Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

View Poll Results: Duel 02: Golden Axe - Double Dragon 2
Golden Axe 29 78.38%
Double Dragon 2 - The Revenge 8 21.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 October 2012, 20:43   #21
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Surely i've enjoyed enough games on the Amiga, also good Amiga Arcade ports like Midnight Resistance or Rainbow Islands. But that has nothing to do with this specific game comparison on the Amiga here.

If it's about the game itself, i prefer Double Dragon II over GA on MAME.
Old 12 October 2012, 20:45   #22
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Just because somebody prefers one game on a different platform more (I also prefer Golden Axe on the MegaDrive btw and we already have a 'best version of GA' thread here if you want to look it up) doesn't mean that he doesn't enjoy Amiga games. The Amiga had a problem with games that require more than one button, period. It's a big problem for a beat 'em up to be limited to one button.

Last edited by prowler; 12 October 2012 at 23:13.
Old 12 October 2012, 21:03   #23
JudasEZT

Theres is only one button of difference.. itsnt a big problem.. ( magic bomb was at keyboard )

Frankly, MortalKombat controls were great with one button ( although I dont like the game style and concept on MAME/Amiga or whatever )

With StreetFighter2,.. well Ive would liked that one button pad would been the major of its problems. It controlled pretty good with one button,.. just slow, jerky and with horrible tunes.

Respect MidnightResistance,.. well, coin-op had rotational joystick.. then its not a problem, not?? well GoldenAxe button thing its a problem practically equally... thats means.. practically minimal if the game likes you.

Last edited by prowler; 12 October 2012 at 23:12.
Old 12 October 2012, 21:05   #24
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

No need for REAL argument here. For Midnight Resistance: The 2-rotary Stick control in the arcades was awful enough. The Amiga port was a real improvement, control-wise.
Old 12 October 2012, 21:08   #25
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@JudasEZT: You started to defend 'your game'. If you read the thread you might notice that Retro-Nerd merely made clear why he prefers the MD version of GA after you told that he's 'wrong'.

Chill out, it's a poll you made and people just tell their opinions.

Last edited by prowler; 12 October 2012 at 23:14.
Old 12 October 2012, 21:18   #26
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Just for my own sake i've compared Golden Axe on the Amiga vs MD: The MD version has faster movements and is nearly full screen. Of course you have to play it in NTSC mode, not in crappy PAL with borders and 50 FPS. It was designed as a NTSC game.

The Amiga version is slower, is more colourful and sounds better. And of course NO full screen (slighty borders left/right, bigger borders up/down). One button controls isn't good here. Jump is on Joy up and magic on an extra key.
Old 12 October 2012, 21:44   #27
JudasEZT

Do not forget we are speaking about Amiga.. in this very same forum there are other sections where you can speak of megadrive..

and surely there is an equivalent on the net, something like English Megadrive Board.

Last edited by prowler; 12 October 2012 at 23:18.
Old 12 October 2012, 23:34   #28
prowler
Global Moderator

I closed this thread in order to clean it up after discussion with other moderators. It is now reopened.

@JudasEZT: This was a poll you created to hear other users' opinions on the relative merits of the two games.

In the interests of healthy debate, please refrain from throwing insults at other contributors to the discussion whose opinions you do not share. If you continue to do so it will surely have a negative impact on the popularity of your 'Duel' polls.

Thankyou.
Old 12 October 2012, 23:52   #29
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Do not forget we are speaking about Amiga.. in this very same forum there are other sections where you can speak of megadrive..
You posted in Nostalgia & memories. This perfectly suits any other platform talk. As we did it here since ages. If i argue that the Amiga version isn't a really good port i've to compare it to the original Arcade or other ports. It's a duel, so expect a bit talk about it. Or do you really wanted a boring poll only, with adulation for the Amiga ports of GA and DD II?
Old 13 October 2012, 00:41   #30
JudasEZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Guess we have a Amiga biased opinion here.
Not really. In any case the bias comes from hard work and professionalism. And that is what showed Dementia with the Amiga version of Golden Axe. Arguably one of the top 3 games of its genere for the system it was converted. ( exactly the same of RichardAplin's DD2, due that the duel )
Also won the Golden Joystick Award for coin-op conversion for 16bit.
A hard work recognized in top sales and an award.

If you define the game as lame, it doesnt matters, but if you persist with insidious commentaries then you start to devalue the Nostalgia&Memories character of the thread.

Apart of that, as this is Nostalgia&Memories,.. try not to bore and persist with technical aspects.. moreover if they are from other system.
Old 13 October 2012, 00:48   #31
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Obviously you didn't get the point at all. Anyway, i'm out. Good luck with your "duel".
Old 13 October 2012, 00:52   #32
prowler
Global Moderator

I'm disappointed to say the least.

At this point I can only agree with Retro-Nerd and hope your luck holds despite your attitude.
Old 13 October 2012, 00:57   #33
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Move the threads to 'Amiga scene' and let's get over with this pathetic 'argumentation' of the OP...

Last edited by TCD; 13 October 2012 at 01:09.
Old 13 October 2012, 00:59   #34
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

If i'm sounding harsh or even rude, then i apologize. But clearly not for my own opinions about game ports. I also give a shit about awards in magazines, i can check the games myself.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 13 October 2012 at 01:04.
Old 13 October 2012, 01:03   #35
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
If i'm sounding harsh or even rude, then i apologize.
Rest easy, mate. You have nothing to apologize for, IMHO. He got what he asked for by starting the thread.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Move the threads to 'Amiga scene'.
Done!

Last edited by prowler; 13 October 2012 at 01:19.
Old 13 October 2012, 01:27   #36
JudasEZT

Well, I apologize for any inconvenience. Sincerely.
Old 13 October 2012, 01:29   #37
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudasEZT View Post
Well, I apologize for any inconvenience. Sincerely.
Your apology is accepted.
Old 13 October 2012, 01:59   #38
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Cheers prowler
Old 13 October 2012, 10:29   #39
fishyfish
Banned

Nope, no Amiga bias. I love the amiga, but am more than willing (heck Ive said it a few times) that amiga games typically dont age as well as a lot of other systems. Im an Amiga fan, but its definately not for the vast majority of games from it heyday.

What I judged my opinion on was running them simultaneously (both on original hardware) and judging for myself.

Theyre both a little different from the arcade parent in different ways, but overall I prefer the Amiga version.

To each his own, but to question people finding Amiga version playable is, well, I'll say, "interesting". It's not exactly rocket science, nor a detriment to press up/down plus fire instead of a different button.
Old 13 October 2012, 10:56   #40
lesta_smsc

Tough one ... But Golden Axe due to its background music which was so well synced with the gameplay. Also, me and my brother had hours of fun trying to complete it... Dum dum dum du-du-du-dum!...