English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 04 June 2020, 16:29   #21
RuySan

I got to the second level and got ganged up by dwarves right away. The game looks awesome but it feels so slow and unresponsive. It's a shame. I really hate this fire+direction control scheme (like Lionheart). Why did so many Amiga developers complicated things?
Old 04 June 2020, 21:19   #22
NeoHippie2016
Freak

I LOVE Myth on the CD32. Sorry for my contribution, because unfortunately I don't play with.
Old 04 June 2020, 23:41   #23
Biscuit
Baked Produce

RuySan, you can just jump over those guys. But there is a special item you need for your inventory on that level.

The controls are a double edged sword. Not easy to learn but having them gives the game more variety in the way you approach enemies. Needing to choose not only the right item, but sometimes the right move to defeat things. Makes the game feel more modern to me.

Once I got the hang of the fighting the game isn't too hard, well, so far. Lots of timing and knowing what to do. Asgard gets a bit hectic but the trick is to do it as quick as possible.

@NeoHippie2016
Your contribution is just fine. I'm liking Myth a lot.

There can't be many games that are on the C64, Amiga and CD32.
Old 05 June 2020, 23:31   #24
manossg

After a bit of practice on Paperboy, with very slow and careful rounds, I managed to make it to Saturday with a hefty score, before those goddamn remote controlled cars did me in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Paperboy 114950.png
Views:	129
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	67614  
Old 06 June 2020, 04:30   #25
ROM

so my first attempts at this game, so far i like it, took me a min to figure out how to chop the head off the skeleton on the 1st lvl, i cut him off the chain and I dropped down and killed a bunch of them and was like WTF is going on here lol. 2nd lvl,I pretty much jumped over them as I was slicing them non stop and I figure i can't keep this up all night lol then i got to Athena and Medusa got me first shot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	score.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	1,007.6 KB
ID:	67619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Temple of Athena.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	986.4 KB
ID:	67620  
Old 06 June 2020, 09:50   #26
RuySan

Paperboy was always more a spectrum game to me, but this is still good, timeless fun.
Old 07 June 2020, 19:03   #27
keithshaw3

This is a great idea, it gives people the opportunity to find and play new games with an added incentive, will give both games a bash tomorrow

Edit - I must have spent a fortune on paperboy in the arcade and I don't think I've ever played Myth....
Old 07 June 2020, 23:17   #28
Biscuit
Baked Produce

Welcome to the games manossg, ROM, and keithshaw3.

@manossg
That's a monster score to be dropping. I'm enjoying Paperboy more than I expected but must be missing loads of scoring opportunities compared to you.

@keithshaw3
Hi. Before this round I'd only ever played a cover disk demo of Myth and got nowhere with it. Liking it a lot now.

Think I'm about 3/4 through it. Spent ages running about in the pyramid not knowing what to do. Sure I've missed something very significant because I can't get past Anubis. Probably need to explore the whole level more carefully.

Old 07 June 2020, 23:29   #29
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
Welcome to the games manossg, ROM, and keithshaw3.

@manossg
That's a monster score to be dropping. I'm enjoying Paperboy more than I expected but must be missing loads of scoring opportunities compared to you.
Thanks for the opportunity to revisit some old games and to discover new ones!

The trick in Paperboy is to take your time and go slow, smashing windows/graves and shooting people, that creates a nice bonus in the top right. Also, it's a good idea to choose the top route in the bonus stage, since I think it has more targets to hit.
I hope I can find the time to practice and beat Sunday as well and complete it, but there are some devilish remote controlled cars in the later stages (days) that always cost me a life. Maybe I need to get off the pavement altogether.
I always thought of Paperboy as an Amstrad CPC game, since that's where I played it back in the day. So it is a good chance to see the Amiga version, although it seems a bit easy after the CPC.

About Myth, I tried to play this game and reached the raven stage (with a walkthrough, of course) and got fed up with the clunky, slow controls. What do you have to do to make the raven fly? Just kill the dwarves quickly? And also I managed to kill the damn bird, but I think mostly due to luck. I don't enjoy this one very much.
Old 08 June 2020, 01:37   #30
Biscuit
Baked Produce

Why didn't I think of smashing the graves, lol. And I need to hit more targets on the dirt track. I've never played Paperboy on anything else so it's all new to me.

SPOILERS
For Myth, I think the raven will take off when you kill enough dudes. Eventually they stop spawning. But you need to do it quick so go for beheadings. Instead, I always run all the way to the right at the start and the raven seems to stay in the air that way. Once it's dead and you have the coin you're done, which I guess you saw.
/SPOILERS

It took me a while to get used to Myth's controls. It will always be something that stops more people from liking it. A shame but that's the limitations of one button joysticks.
Old 08 June 2020, 15:37   #31
keithshaw3

Oh my god!!!!

Myth has to be one of the most frustrating games I have ever played, even with infinite lives and the solution I could not get past the first Lvl Chimera...

I could not work out how to push a skeleton of the edge they just got stuck until I killed them or could not hit them....

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08 June 2020, 15:51   #32
keithshaw3

Faired a bit better on paperboy

Will have another go before the deadline...

Old 08 June 2020, 18:55   #33
capehorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithshaw3 View Post
Oh my god!!!!

Myth has to be one of the most frustrating games I have ever played, even with infinite lives and the solution I could not get past the first Lvl Chimera...

I could not work out how to push a skeleton of the edge they just got stuck until I killed them or could not hit them....

[IMG][/IMG]

You have to cut down the hanging skeleton first, then chop it's head off using the sword. The fire pit you are standing at in this screenshot is the wrong one, the one you want is the one to the right (the one where the skeleton falls near after you cut him down).
Old 08 June 2020, 19:47   #34
john4p
Competition Moderator

Like it a lot so far. No issues at all with the control scheme.
Old 08 June 2020, 20:07   #35
keithshaw3

Quote:
Originally Posted by capehorn View Post
You have to cut down the hanging skeleton first, then chop it's head off using the sword. The fire pit you are standing at in this screenshot is the wrong one, the one you want is the one to the right (the one where the skeleton falls near after you cut him down).
mm, I did cut him down but did not see him anywhere below me, will try again later in the week
Old 09 June 2020, 17:09   #36
manossg

I did it, you can avoid the remote controlled cars with ease if you stay above them and then you can shoot the thief with ease as well!

Completed with 3 lives left, but I am sure I could manage a better score.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Paperboy 133750.png
Views:	122
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	67694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Paperboy end.png
Views:	119
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	67695  
Old 09 June 2020, 22:35   #37
Biscuit
Baked Produce

Well done on the first completion. Last time I played I was going between the remote controlled cars fast which was a bit risky. Probably wouldn't work on later levels. Will have to try again. Would like to finish it.
Old 10 June 2020, 00:59   #38
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
Well done on the first completion. Last time I played I was going between the remote controlled cars fast which was a bit risky. Probably wouldn't work on later levels. Will have to try again. Would like to finish it.
Yeah, I watched a longplay in which some intricate dancing between the cars was involved, but I found out that you can just go above them.

Good luck on finishing it, it takes some practice but it is by no means impossible!
Old 10 June 2020, 10:38   #39
RuySan

I had no idea that breaking windows and taking down pedestrians was advisable

Old 10 June 2020, 11:07   #40
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuySan View Post

I had no idea that breaking windows and taking down pedestrians was advisable

Yeah, it's not so obvious, but the number on the top right is your smash bonus. It rises when you hit windows/graves/workers/etc. It DOESN'T rise if you break the windows of subscribers, though, so you have to bear that in mind.