English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 25 March 2008, 07:21   #21
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodaysForgotten View Post
I dont know what to tell some of you. i feel once you've seen a good shmup (gradius, strikers 1945, gigawing) attack patterns are pretty much assumed. My first game i got 364,000. I was feeling it out.
Its a very nice score and well done, but when it comes to a good shootem-up and seeing a good one, i think the majority of guys on here have been playing games which includes shootem-ups since the 80's, so we have had plenty of experience with them

Last edited by blade002; 25 March 2008 at 10:50.
Old 25 March 2008, 09:49   #22
mailman
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodaysForgotten View Post
The reason the goose ship leaves 3 is when you defeat it before it connects itself.

Also, the money token is invulnerability. You can push the tokens up, saving them for the hard spots. I didnt use that strategy, but its there for the taking.
We can't question your scores but for me it is highly improbable that without seeing this game earlier you reached them so fast and you know the strategy so well. Or maybe this game is so freaking easy and the rest of us are miserable noobies

Keep on playing guys, we can crash his scores!
Old 25 March 2008, 10:00   #23
Graham Humphrey

Well I'm sure some of you can pull this off.

I probably could too, it's just that at my current rate of improvement, I should be able to match his score at around the year 2037.
Old 25 March 2008, 13:40   #24
blade002
Zone Friend

Ok this my first serious go at SWIV since the 90's so i have done quite alright for my 1st shot, and i could have done a hell of a lot better if i had not of lost my spread shot by grabbing the wrong token !! After that i couldn't destroy anything around me and just got smothered..

Here it is

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00657.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	351.1 KB
ID:	16263  
Old 25 March 2008, 13:53   #25
mailman
Zone Friend

Ok, guys. Some questions:

1. Sometimes ground turrets appear. Sometimes they don't? Does anyone know why?
2. Ocassionaly there are some small bunkers which when fired explode into pieces. Sometimes they do not explode into pieces? Why?
3. Once I played strange thing happened. After first 100000 points I got extra life (it is normal thing). But I got another one quite soon having something around 130000 points. Playing again, nothing such happened. Does anyone know what could that be? I remember that I shot red balls with some black logo on them when I got the second extra life. Those balls seem to hover slowly towards top of the screen and when destroyed they fire missiles in circular. I remember I destroyed all of them. Could it be this?
Old 25 March 2008, 14:10   #26
blade002
Zone Friend

Ok here is my new score.. Just gave it one more shot before bed

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00659.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	366.5 KB
ID:	16264  
Old 25 March 2008, 14:11   #27
Shoonay
Global Caturator

I remember seeing this game for the first at my friends setup, on an A500 with 512kb and 512kb of slow ram, that loved to disconnect itself and we usually endup with 512kb only.
Does Swiv work with 512kb?
I'm not sure with that one, but if so, I has a foggy memory the we used to have just a couple of objects on screen/enemies fireing at us, no matter how good or bad we played or how well equiped we were, because of that.
We had no trouble finishing it back in the days - which, I seem to be unable to do so now...

I *think* the game not only adjusts itself to the player's abilities but also his specs.
Old 25 March 2008, 14:50   #28
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5h00n4y View Post

I *think* the game not only adjusts itself to the player's abilities but also his specs.
Well if it puts more on the screen due the higher spec of machine, then i am well and truly fucked running it on my A1200 030/50 with 32 meg fast ram..
Old 25 March 2008, 14:54   #29
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Well, let's not overrate that assumption
It's too old to know anything better than a A500 with 1,5mb
Old 25 March 2008, 14:59   #30
TodaysForgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
Its a very nice score and well done, but when it comes to a good shootem-up and seeing a good one, i think the majority of guys on here have been playing games which includes shootem-ups since the 80's, so we have had plenty of experience with them
I dont doubt that. My arguement was that games like gigawing and strikers are more of a bullet hell. I dont know each of your playing styles or preferences, so while I have no intention of assuming person a has played a bullet hell and person b has not, but what i am trying to say is this game is no bullet hell.

I have played a long list of shmups in my time as well. I may have never played amiga before, but ive played just about every other console under the moon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
We can't question your scores but for me it is highly improbable that without seeing this game earlier you reached them so fast and you know the strategy so well. Or maybe this game is so freaking easy and the rest of us are miserable noobies

Keep on playing guys, we can crash his scores!
I'd hate to think there is any inclination that i may be cheating. The only thing I can really say is, some people may like shmups and others may love them. It doesnt mean either one of those groups may be really good at them. I personally feel Shmups boil down to twitch reflexes and good to excellent hand-eye. Not many people can just pick up games like that and play them well. I also feel that these types of games are either you got it or you dont. Im not talking about someone playing the game 500 times to go by memory. Of course important when a game loops and becomes harder and harder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Ok, guys. Some questions:

1. Sometimes ground turrets appear. Sometimes they don't? Does anyone know why?
2. Ocassionaly there are some small bunkers which when fired explode into pieces. Sometimes they do not explode into pieces? Why?
3. Once I played strange thing happened. After first 100000 points I got extra life (it is normal thing). But I got another one quite soon having something around 130000 points. Playing again, nothing such happened. Does anyone know what could that be? I remember that I shot red balls with some black logo on them when I got the second extra life. Those balls seem to hover slowly towards top of the screen and when destroyed they fire missiles in circular. I remember I destroyed all of them. Could it be this?

