Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
63 percent already, while 44 days left
Old 20 April 2012, 12:53   #22
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Well i don't think this compilation will be any good, butif I had some cash now I'd donate, just to support one of my favourite composers and influences.

It's a good, tangible way to 'give back' for all the good work in the past.
It's more like a preorder if you "donate" 25 or 50$:
Quote:
Pledge $25 or more (120 Backers so far)

All rewards of previous levels + download the finished (3 CD equivalent) album as high quality mp3s, including a digital PDF booklet. Get a personal thank you email from Chris!
Estimated Delivery: Dec 2012

Pledge $50 or more (513 Backers so far)

You get the Limited Edition Album 3 CD Box Set, numbered and signed! Also download the finished album in advance (as soon as the master is shipped to the manufacturer) as high quality mp3s with digital booklet + all rewards of previous levels! (For shipping of the Box Set outside of Germany, please add 10 USD)
Old 20 April 2012, 14:29   #23
spannernick
Retro Nuts

The funny thing is that i would load the game (Turican 3) just to listen to the music,I didn't play the game much...
Old 20 April 2012, 15:14   #24
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannernick View Post
The funny thing is that i would load the game (Turican 3) just to listen to the music,I didn't play the game much...
I did the same with many games, like Turbo Outrun on the C64 with fantastic Jeroen Tel music.
Old 20 April 2012, 15:18   #25
wanderer
I want an A1000

Let's be glad he's focusing on the Amiga versions. Can't wait to hear to first Turrican proper. No space bar trick in that one.

Turrican II always gets the spotlight, but some of the best tunes come from the first one.
Old 20 April 2012, 16:29   #26
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
Turrican II always gets the spotlight, but some of the best tunes come from the first one.
You said it correctly. SOME of the best tunes are from the first one. And SOME of the best tunes are from the second one. IMO, more from the second one but that remains personal taste.
Old 20 April 2012, 16:46   #27
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Both parts have an epic soundtrack The title track of Turrican II still sends the most shivers down my spine, so that's why I'd rate 2 a tiny bit over 1.
Old 20 April 2012, 18:21   #28
cncfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Well, at the moment only well known game/music maker legends asks for money. Would be probably different if complete unknown people ask for that kind of funding for a project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
If I would do it, I certainly wouldn't get a dime.

I guess people can see through the money to what is really asked - not to back a project, but to back a project which would otherwise not see the light of day in the form that the developer intends. Wasteland 2 would probably not be in classic Wasteland style, but first person...

I think what it boils down to is that I underestimate the number of brothers and sisters we actually have in the world; true gamers who see the beauty in classic gameplay.
Well how about this one. It's come out they will be using the latest RPG maker software to make it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-classic-desig

Although it's a college kid making this game i think your last sentence kinda answers why this one is successful. (classic gaming)

Last edited by cncfreak; 20 April 2012 at 18:27.
Old 20 April 2012, 21:22   #29
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
Let's be glad he's focusing on the Amiga versions. Can't wait to hear to first Turrican proper. No space bar trick in that one.

T1 has some excellent tunes and some neat ones. The title tune is decent but reborn to perfection in T2. T2 has quite a number of staggering songs however on another level. Which Turrican music you prefer is fine isn't it but technically i think it's justifiably recognised that T2 and CH's mastery of song composition here is unmatched. T2 is on another level and will unlikely never be matched- if we're talking pure song work. I imagine even CH himself must wonder how he was able to compose to this exact quality
Old 21 April 2012, 20:23   #30
wanderer
I want an A1000

Chris Huelsbeck live now on http://scenesat.com/ talking about the project.
Old 22 April 2012, 15:52   #31
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Or

I am still totally amazed of it and I have been owning this for a year now.
That will be playing on Amiga Hits Radio soon..
Old 27 April 2012, 14:43   #32
wanderer
I want an A1000

The Turrican Anthology will come to life hopefully until Christmas, the pledge was reached! The next goal is an increased pledge for possible inclusion of a fourth CD.
Old 27 April 2012, 20:25   #33
ma693541
Computer Wizard

Wow, look at this; 1,151 BACKERS, $77,401 PLEDGED OF $75,000 GOAL, 37 DAYS TO GO.
Old 02 May 2012, 22:35   #34
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Now PayPal is possible. 95000 $ = a fourth CD. With a 75 $ pledge you also get an USB stick with original game recordings, recorded from real hardware.
Old 03 May 2012, 01:04   #35
FromWithin
Music lord

Seems like a good time to post a photo of me and a bunch of other game musicians at GDC this year. Chris is to my right and Andy Barnabas to my left. As far as I'm aware, the others (apart from Yannis Brown on the extreme left) have no Amiga connection.

Last edited by FromWithin; 03 May 2012 at 01:08. Reason: Added link to Yannis interview
Old 30 May 2012, 01:24   #36
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Chris completed the first track. It's a nice teaser for the upcoming Anthology. Well balanced in original chip tune vs. composition/sound enhancement.

Edit: Links removed. Was meant for the 5$+ pledgers.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 30 May 2012 at 03:10.
Old 30 May 2012, 02:13   #37
wanderer
I want an A1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Chris completed the first track. It's a nice teaser for the upcoming Anthology. Well balanced in original chip tune vs. composition/sound enhancement.
Erm... are you sure it's ok to post links?

To the point: It really saddens me to say I didn't like it. I immediately knew I had to hear the original again: the old one feels so much better. The new track sounds more like a careful remix than a revival/celebration of the original, which is what I (pointlessly?) expected. It's not bad, but I expected a more powerful piece.There are various "metal" remixes of Huelsbeck tracks out there, far more exciting than this. The characteristic percussion is replaced by blander versions and the new added melodies, quite well-done on their own, are distracting and often heavily overshadow the originals (the 3d-higer melody at 3:21 completely kills it for me). I hope Chris continues with a more daring approach, but staying even truer to the original.

Last edited by wanderer; 30 May 2012 at 02:33.
Old 30 May 2012, 02:50   #38
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Maybe you expect too much, or wanted it too much original. I don't know if this track is final, we will see it in December i guess.

Edit: Just read this track was meant for the 5$+ pledgers. Well the track was/would be linked from others anyway. But i remove it for now.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 30 May 2012 at 03:13.
Old 30 May 2012, 03:24   #39
wanderer
I want an A1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd
Maybe you expect too much, or wanted it too much original.
I definitively expected sounds closer to the original ones, perhaps with an approach similar to this: (btw can we have a before/after sample tune, Akira?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
A friend of mine is taking his old Amiga tunes and replacing all the samples with better, higher quality versions of themselves, wherever possible. He went and resampled as much as he could.
The result is fantastic and doesn't loose the characteristics that made the original what it is.
Old 30 May 2012, 03:28   #40
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Yes, that would be sound improvement only. Interesting too. But that's not what Chris intended to do. He said that from the beginning. Close to the originals, but with enhancements/changes if he feels it could work. You could re-arrange these tracks in 1000 different ways and you couldn't please all his fans.