English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 28 May 2023, 21:20   #4161
AMIGASYSTEM

pixie Iconeditor works perfectly with AfA OS, in fact it is recommended.

Peter's icon.library can coexist safely with icon_lib.exe, this is thanks to Peter's help.

You can see DualPNG icons from Dopus4 "perfectly" with one click, you can see in the workbench windows thumbnails of any kind of images with Eastern.

Strange that you don't know "exe.datatype," it is a very know everything tool that an exe file needs to run.
Old 28 May 2023, 21:58   #4162
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
pixie Iconeditor works perfectly with AfA OS, in fact it is recommended.

Peter's icon.library can coexist safely with icon_lib.exe, this is thanks to Peter's help.

You can see DualPNG icons from Dopus4 "perfectly" with one click, you can see in the workbench windows thumbnails of any kind of images with Eastern.
I wasn't talking about iconedit, I eventually got it working. Seems to be a fine piece of software! I am having graphic glitches in icons and windows backgrounds when using both. I am running it on 3.1 though.
Quote:
Strange that you don't know "exe.datatype," it is a very know everything tool that an exe file needs to run.
I've been away from Amiga for a long time, about 20 years I guess, only now I am slowly coming back to the scene.
Old 28 May 2023, 22:38   #4163
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
Seems to be a fine piece of software! I am having graphic glitches in icons and windows backgrounds when using both. I am running it on 3.1 though.
To use both there is a procedure, if you simply copied PeterK's icon.library, it will be ignored.

What kind of problems you have on icons and backgrounds, can you take a screenshot ?

Eventually we are OT here, please open a Thread here on EAB or AROS exec and I can see if I can help you solve the problems.

Quote:
I've been away from Amiga for a long time, about 20 years I guess, only now I am slowly coming back to the scene.
Exe datatypes is an old software, I used it about 30 years ago on my A4000 and on my A1200 and CD32 HD. Exe datatypes is an indispensable tool.
Old 29 May 2023, 00:00   #4164
PeterK

Quote:
I wasn't talking about iconedit, I eventually got it working. Seems to be a fine piece of software! I am having graphic glitches in icons and windows backgrounds when using both. I am running it on 3.1 though.
Excuse me, are you using the NewIcons patch to get transparent icons on OS 3.1, but then running AfA_OS at the same time?

I think nobody has ever tried that. I wouldn't be surprised if such a combination could cause strange effects ...
Old 29 May 2023, 00:38   #4165
pixie

I like to live dangerously! xD by newicon patch, you mean having newicons installed? I took icon_lib from afa folder, yet the graphical glitches still appear
Old 29 May 2023, 08:25   #4166
PeterK

Quote:
What kind of problems you have on icons and backgrounds, can you take a screenshot ?
So, where is your screenshot, pixie ? There are many different sorts of graphical glitches possible.

And if you would upload your startup-sequence, that could also give us some information. Sometimes disabling the user-startup or tools in WBStartup can solve the issue.

When I say "NewIcons patch" I refer to the line "Run >NIL: NewIcons", not the icons. Comment that line out temporarily.

Glitches can also be caused by a wrong P96 configuration. Open the P96 preferences editor and make sure that the Amiga blitter is disabled. And FBlit should not run, as already mentioned before.
Old 29 May 2023, 09:40   #4167
pixie

Quote:
To use both there is a procedure, if you simply copied PeterK's icon.library, it will be ignored.
I'm trying to use PeterK's library, so I've removed icon_lib.exe from AFA_OS_LIBS.
Quote:
Exe datatypes is an indispensable tool.
Indeed it is, it even gave more information then SnoopDos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
So, where is your screenshot, pixie ? There are many different sorts of graphical glitches possible.
See in the annexed picture below. Sometimes the window is on a shady green instead of this pattern.

