English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 November 2017, 17:54   #481
Lisiak4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drHirudo View Post
That toxic attitude exists for long time ago (more than a decade). Probably because Amiga users were used to extremely good games for free (back from early 1990) and later the very good Aminet releases (full Point&Click adventures, Cannon Fodder clones etc), their expectations are pretty high and tolerance is very low.

Back in early 2000-ies I was developing a lot for the classic Amigas. Since I was very bad at graphics (my best was 8-bit quality gfx) and even worse at music, I had to find people for the graphics and the music. Okay, I found a young willing artist from Norway (Im>bE), who helped me a lot with the graphics and I used some music from demo scene artists (with permission from them). After months of hard work of coding, testing, putting everything together and making the best effort to make my games Enforcer hits free and as system friendly as possible, I started releasing Amiga games on Aminet. I knew they weren't the best ones, but I was improving over time and getting more and more satisfied while polishing the games, adding more features, levels, better graphics etc...

Then I released the game BoxWorld 2 and even it got featured as news on the amiga-news.de site. That was a pretty achievement for me and I was very happy. Until I've read the comments under the article http://amiga-news.de/de/news/comment...l?frm_start=30 that killed most of my future motivation for the Amiga. People complaining about the graphics - why not using graphic cards features, why not higher resolution etc. I wanted to make my games using as few resources as possible and even working on Amiga 500, while still compatible with graphics cards and 68060 processors. No point in using fast processors or graphics cards for games that will work on Amiga 500 fine. I wasn't expecting getting slammed for a game that was public domain. I couldn't even imagine what comments it would have been if I did the graphics by myself. Oh well whatever, the graphic artist told me to ignore the comments and that we shall continue making enjoyable games, but for me the Amiga world was not the same again. Later I bought AmigaOne and started mostly porting emulators, I've finished some older projects and eventually ported the games to MacOS X and PC (thanks SDL most of the code stayed from the Amiga), but there was no point for me in creating new games for Amiga anymore.
Pity, that you are had let so discourage with negative comment to the game BoxWorld 2.
Old 02 November 2017, 18:52   #482
LeCaravage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
Instead of talking:

http://flashtro.com/games/alco-copter/

I did some graphics for this small demo.

Fort Apocalypse with Beers
Looks nice.
Do you plan a 512Kb Chip Ram version ?
Old 02 November 2017, 19:06   #483
nobody

Alphaone is doing the game. I just updated the graphics. One of the first versions that he send me was running with 512k+512k but had the old graphics.
Old 02 November 2017, 23:17   #484
DamienD
Banned

Nice one guys

@Alpha One; should I create a new thread for your game so it's not lost in this one?

Edit: done anyway; see this thread: [Ongoing] Alco-Copter
Old 03 November 2017, 02:21   #485
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post

Attached is an example from an upcoming part of the Amiga Future Blitz Tutorial series. There's no game associated, but it's a smoothly animated AGA sprite that can walk left and right with parallax scrolling, and all graphics are from OpenGameArt.org. A massive improvement over my stick-man drawings
Is this using separated bitplanes on the same playfield for parallax scroll? 'Cause I'd *LOVE* to learn that for my next-next project (The one I'm working now is nearly finished, hope to release it before new year's eve )

This, doing parallax scroll using copper (by dividing the same bitmap on different layers with different speeds) and redrawing sprites using the copper are the 3 things I would really like to figure out how to do with Blitz Basic, but I believe can't be done without using asm.

And on topic.

