English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 06 November 2012, 21:06   #21
roy bates

what does braben do know then? apart from this project.

you will have to forgive my ignorance here.
Old 06 November 2012, 21:32   #22
alenppc

He's done quite a few "commercial" games. Lately he did a lot of stuff on the IPhone (Lost Winds, for example) which indicates that he's switched to the lower-cost and higher-margin mobile market, which is why a PC game is now generally beyond what his studio is used to doing... hence the funding request... a wrong move here could easily put him out of business. It's kinda sad that people and companies which were once the videogame giants have been relegated to doing downloadable games for PSN/XBox live/IPhone, I think.
Old 06 November 2012, 21:36   #23
diablothe2nd

i blame the big corporations like microsoft. for example, just releasing a patch on xbox live costs the devs 40 grand!

publishers aren't exactly healthy to the industry either, hence the sudden influx of indies
Old 06 November 2012, 21:36   #24
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
It's kinda sad that people and companies which were once the videogame giants have been relegated to doing downloadable games for PSN/XBox live/IPhone, I think.
...or insurance companies software (Graftgold)
Old 06 November 2012, 21:39   #25
roy bates

Quote:
He's done quite a few "commercial" games. Lately he did a lot of stuff on the IPhone (Lost Winds, for example) which indicates that he's switched to the lower-cost and higher-margin mobile market, which is why a PC game is now generally beyond what his studio is used to doing... hence the funding request... a wrong move here could easily put him out of business. It's kinda sad that people and companies which were once the videogame giants have been relegated to doing downloadable games for PSN/XBox live/IPhone, I think.

does he have anything to do with the raspberry pi?
Old 06 November 2012, 21:49   #26
Amiga1992

Quote:
$2 million is not a lot at all for a modern game... it's just the basis to get started really.
But this game has already been in development for a while. It's partly made. So where are all these 2m going to? Loss made? Doens't feel like it's getting injected in something new.

Also I don't see the creativity behind making a sequel of a 20+ years old game.

I love Frontier/Elite, but let's be honest here.
Old 06 November 2012, 22:59   #27
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablothe2nd View Post
video on BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20187897

wonder if they'll reach their goal. it's pretty darn big!

anyone here planning on supporting it?

edit - here's the link to the kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...lite-dangerous
This shows the sadness in modern development that such a big name product like this can't be developed via the usual routes because its not a FPS or a racing game, and therefore won't attract proper publisher support and interest.

Black Ops II for the win!
Old 07 November 2012, 13:52   #28
Ian
Global Moderator

Probably more due to his studio making nothing but shite for the last 10 years than lack of vision by publishers. And when he was backed he made a buggy price of shot that never came close to the original.
Old 07 November 2012, 16:10   #29
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Hope this happens but I also hope Mr Braben realises that save states really shouldn't apply to single play. And I know Frontier and First Encounters has it's fanbase and are worthy games in a number of ways, but they we're overally fussy and complicated. In truth they weren't on the same page as the original. We've never seen a truly great Elite sequel and I wonder if DB is up to the task of realising the true potential of it
Old 07 November 2012, 16:37   #30
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Probably more due to his studio making nothing but shite for the last 10 years than lack of vision by publishers.
Sorry you felt that way but I really enjoyed Lost Winds 1 & 2 on the Wii.
Old 07 November 2012, 18:39   #31
Tiago

Great news,
i don't care if his studio did or did not good games after elite series, the man has my respect.
The chance to have another Elite game makes me feel happy.
Old 07 November 2012, 22:47   #32
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

But have you made a pledge? I have. I do worry that the genre is a bit dead. I do hope they expand the "missions" with good RPG elements.
Old 07 November 2012, 23:06   #33
alenppc

I dislike online games though. I made a pledge even though I hope this one will have a nice single player mode like the old Elite & Frontier with a fictional universe. By the information provided it seems it will.
Old 12 November 2012, 02:25   #34
Hillsy_

One reason why I wouldn't back this project is because he doesn't think of the goal as a video game. We all know how much he loves astronomy. I just wish he would put effort into the content of the game and not make it about mapping every star system in the entire galaxy like in Frontier. Mr Braben, it is not about having 10,000,000,000,000 planets, but more about the quality within the game, the gameplay. The original Elite will always be a masterpiece for me, sadly I doubt we will ever see that again.
Old 12 November 2012, 15:31   #35
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Tbh im sick of Shooters and FPS games! My son wants Black Ops II. I bet you its just the same as the other games he already has lol.

