English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 February 2009, 11:44   #381
chiark
Needs a life

aha, thanks. Sorry to be needy, but is that the same for all types of keys including the graphics printed on the front of C128 keys in light grey?
Old 23 February 2009, 13:31   #382
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

It's OK mate; black lettered keys will definitely be laser etched and will survive the process, the white lettered keys are more likely to have been screen printed. You may see some feathering of the edges of the letters, however, they should survive. Keeping the peroxide strength on the low side is definitely the way to go with white lettered keys.
Old 24 February 2009, 22:37   #383
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

@ All

I've updated the Wiki with some more explanation in the UV Energy part, so that you can start to understand why the UV is so important and how it works. I've tried to make this easy reading with words and pictures.

Old 25 February 2009, 20:44   #384
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

@ Chiark

How about some hardware pr0n of your latest cleaning projects (post 377)?
Old 27 February 2009, 15:19   #385
chiark
Needs a life

Just got back from Finland, so will try to post some this weekend
Old 28 February 2009, 08:41   #386
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

@ Chiark

Can you please e-mail me the photos of your original tests? The links earlier in the thread are now broken and I would like to add your tests to the Gallery section of the Wiki.

I've started adding some photos already, please let me know what you think.
Old 28 February 2009, 22:00   #387
chiark
Needs a life

Here's the C128 test
http://eab.abime.net/album.php?albumid=147

To:

So, yeah, I'd say it works. For me, sunlight is the magic ingredient: stronger the better...

As mentioned, getting it mechanically clean is, I believe, very important. I used a dishwasher but removed the case before the drying cycle.
I used a paste made from arrowroot for both the case and the keyboard, and used 9% - however I did dilute it for the second pass of the case, and that was the most effective (sun was strongest, temp was warmest)

One point: there was a mark on the case from a coffee cup which had dented the plastic. After coming out of the dishwasher, this was bright white: it's still whiter than the rest of the case.

Last edited by chiark; 28 February 2009 at 22:07.
Old 01 March 2009, 19:53   #388
jailer

well i must say i tried this myself over the weekend on a spare a600 keyboard left the keys for only 24hours in a plastic tub on the window sill and must say impressive

my a1200 keys are sat on the window sill in a tub at the mo ..... for the % rating i just purchased a bottle of 35% from ebay tipped it all into the tub and added 1 pint of water and left it there thats all .. no fancy uv lights or in direct sunlight just sat there
Old 01 March 2009, 21:08   #389
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

Nice one jailer.. good to see you've had positive results

To all -
I've been 'whitening' again this weekend with a combination of slightly diluted peroxide cream combined with some Oxy and limited sunshine.

The oxy (half teaspoon) was tipped straight into the cream (approx 250ml) which resulted in a nice sticky / foamy paste.

Fantastic results so far.

Merlin notes on his Wiki that strong peroxide alone results in the platic 'blooming'. He is correct; as my attempt last week left my Vic cart with a white but dull finish. The weaker mix with oxy seems to retain the sheen of the plastic.

As a side note, the mix also whitens grout on ceramic tiles and cleans faded white gloss paint up nicely...nothing is safe anymore!!

Be careful,
Magno
Old 01 March 2009, 21:27   #390
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

OMG!! Next that moron Barry Scott will be selling it as Cillit something.....

[ Show youtube player ]

Mind you, I think our Retr0brite brew is better than his potion....

"Look what it does to an Amiga! Good as New!"

Old 01 March 2009, 22:55   #391
Andymiga
Got the C= spark again :)

I have to try this myself, the pictures look so good

I can find Hydrogen Peroxide and glycerine easily -- but here in Finland we don't have products called "Xanthan Gum" or "Vanish Oxy Action".

Please could you Merlin (or anyone else?) provide me with a list of chemicals/ingredients the stuff I have to buy should include? Any chemicals they should *not* include?
I'm going to the local store but first I want to know what to look for...

