English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 May 2007, 17:57   #21
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultron
For the love of god. I've had W2000 and XP boxes running months on end, with continuous use, multiple apps, and serving DC hubs, FTPs, www, you name it. The Amiga doesn't even have Memory Protection.
well arent you the lucky one? .. i just talk from my own experience... and winUAE crashes a hell of a lot more than my a1200 does. it's a fact.

Quote:
Every PC can run at 100mhz these days. Problem solved. Honestly. It's not even one.
see other replies. like KG's my monitor doesnt either. i DO see it as a problem.

im not dissing emulation... i think winUAE is fantastic, and hell, i even use pspUAE, but there are still many (and very apparent) differences compared to original hardware.
Old 11 May 2007, 17:58   #22
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace
which means it crashes a lot more than a real amiga.
My amiga had guru too often, and virus on disks (disk not validated all the time), damaged disks etc (and over time, unavoidable).... Well, with winuae and adfs, the disks can't be damaged if you have downloaded a working version, well, you might damage it if you are stupid .... Winuae is more stable to me... almost never guru messages... only thing I get now and then are some messed gfx due to settings... which is easily fixed... but I like to play around with different settings.. but there are already made configs to make games work perfect (never use them though).... so you are so wrong..... winuae is more stable than a real amiga and better in all ways.... it's probably YOU that sucks on using winuae and therefore your experience with a real amiga is better.

Quote:
ADFs are slow, full of annoying cractros, and often require a specific winuae setup to run. this is why i will use WHDLoad even on winuae rather than adfs.
lol?.... adfs are way faster than real floppies as in Winuae you can use turbo mode and such.... and there are uncracked versions without cracktos and stuff.... IF you decide to download one of them (which you apparently never have)

Quote:
as i said above, perfect for frontier, quake, et al. but have you compared games like Pinball Illusions, or even New Zealand Story?
What about them???. they work perfectly in winuae.

Quote:
dont work with HD emualtion
Don't know about that, or if it's in the latest version as I don't play games or want to use savestates with hd emulation. I put my games in the memory, ram or rad, that way I don't need to swap disks AND I can use savestates . I play all my "many disks" games using this method, it rules.... like legend of kyrandia I recorded... all disks were installed into the memory... then I could play and there were no loading times, fast as hell and I could use savestates......

My 0.00000 cents.
Old 11 May 2007, 18:06   #23
Dizzy
Pirate

Emu vs The Real thing = monkey spanking Vs The real thing

I prefer the real deal, no sitting by yourself with your pc, when you can getting your friend over for some fun

For you emu-boys.. this book is for you

Old 11 May 2007, 18:10   #24
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

blimey, must i defend every comment i make based on my OWN experience?

i'm not even saying that you might have different experiences, just my own findings, but it seems some people cant respond to that without being rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw
My amiga had guru too often, and virus on disks (disk not validated all the time), damaged disks etc (and over time, unavoidable).... Well, with winuae and adfs, the disks can't be damaged if you have downloaded a working version, well, you might damage it if you are stupid .... Winuae is more stable to me... almost never guru messages... only thing I get now and then are some messed gfx due to settings... which is easily fixed... but I like to play around with different settings.. but there are already made configs to make games work perfect (never use them though)....
well my amiga rarely gurus, and winuae actually crashes within windows rather than gurus under emulation.

Quote:
so you are so wrong..... winuae is more stable than a real amiga and better in all ways....

it's probably YOU that sucks on using winuae and therefore your experience with a real amiga is better.
wow, what an obnoxious response! is that really neccessary?

i tell you what I have had happened and you are so dismissive? oh well.

such an offensive manner only makes me want to ignore the rest of your comments, but i'm not so stubborn as to do that.

Quote:
lol?.... adfs are way faster than real floppies as in Winuae you can use turbo mode and such.... and there are uncracked versions without cracktos and stuff....
again, did i say they couldnt run faster than the real thing? no. however, they dont compare to HD, and compatibility is not 100% with faster emulated drive speeds.

please show me a cracked ADF copy of Wipe Out that does not have a cractro which requires a fairly specific setup to run.

i dont doubt there are many more... whilst SOME may be available without, not all are.

Quote:
IF you decide to download one of them (which you apparently never have)
oh very clever yes. obviously becasue i dont like them, means i've never used ADFs. sheesh.

Quote:
What about them???. they work perfectly in winuae.
they arent as smooth on winuae as they are on my a1200 030.

fact.

Quote:
Don't know about that, or if it's in the latest version as I don't play games or want to use savestates with hd emulation. I put my games in the memory, ram or rad, that way I don't need to swap disks AND I can use savestates .
that's an intelligent method, and one that i use for HD games on PSPUAE... however, it's not the most convient method, and i'd still rather be able to just fire up the WHDLoad version and savestate along the way.

my apologies for wanting a reasoned and open discussion on the matter.
Old 11 May 2007, 18:16   #25
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Hungry Horace is right. The joystick & keyboard controls are smoother on a real machine. I use emulators since 1999 and bought recently a Amiga 1200 again. The gameplay feeling is smoother, that's for sure.

