English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 18 September 2007, 14:44   #21
Genghiz

Pulling my leg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
... a good 60mins in a dishwasher at 60c works wonders and really cleans and opens the plastic!
You're pulling my leg!

Old 18 September 2007, 14:48   #22
blade002
Zone Friend

Hey MickAKA !!!, whats that monitor your using in those pictures !?.

Is it any good for Amiga Gaming, does it handle all screen modes, and if so, how much did you pay for it and whats the model number ????????????????

Going by the WB screen on display, it looks AWESOME !!!.

And that CD drive as well ??. wow
Old 18 September 2007, 23:50   #23
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

@Genghiz:
Keys:
Not sure about the vinyl dye, but I've used Dylon material dye to change colour of plastic keys ( so retaining the key tops ) - just simmer the little buggers in a pan with the dye until cooked to taste!
Test first - the colours don't always come out as expected! ( See my moded A3000 thread )
( much less effort than painting & re-doing the tops )
-There's some evil stuff called Rit-dye which works more reliably, but never seen it in the UK-

Dishwasher:
Zetro's not pulling your leg - it works! I've never been brave enough to go for 60c... Just me, I'm sure if Zetr0 says so, its fine.

My plastic cleaning method:
-Kitchen sink
-Vanish OxyAction Multi spray ( or similar )
-PVC window cleaner ( the white creamy stuff )
-Warm soapy water
-Plastic pan scowerer cloth thingy ( not a brillo pad!!! )
-Wife's toothbrush ( well I wouldn't use mine obviously )
-Lots of cold water

-> Squirt on the Vanish, leave for a bit.
-> Squirt on the PVC cleaner, go @ it with plastic cloth thingy ( DON'T GO MAD - no need )
-> Wife's toothbrush for the nooks & crannies.
-> Wash off with soapy water.
-> Rinse thoroughly!

A complete A1200 ( inside & out ) takes about 10 mins not including drying.
( Don't forget to disassemble first )
I've yet to come across a computer that doesn't come up looking new after such treatment.
( keyboards may take more work, poss the CAREFUL addition of some bleach )

One of my A1200's was given to me by a pot-smoking friend who used it in a sunny room regularly for about 10 years. Gange-stains, coffee-stains, unidentifiable-stains, yellowed-plastic, multicoloured keys... you name it...
...Now looks like a 'kept forever in the box' collector's item!

Last edited by Charlie; 18 September 2007 at 23:55.
Old 19 September 2007, 02:28   #24
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
I'd like to point out that a girlfriend's or sister's toothbrush will do the job as well, but again, don't use your own.

As for the keys, I've never attempted to dye them because I don't have a spare Amiga keyboard here, although I'm going to pick up a PC keyboard next time I'm over at the junk shop and test some vinyl dye on that.

Does anyone know how hard it is to remove and replace each individual key on an Amiga keyboard? I'd like to try it with an A1200, A500 and A2000 keyboard.
Old 19 September 2007, 15:53   #25
Pyromania

Nice paint job!
Old 19 September 2007, 18:41   #26
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
Hey MickAKA !!!, whats that monitor your using in those pictures !?.

Is it any good for Amiga Gaming, does it handle all screen modes, and if so, how much did you pay for it and whats the model number ????????????????

Going by the WB screen on display, it looks AWESOME !!!.

