English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 31 July 2003, 06:18   #21
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Re: When the cost is ?

Quote:
Originally posted by woodshed57
a fan like any enthusiast will go to great lengths and expense to achieve what they see as their goal for those who are happy to revel in a purist fashion of simple memorey expanded machines that seems ok but when acceleration or expensive and rare add ons come to play .... thats another question , when does a miggy cease to be one ? when its towered some would say others look for emulation as a road back but surely its that perspective that makes us individuals , we each decide how far is enough { for now anyway ! }
A miggy isnt a miggy when it cant natively run any original miggy software (amigaone).
Old 31 July 2003, 06:40   #22
woody57

A Case In Point

..without doubt Unkown - K you present a view I agree with , after all without software its like the Commodore Badged PC,s of the Escom fiasco . I do wonder if for all the never neverland promises we are looking at Amiga Ones as developer tools , but since their architecture is borrowed wots new , the intended OS I,m not convinced it will attract enough sales to warrant more than novelty value as did 3.5 & 3.9 previously , each getting further away old prog compatibility , however some people will allways want rare and exotic even if the perfomance is poor just for the sake of completing a collection .
Old 31 July 2003, 06:58   #23
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Re: A Case In Point

Quote:
..without doubt Unkown - K you present a view I agree with , after all without software its like the Commodore Badged PC,s of the Escom fiasco . I do wonder if for all the never neverland promises we are looking at Amiga Ones as developer tools , but since their architecture is borrowed wots new , the intended OS I,m not convinced it will attract enough sales to warrant more than novelty value as did 3.5 & 3.9 previously , each getting further away old prog compatibility , however some people will allways want rare and exotic even if the perfomance is poor just for the sake of completing a collection .
I always thaught the commodoreone was a good idea since it just updated the hardware so you can use a better svga screen, more memory, faster processor, you can run all the old software and even use the old hardware addons.

But the Amiga one cant use the old hardware and wont run the old software (except maybe for emulation that you can do on an old obsolete and cheap commodoty PC).

One camp was smart and kept the best parts of their system and just made it more modern and usefull while the other camp just used the old name and tossed away everything that was good about it.

As far as the amigaone being rare and exotic, I dont think so. Anybody can goto their website and use their credit card to buy one so its not rare. The unit is built around a now obsolete g3 processor that apple pretty much gave up a long time ago, its about as exotic as a pentium II era computer with an amiga sticker on the front case. The key in thinking if the machine is worth the money is to forget it ever had an amiga nameplate and then look at what the specs are and what software is available for it... enough said.
Old 31 July 2003, 08:34   #24
woody57

maybe I,m senile ?

.. but as I recall the Escom { German Company } only produced a small number of 1200 3.1 chiped machines the machines on sale in the Uk badged Commodore were just standard PC,s { windows based } not improved 4000 models . However Unknown _k I think you miss my point your being sensible & very practicle in your acessment of AmigaOne situation there may be net promises of this machine but except for a few genuine developer boards I,ve seen pictures of , its not a high street commodity , hence my "rare " label as for exotic I take the second meaning of " ornamental " rather than valuable , but yet it is merely my viewpoint and I would not hasten to enter into a crusade please feel free to drive huge holes through my reply as since this is all subjective it can only help
Old 31 July 2003, 09:38   #25
ant512

Re: maybe I,m senile ?

Quote:
.. but as I recall the Escom { German Company } only produced a small number of 1200 3.1 chiped machines the machines on sale in the Uk badged Commodore were just standard PC,s { windows based } not improved 4000 models .
Escom produce a reasonable number of 1200s, with some daft modifications (cheap PC floppy drives that wouldn't load most games, the 2B motherboard). They also produced some A4000Ts.
Old 31 July 2003, 09:43   #26
Pyromania

I got my Blizzard 060/PPC card for free, well I traded some Amiga software I developed for it. Now I just need the GFX card that is ment to work with it.