Its boring end of.

Its a sad state of affairs when people have to ask for money to make a game in this day and age.
Old 12 November 2012, 18:57   #36
lifeschool
Local Moderator

ah, thanks for posting guys, I only saw this thread today. Just took a look at the kickstarter with a view of giving something.

edit: the kickstarter is only up for 60days! with 53 still to do - they have raised half of the money already!

btw, Frontier has 100 billion stars out of the 400 billion in the actual milky way. The figure is 100,000,000,000,000 - which is a lot of zeros (all formed using a simple mathematical algorithm of course).

@ Electroblaster - yeah, those FPS all get to be very similar after a while. With Elite I actually learned some astronomy!

Last edited by lifeschool; 12 November 2012 at 19:10.
Old 23 December 2012, 13:50   #37
Angus
Amiga Games Database

£900,000 odd and 12 days to go - this could be close. I think I'm going to have to chip in my few quid. Latest Youtube clip: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 23 December 2012, 22:25   #38
Djay
95th User

changed my mind pledged £100 in stead of £40
so i get...
5. Digital code apply a transferable decal to your ship which is unique to you
10. Digital newsletter and prograss updates
15. Reserve your Commander name in game (1st come...)
20. Digital copy of the game
30. Same as 20, but not limited to 10000
32. Imperial Bounty Hunter: Have the option to start in an Imperial Colony with an Eagle Mk II Fighter with upgraded weapons and shields and 1000 CR
35. Download digital copy of the official sequel to "The Dark Wheel" novel
40. Your name forms part of the naming database (so your name will be one of those used randomly for non-player in-game characters)
42. Pirate: Have the option to start with a stolen but upgraded Cobra MkIII and only 100CR
45. Download a digital copy of the "Elite: Dangerous" music
50. Participate in the second round private beta test
55. Independent Trader: Have the option to start in the Lave system with a basic Cobra MkIII and only 100CR
60. Physical DRM-free boxed edition of "Elite: Dangerous"
70. Explorer: Have the option to start on the edge of explored space with a long range version of the Cobra MkIII and 3000 CR
75. Access to the private backer's discussion forum
80. Digital Download Pack. This includes a single digital download of the game and any expansions
85. Kickstarter special: Have the option to start in the founder's world with any starter ship and 4000 CR
90. Physical DRM-free collector's premium boxed edition of "Elite: Dangerous". (in place of standard edition), which includes T Shirt with "I backed Elite: Dangerous" on the back, and a paperback copy of the official sequel to "The Dark Wheel".
100. Participate in the first round private beta test
Be a founding member of ‘The Elite’ in the game

Edit:-
Finally stopped at £300, with Access to Alpha Test and Design Decision Forum
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.png
Views:	257
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	33565  

Last edited by Djay; 01 February 2013 at 04:28.
Old 26 December 2012, 18:09   #39
X-Lone

This one needs a well deserved bump me thinks

Old 26 December 2012, 20:11   #40
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I think it's fair to say that this wont even need to reach the target anyway for it to be made because they've likely been working on and off for years on it. This money will help though obviously and hopefully show there is at least a reasonable demand

I hope DB has the good sense to allow a customizable save system outside the game itself, for those that view the save state system like any other game feature. It's all very well saying we don't have to use it, but it's there to use. Elite worked well for it's risk vs reward but there isn't truly any risk involved with states. People can't live without their save states and that's fine but it ruins the experience for some. A choice to disable their use BEFORE you enter your game file you start the game is all it would take and to not include it here for a game of this type is a bit insulting to be honest

There was nothing more thrilling than say getting back to dock having landed a lucky scooping of cargo, to then making it out of just a few more battles than you should have attempted. It literally felt like your life is at stake at times in the original Elite. Save states change this completely but this reasoning seems lost on devs and gamers even