English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 07 August 2019, 02:48   #21
gulliver
BoingBagged

@MikeA3000

I see your point. Maybe I should do a plug-in disk that both disables FullPalette and installs a MagicWB iconset. Would that suit you?
Old 07 August 2019, 03:03   #22
MikeA3000

@gulliver

Well Gulliver you obviously know way more than I do and I totally appreciate your work. But it would be nice to have some type of option maybe during the install/upgrade to ask if you use MagicWB icon set, if so ignore the FullPallete install or maybe something in the .guide to let us know if the icons change colors how to back out of it. I am sure there is some type of compromise. Keep up your awesome work and I know we all appreciate the work you do on keeping the Amiga alive and moving forward!!
Old 07 August 2019, 11:56   #23
daxb

FullPalette is "just" a colour palette tool independent from MagicWB (colours) and you shouldn't forced to use it. I you never want to change WB screen colours then you don't need FullPalette, else it is the tool. I don't know OS3.1.4 but have you checked the WB prefs for a MagicWB colours checkmark/setting? If it exists, does it work for you? There could be the possibility that BestWB loads a pre defined colour prefs with FPPrefs that might conflict WB settings. gulliver should tell you.
Old 07 August 2019, 16:36   #24
gulliver
BoingBagged

FullPalette is there to automatically load a more suitable 16 color palette for the GlowIcons set.

The available palettes can be found in SYS:Prefs/Presets/FullPalette

Hint: Just delete SYS:Prefs/env-archive/sys/fullpalette.prefs, then reboot and you will be able to use the MagicWB setting from the Workbench prefs program without any issues.
Old 11 August 2019, 17:57   #25
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Think I would be happy if there was an option to select either GlowIcons, NewIcons or MagicWB as an option as people like all three, I was going to ask if there was a way to install BestWB without GlowIcons but it looks like others want that too.

Last edited by enigma776; 11 August 2019 at 22:35.
Old 11 August 2019, 21:39   #26
hUMUNGUs

Engima776: Great idea.. Love it.
Old 13 August 2019, 01:19   #27
Ledfoot

Ah, ok, my bad. I was confused by the naming of the files in the 1.1-1.2 update. I was thinking I just needed the BestWBup122.adf and I wasn't seeing the installer. Didn't realize it was 2 ADF disks worth of update.

My bad!! Got it all installed...

Also, just an FYI, there's a discussion over here: http://apollo-core.com/knowledge.php...2&x=6&z=Juse8u About a few issues with BestWB with the Vampire (apparently you install a few things which can actually barf because the Vampire fixes some things and don't require the patches that things like MMULib are meant to fix. Might want to take a look if you're interested in helping support...

Thanks for the great work!
Old 13 August 2019, 02:28   #28
gulliver
BoingBagged

@enigma776

Ok, I will put it in the ToDo list for the next update.

@Ledfoot

I don't patch anything at all. I only provide a premade setup with extra programs, to work on Amigas. If the platform running is not an Amiga some weird things can occur on some circumstances.

The VampireV2 is currently implemented as a hack, it does not fix things, it just makes them faster and adds a couple of nice features such as RTG, network support, etc. It has a non compatible MMU, it does not anounce its cpu properly to the system, it does not AutoConfig, etc. It is a cool hack on great hardware nevertheless. If they make it more Amiga compatible BestWB should work out of the box.
Old 13 August 2019, 15:36   #29
Estrayk

Thanks for all your work Gulliver, I'll test it when I will back from holidays.
Old 13 August 2019, 23:37   #30
Ledfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
@enigma776

Ok, I will put it in the ToDo list for the next update.

@Ledfoot

I don't patch anything at all. I only provide a premade setup with extra programs, to work on Amigas. If the platform running is not an Amiga some weird things can occur on some circumstances.

The VampireV2 is currently implemented as a hack, it does not fix things, it just makes them faster and adds a couple of nice features such as RTG, network support, etc. It has a non compatible MMU, it does not anounce its cpu properly to the system, it does not AutoConfig, etc. It is a cool hack on great hardware nevertheless. If they make it more Amiga compatible BestWB should work out of the box.

Actually, there is a new version of WhichAmiga which correctly identifies the Vampire... Their '080 implementation doesn't need some of the "cpu fixes/patches" that users of '040 and '060's need to fix errata in the chips.

Not saying it's on you to "patch". Just saying if you can without too much hassle it would be cool to detect the Vampire and not install the stuff that can cause issues because the Vampire doesn't need it.
Old 14 August 2019, 00:04   #31
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledfoot View Post
Actually, there is a new version of WhichAmiga which correctly identifies the Vampire... Their '080 implementation doesn't need some of the "cpu fixes/patches" that users of '040 and '060's need to fix errata in the chips.
Errr... the major part of the 68040/68060.library is not related to "cpu fixes" or "patches", but they provide the full set of transcendental functions on the FPUs of both chips which are supported by the 68881/882 but not the 68040 and 68060. This is hardly a fix. In the same sense, a Vampire would also benefit from such a system for every FPU instruction that requires execution in full (extended) precision the Vampire does not support - it has also a limited FPU that computed with a restricted precision, but does not implement a trap mechanism to allow emulation of an extended precision computation. Instead, it provides just a restricted precision result. I would hardly call that "better".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledfoot View Post
Not saying it's on you to "patch". Just saying if you can without too much hassle it would be cool to detect the Vampire and not install the stuff that can cause issues because the Vampire doesn't need it.
But it *should* need something like it. I mean, instead of computing with a precision below double instead of extended, even if extended was requested.