English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 April 2020, 14:33   #401
KK/Altair

I do have a website - it's just massively outdated. I throw any new productions on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter anyway. I never really got into Instagram and TikTok is probably no place for this, though.
Old 26 April 2020, 16:21   #402
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK/Altair View Post
Why?
Just a small joke referring to the Slashdot effect
Old 04 May 2020, 17:11   #403
KK/Altair

Another "making-of" part is out. Have fun!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 04 May 2020, 20:53   #404
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Something that came in my mind - together with of course optimized textures for your palette: would a mixed use of 32x32 and 64x64 pixel textures use more memory? (of course will lose detail but for some areas that should be ok)
Or the editor could choose whwther use 32x32 or 64x64 at the beginning
Old 04 May 2020, 21:16   #405
jayminer

Love your videos! Keep it up!
Old 04 May 2020, 21:23   #406
KK/Altair

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Something that came in my mind - together with of course optimized textures for your palette: would a mixed use of 32x32 and 64x64 pixel textures use more memory? (of course will lose detail but for some areas that should be ok)
Or the editor could choose whwther use 32x32 or 64x64 at the beginning
At one point I was even considering using both 64x64 and 32x32 (the latter for mipmaps). But right now is 64x* to simplify things. I tried also 32x32, but textures lost so much detail up close, that I have gone for quality, but it's not a final decision.

I have also one solution in mind, to include the intermediate column index table to compress textures a little. With this approach, each texture would basically be up to 512 columns wide list of pointers, each column pointing to specific data in memory. This way you could splice different textures into one in any way imaginable (e.g. paint metal supports on walls, or break repetitions) as well as compress things by reusing pixel columns, possibly with different vertical offsets. This will also mean we are no longer limited to powers of two when wrapping horizontally, because there will be no wrapping - just a list 512 columns for each texture.

Also we are not limited to powers of two in scaling. 48x48 could be a good compromise. I was considering that, but didn't go for it because it would mean recreating all assets.

In the end, the final decision doesn't have to be made right now and we will see what will come.
Old 04 May 2020, 21:23   #407
Gorf

that is really great! (re)writing history!
Old 04 May 2020, 21:25   #408
KK/Altair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayminer View Post
Love your videos! Keep it up!
I have to say the same about Your work. I'm a great fan of both Atari VCS and Amiga - great and really elegant platforms.

Thanks for making this world a better and much more enjoyable place.

EDIT: Sorry I completely mixed things up. Fixed now.

Last edited by KK/Altair; 04 May 2020 at 22:09.
Old 04 May 2020, 22:30   #409
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

@KK/Altair

The head designer of the Amiga chipsets and Atari VCS died shortly after Commodore did. That's just a screen name. Sorry to bring bad news.
Old 04 May 2020, 23:39   #410
KK/Altair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
@KK/Altair

The head designer of the Amiga chipsets and Atari VCS died shortly after Commodore did. That's just a screen name. Sorry to bring bad news.
Too bad... still appreciating what he did.

On the other hand, I've seen R. J. Mical enjoying my works, so I'm still flattered.
Old 05 May 2020, 08:51   #411
Mathesar

Great video again.
Also, I didn't mention it last time, but I like the intro

The fact that the video series deal with level design instead of the more technical aspects of the game is something that is really smart when I think about it. It makes the videos accessible to a broader public and it will also help in the future when people will maybe be able to make their own maps.
The level design of this game really makes it feel like a proper doom. Small touches like the outdoor key structure, exit signs, subtle ligthing, see through corridors, etc, etc, are all brilliantly done.

Keep it up and looking forward to the next installment
Old 05 May 2020, 08:54   #412
Mathesar

Quote:
Too bad... still appreciating what he did.

On the other hand, I've seen R. J. Mical enjoying my works, so I'm still flattered.
You made it to one of my favourite sites, hackaday!!!!
https://hackaday.com/2020/05/04/doom...a-couldve-had/
Old 05 May 2020, 12:29   #413
d4rk3lf

Great job again.

One question:
Within mods, are we going to be able to use only flat shaded polygons, or gradients on them? If yes, will that give it a high boost?
------------

Oh, aand you asked on youtube what software we are using for motion graphics kind of stuff. I personally use After Effects, but also an (strictly) editing app like Adobe Premiere, is capable of rotating, moving, scaling images with alpha, and animating text.
So, if Adobe can do it, my guess is that the app you are using (was it Da Vinci resolve?) can do it no problem.
Just google: "Da Vinci Resolve motion graphics".
[ Show youtube player ]

Something like this maybe, but maybe there are better tuts.
Old 15 June 2020, 12:07   #414
Mathesar

Enjoyed the last video a lot!
Any updates?
Old 15 June 2020, 13:55   #415
KK/Altair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post
Enjoyed the last video a lot!
Any updates?
Reworked asset converter pipeline completely and now it gives much finer control over every single asset. Implemented a few new dithering methods - none works better than the current one, but they all have lots of tweakable parameters now, adjustable per-asset, which allowed getting rid of red pixels on the hand (it came a bit yellowish due to palette, though) without destroying anything else. I've got great custom made graphics for weapon sprites as well as some graphics and font for the menu, so getting them into the engine will be next. Things should start looking more like a game and less like a techdemo soon.
Old 15 June 2020, 23:04   #416
eXeler0

Quote:
Reworked asset converter pipeline completely and now it gives much finer control over every single asset. Implemented a few new dithering methods - none works better than the current one, but they all have lots of tweakable parameters now, adjustable per-asset, which allowed getting rid of red pixels on the hand (it came a bit yellowish due to palette, though) without destroying anything else. I've got great custom made graphics for weapon sprites as well as some graphics and font for the menu, so getting them into the engine will be next. Things should start looking more like a game and less like a techdemo soon.
When you're done, we should preinstall it on an A500 and send it in a box to John Carmack ;-)
Old 25 June 2020, 08:50   #417
Nishicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
Let's be honest here, doing anything on the Amiga nowadays is a waste of time.
I don't have a problem with honesty. I do have a problem with sweeping statements, though.

