English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 September 2018, 00:02   #21
albino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Politely.... Bollocks.

The majority of arcade machines had colour palettes that dwarfed the Amigas, didn't stop fairly decent conversions occuring.

Final Fight is fairly easy to get right colourwise, as the vast majority of the game only scrolls horizontally right, theres a couple of sub levels that have vertical scrolling, but theres not much variation in the background graphics.

With extensive colour reloading, not only could the game look nearly as colourful as the arcade, it could do it in 32 colour mode, and not lose valuable DMA time to having an extra bitplane for 64 colour mode.

Unlike others, I personally feel Richard Aplin did more than a fair job considering he did it on his own and with limited time.

As bad as people think it is, the alternative to Aplin was Tiertex......... and you would have begged for Richard Aplin to have been given the gig.
Damn right... Totally agree with you
Give the job to the right peapole and you got it done!
Old 17 September 2018, 02:23   #22
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post

As bad as people think it is, the alternative to Aplin was Tiertex......... and you would have begged for Richard Aplin to have been given the gig.
Tiertex made Dynasty Wars. It's another Capcom beat'em up.

I think it would be easier to port it than Final Fight.

Yet it's one of the worst games I ever played on Amiga. WAAAY worse than Final FIght.
Old 17 September 2018, 05:37   #23
PatmanQC

I thought it was a pretty good attempt. Sure the colors are washed out but overall US gold did a pretty good job.
Old 17 September 2018, 06:39   #24
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOWL View Post
I thought it was a pretty good attempt. Sure the colors are washed out but overall US gold did a pretty good job.
Nah, it plays like shit. If you've never played a beat'em up before, surely, you may like it.

But having played ANY decent beat'em up before, you'll quickly notice all its problems.

I could deal with the washed colors, the lack of any presentation, the lack of music (wtf), the ridiculous animation, the lack of health items, the slowdowns.... if the game just played properly.

But no combos + no invicibility window after being hit + enemies hitting you even before the screen finishes fading in + special attack not working correctly = completely kill the game for me. And then you have all the others problems the game has make everything even worse.
Old 17 September 2018, 07:19   #25
nobody

Main problem was that US Gold asked him to make the game for 512k if I remember well so he had to throw away all extra moves, frames, music etc. Other than that it's the only version available that runs well on A500. I think he did miracles but he had US Gold on his back and he didn't like the game that much. If he was given Shinobi he would have ported it 1:1.
Old 17 September 2018, 07:29   #26
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
But no combos + no invicibility window after being hit + enemies hitting you even before the screen finishes fading in + special attack not working correctly = completely kill the game for me.
I completely agree on this list.
Is it impossible to somehow mod existing game, to only implement this?
No graphics modding, no sound modding... nothing.... just the above.
Old 17 September 2018, 08:22   #27
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
unfortunately, nope. The reason is quite easy to spot : this game requires 64 colors at minima to be visually enjoyable. An A500 can't do that.
I don't agree with you on this one.
Look at final fight aga, it's in 32 colours... some times in 40 colours (i said 40 but don't remember exactly) with the help of copper of course.I'm sure it could be possible with some compromise or with a little of fast ram.
Of course don't ask the guys to do it in 2 months !!
What did richard was good technically but graphically this is where i think he didn't had enough time because at the 1st level the result could have been better for sure, but i don't think that richard had the time to do it. But overall he did a good job for an amiga 500 game.
Big sprites , good scrolling, good animations... Just the use of the colours which could have been better. I don't remember, how much time did he had ?? alone !!!
Old 17 September 2018, 09:56   #28
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Dunno mate.
In this [ Show youtube player ] he started test play from Amos.
Is he really that crazy to fake the whole video (edit video from (let's say) sega gameplay with Amos video)?
I guess I'll elaborate.

In my eyes someone is stupid as mud if they run the risk of coding an entire computer game without running regular backups that are stored off the device. However to add to my pessimism he subsequently finds some videos of the supposed game on an "old USB stick" and decides to upload them.

So he managed to copy some videos to the USB stick but not the game source?

Yes I'll re-iterate my statement, it is absolute pure bullshit, it just did'nt happen.
Old 17 September 2018, 10:16   #29
Hewitson

I am not saying that the A1200 (or even 500) couldn't do a good conversion. But it would never be up to CPS1 standard.
Old 17 September 2018, 11:46   #30
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
I don't remember, how much time did he had ?? alone !!!
6 months from start to finish, and he did not have any source code.
He did both the Amiga and Atari version (maybe even some third port), and that's why Amiga and Atari version looks the same (at least for me), or very similar. He just tried to "kill 2 flies" with one shot.

