English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 06 April 2014, 00:23   #21
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I've seen that since Lemon is closed, C=64 lovers are starting to meet in different places... like a park... [ Show youtube player ]
Old 06 April 2014, 00:30   #22
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeschool View Post
Yeah, I was wondering if it was possible to loop the master robot room. I guess I should just play normally and see.
I had not thought of that. Interesting idea. I will try to loop back round from underneath the room and re-enter it.

Since the room layout is fixed in 1.18 it would be cool if someone eventually mapped it.

Quote:
Thanks for the update! I knew this had to be more than some domain name issue, as the domain still works.

This is good - there are lots of hosts out there who do not charge so much for hosting php sites, and some I have found will host for free depending on a few things like a small ad in the bottom corner. I'd rather he used a cheaper host server than go the 'Donate to keep this site Alive' route, where the server fees are paid for by the fans - just because there are ways to get cheaper/free hosting without the overheads. If this is not possible, then I guess using a Donate system like EAB may be helpful. But again - server fees are inflated. The only cost to a server company is the power it takes to keep a server running, and any home PC can be converted to be used as a server without any extra hardware.

Best of luck to Kim, I know something good will come from this.
I think hosting companies charge the earth and make a lot of profit. The company I work for was spending $100 per month hosting an e-commerce website with sql database. I moved it all over to an Amazon cloud server, where you have total control over the server and the cost has come down to $25 per month.

So I guess if I were Kim I'd get a virtual server with Rackspace or Amazon and host it like that.

Anyway I hope it comes back soon I'm getting Lemon64 withdrawal symptoms: Irritability, lack of concentration, headaches, difficulty sleeping

Edit: See the lemon64 Facebook group for news (it's where I got my info from)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/12451061691/

Last edited by john1979; 06 April 2014 at 00:36.
Old 06 April 2014, 08:11   #23
Xenon

Hope Lemon sites will be again online soon
Old 07 April 2014, 00:53   #24
chromium

Anyone have any news on this?
Old 07 April 2014, 15:08   #25
lifeschool
Local Moderator

news: Kim Lemon has a new host arranged for the websites, but there's no schedule yet for setting up the host. Just sit tight. Lemon will return!

In the meantime, I thought this clip keeps the spirit alive.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 April 2014, 10:05   #26
linesmachine

Hey all. As I've mentioned before, I'm an old Amigagames.com refugee. LA took me in and made me feel at home. Do hope Kim gets set up soon.
Old 08 April 2014, 20:31   #27
plume

Fantastic news about Lemon, read a little while ago on Denial that it might have something to do with a move. Thanks for the update lifeschool

Old 09 April 2014, 20:18   #28
lifeschool
Local Moderator

If things continue, and with no admins around, I was thinking maybe this forum is a good place to post any competition scores? I noticed one competitioner has posted a score on c64 facebook page, but hardly anyone uses that so it may get lost? All thoughts welcome.

Last edited by lifeschool; 09 April 2014 at 20:42.
Old 09 April 2014, 20:45   #29
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Feel free to create a new thread in http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=85 for the time being
Old 09 April 2014, 20:50   #30
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Perhaps the GB64 team could arrange something at their forum if Lemon64 isn't coming back anytime soon ?
Just a thought.
Old 09 April 2014, 21:52   #31
plume

@ lifeschool
Good idea, although I cant remember the closing date now! 23rd ish I think

@TCD
That's very kind of you

Old 10 April 2014, 01:04   #32
Kitty

I don't believe for one second that Lemon is gone forever, moving servers takes time, be patient, Lemon will return.
Old 10 April 2014, 15:23   #33
lifeschool
Local Moderator

ok, if there are any competitioners from the Lemon64 site, please see the new Berzerk Redux thread.

edit: Dynamite wont allow it unless everybody was here, sorry for any confusion.

Last edited by lifeschool; 10 April 2014 at 20:38.
Old 10 April 2014, 21:26   #34
lukassid

Bloody hell, C64 scene without Lemon64 sucks
Old 11 April 2014, 14:33   #35
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukassid View Post
Bloody hell, C64 scene without Lemon64 sucks
I agree. I've seen the odd person on CSDB proclaim it is a good thing. But I don't believe they mean that, at least I hope they don't.

Just speaking hypothetically, if the worst comes to the worst and lemon64 does not come back in a few weeks. Maybe it would be time then to think about setting up a new forum, hopefully getting the games and comments db from Kim as well.

I have this thought that if the account is suspended, is access being allowed to the database? That would be a show stopper for any host move. I hope he kept some backups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeschool
ok, if there are any competitioners from the Lemon64 site, please see the new Berzerk Redux thread.
Thanks for the effort. Would've been happy to contribute to the compo here on EAB. Dynamites position is understandable though.
Old 11 April 2014, 21:45   #36
john1979

Melon has kindly provided us with a new board until lemon64 comes back (hopefully).

Maybe if enough join we can get the compos going there again for the time being.

http://www.melon64.com/
Old 11 April 2014, 22:26   #37
Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1979 View Post
Just speaking hypothetically, if the worst comes to the worst and lemon64 does not come back in a few weeks. Maybe it would be time then to think about setting up a new forum, hopefully getting the games and comments db from Kim as well.
What is the point in creating yet another forum, there are loads of Commodore forums on the internet still, Amiga.org, Classic Amiga EAB, Commodore is Awesome to name just a tiny few, and they all have places on them where you can post about Commodore 64.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1979
Melon has kindly provided us with a new board until lemon64 comes back (hopefully).

Maybe if enough join we can get the compos going there again for the time being.
Do you really think people are gonna swarm to brand new made forum
It takes literally years to get a new forum established like Lemon is/was
Old 11 April 2014, 23:25   #38
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
What is the point in creating yet another forum, there are loads of Commodore forums on the internet still, Amiga.org, Classic Amiga EAB, Commodore is Awesome to name just a tiny few, and they all have places on them where you can post about Commodore 64.
Two of those sites are dedicated Amiga forums and one is a general purpose Commodore forum. It ain't the same as having a dedicated C64 forum with it's many sub forums.

You are missing the point of lemon64.

Quote:
Do you really think people are gonna swarm to brand new made forum
It takes literally years to get a new forum established like Lemon is/was
No I don't. I hope lemon64 comes back. But if anything it can be a place for people to find news about lemon64s status. I am well aware of how long it takes for a forum, if it's lucky, to gain a significant user base.

edit: fixed error

Last edited by john1979; 11 April 2014 at 23:36.
Old 12 April 2014, 00:31   #39
Kitty

It's been (according to the first post on this thread) 10 days since Lemon went down. The site says 'Will be right back soon...' If it wasn't coming back they wouldn't write that right?
Other rumours are that Kim is moving to new servers. Like I mentioned on my previous first post on this thread, these things take time, there's no need to panic and create a new forum until you know more details imo.
I love Lemon 64 as much as the next C64 fan but I think you are overeacting to the situation and need to just sit tight and be patient.
Old 12 April 2014, 10:45   #40
trydowave

I miss Lemon. That was my place to go for C64 chat and Lemon Amiga was my main Amiga site. Along with EAB of course...

Please come back soon.