Thanks
Old 02 March 2009, 02:29   #392
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Andymiga

I shall pop some purest TAED in the post with some chips my friend, (i got it from Merlin)

been under the weather a lot lately (f*cking sux!) but I have a HUGE postal list this week
Old 02 March 2009, 08:37   #393
chiark
Needs a life

@Andymiga, if you're in Helsinki, I could probably bring some over...
Old 02 March 2009, 10:52   #394
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

@ Andymiga

Check out the Wiki, there are pictures of the ingredients used in the section about making the gel.

http://Retr0bright.wikispaces.com

Old 02 March 2009, 14:45   #395
Andymiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
@ Andymiga

Check out the Wiki, there are pictures of the ingredients used in the section about making the gel.

http://Retr0bright.wikispaces.com

Thanks Merlin, I have read the wiki and most of the thread(s) pertaining to this.

The problem is that I have absolutely no clue what would be similar to this Xantham Gum stuff ... all other ingredients can be easily found (I think )

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
@Andymiga, if you're in Helsinki, I could probably bring some over...
Thanks, or I could come over and pick some up. I'll send you a pm
Old 02 March 2009, 15:08   #396
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Xanthan gum is a starchy food thickener. You may find it along with Corn starch (cornflour), arrow root and other starch based thickeners in the bread ingredients section of your local supermarket. Xanthan gum is sold for use in making bread for people with an allergy to gluten. Alternatively, a health food shop might be able to help you.

Wallpaper paste should work as well; all you are using it for is to thicken the mixture and make it paintable onto the surface.

/Merlin waits for Customs to kick Zetr0's front door in, for sending little packets of white powder to Finland...
Old 02 March 2009, 15:18   #397
Andymiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin
Xanthan gum is a starchy food thickener. You may find it along with Corn starch, arrow root and other thickeners in the bread ingredients section of your local supermarket. Xanthan gum is sold for use in making bread for people with an allergy to gluten. Alternatively, a health food shop might be able to help you.

Wallpaper paste should work as well; all you are using it for is to thicken the mixture and make it paintable onto the surface.

Okay, that means there's no significant difference what kind of starchy & hutch I use. Great news, the kind of information I was looking for. I wasn't certain if it should be this Xanthan Gum especially.

I found a lot of information about XG as an ingredient in several foods, but couldn't find it separately... I'll see what the local big supermarket has on the shelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin
/Merlin waits for Customs to kick Zetr0's front door in, for sending little packets of white powder to Finland...
Heheheh

edit: I misread your post Merlin. So does it have to be Xanthan Gum especially, or can I use corn starch??? Thanks, I want to be sure about this

Last edited by Andymiga; 02 March 2009 at 15:27.
Old 02 March 2009, 15:29   #398
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

A couple of linkies for you.

http://www.healthstore.uk.com/p44443...-Gum-115g.html

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...Gum__100g.html

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Doves-Farm-Xan...216112002r9327

Doves Farm and Life Free are the two main brands in supermarkets in the UK. Larger Asda and Tesco branches stock it.

I just used XG as I have worked with it in the past and I knew it would give me the properties I needed.

There's nothing wrong with a 'variation on a theme' though; if you find a thickener that works for you, let me know and I'll add it to the Wiki.
Old 02 March 2009, 15:38   #399
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

@ All

Just to re-iterate the point above, the recipes in the Wiki are a guide, that's all. If you use the ingredients as listed in the Wiki we know what the results will be.

I am 100% sure that other starchy, inert food thickeners will work, it's just that they probably haven't been tried yet. They will be safe to try in peroxide solutions as they won't react with it, that's why I went down this route during the development of the gel.

If you do find something else that can be used to make a paste or gel, please post pictures along with the recipe you used and I will add it to the Wiki.
Old 02 March 2009, 15:48   #400
chiark
Needs a life

Arrowroot = nuolijuuri, apparently . Found in well equipped grocery stores, health food stores, or ethnic food stores.

By "bring some over", I meant from the UK next time I'm in Helsinki