English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 07 April 2004, 03:27   #21
woody57

Smile Failure to complete military missions results in

obviosly NON payment BUT also your promotion can be frozen beyond the normal required points to achieve the next step .

Equally if you are working both sides of the fence federation & imperial unless you work them equally the variety of missions for higher ranks disapear.

Since bombing & reconasance missions get you more brownie points than messages & parcels it is a good idea not to take on anything you can't complete in time.

Besides those are the missions that get you the big medals & IMHO are the most challenging because you have to use manual control to complete them IF

Your not cheating eg flying an Eagle MKIII that miraculously has room for a class 7 hyperdrive / autohull repair system/ 400 shield generators and is fitted with a 100MW beam laser in short invinceable but NO chalenge

but hey you just asked a simple question and theres me rambling again

Sorry enverex can you tell I,m a fan of the original or what

have fun
Old 07 April 2004, 14:49   #22
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay
wont Ian Bell get pissed off with that, didn't he throw a wobbler about David making Elite freeware?
The only interview I'd ever seen with Ian Bell was one on the C64 GTW site;it seems like there was some sort of major falling out between them some years ago-I always wondered though how David Braben seemed to take sole ownership of the "franchise" though with his subsequent releases of Frontier etc.
Old 07 April 2004, 23:14   #23
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally posted by Enverex
DJay, as you seem to know so much about Frontier: When you deliver a military package late, what complications does this have? Do you lose points, or do you just not get paid?
i am a huge frontier fan at one point my A1200 was left on all the time running frontier (i did do some 12 hour sessions on froniter), towards the end of my real amiga experience frontier was the only game i played !!! and woodshed is correct

strangley enough, an old friend came into my work today, i haven't seen for about 7 years.... he told me he still plays frontier (but on the pc now)... weird huh?!?!?
Old 07 April 2004, 23:25   #24
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Say for instance I delivered 3 packages to one system. 1 of them was 2 hours late, the others were fine. Is it a big issue or not?
Old 07 April 2004, 23:42   #25
Djay
95th User

1+1-1=1

the negative would counter balance one of the positives
Old 08 April 2004, 00:31   #26
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Cool

Woo, I had a few days to get somewhere and deliver the 3 parcels, and I felt I HAD to find a way around being late. I cut down everything I could and got being late down from 3 hours 30, to 2 hours 20 which was enough for one of the parcels (even though still late) to be accepted, but this was still not good enough.

So I thought, what if I line up for the planet fully, and rather than slowing down the thrusters when I reach ~6AU, carry on accellerating till I reach about 2AU? Well sure enough, it worked, and the Autopilot managed to guide it in at higher speed after a full manual burn, and slow it down enough, and guess what, this little trick gained me an extra THIRTEEN hours, meaning the packages were now nearly a day early. And for all my effort as well, I got promoted to Corporal.

/me is very chuffed with himself.
Old 08 April 2004, 00:54   #27
woody57

Wink Maybe this will help you Enverex

http://sharoma.com/frontierverse/

And there you will find answers to all your frontier questions

Plus a few add ons

Have fun one day you,ll make admiral

Allthough its quicker to rise in the imperial service if you don,t mind the slavery and drug trafficking
Old 08 April 2004, 01:03   #28
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Actually I have already read everything on that site....
Old 08 April 2004, 21:07   #29
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

djay: I'm torn. Which would you say is the best allround ship?

Viper Defence Craft
Cobra MkIII
Asp Explorer
Imperial Courier

I really can't decide. The Asp is nice, but it loses the great jump range the Viper has with a Class 3 Military Drive. Does jumping from one system to another (assuming they are in a stright line) take as long as jumping stright to another system, or does it take longer? Does it also depend on the type of drive?
Old 08 April 2004, 21:17   #30
Djay
95th User

i'd go with the Asp

Last edited by Djay; 01 July 2011 at 21:34.
Old 08 April 2004, 23:17   #31
Bloodwych

Haha! Enverex, you've acquired the elite bug - such an addictive game isn't it?

Just thought I'd pop in some links you might be interested in. Check out the windows Frontier FE versions! Newspapers add great depth to an already deep game.

Old thread 1
Old Thread 2

I've finished FE in dos eons ago, not sure how stable the windows version is.