I wouldn't mind see some 8 bits alike games on Amiga. If you can't form a team, I guess its ok if its a simpler game. I really wish I had more free time, Quasarius took me just 3 weeks to code (and a little more time to figure out how to make the whole file work under KS 1.3 and iron out the wrong colors on AGA system bug), but I was on vacations... something I won't have again for a long time I guess . My next game is coming out finely, but its taking a lot longer to do because of no free time (and sometimes I get home just too tired to spend time coding).
Old 07 November 2017, 20:09   #486
appiah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCaravage View Post
Fort Apocalypse with Beers
Looks nice.
Do you plan a 512Kb Chip Ram version ?
Fort Apocalypse was one of my top five favorite games from the Atari 800XL..
Old 08 November 2017, 14:05   #487
NorthWay

Fort Apocalypse source is available - a port would be nice.
Old 08 November 2017, 14:22   #488
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
Is this using separated bitplanes on the same playfield for parallax scroll? 'Cause I'd *LOVE* to learn that for my next-next project
Afraid not, it's a dual playfield display with a third layer of parallax provided by the cloud, which is a sprite appearing between the two playfields. So simple enough, no copper tricks or anything fancy used.
Old 06 December 2017, 17:54   #489
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Regarding toxic comments:
[ Show youtube player ]

Read the comments under the video...

And you wonder, why people aren't interested in coding for this platform.
Old 06 December 2017, 18:08   #490
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
And here is where I go back to my comment about what one can do about it.
So there are two comments saying the game is shit. Does it enrage you? Upset you? Good. Vent that into making more or better what you already are working on, instead of being like "I quit" or "no wonder people don't want to do anything for Amiga".
You can also read into it and try to take something positive out of their not very well thought-out comments. One can ask oneself: "is there a level of truth to what they say?", and act accordingly.

Shut the haters mouth. Best technique. Otherwise, their words become true, and they win.
Old 06 December 2017, 18:19   #491
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
And here is where I go back to my comment about what one can do about it.
So there are two comments saying the game is shit. Does it enrage you? Upset you? Good. Vent that into making more or better what you already are working on, instead of being like "I quit" or "no wonder people don't want to do anything for Amiga".
You can also read into it and try to take something positive out of their not very well thought-out comments. One can ask oneself: "is there a level of truth to what they say?", and act accordingly.

Shut the haters mouth. Best technique. Otherwise, their words become true, and they win.
if the only "profit" from work are positive comments I understand if people loose interest. It is very regretable because those people mostly do not use amigas anymore (if they have ever) and never programmed and only feel important if they can speek shit. Regarding the video... two comments who cares. The same for this old forum discussion. The problem is that not enough people give positive feedback even if they like and use something. But generally everyone should do something for his/her own and not expecting positive feedback or donations.
Old 06 December 2017, 18:23   #492
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Whenever someone makes this kind of "critic" to something I'm offering for free (and it did happen with my game Quasarius), I usually reply with "Oh, it's ok you didn't like it, I'll refund you".

Fuck people slagging other people's work for FREE like this. I received lots of constructive criticism for my game (And I am not delirious about my game, I know exactly the kind of game I made and I know it wouldn't turn the world upside down), and it's good to read them.

But people saying "its shit" its just.... tell them to go fuck themselves or just ignore them.
Old 06 December 2017, 18:26   #493
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
Whenever someone makes this kind of "critic" to something I'm offering for free (and it did happen with my game Quasarius), I usually reply with "Oh, it's ok you didn't like it, I'll refund you".

Fuck people slagging other people's work for FREE like this. I received lots of constructive criticism for my game (And I am not delirious about my game, I know exactly the kind of game I made and I know it wouldn't turn the world upside down), and it's good to read them.

But people saying "its shit" its just.... tell them to go fuck themselves or just ignore them.
unfortunately often critic is not constructive but those people are not interested in constructive critic anyway, they feel important by explaining others how the world goes round and there are only idiots except them who have not enough brain to understand. The world (expecially the WWW) is full of such idiots.
Old 06 December 2017, 18:46   #494
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
The problem is that not enough people give positive feedback even if they like and use something.
It's true, many times people just don't give any kind of feedback about something you do. I find this to be worse than getting negative feedback or hate. But it is also a problem that the "currency" upon which this transaction becomes fruitful and successful is "positive comments". There are a lot of people who make stuff and cannot take a single negative comment about what they are making, even if it is constructive.
And honestly, many times you can explain things a lot in detail, but some things are just plain shit. It's just that you can provide better and more explanatory feedback besides that. Like, why exactly do you think this is shit? "The Amiga can do better" is hardly an explanation, it's just a bullshit blanket comment.