And that CD drive as well ??. wow

The monitor is a normal 8ms Samsung TFT, the amiga is running through a VGA box which is hanging down the back of my desk in that shot.
Old 22 January 2008, 11:14   #27
Sid

Nice pics, and some great information. Well Done lads (& lasses)

Pics of my Amiga whilst cleaning:
http://www.ko-gathering.com/phpbb2/v...r=asc&start=13

I now want to make the Amiga Black to match the AV equipment it sits with under the plasma... I like the sound of the penetrating dye...
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/2...shelvesmw8.jpg
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/2...shelveshe5.jpg
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5...ompletexi5.jpg
(my new amp has replaced the silver one, and is black. The PS3 has replaced the silver PS2, and Sky+ will get rreplaced with SkyHD soon, which are all pre-dominantly black)

VHT SP942 BLACK SATIN DYE: £8.50
http://www.usautomotive.co.uk/store/...?idProduct=353

I would love to get the CDTV keys (can't see any on eBay?)
... or use any other colour of dye.
http://www.usautomotive.co.uk/store/...?idCategory=59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Keys:
Not sure about the vinyl dye, but I've used Dylon material dye to change colour of plastic keys ( so retaining the key tops ) - just simmer the little buggers in a pan with the dye until cooked to taste!
Test first - the colours don't always come out as expected! ( See my moded A3000 thread )
Did you really put the pan on the hot hob?? I presume sticking them on a quick wash in the washing machine with the Dylon Dye would also work?
http://www.inest.co.uk/range.asp?typeid=468&sizeID=

..or even submerge the Amiga casing in the kitchen sink with this dye????

Last edited by Sid; 22 January 2008 at 12:19.
Old 22 January 2008, 12:23   #28
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I want a black A600, so I am in the process of getting the CD32 keyboard keys as we speak.

Question: Does painting the Amiga case, using whatever method, always feel cheap and "homemade"?
Old 22 January 2008, 12:40   #29
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Not using the method I described, looks and feels great.

I used to custom spray laptops for a living using the same method.
Old 22 January 2008, 12:52   #30
Sid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_AKA View Post

where are you based? wanna do my Amiga'? lol
Old 22 January 2008, 13:37   #31
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I want a black A600, so I am in the process of getting the CD32 keyboard keys as we speak.

Question: Does painting the Amiga case, using whatever method, always feel cheap and "homemade"?
Nope, used to spray professionally, so i make sure the jobs always done right. besides, why would you want a black one, everyone has a black one...

Quote:

Central heating pumps for me, both domestic little things to ones you couldnt fit in a hallways for oil rigs... ahhh such was my youth!

we had this sepcific mix of metalic paint, where it would take nearly a week to cure... in that time it was like rubber... ugh... ass nasty it was... f*cking toxic as hell.... i think i would of been healthier to chew asbestos!
Old 24 January 2008, 00:28   #32
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
where are you based? wanna do my Amiga'? lol
I think I lack the confidence and equipment nowadays to spray other people's hardware, I would have to do it from cans and I find this increases the 'Mick is an old bastard and will balls it up' factor.

The last thing I sprayed for someone was a Dell Inspiron last year and I did make a good job of it, has the same paintjob as my old P233 laptop, gloss black then dusted with metalic silver before being laquered.

I think some people would also be shocked at the cost of spraying an Amiga, when I did laptops I got paint in bulk at trade prices, now you're looking at:

1 can of plastic primer, 1 large can to do the main coats (if only one colour wanted) and a further can of laquer meaning at least 15 quid just for paint, then if you want detailing like the meatalic floppy button on my A1200 then another 3 quid for a pot of model paint.

Plus a few quid for my time and P&P both ways.

Gets pricey
Old 24 January 2008, 00:52   #33
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

@Sid:
The Dylon dye I used was the stuff that comes in the little metal tins (for tie-dye hippie-types) - boil in a vat.

I went for that because I wanted more control over what I was doing and my better half may well have had a dikie-fit if I'd messed-up important bits.
NB
Plastic in washing machine = Salvador Dali I suspect.
NNB
I wanted Rit Dye but it's not sold in any country that gives a monkey's about planet Earth.

This thread will give a good idea of the good (and bad) of using Dylon Dye.

Yes, I did give the keys a good simmering & they were fine. An interesting point is most plastic can take a good bubbling, but heat in the oven results in goo.
Old 24 January 2008, 13:46   #34
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
-There's some evil stuff called Rit-dye which works more reliably, but never seen it in the UK-
I guess that won't make them black though and even doing so would make the lettering black on black (ie. useless)??