I use my Amiga for creating graphics, and I do NOT consider that a waste of time. The Amiga offers the best and most user-friendly experience for graphics creation (even if we discount nostalgy and Amiga's 'inspirational atmosphere'). It also frees me from the PC side, so I don't have to keep all my eggs in one basket, figuratively speaking.

It's always great to have a holiday from modern PC side, especially when creating something. Why would you consider creativity, a basic, divine aspect of humanity, to be a waste of time? If so, then the creation of all existence has been and is waste of time!

The Amiga offers me a much 'smoother' graphics-creating experience than I have ever had with any system, computer or method. I used WinUAE with everything set up as well as I could for precise (and slowed down) mouse cursor control and was able to get good results - but the feel of doing the same on a real Amiga just can't be compared.

Logically thinking, the difference shouldn't be that big - and since you can customize mouse precisions, accelerations and speeds pretty nicely, it should be pretty much the same experience, but maybe just feel a bit better due to nostalgy and atmosphere.

However, this effect and its enormity surprised me - I certainly didn't expect it to even happen. Not only did it happen, but it's still mindblowing to me, just how big that contrast is between using PC (and insert whatever drawing package, or any Amiga emulation) and Amiga truly is.

I thought I had been swallowed by hubris back in the day, and Amiga wasn't as much a creative people's computer as I thought, and powerful enough PC should be able to perform the Amiga 'feats' easily anyway (proven by Amiga emulators being not only possible, but a casual reality).

However, try it yourself, use any PC with any software you want to draw some low-resolution pixel art picture or animation, and then do a similar thing on a real Amiga, and see, which feels smoother or has a better 'flow' to it.

If using Amiga is a 'waste of time', then pretty much -anything- that entertains you or feels good to use / do / experience / etc. can be considered a 'waste of time'.

You are really opening a huge can of worms here.. waste of time? I think writing ignorance-based silliness in forums is way more wasteful of time than using an Amiga.

I can -somewhat- see what you mean, if you change your phrasing to something like 'creating something FOR the Amiga that already exists as a better form on another platform' or 'trying to port a lesser game TO Amiga, when a better one already exists for the Amiga'.

But just doing ANYTHING _ON_ the Amiga a waste of time?

Do you think modern art is NOT a waste of time, but drawing something beautiful on the Amiga is?

Honestly, I wish people would THINK before they post this kind of insulting, sweeping lies.
Old 25 June 2020, 09:20   #418
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishicorn View Post
Honestly, I wish people would THINK before they post this kind of insulting, sweeping lies.
I also wish people would THINK before getting all worked up about something that was clearly not meant as a serious comment. Reading comprehension goes a long way (and would also be nice if you'd not taken the quote out of context while calling me a liar).
Old 25 June 2020, 09:43   #419
Konrad

I wish some people would keep there answers a little shorter ;-). Especially doing so in multiple threads over a very short time.
Old 25 June 2020, 10:10   #420
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishicorn View Post
I don't have a problem with honesty. I do have a problem with sweeping statements, though.

I use my Amiga for creating graphics, and I do NOT consider that a waste of time. The Amiga offers the best and most user-friendly experience for graphics creation (even if we discount nostalgy and Amiga's 'inspirational atmosphere'). It also frees me from the PC side, so I don't have to keep all my eggs in one basket, figuratively speaking.

It's always great to have a holiday from modern PC side, especially when creating something. Why would you consider creativity, a basic, divine aspect of humanity, to be a waste of time? If so, then the creation of all existence has been and is waste of time!

The Amiga offers me a much 'smoother' graphics-creating experience than I have ever had with any system, computer or method. I used WinUAE with everything set up as well as I could for precise (and slowed down) mouse cursor control and was able to get good results - but the feel of doing the same on a real Amiga just can't be compared.

Logically thinking, the difference shouldn't be that big - and since you can customize mouse precisions, accelerations and speeds pretty nicely, it should be pretty much the same experience, but maybe just feel a bit better due to nostalgy and atmosphere.

However, this effect and its enormity surprised me - I certainly didn't expect it to even happen. Not only did it happen, but it's still mindblowing to me, just how big that contrast is between using PC (and insert whatever drawing package, or any Amiga emulation) and Amiga truly is.

I thought I had been swallowed by hubris back in the day, and Amiga wasn't as much a creative people's computer as I thought, and powerful enough PC should be able to perform the Amiga 'feats' easily anyway (proven by Amiga emulators being not only possible, but a casual reality).

However, try it yourself, use any PC with any software you want to draw some low-resolution pixel art picture or animation, and then do a similar thing on a real Amiga, and see, which feels smoother or has a better 'flow' to it.

If using Amiga is a 'waste of time', then pretty much -anything- that entertains you or feels good to use / do / experience / etc. can be considered a 'waste of time'.

You are really opening a huge can of worms here.. waste of time? I think writing ignorance-based silliness in forums is way more wasteful of time than using an Amiga.

I can -somewhat- see what you mean, if you change your phrasing to something like 'creating something FOR the Amiga that already exists as a better form on another platform' or 'trying to port a lesser game TO Amiga, when a better one already exists for the Amiga'.

But just doing ANYTHING _ON_ the Amiga a waste of time?

Do you think modern art is NOT a waste of time, but drawing something beautiful on the Amiga is?

You are really becoming my favorite poster on this site...

Did you even read what he was writing there?