Quote:
And if you would upload your startup-sequence, that could also give us some information. Sometimes disabling the user-startup or tools in WBStartup can solve the issue.
Code:
; $VER: Startup-Sequence_HardDrive 40.2 (25.2.93)
; Startup-Sequence for hard drive systems
	Assign >NIL: C: SYS:Expansion/C add
	Assign >NIL: C: SYS:Expansion/C/Iconlib add
	Assign >NIL: LIBS: SYS:Expansion/Libs add
	C:morelibspace REBOOT
	If EXISTS Libs:icon.library
	   RemLib >NIL: icon.library
	EndIf
	LoadModule SYS:Expansion/libs/layers.library
C:SetPatch QUIET

PatchMSB ; installs the same functions as in MSB-library

; remove all other patches for IEEE libraries

PatchWB  >NIL: ; optional
PatchRAM >NIL: ; optional

C:Version >NIL:
C:AddBuffers >NIL: DF0: 15
FailAt 21

C:MakeDir RAM:T RAM:Clipboards RAM:ENV RAM:ENV/Sys
C:Copy >NIL: ENVARC: RAM:ENV ALL NOREQ
	c:PatchControl

Resident >NIL: C:Assign PURE
Resident >NIL: C:Execute PURE

Assign >NIL: X: HD0:Expansion
Assign >NIL: AH1: HD0:Storage/Aminet
Assign >NIL: ENV: RAM:ENV
	;C:MCP
Assign >NIL: T: RAM:T
Assign >NIL: CLIPS: RAM:Clipboards
Assign >NIL: REXX: S:REXX
Assign >NIL: PRINTERS: DEVS:Printers
Assign >NIL: KEYMAPS: DEVS:Keymaps
Assign >NIL: LOCALE: SYS:Locale
Assign >NIL: LIBS: SYS:Classes ADD
Assign >NIL: HELP: LOCALE:Help DEFER
Assign >NIL: TBImages: X:TBImages

;	C:FBlit
BindDrivers
C:Mount >NIL: DEVS:DOSDrivers/~(#?.info)

IF EXISTS DEVS:Monitors
  IF EXISTS DEVS:Monitors/VGAOnly
    DEVS:Monitors/VGAOnly
  EndIF

C:List >NIL: DEVS:Monitors/~(#?.info|VGAOnly) TO T:M LFORMAT "DEVS:Monitors/%s"
  Execute T:M
  C:Delete >NIL: T:M
EndIF

SetEnv Language "english"
SetEnv Workbench $Workbench
SetEnv Kickstart $Kickstart
UnSet Workbench
UnSet Kickstart

C:AddDataTypes REFRESH QUIET
	;c:AFA_OS_Loader

C:patchopenwb
Run > NIL: "Workbench:Expansion/VisualPrefs/VisualPrefs"
C:IPrefs
	C:FPPrefs
C:ConClip

Path >NIL: RAM: C: SYS:Utilities SYS:Rexxc SYS:System S: SYS:Prefs SYS:WBStartup SYS:Tools SYS:Tools/Commodities

IF EXISTS S:User-Startup
  Execute S:User-Startup
EndIF

Resident Execute REMOVE
Resident Assign REMOVE

C:LoadWB
EndCLI >NIL:
AFA_OS_LIBS
Code:
afa_system_lib.exe
diskfont_lib.exe
exec_lib.exe
graphics_lib.exe
intuition_lib.exe
picture_datatype.exe
WBSTARTUP
Code:
depack
FreeWheel
MagicMenu
NewEdit
off
PatchWB
ReKeyIt
StartPatchWB
SwazInfo
ToolsDaemon
Quote:
When I say "NewIcons patch" I refer to the line "Run >NIL: NewIcons", not the icons. Comment that line out temporarily.
I was thinking there was a patch for Newicons! A patchception! xD

Quote:
Glitches can also be caused by a wrong P96 configuration. Open the P96 preferences editor and make sure that the Amiga blitter is disabled. And FBlit should not run, as already mentioned before.
See bellow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glitches.png
Views:	35
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	79177   Click image for larger version

Name:	p96.png
Views:	30
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	79178  

Last edited by pixie; 29 May 2023 at 09:48.
Old 29 May 2023, 09:47   #4168
AMIGASYSTEM

Pixie, in your system AfA OS is not installed correctly, AfA OS and VisualPrefs cannot coexist, they are not copatible with each other !
Old 29 May 2023, 10:13   #4169
pixie

Quote:
I never had any demand for TrueType or Antialiased fonts, because my eyes are so bad already, that I can't see anything clear and sharp, so they are doing the job of antialiasing perfectly for free.