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
How will you make that fit or will you remove each key and replace into the A600 keyboard? Are the keys all the same size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel-CD32 View Post
Does anyone know how hard it is to remove and replace each individual key on an Amiga keyboard? I'd like to try it with an A1200, A500 and A2000 keyboard.
I seem to recall they were springs underneath so should be fine but how will you keep the lettering intact?
Old 24 January 2008, 13:56   #35
Sid

Quote:
I think I lack the confidence and equipment nowadays to spray other people's hardware, I would have to do it from cans and I find this increases the 'Mick is an old bastard and will balls it up' factor.

The last thing I sprayed for someone was a Dell Inspiron last year and I did make a good job of it, has the same paintjob as my old P233 laptop, gloss black then dusted with metalic silver before being laquered.

I think some people would also be shocked at the cost of spraying an Amiga, when I did laptops I got paint in bulk at trade prices, now you're looking at:

1 can of plastic primer, 1 large can to do the main coats (if only one colour wanted) and a further can of laquer meaning at least 15 quid just for paint, then if you want detailing like the meatalic floppy button on my A1200 then another 3 quid for a pot of model paint.

Plus a few quid for my time and P&P both ways.

Gets pricey
£18 for paint ... ok, how much for your labour time?
What region are you based in?

Ta
Old 24 January 2008, 16:09   #36
Haakon

Quote:

I now want to make the Amiga Black to match the AV equipment it sits with under the plasma... I like the sound of the penetrating dye...
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/2...shelvesmw8.jpg
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/2...shelveshe5.jpg
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5...ompletexi5.jpg
DAMN! The look of that!!! How much space into the wall do you have? Is it a room behind?
Old 24 January 2008, 20:28   #37
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Quote:
£18 for paint ... ok, how much for your labour time?
What region are you based in?

Ta
I'm in Staffordshire, would only say a fiver for the time tbh
Old 01 February 2008, 14:31   #38
Christian
Zone Friend

Great guide, thanks

I'm actually toying with the idea of painting a TFT tv to match my 1200. Bit pointless I know, but I don't like it when screens don't match the system and they only seem to be available in black or silver.

Any tips on the colour to buy? My amiga is pretty white with no yellowing of keys, etc. I think it's the original colour as it matches the commodore monitor I got from elsewhere exactly.

It's a beautiful amiga btw, limited edition Comic Relief pack, box in nearly new order, all polys, bags, manuals, disks and packaging, etc. I felt bad breaking the warrenty seal to put a harddrive in but you know... WHD is soooo cool

If I do this, I may even attempt a logo badge for the screen too .... maybe
Old 06 November 2018, 21:00   #39
RiP
Q

Thanks for the tips
What more colors will match with Amiga?

Quote:
Originally Posted by appiah4 View Post
On the RAL scale the RAL 1013, 1015 or RAL 9001 (Pearl White, Light Ivory and Cream in that order) are the closest. Which would work best for you depends on how yellowed the rest of the frame is:

Beige would be a bit too brownish, at least unless your monitor saw a lot of cigarette smoke (which would be fairly normal, considering it lived the 80s and 90s ).

I eyeballed mine and for me, Pearl White seemed most likely to work best, so I used a RAL 1013 spray paint. If at all possible ask for color codes (RGB, Hex or RAL) for the filaments, then take a photo of your monitor in good light, and compare the colors.
Old 29 November 2018, 19:00   #40
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Just to sort of back up my methodology on spraying my Amiga, we're now 11 years down the road.

Here's a pic of it from around the time this thread was started:

Here she is now:

Full disclosure, when I removed my home made case badge to replace with the new one it partially peeled a layer of paint and lacquer off, I had to rub that area down and give it another coat all over as I couldn't find the same colour again.