WinUAE is great: It costs nothing, you need no space, no hardware wastage etc. But the real thing IS better, no doubt.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 11 May 2007 at 18:21.
Old 11 May 2007, 18:24   #26
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd
But the real thing IS better, no doubt.
hey, i didnt even go as far as to say that... i said its for the user to decide for themselves.

it seems very easy for someone who has had a good emualtion experience to say its "the best" - but thats somewhat unrealistic to assume it always goes so well.

emulation is very convinient... and thats the major benefit IMO
Old 11 May 2007, 18:25   #27
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Warp mode (end+break) instead of changing the emulated floppy drive speed is 100% compatible with adfs (or at least 99.9999%) which is a definite advantage.
Old 11 May 2007, 18:27   #28
Ironclaw
Banned

I rule and I'm evil !

Well, Hungry Horace misunderstood me a bit... and I would like to comment on his latest comments.. (I have great comebacks to knock him of his chair)..... but don't bother..... sigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
I prefer the real deal, no sitting by yourself with your pc, when you can getting your friend over for some fun
So, if I get your comment right, you mean you can't be 2 guys playing amiga games on a PC?..... if so... wrong! . (well, we all know you can play 2 on a pc with winuae... but still... not very common which might be what you mean. donno)... just get to joysticks and plug them in.. or both can play on the keyboard, or 1 player with a joystick and the other on the keyboard.. I play 2 player games with Hipoonios from recordedamigagames now and then.... it's great ..... sometimes we play on his monitor, other times on his plasma TV.... same experience as a real amiga to me... but now with.... a bit better in everything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath
Warp mode (end+break) instead of changing the emulated floppy drive speed is 100% compatible with adfs (or at least 99.9999%) which is a definite advantage.
Oh oh... I LOOOOOVE warpmode..
Old 11 May 2007, 18:28   #29
lopos2000
Zone Friend

Emulation is fine to try things out but I prefer the real thing. Has a much better feeling to it.
Old 11 May 2007, 18:29   #30
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
emulation is very convinient... and thats the major benefit IMO
True, that's why i'm using emulators. It has some nice additions to the real thing. But a real machine IS better in the aspect of "pure gameplay".
Old 11 May 2007, 18:35   #31
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
True, that's why i'm using emulators. It has some nice additions to the real thing. But a real machine IS better in the aspect of "pure gameplay".
Well, the only advantage with a real amiga is that some games works better..... while winuae has all amiga has and maybe.. just maybe (mostly because of the user) some games doesn't work so good.

Nvm.... ehh.... what's the benefits of a real amiga that winuae doesn't have?.... seem to me it's just like a couple of things... so why use a real amiga with only a couple of benefits when you can use winuae which outclasses a real amiga and has like 40 times more benefits?

It's like using a Swiss Army Knife with just the knife and nothing more, when you can use a Swiss Army Knife with EVERYTHING on it plus extras...... ehmmm.... I think... I need some food.

Keep arguing guys!!. I love it.
Old 11 May 2007, 18:37   #32
keropi

nothing beats the real thing...!
the feeling is just not the same!
Old 11 May 2007, 18:39   #33
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

why bother arguing Ironclaw? youve already decided you are right and everyone else is wrong and/or some kind of fool.
Old 11 May 2007, 18:40   #34
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Keep arguing guys!!. I love it.
You can't argue proper, get a real machine first.

I'm using WHDLoad installed games, a game starts with a double click. This is convenient enough for me.
Old 11 May 2007, 18:55   #35
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
You can't argue proper, get a real machine first.

I'm using WHDLoad installed games, a game starts with a double click. This is convenient enough for me.
I have used a real machine, a500 and a1200 for years.. gave em up... as I found WinUAE is much better... FOR ME.. and should be for everyone else... but people are so stubborn .

Quote:
why bother arguing Ironclaw? youve already decided you are right and everyone else is wrong and/or some kind of fool.
Old 11 May 2007, 18:59   #36
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

No comment, IC. To be honest, your last post was crap.
Old 11 May 2007, 19:00   #37
Graham Humphrey

Hmmm, WinUAE is obviously superb, but I do prefer using my A1200. Emulation is convenient (I usually use it to test games/apps before putting them on my Amiga's HD) but it feels more of a "throwaway" experience, if you get what I mean. I can never really get into games on emulation; I usually download something, play it for a few minutes, then go off and do something else (but that's just me). If I use something on my Amiga I give it a lot more attention. I don't think you can ever quite beat the "feel" of real hardware, regardless of how good the emulation is.
Old 11 May 2007, 19:02   #38
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
No comment, IC. To be honest, your last post was crap.
How can you call a post with a picture of MR.T in it to be crap?? .

First you are dissing WinUAE (to some bit), and now Mr.T?..... *cry*
Old 11 May 2007, 19:03   #39
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
How can you call a post with a picture of MR.T in it to be crap?? .
Ok, the pic was cool, but your comment not.

Dissing WinUAE? I guess you need to read this thread carefully before you post, IC.
Old 11 May 2007, 19:03   #40
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
I have used a real machine, a500 and a1200 for years.. gave em up... as I found WinUAE is much better... FOR ME.. and should be for everyone else... but people are so stubborn .
What a ridiculously arrogant comment. You prefer emulation. Great. I'm happy for you. But don't disregard everyone else's point of view so easily. Just because you prefer it doesn't mean everyone else had to.