But there is also a very simple solution for Antialiased fonts, a patch written by Stephan Rupprecht. It just merges the text color with the background for the surrounding pixels. It works with any bitmap font already. aafont.lha:

https://www.stephan-rupprecht.de
https://www.stephan-rupprecht.de/downloads/aafont.rea
AFA do a very good job at it, I tried aafonts and beautifonts and they aren't as good. Well I just copied other folder icons into it and it seem to fix the issue for now.

Quote:
Pixie, in your system AfA OS is not installed correctly, AfA OS and VisualPrefs cannot coexist, they are not copatible with each other !
I might take vprefs off and the glitches are still the same

From Docs
Quote:
Insert the following line:

c:AfA_OS_Loader

after (beneath) the "AddDatatypes" command in your "startup-sequence".

Tools like "Visual Prefs" and "Birdie" should be started later than the
"AfA_OS_Loader" or text centering will not work properly.
Code:
	c:AFA_OS_Loader

C:patchopenwb
Run > NIL: "Workbench:Expansion/VisualPrefs/VisualPrefs"

Last edited by pixie; 29 May 2023 at 11:24.
Old 29 May 2023, 11:58   #4170
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
I might take vprefs off and the glitches are still the same
Eliminate "tolally" Visual prefs and Birdie, AfA OS themes are professional and more qualitative, in the startup-sequence, to activate AfA OS and AfA_Prefs (choice of themes) you must have these strings:

At the top Startup-sequence
Code:
C:Morelibspace

FailAt 20
C:LoadModule >NIL: DEVS:battmem.resource DEVS:console.device DEVS:FileSystem.resource DEVS:misc.resource DEVS:potgo.resource DEVS:vdisk.device L:FastFileSystem L:Shell-Seg LIBS:dos.library LIBS:icon.library LIBS:workbench.library REVERSE NOREBOOT

C:RemLib >NIL: icon.library
C:RemLib >NIL: workbench.library

C:SetPatch SKIPROMUPDATES console.device,filesysres,fs,icon,shell,workbench QUIET

After AddDataTypes:
Code:

C:AfA_OS_Loader OPTIMAL

Old 29 May 2023, 12:54   #4171
pixie

Quote:
Eliminate "tolally" Visual prefs and Birdie
I already told you I had eliminated it. The thing is I took also afa and the problem remained, I since copied over some .info over that folders and it seemed to have sorted out.

Quote:
AfA OS themes are professional and more qualitative, in the startup-sequence, to activate AfA OS and AfA_Prefs (choice of themes) you must have these strings:

At the top Startup-sequence
Code:
C:Morelibspace

FailAt 20
C:LoadModule >NIL: DEVS:battmem.resource DEVS:console.device DEVS:FileSystem.resource DEVS:misc.resource DEVS:potgo.resource DEVS:vdisk.device L:FastFileSystem L:Shell-Seg LIBS:dos.library LIBS:icon.library LIBS:workbench.library REVERSE NOREBOOT

C:RemLib >NIL: icon.library
C:RemLib >NIL: workbench.library

C:SetPatch SKIPROMUPDATES console.device,filesysres,fs,icon,shell,workbench QUIET

After AddDataTypes:
Code:

C:AfA_OS_Loader OPTIMAL

Thanks, will apply it ASAP
Old 29 May 2023, 14:32   #4172
PeterK

@pixie
I'm glad that you could solve your problem already. If these drawer icons were damaged permanently by something trashing the files, then it makes no sense to search for conflicts of your system with patches, because a permanent damage won't go away when you disable some programs. You can only replace the damaged icons, and that's what you did. OK!