1. Happens when you dont die. More ground units appear
2. They are timed. The longer you do not attend to them, the sooner they will explode as you near them (from any direction)
3. I've noticed that too and i believe it relates to how long you last before each death. Generally I think without dying its 100, 300, 600, etc for free life. The maximum lives is 9 before the game ends.
Old 25 March 2008, 15:12   #31
john4p
Competition Moderator

I don't think TodaysForgotten cheats.

I just wish he would have never found out about Amiga games...

@TF: What brought you into the Amiga world so long after its extinction*?

*: Of course the Amiga will live forever!
Old 26 March 2008, 11:03   #32
blade002
Zone Friend

3 Cheers for TodaysForgotten !! After reading all that he has said in regards to expertise within Amiga Gaming and after reading his last statement, i am now 100% inclined to believe that he really is just THAT GOOD at gaming!

Keep playing every round my mate, you are a good challenge that all of us should aspire to beat! Its going to be fun having you around now and hereafter!

GAME ON bitch !!!!..
Old 26 March 2008, 11:38   #33
Monsterland

This sucks when using Winuae and a keyboard, I'll be installing my A500 the coming weekend to crush you all!

(except for TodaysForgotten I'm afraid)
Old 26 March 2008, 13:25   #34
Graham Humphrey

Them's fighting words

It's a shame VermillioN has disappeared, I would've liked to see him go up against TodaysForgotten.
Old 26 March 2008, 15:13   #35
blade002
Zone Friend

You @#$@#%@^@!#^@%!#^@$@#$#@$ !!! ... I got just over 800,000 points and when i got to my last life i accidentally pressed fire after i lost it and used a continue !!!!!!!!!!.. so then my score went back to zero!!.. @#%@%^@^@^@^@%^@#%@
Old 26 March 2008, 15:35   #36
john4p
Competition Moderator

Did that, too. Solution: just die on purpose or press <Escape> and the game will show your best score!
Old 26 March 2008, 16:02   #37
TodaysForgotten

Well, I apologize in advance for the story below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
I don't think TodaysForgotten cheats.

I just wish he would have never found out about Amiga games...

@TF: What brought you into the Amiga world so long after its extinction*?

*: Of course the Amiga will live forever!
Sorry!

I wish I could find events that paid If i were to win or a job that involved games.

Well, I grew up in the 80s playing nintendo at the ripe age of 3. We had about every atari there was. I was not a huge fan of them but my brother was. This could also be since it was in his room. I remember liking but not necessarily comprehending games such as: keystone capper, tapper, lost tomb, spy vs spy, some pirate ship game, jazz jack rabbit, some horrible baseball game and most noteable, Archon. Im sure there were more

Anyhow, back to the point. I bought an xbox 360 about 2 years ago and fell "in-love" with the XBLA. I tried out a game from Jeff Minter called Space Giraffe. I got a message from one one of the helpers of the game to join their yakyak community. I did. After a few weeks there I decided to browse the boards. One of the links was to the Lleague. I scrolled through their past played games list. Nostalgia started to aspire everywhere from within.

I noticed another guy who participated loosely in the lleague had a link in his signature for a retrogaming league. I joined that as well. I've been on both leagues for 3 seasons now and during the 2nd season someone nominated leander for the amiga. I fell in love with the game and wanted to learn more about the Amiga (how to emulate it). I found this forum while looking for an emulator. I then found a how-to on WHDLOAD on the lemon site I believe.

As i scrolled through the board I saw the yearly competition planned for 08. I got excited so i signed up and joined. That is my story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
Keep playing every round my mate, you are a good challenge that all of us should aspire to beat! Its going to be fun having you around now and hereafter!

GAME ON bitch !!!!..
Thank You. Oh great, now im going to have a bunch of angry EAB/Lemon heads after me! Bitch!?!?

Dem fighting words (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterland View Post

(except for TodaysForgotten I'm afraid)
Im only human!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Them's fighting words

It's a shame VermillioN has disappeared, I would've liked to see him go up against TodaysForgotten.
I love challenges. At this point I may not be challenged in SWIV, but Blade is on his way. I know other games other people will shine and i'll be the underdog. I had some nice challenges during Pinball Fantasies and Jump N Roll. That was very fun.
Old 26 March 2008, 17:10   #38
mailman
Zone Friend

I managed to reach some factory.

Last edited by mailman; 25 October 2009 at 19:51.
Old 26 March 2008, 18:33   #39
Lunde
Zone Friend

phew. this can be a hard game at times
this time i got 776370 points
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image4.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	16267  
Old 26 March 2008, 18:43   #40