I personally don't blame him for anything, and its amazing what he achieved with so little time, and so little resources.
I actually think it would be a good idea to start some kickstarter campain, to get some funds, and to give that funds to Richard to try agan (this time, version with no less then 1MB).
That way, he could have made peace with the whole community.
------------------------

Amiga really lack good beat em ups. It's not only FF, but it seems to me that all games try to follow that double dragon feel, and that is "right + shoot" equals flying kick, and it seems like they thought that is all what we need.
No combos (except for Golden Axe), no grabbing opponents (one of the most important moves in capcom games).
That being said, if you pretend that FF never existed on arcade, and think its a Double Dragon clone, then it can pass as a good improvement over the DD.

So, Amiiga basically needs some beat em up, with capcom arcade feel.
Old 17 September 2018, 12:17   #31
d4rk3lf

Sorry for the double post... but...

...let me make a quick list, on what I personally think would drastically improve gameplay, and be very close to arcade version:

1) Adding combo - pressing file simultaneously makes combo hits like in arcade
(mostly fir Guy, For Cody and Hagar it would be maybe just one frame added)

2) adding "grab and hold" move
fire - knee kick (3 times max)
fire + down - throwing opponent behind character
fire + front - throwing opponent in front of character

3) Abillity for player to escape crowded enemies, while he is on the ground, by holding up, or down. Also, levels to start slowly, not in the mid of a fight.

4) Two buttons support

That's it.

Maybe just a few tweaks here and there. For example (for 1 button joystick), special move to be not just down + fire, but maybe down, down, fire... or down, up, fire.... maybe fast: up, up, to be jump, and double diagonals to be side jumps, and fire when you want a kick (but maybe this is bad idea... not sure)
Old 17 September 2018, 14:07   #32
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
I actually think it would be a good idea to start some kickstarter campain, to get some funds, and to give that funds to Richard to try agan (this time, version with no less then 1MB).
That way, he could have made peace with the whole community.
Could I ask, what sort of funds do you think Richard might want from the campaign to be persuaded to the conversion?

Why do you think the second time around would be better than the first when he was quite happy with the first?

http://retroasylum.com/an-interview-with-richard-aplin/

Edit: Having reviewed FF on the A500 that he did I think it's a fantastic job. I'm no beat em up fan though.
Old 17 September 2018, 14:18   #33
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Could I ask, what sort of funds do you think Richard might want from the campaign to be persuaded to the conversion?
I said that more like a funny idea.
And that interview was exactly what inspired me, because I think Richard felt a little bitter, because of so bad reputation game received (and yet, he gave his best for the time he had).
For example, this quote:
"Anyway the haters / “Amiga experts” are more than welcome to do a better conversion if they think I did such a bad job ; I genuinely look forward to seeing it."

I find a funny idea that he tries redemption with new try on FF.
However, if we talk seriously, he probably forgot many things about coding for 68k, and probably wouldn't be interested no matter the amount of money.
Old 17 September 2018, 14:45   #34
Retro1234
Phone Homer

People complian about enemies ganging up etc how easy do they want this game? Who has never completed this?

I'd be currious if anyone could mod the game code but I doubt it and there's Blitz code for anyone to jump in.
Old 17 September 2018, 15:09   #35
albino

If the game had been handled by Storm, we wouldn't be arguiing about this game right now!

I'm sure Richard Aplin is a skilled programmer, on final fight though is main purpose was to

hack the jamma board. Add to that one person in charge of the whole conversion with 6

month deadline! believe it or not it's quite challenging..

The reason why psygnosis game where so polished was the management in term of

ressources and time. Take leander for exemple, 2 guys sharing the tasks plus psygnosis

assistance for all the extras including debbuging and game testin see the outcome.

No one can blame richard aplin we should blame his company for not giving him clear

direction for the best result.
Old 18 September 2018, 10:35   #36
Fiery Phoenix

I think the 128k Amstrad CPC version had better colours than the Amiga version
Old 18 September 2018, 13:10   #37
redblade
Zone Friend

I reckon he did a great job for a one man team and aiming for both the Atari St and Amiga 512k RAM models. Does it use the Amiga hardware at all? Blitter, sprites? Or is the 68000 doing all the work?
Old 18 September 2018, 13:22   #38
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix View Post
I think the 128k Amstrad CPC version had better colours than the Amiga version
Yes. The effort was done for the CPC.
Old 18 September 2018, 14:37   #39
touko

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
I reckon he did a great job for a one man team and aiming for both the Atari St and Amiga 512k RAM models. Does it use the Amiga hardware at all? Blitter, sprites? Or is the 68000 doing all the work?
I read in an interview that all sprites are bobs, only the hud was made with hardware sprites if i remember correctly .
The intro music was borrowed from a demo .
Old 18 September 2018, 14:51   #40
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by touko View Post
The intro music was borrowed from a demo .
I dont think thats correct is it? The musician is listed in HOL