English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 November 2017, 13:16   #441
Daedalus

There was talk of the add-on board being required to mix a second external source since the chip only mixed from one other source, which was typically the Paula output. I hadn't heard that this had changed...
Old 16 November 2017, 13:34   #442
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
There was talk of the add-on board being required to mix a second external source since the chip only mixed from one other source, which was typically the Paula output. I hadn't heard that this had changed...
From my understanding, it auto detects the audio and switches the input.
I will try and confirm this. Will also ask about status of Digital addon.
Old 16 November 2017, 14:26   #443
trixster
Guru Meditating

I use a Prisma in my 4000 and I think it is absolutely fantastic.
Old 17 November 2017, 11:00   #444
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
Originally Posted by starship View Post
This card is dead. No spdif, no ahi. Card only for use with amigaamp. other programs doesnt support mhi.
Why is this card "dead"?

It is still in production, you can still buy it, it is supported by AmigaKit. It serves the purpose it was made for, it makes listening to mp3s / flac on an Amiga a seamless process and is great for Internet radio. I don't believe it was ever advertised as an ahi-capable sound card, so it's doing exactly what it was intended for. Maybe they should not have mentioned the spdif add-on and perhaps some of the initial cdda issues could have been addressed a little sooner, but I fail to see why it is "dead"? That's complete nonsense. If you want to play mp3s on an Amiga it's a good product.
Old 17 November 2017, 12:20   #445
spudje

So what happened in the mean time that cdda should work now? As Dan Wood indicated earlier in this thread he couldn't get it to work. Then it was claimed a software update was needed to make it work. But the developers took a break they said (i.e. have abandoned the Prisma till now) so I cannot image cdda started working all by itself...
Old 17 November 2017, 13:36   #446
trixster
Guru Meditating

Perhaps cdda is still not operating, I have not tried it because I am feeding cdda and Paula audio into the sound-blaster and then sending that mix into the prisma. Even so, if cdda does not work at the moment I'm sure it will be implemented, things just take a while in the Amiga world, it does not mean that this project is "dead".
Old 17 November 2017, 13:44   #447
Daedalus

It would be very simple to produce a small add-on module with just a mixer on it, based on any one of a number of designs already out there. Maybe I'll look into this shortly if nothing else shows up.
Old 17 November 2017, 15:28   #448
lantus360
MVG

As the developer who ported Chocolate Heretic and added MHI Prisma support , i too believe that this card is 'dead'. the promised CDDA addon never appeared and i haven't seen much developer support for this card at all.
Old 17 November 2017, 15:29   #449
lantus360
MVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
It already passes through CDDA from CD-ROM.
yeah, it doesnt
Old 18 November 2017, 00:13   #450
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Why is this card "dead"?
It is still in production
you really think so? its been designed and produced years before it arrived as a product due to problems with software support as it appears.

Quote:
you can still buy it
id assume there is simply a stock to sell, to start with. demand seems to have been satisfied so far. thats why its still available and you see no further requests. but well..

Quote:
it is supported by AmigaKit.
what does this support consists of?

Quote:
It serves the purpose it was made for, it makes listening to mp3s / flac on an Amiga a seamless process and is great for Internet radio.
exactly. that is the limited application area you can expect to be covered by such a specialized device, originally constructed for another simple application. namely, it is an audio stream decoder, good for an mp3 thumb, nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:
I don't believe it was ever advertised as an ahi-capable sound card, so it's doing exactly what it was intended for.
it was repeatedly advertised as a "sound card". which for an average amiga user means of course an all purpose sound card like all the others, that equipped with an ahi driver behave transparently to the system. after being called on this, the excuse was, that an ahi driver might be delivered later. i think that both coders, who actually volunteered to rescue this hardware and its usability, just because it was already there sitting useless in a storage, and wrote some proper while limited drivers, apparently for free, after evereryone else failed, feel like they are oblidged to further support.

Quote:
Maybe they should not have mentioned the spdif add-on and perhaps some of the initial cdda issues could have been addressed a little sooner, but I fail to see why it is "dead"? That's complete nonsense. If you want to play mp3s on an Amiga it's a good product.
maybe itd "dead" in a sense that it is a set in stone piece of hardware, that at the time its been comissioned, there was juat a quick hacky idea for, rather than a proper concept behind it. then, after its been invested in, commissioned design delivered and a batch quickly produced, it was too late to change anything about it, because it was not a proper concept in the first place.

at least the whole odyssey this project has went through semms to have come to an end. good that there is customers, satisfied with it, as is.
Old 21 November 2017, 08:38   #451
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

While it was really annonunced as a "sound card" at the beginning, it's been clearly said that this card is for decoding MP3s for a long time.

Seems, it's doing that, and most people are quite happy with their purchase here. Nobody was deceived.

I guess, some people just always need to talk things down.
Old 21 November 2017, 08:54   #452
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
While it was really annonunced as a "sound card" at the beginning, it's been clearly said that this card is for decoding MP3s for a long time.
An MP3 decoder card also qualifies as a sound card in my book as it produces sounds.. They never stated that it was a general purpose sound card and as you said it was always quite clear that people should not expect AHI support from it.
Old 30 March 2018, 21:12   #453
trixster
Guru Meditating

Has anyone tried connecting a Prisma to a clockport other than the one on an A1200? A clockport on a Deneb, or VarIO, or X-Surf for instance?
Old 30 March 2018, 21:44   #454
bubbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Has anyone tried connecting a Prisma to a clockport other than the one on an A1200? A clockport on a Deneb, or VarIO, or X-Surf for instance?
The current development driver supports most clockports, the V1 (which you have) should support at least the Deneb CP. Not all X-Surf clockports are currently supported because of their implementation in hardware.

Just try it, you can't damage anything - if you don't connect it the wrong way around, that is.
Old 30 March 2018, 22:25   #455
trixster
Guru Meditating

When I get back to the UK I certainly intend to give it a try! I was just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with attaching one to a clockport in a big box amiga so far.
Old 01 April 2018, 13:11   #456
amiga1260

Are there any news about new drivers of this card?
Old 03 April 2018, 20:15   #457
peceha

Quote:
It also means all you programmers out there can make your programs control the Prisma card with a few simple Arexx messages, for example:

rx "ADDRESS PRISMA_MSG_PORT 'PLAY'"

rx "ADDRESS PRISMA_MSG_PORT 'STOP'"

rx "ADDRESS PRISMA_MSG_PORT 'VOLUME 10'"
How to make it work ?
I've been trying and trying and nothing...
Old 04 April 2018, 15:46   #458
daxb

Maybe you need to substitute PRISMA_MSG_PORT with the valid message port name? The docs should tell you.
Old 04 April 2018, 20:04   #459
peceha

And that's what I'm doing:

First I start a song, then I check what ports are open (SAY SHOW("P")) and I see that there is a PrismaPlay port. So I type:
Code:
rx "ADDRESS PrismaPlay 'STOP'"
and it gives me:
Quote:
Host environtment not found
Old 04 April 2018, 22:07   #460
daxb

In your example "PrismaPlay" becomes "PRISMAPLAY" and because of ADDRESS distinguishes upper and lower case the host cannot be found. Try this:
Code:
rx "ADDRESS 'PrismaPlay' 'STOP'"