Still waiting for Elite 4. Surely it would be a HUGE seller if bug free (unlike the rushed FE).
Old 08 April 2004, 23:34   #32
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Just for the record, I haven't only just started playing the game, I played it for years back in the day, but not very well, so I am determined to do well this time (couldn't be bothered the first time around).

I may try FFE at some point on the PC, but I have heard by quite a few people that it is just more fun to play Frontier instead.
Old 08 April 2004, 23:47   #33
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloodwych
Haha! Enverex, you've acquired the elite bug - such an addictive game isn't it?

Just thought I'd pop in some links you might be interested in. Check out the windows Frontier FE versions! Newspapers add great depth to an already deep game.

Old thread 1
Old Thread 2

I've finished FE in dos eons ago, not sure how stable the windows version is.

Still waiting for Elite 4. Surely it would be a HUGE seller if bug free (unlike the rushed FE).
thx for the FE links, i was gonna ask for the win32 version!
Old 09 April 2004, 17:15   #34
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally posted by Enverex
I may try FFE at some point on the PC, but I have heard by quite a few people that it is just more fun to play Frontier instead.
Frontier FE can be played in exactly the same manner as Frontier if you choose. It's just you have the option of completing hard coded missions as well, offered to you through newspapers.

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay
thx for the FE links, i was gonna ask for the win32 version!
I've played an earlier win32 version (shown below) ages ago and it seemed more buggy than the original DOS version, which I can confirm works fine right through to the end (and beyond). Just be sure to save your game after ever mission - restore points are vital in FFE.

If you play the win32 exe for a while, let us know how stable it is Djay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image5.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	6645  
Old 09 April 2004, 17:28   #35
Bloodwych

Here is an example of the newspapers available...........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	papers.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	6646  
Old 09 April 2004, 17:41   #36
Bloodwych

What the hell, I'm bored. Look who's back:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ffe3.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	6651  

Last edited by Bloodwych; 09 April 2004 at 19:16.
Old 09 April 2004, 17:45   #37
Bloodwych

Slightly better than that puny ASP me thinks Djay - meet the mighty Turner class and prepare to become space dust:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ffe2.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	6648  
Old 09 April 2004, 17:45   #38
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

I've just tried it, and the new ships etc seem nice, but the display is just too rough. what I mean is everything is textured, but it is too low res, consequently it makes eveything hard to see or read (on the phone, or the ship controls etc) if you know what I mean. The only size I could run it on for it to be more readble and cleaner was around 3210x240, but then eveything was too small to see anyway I think I will just stick to Frontier.

Could that turner compete against a Panther Clipper though? From that screenshot it looks like the game has become a joke and had the balance ruined entirely.

Last edited by Enverex; 09 April 2004 at 17:53.
Old 09 April 2004, 18:17   #39
Bloodwych

The blur problem is annoying in the Win32 version, but can be made better by playing around with the config file.

No such issue if you play this game in DOS as it runs in native 320x200 (see below).

Yes enverex, I'm afraid the panther clipper has competition and not just from the Turner - a certain large imperial ship as well. The Turner class shown in the opening sequence isn't available until much later in the game however. The balance is still fine, look how many shield generators are on the turner in that config - 20! I think that's a cracked save file as well - the Turner doesn't have anywhere near the storage space of the mighty Panther Clipper, just impressive acceleration/jump-distance for its size.

Don't get me wrong, I actually prefer the Amiga frontier to all others - it's the least bug ridden, runs great on 030 processors and the plane vectors suit the game better. FFE could have been the best if it wasn't rushed - if you play this game a while you can get a feel of its potential.

FFE was also meant to come out for the Amiga. Considering how buggy the code was, its no show is probably a good thing.

Amiga Frontier will always remain my favourite Elite version so far, no arguments from me there Enverex.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pic004.png
Views:	313
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	6649  

Last edited by Bloodwych; 09 April 2004 at 18:23.
Old 09 April 2004, 18:24   #40
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

I managed to turn off the blurryness (set the winsmooth stuff to 3) but still.

What I meant regarding the balance was that ship had a jump range of 40 something, which is just plain stupid. I'm guessing the only thing it didn't have was accelleration.... or does it? Which is why it is silly.