English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.aGTW

Old 16 April 2012, 19:07   #401
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Indeed.
But why should publishers have any entitlement whatsoever?

An original has been bought. If I sell my PS3, do I have to send some money to Sony because they didn't get a cut of the resale value?

Most of these shops don't just sell second hand games, they sell the machines second hand as well, by that logic, we shouldn't be allowed to sell that hardware because poor Sony and Microsoft are losing sales?!?!

EDIT: Codetappers example is a clearer example.
Old 16 April 2012, 19:08   #402
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Happy

You all are an ungrateful bunch.

It is thanks to all these techniques and the money they get from it that they can offer you bug-free games that have been thoroughtly tested, a lot of content for the games and notably free extra levels through the years, nicely crafted paper manuals and take a lot of risks pushing innovative ideas.

Would you imagine how the video market would be otherwise? Picture a world with games ridden of bugs, not only at launch but even after a lot of patches, manuals only provided as pdf (at best), paying DLCs, cheaply conceived sequels...
Old 17 April 2012, 01:39   #403
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
But why should they make any money on the 2nd hand market? When Toyota sells a car and someone on-sells it, Toyota aren't complaining that they should get a cut. Why do the recording industry, movie industry and games publishers think they should get to clip the ticket multiple times?

The record companies in particular are the worst as they've resold the same music on LP, cassette, CD etc multiple times due to new formats.
I've been making this exact same point, No other industry that sells products gets this privilege so why should video games.

The annoying thing is it seems like most video game journalists are all on board with stamping out used video game sales.
Probably due to the fact that video game publishers try to paint this image of the poor video game developer seeing no money in an attempt to try and make more money for themselves.

The whole online pass is the biggest red herring going.
Old 17 April 2012, 12:45   #404
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
You all are an ungrateful bunch.

It is thanks to all these techniques and the money they get from it that they can offer you bug-free games that have been thoroughtly tested, a lot of content for the games and notably free extra levels through the years, nicely crafted paper manuals and take a lot of risks pushing innovative ideas.

Would you imagine how the video market would be otherwise? Picture a world with games ridden of bugs, not only at launch but even after a lot of patches, manuals only provided as pdf (at best), paying DLCs, cheaply conceived sequels...
What the fuck are you smoking exactly???

There is charging for something, and then there is downright taking advantage of people who are clueless!!

Oh and for the record Babylonian Twins Android is buggy and fucked my phone up, this required a reset to get going again and I lost some of my data etc..

I am not ungrateful but when they force ads down your throat, then push coins to continue in the game.. Pure, unadulterated greed and if it wasn't for THIS community then they wouldn't necessarily be where they are now!

I am not asking for anything for free, I am asking for these developers to be reasonable and not greedy. 10million downloads at £1 per game.. You do the math!
Old 17 April 2012, 12:49   #405
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
What the fuck are you smoking exactly???
I am pretty sure lillalurl was being sarcastic, Bippy. Chillax.
Old 17 April 2012, 12:50   #406
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I am pretty sure lillalurl was being sarcastic, Bippy. Chillax.
Hmmm.. Okay sorry lillalurl
Old 17 April 2012, 12:53   #407
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I am going to buy some popcorn. Please, reserve a seat for me in the first row, this will be interesting 8)
Old 17 April 2012, 15:22   #408
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Happy

No worry

Akira probably got a variation of Toni's crystal ball made for detecting sarcasm

Actually, I have one to sell. Requires an USB3 port but is retro-compatible with USB2 ports (although you might get occasional slowdowns).

Works on most Windows version. Well, Win 7 drivers are not perfectly stable yet but we are working on it. Linux and Mac drivers are under development but should be finished once the crystal ball is shipped to you, trust me.
It also possible that it may conflict in rare cases with some video cards (but only the ATI and Nvidia ones).

Count on me to ensure support and develop drivers that will work with the next versions of Windows...

Oh, being sarcastic again
Old 18 April 2012, 05:04   #409
demoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
But why should they make any money on the 2nd hand market? When Toyota sells a car and someone on-sells it, Toyota aren't complaining that they should get a cut. Why do the recording industry, movie industry and games publishers think they should get to clip the ticket multiple times?

