English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: Scanlines or NO scanlines?
Yes, I prefer scanlines. 81 29.14%
No, I don't like scanlines. 173 62.23%
I don't care which one. Any would do fine for me. 24 8.63%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 November 2020, 17:36   #481
Foebane
Banned

I ought to mention that the last time I saw a CRT in the UK was only a few years ago, in a furniture and electrical charity shop, where I saw the old-fashioned TVs in that section of the shop slowly disappear as the years went by and the tubes failed.

After having experienced HD displays on Blu-rays for several years at that point, I found it so jarring looking at a CRT TV in around 2016 that made a noise, was flickery beyond belief, was bright and ill-defined as this one was, and it made me wonder what we ever saw in such displays that was appealing, or I did at least. The image of BAT in the Amiga screenshot above reminded me of that day.

At least those CRTs were cheap, even the big ones.

I did think of buying one, but I didn't want to deal with a big, bulky set when I simply no more had room for it, and I was so used to modern displays, and it would only be delaying the inevitable.

My first LCD display was a cheap affair in 2004 at around £100, but it was really bad, as the viewing angle was tiny, and I was constantly bobbing my head trying to get a decent view of the black levels. Luckily, I was soon able to afford a more expensive model, and the picture was much improved. And these were 4:3 models, long before 16:9 became the norm.
Old 27 November 2020, 20:50   #482
Dunny

It really doesn't matter that Foebane doesn't like simulated CRT for his Amiga emulation - other people do like it and they're gonna use it whether he likes it or not. And it just gets better as GPUs get more and more powerful.
Old 27 November 2020, 20:56   #483
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

CRT Guest currently works on his overhauled Retro-Arch CRT shader. And it looks better than ever. No way i use emulation without something like that. Lores graphics were designed with CRT masks/scanlines in mind.
Old 27 November 2020, 21:05   #484
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
It really doesn't matter that Foebane doesn't like simulated CRT for his Amiga emulation - other people do like it and they're gonna use it whether he likes it or not. And it just gets better as GPUs get more and more powerful.
I don't even use a GPU.