In your startup-sequence you are using the Expansion directory a lot to store there some stuff. This directory was once used by Binddrivers to load or update drivers for expansion cards in the Amiga mainboard-slots. It may confuse Binddrivers when it finds a lot of other stuff stored in Expansion. Either move that stuff to another location or disable Binddrivers in your startup-sequence, because most systems won't need it anymore. I once had some drivers for a PC-Bridgeboard and for an old harddisk controller without the Autoboot feature there. Then Binddrivers loaded them automatically.

@Carlo
Quote:
There are no ROMUPDATES for icon.library and workbench.library, so there is nothing like that to SKIP over by SetPatch, but doing nothing won't hurt much.

But if that SetPatch is v44 it will remove the old icon.library v40 and workbench.library v40 from the list of resident modules anyway. I'm not sure whether it also would remove the newer libraries v45+, but SetPatch v44 may do the job of RemLib already, at least for old libs.

Update: And now I've seen that you are loading both libs with LoadModule already in the line above RemLib. Both would not make much sense, because RemLib will remove again what LoadModule has loaded resident before.

Last edited by PeterK; 29 May 2023 at 14:50.
Old 29 May 2023, 15:44   #4173
AMIGASYSTEM

Thanks Peter, the version of Setpatch I use on AfA OS is 44.44

So if I understand correctly, I have to delete from the Loadmodule command "icon.library" and Workbench.libray ?
Old 29 May 2023, 16:00   #4174
pixie

Quote:
In your startup-sequence you are using the Expansion directory a lot to store there some stuff.
I picked expansion to separate from original WB so I had a clear vision of what it is original and what was added, but I might as well choose another folder. Thanks
Old 29 May 2023, 17:52   #4175
PeterK

Carlo, your AfA_OS system configuration has always been very unusual, so you have to try out what works and what not, but I would say, you can remove either both libs from the LoadModule line or in the other case remove the RemLib commands.

If I remeber it correctly there was a problem with the AfA_OS preferences for skins and themes, which may need the RemLib commands, because you are still using icon_lib.exe. Try to remove the libs from the LoadModule line first and check if everything still works.

@pixie
Binddrivers is only required for a few very old drivers, but it scans expansion. You can simply comment Binddrivers out if you don't have any of these drivers installed.
Old 29 May 2023, 18:41   #4176
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Try to remove the libs from the LoadModule line first and check if everything still works.

Actually for the two libraries either i use LoadModule or RemLib commands, nothing changes, so I preferred to leave RemLib !

The LoadModule commands were originally from AfA OS.
Old 30 May 2023, 13:30   #4177
pixie

Quote:
Peter IconEditior works fine on OS 3.1, you just need to install the MUI libraries, Hollywood PlugIns and the required AISS images
Indeed it does. I've converted some AmigaOS4 to png through ImageConverter and then join it with IconEditor and all is preserved, both alpha channels as did with JoinSplitter!
Old 30 May 2023, 13:51   #4178
PeterK

Wake up, pixie!

That's what my ConvertToPngIcon script is doing with just one click ...

A final update may come in a few days ...

Last edited by PeterK; 01 June 2023 at 19:42.
Old 30 May 2023, 14:47   #4179
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Quote:
A final update may come in a few days ...
What a teaser...
Old 30 May 2023, 17:12   #4180
pixie

Quote:
Wake up, pixie!

That's what my ConvertToPngIcon script is doing with just one click ...
But I used it before, but i had the bad luck of trying with icons that didn't have alpha channel, so I got the idea it was somehow flawed. Another thing is that I want to downsize a bunch of icons, so I still have to use ImageConvert and CopyIcon. I guess I will have a pick in your script to help me do it!