The record companies in particular are the worst as they've resold the same music on LP, cassette, CD etc multiple times due to new formats.
Ah, but in this case these guys haven't made money the first time around.

Multiple formats are just that. I would pay for an upgrade in sound/video if warranted. Remastering audio is an inexpensive way to come out with a new version of a product. However, porting an Amiga game to iOS or Android requires much more resource.

I'm not defending them, but there are business reasons for the choices they made that aren't public as with any company. Sometimes the outcome isn't what they planned.
Old 18 April 2012, 08:39   #410
BippyM
Global Moderator

demoniac.. I agree these guys deserve to make money on the game, but at what expense to the consumer??

Why not sell it for £1-£2 and market it effectively. This will generate more than enough sales, and they self-publish so apart from the basic costs the money goes to them (Google fee's etc)!

Look at the success of Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, Fruit Ninja etc.. These are all mega huge titles that sell for a ridiculously low price, and still made the developers extremely wealthy!
Old 18 April 2012, 08:48   #411
fryguy

Perhaps someone can ask them politely again about the Amigaversion.
Old 18 April 2012, 11:20   #412
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
I am going to buy some popcorn. Please, reserve a seat for me in the first row, this will be interesting 8)
/me hands Predseda some popcorn and joins him on the first row...

Been a while now that I started a thread to show the devs that there would be people that would buy the Amiga version. The iPhone version sold well it seems, yet the completed and ready Amiga version isn't available in any form. I'd say they simply don't bother about the few Amiga user. I can understand it from a commercial point of view. Chances are slim that they'll change their minds after 3 years.
Old 18 April 2012, 20:47   #413
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
/me hands Predseda some popcorn and joins him on the first row...

Been a while now that I started a thread to show the devs that there would be people that would buy the Amiga version. The iPhone version sold well it seems, yet the completed and ready Amiga version isn't available in any form. I'd say they simply don't bother about the few Amiga user. I can understand it from a commercial point of view. Chances are slim that they'll change their minds after 3 years.
Thing is, how similar is the Amiga version to the mobile versions in reality?

I'd say the newer versions are more polished, better looking and far easier for the average Joe to access!

There is no reason or threat in not releasing an Amiga version imo!
Old 18 April 2012, 21:13   #414
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Seems like all those smooth Amiga emulators for mobile devices scare the living hell out of the publishers!

(Note: Above statement might be sarcastic)

On a more serious note: Exactly Bippy. I'd say they should release it for free, but hey it's not my choice and I've given up hope a long time ago. I'm outta here. All the best for the believers.
Old 01 December 2012, 03:55   #415
s2325
Zone Friend

Android version have no support for hardware buttons, many games have this feature. But it have most most important things - Facebook and Twitter buttons...
Old 01 December 2012, 07:35   #416
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Let's hope the Amiga version will feature those when it is finally released .
Old 01 December 2012, 09:03   #417
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

And the C64 version will have a tweet-how-much-you-love-this-game live WiFi feature... at least so I heard

Btw... I think the Amiga demo version was a mere teaser to give a quite good, but nothing special mobile platform game a nice background story. You could say a well planned marketing strategy and I am guilty of playing along... Need to have a shower now
Old 03 December 2012, 16:40   #418
Vollldo

Yes it is clear that they won't never release it on amiga. Their goal is to make $$$, nothing else. Of course they are totally free of their choices, but well, like TheCyberDruid said, they used in a matter of way the amiga community to promote it. And as a consequence, not to release it seems a bit like to take all of us for fools... But it is the law of busine$$, they f****** don't care about releasing it on an amiga. Fortunatly all devs don't have the same view, for example Pierre Pamade with Snow Bros .

Old 03 December 2012, 16:46   #419
s2325
Zone Friend

It's easy to find "free" version, I can not imagine that someone paid for that game. It may be not bad game for us but imagine disappointment of some kid.
Old 03 December 2012, 16:47   #420
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Yeah and if it weren't for this board, they wouldn't have made a dime in the first place.