Personally, in my own experience making something for Amiga, I often wish people would give -any- kind of feedback about the software, and I often appreciate more those who come to me with suggestions and reports of shit that doesn't work for them (it shows that they tried the software and have their own ideas on how to make it work better) , than just the "AMIGA IS AWESOME" positive comment that adds nothing (probably from people that never even used the program).
Old 06 December 2017, 19:07   #495
OmegaMax
Knight Of The Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
There are a lot of people who make stuff and cannot take a single negative comment about what they are making, even if it is constructive.
Agreed and it's absolutely true
Old 06 December 2017, 19:09   #496
nobody

This video says that 75 games were made for ...Amstrad CPC in 2016 and most of them are way better than anything on the Amiga at the same period. Funny but true.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 06 December 2017, 19:13   #497
Amigajay

Ignore that pair of ***** of YT Steril, if they can’t give any decent feedback it’s not worth listening too.

It’s a PD game ffs! unless you are trying to sell it as a full price release most coders will work at something over a few months at a guess as I guess boredom and lack of motivation kicks in.

And before anyone compared PD games to back then, a lot of PD games actually made money back then, so it’s totally different people now doing it for a couple of hundred people that will download it, with only a handful likely to comment I can understand, but places like YT/Twitter/FB etc are just bullying halls that really people shouldn’t be taking much notice of.
Old 06 December 2017, 19:22   #498
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Disable the comments in Youtube, problem solved. Unless you're fishing for compliments there. I never care what people say under the YT clips. Especially when it comes to Retro stuff.
Old 06 December 2017, 19:50   #499
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Regarding toxic comments:
[ Show youtube player ]

Read the comments under the video...

I saw your comment in the other thread about this. I would say just take a step back, think about it, put it in perspective and carry on with what you're doing as it comes across as if you enjoy it.

Unfortunately YouTube comments are probably the worst for this kind of thing. I think other people have said similar, but they're probably made by people who will never play your game, or have any interest in it, they've watched a bit of a video of someone else playing it and have made a quick comment (presumably trying to be 'edgy') and move on swiftly. I once got a bit annoyed at a particularly harsh comment on one of my games but I'm immune to it now - I just ignore them as they're obviously from people who never tried it, just seen the graphics (or whatever) in the video and decided to share their opinion (as they are entitled to do, of course).

There do appear to be too many pathetically trainspottery people who insist on counting every last colour on the screen and timing with a stopwatch the speed of any scrolling that may occur (presumably whilst wearing an anorak) but their opinion doesn't count for anything. If somebody has taken the time to play it and is honest enough to say they do/don't like your work and can give you some proper feedback to what's good/bad in their eyes then that's much more valuable and you can then take that on board as you wish, so I'd shut out all the 'noise' and focus on that. Good luck!
Old 06 December 2017, 19:57   #500
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
And before anyone compared PD games to back then, a lot of PD games actually made money back then, so it’s totally different people now doing it for a couple of hundred people that will download it, with only a handful likely to comment I can understand, but places like YT/Twitter/FB etc are just bullying halls that really people shouldn’t be taking much notice of.
Well, nowadays almost everything released for Amiga is PD.

I think also the problem is that being that there aren't many new games for Amiga, everything gets shown in the same way. Perhaps, probably, I'd say almost definitely, this is not a game that should have been shown on Youtube in the manner it was shown. So the reaction is kind of "expected".

I again think Steril707 is throwing the baby out with the bathwater by reacting like this after two moronic comments on Youtube of this quick game he made. Don't do that, Steril707. Take the high ground. Shelving Inviya because of these two idiots is a punch on the face to those who support you and expressed so repeatedly in these forums.