English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 January 2012, 21:37   #21
Asman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
I started on a Mario clone back in 96 or 97. I had place-holder graphics and basic scrolling and collision detection going but lost interest in it. It's not something I'll pick up on again but thought I would share anyway.

[ Show youtube player ]
Very impressive. Could you sent to me the sources to look into this nice piece of code ? Thank you.
Old 18 January 2012, 02:15   #22
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Why would you want SMB, as Giana is better anyway!?
Old 18 January 2012, 02:26   #23
Amiga1992

Giana Sisters being better? That's just wishful, fanatic-driven thinking, my friend.
Old 18 January 2012, 03:24   #24
fishyfish
Banned

I quite like Giana, but it is a pale imitation. The only thing better about it vs. Mario in my opinion is the music.
Old 18 January 2012, 04:19   #25
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Not at all. I have played both and, while they are fairly similar, GGS is superior. I don't see on what basis anyone would think Mario is better.
Old 18 January 2012, 04:48   #26
fishyfish
Banned

Haha,... very scientific and painstaking detail and effort there to deduce your analysis.

"I played them both".

hahaha, that's funny as.

Never considered that most people have also, and that others have thier own tastes/opinions?

Mario has more secrets, better placed secrets, more interesting enemies, more variety, slightly better controls and so on and so forth. Giana is more akin to a "Super Mario Light".

To each his own though, and thanks for the highly amusing post.
Old 18 January 2012, 06:17   #27
switchblade

It's kind of amazing how I haven't seen anyone do an SMB clone for the Amiga, considering how simple it could've been. I know there's a Sonic the Hedgehog alpha test or something for the Amiga, but not a single attempt at a remake was ever made for Super Mario Bros.

It's even more surprising considering how difficult it was, apparently, to try and do the kind of fast parallax-scrolling that Sonic did, and yet somebody was successful enough to make a small demo on it anyway on the Amiga (albeit with limited colors, and others).

That Stario Land clone for the ST is pretty damn amazing, but unfortunately, it constantly repeats one part of a level over and over again. Still, nice attempt for a Mario clone on a machine that's horribly weak compared to the Amiga.
Old 18 January 2012, 08:38   #28
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

>hahaha, that's funny as.

It wasn't intended to be amusing. Admittedly it is only a subjective opinion and as such others may have differing opinions.

Last edited by Minuous; 18 January 2012 at 14:59.
Old 18 January 2012, 09:03   #29
fishyfish
Banned

Chill out guy, Im just stirring

If its all the same though, Id rather keep playing both
Old 18 January 2012, 10:12   #30
frikilokooo

Stario Land is a good clone because has the same inertia that SMB and the sprint button.Giana Sister no more resembles that in some background tiles with SMB.
Old 18 January 2012, 12:28   #31
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchblade View Post
It's kind of amazing how I haven't seen anyone do an SMB clone for the Amiga, considering how simple it could've been. I know there's a Sonic the Hedgehog alpha test or something for the Amiga, but not a single attempt at a remake was ever made for Super Mario Bros.
I think what makes SMB great is the game design. The levels are flawless, teh balance is there... it goes beyond technical matters.
The "Sonic alpha"| thing is a backbone game with the sonic character and not much else resembling Sonic the Hedgehog. I'd say it's a Sonic inspired game but not "Sonic for Amiga". It's terribly misleading and detrimental to call it that way
Old 18 January 2012, 15:22   #32
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Someone made Super Mario Bros clone for Amiga http://www.drpetter.se/files/game_projects_info.txt but I don't know how can I access these files.
I emailed Tomas of www.drpetter.se (thanks to s2325 for the link) asking if he still had any of his work, he kindly replied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Pettersson
On 18/01/2012 13:52, Tomas Pettersson wrote:
Hi. Yeah, I made quite a few small and unfinished games back in the day. One or two were completed enough to be worth playing, perhaps. Almost none of them were standalone executables though. If you can set up AMOS Pro, I might be able to dig out the code for some games that you can run from the editor. I have copied many over to a PC drive years ago. Most of the games are pretty slow and boring, so I'm not sure if you want to go to all the trouble of playing them.

Let me know.

/T
I've not replied as I'd like to know if you guy's would be interested before I put a request in.

Last edited by seuden; 19 January 2012 at 15:47.
Old 18 January 2012, 21:54   #33
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asman View Post
Very impressive. Could you sent to me the sources to look into this nice piece of code ? Thank you.
Sure. The video I uploaded is a few years old and I only have source backups on the Amiga which is at my brother's place, so I'll PM them to you this weekend or so.
Old 19 January 2012, 14:49   #34
fishyfish
Banned

@seuden

Sorry guy, have I missed something here. Your response seems a little random in a thread about amiga super mario

Despite that though, I could be interested, but what amiga stuff has the guy done? I had a quick browse on the site but couldnt find it.

edit: actually never mind, I looked again and found what I was looking for. Im definately interested. Always fun to see what people do with AMOS There's some interesting stuff there, the Super Mario Clone looks cool

Last edited by fishyfish; 19 January 2012 at 14:55.
Old 19 January 2012, 15:48   #35
seuden
uber cool demi god

Hopefully that makes it a little clearer that I was responding to a link s2325 posted above.

I'll reply to Tomas this evening.
Old 19 January 2012, 21:56   #36
musojon74

What about - SUPERTUX???!!!! I know it's a total rip of SMB but the music is cool. And you get to play a penguin. A Penguin!
Old 20 January 2012, 00:07   #37
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by musojon74 View Post
What about - SUPERTUX???!!!! I know it's a total rip of SMB but the music is cool. And you get to play a penguin. A Penguin!
That game is an enormous pile of garbage.
Old 20 January 2012, 07:55   #38
Cammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by musojon74 View Post
I think it would also be cool to have an Amiga-native port of Giana's Return since it's already available for AmigaOS4, Aros and MorphOS.

Old 20 January 2012, 12:58   #39
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
I think it would also be cool to have an Amiga-native port of Giana's Return since it's already available for AmigaOS4, Aros and MorphOS.
YOu know that game is just OK, but what I'd really love to see is Giana's official sequel, the one released for Nintendo DS and iPhone. Now ThAT is a sweet game.
Old 20 January 2012, 13:14   #40
fishyfish
Banned

@musojon74

Im familar with SuperTux, but have never played it.
Gotta say that I enjoyed your enthusiasm for being able to play as a penguin though