English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 December 2007, 21:38   #21
Paul_s

All the versions of Cannon Fodder, c annon fodder, cannon fodder and more cannon fodder
Old 14 December 2007, 23:03   #22
smoorke

Send a message via MSN to smoorke
Colonial Conquest II
Old 15 December 2007, 00:43   #23
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

It would be wrong of me not to mention

Captive

you can read more about it here... http://captive.wikispaces.com/

theres a good start for an absolute classic game that was one of the first few that was able to transcend the ST/Amiga and PC in 1990!!!
Old 15 December 2007, 17:13   #24
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

OK, now for my own personal favourites which may not be universal, some uncommon, but some may make the top 130:

Dragons Breath (very original game, combo of strategy and arcade action tho limited, unbelievable spell making system)
Knights (PD, 2 players can't see each other makes more interesting, very configurable, unlimited fun)
Colonial Conquest II (PD, like civilisation, but more limited and in space)
Inertia Drive (heart stopping suspense and music - smash!)
Eye Of the Beholder (better version of Dungeon Master, more polished)
Kick Off (better than kick off 2 for 2 players as goalies can stuff up, altho kick off 2 more universally liked I believe for more options)
Pirates! (different to other games, more original)
Virus (innovative and fun control of ship using mouse)
Marble Madness (great early arcade conversion)
Midnight Resistance (great 2 player co-op platform game, with nice music)
Dogs Of War (nice music and commando style game play)
Archon (very original board game with arcade play, and great stereo effects not done in other games)
Battle Chess (who would have thought chess could be interesting?)
Lotus Espirit Turbo Challenge (don't know which one, for me 2 or 3)
Powermonger (no better god game, bullfrog were supposed to make another one to be the perfect one, after populous and then this one, but what happened to that? I have heard mega lo mania is supposed to be good but not played it)
Arctic Fox (very very early 3d polygon game, maybe technically best 3d game on home computer at the time 1986)
Gauntlet II (was great hit on atari st, and I think the amiga version is at least as good if not identical)
Transplant (PD, so smooth 1 or 2 player asteroids-type game on steroids action)
Pinball Dreams (great smooth scrolling large pinball table, polished, not sure which version of this series is best)

For the universal list I missed:
The Settlers (not played it, but amiga original and everyone raves about it)
Civilization (not sure if it makes the grade, but seems to make many lists, and PC version is great, haven't played amiga version)

@andrew_rollings
Some of the games up there are less common. I think you really have to play Knights and Inertia Drive to feel them, and the Knights version with intro music is better. Most ppl don't get dragons breath as spell system is too complex for them. Arctic Fox was great for its time, being so young I had no idea other computers of the time were technically incapable of producing such a game.

Last edited by Calgor; 16 December 2007 at 16:56.
Old 15 December 2007, 20:55   #25
paranoid
Phone Zen

Racter (http://hol.abime.net/812) is interesting (and rather pointless).The wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racter) on it doesn't mention the Amiga port, but it had one nonetheless. Not sure it really qualifies as a game, but it was like Eliza (an old program that would parse what you typed in and ask questions..) except, unlike Eliza, it would ramble on in a crazy way. It also used the Amiga speech synthesis, which was a novel idea at the time.

The wiki page is an interesting read. Seems there was a previous version for CP/M and they actually had it write a book. (though, probably edited down from a great deal of material)
Old 16 December 2007, 01:28   #26
A4E

Total Chaos AGA brought Amiga
to a... whole....notha......lEveL....

So it must be added.

Old 16 December 2007, 02:00   #27
blade002
Zone Friend

I have "never" played Total Chaos, although i remember seeing screenshots of it. Maybe its time for a download & from what i understand, its shareware on Aminet yes ?

But hang on ... it runs at 640 x 512 pixels, wouldn't that be high res interlaced ??. Damn my scan doubled PC monitor cant handle Interlace without everything looking like a zig zag factory

Last edited by blade002; 16 December 2007 at 02:09.
Old 16 December 2007, 02:11   #28
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Total Chaos was released in 2003? Hardly surprising that the most old/new Amiga fans never heard about it. It has no historical relevance, the Amiga died ages ago, but a side note would be interesting.

Imho you should use Dune II, Civilization, Sim City, MegaLoMania or something for a in-depth view for the strategy category.

My list:

The Pawn
Populous
Sim City
Guild of Thieves
Monkey Island 1 & 2
Indy III & IV
Blood Money
Turrican series
Lionheart
Pang
Chaos Engine
Lemmings
Lost Vikings
It came from Desert
Defender of the crown
Lotus series
Worms
Alien Breed
Sensible World of Soccer
Kick Off
Cannon Fodder
Pirates
Civilization
B.C. Kid
Dune II
MegaLoMania
Ambermoon
Anstoß/On the ball
Hybris or Battle Squadron
Apidya
some Sierra "Quest" titles
DeluxeGalaga
Elite
Elvira I or II
Flashback
Formula One Grand Prix
Gobliiins
Battle Isle
Humans
Midwinter 1 & 2
Shadow of the Beast
Pinball Dreams to Slam Tilt!
Rick Dangerous
Settlers
Simon the Sorcerer
Starglider 2
Superfrog
Syndicate
Fire & Ice
Paradroid 90

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 16 December 2007 at 05:26.
Old 16 December 2007, 03:55   #29
oneshotdead

Total Chaos, I don't think so.. Populous, that's an Amiga game that demands space.
Old 16 December 2007, 04:53   #30
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

Total Chaos is historically significant because if I couldn't play that game I would have sold my Amiga and moved on years ago. It keeps the Amiga alive for me.

An A1200T serves no practical purpose. If all you want to do is play old 80's action games then all you need is an A500 for that.

My friends from work would laugh at me if I invited them over to play Civilization on my Amiga. But when I invite them over for a Total Chaos Party they are in. Let the monster mash begin!
Old 16 December 2007, 08:03   #31
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Why not a game who renews the interest in the Amiga?

It's a fresh breeze in a dusty/shabby room to me. And it is a superb game, indeed!
Old 16 December 2007, 12:08   #32
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrategyGamer View Post
Total Chaos is historically significant because if I couldn't play that game I would have sold my Amiga and moved on years ago. It keeps the Amiga alive for me.
That doesn't make it historically signficant. It makes it significant for you, undoubtedly, but not as a whole.
Old 16 December 2007, 21:16   #33
alban lusitanae
Pirate of the Tagus

Well you should play it then the problem is that people who love Chaos should know that the game is evolving to infinite possibilities.
Old 16 December 2007, 23:58   #34
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Bloodwych - with a side-mention of Hired Guns, since the latter was inspired by the former. No one else had taken 2 player to the RPG realm before!

SWOS - because it lives on for many people to this day. i suspect due to the fact its the best game ever. (though not -quite- my personal fave)

Kick-Off - for leading to the far superior SWOS.

Lemmings, with side mention of sequels (including the fact L2 is great, but All New Worlds is gash) - because its an iconic, and probably -the- definative Amiga game.

Worms - iconic again, continues to be popular.

Mega Lo Mania - The working man's C&C , with so much sound!

Speedball 2 - new versions of this never cease! not bad for a game that copies Rollerball.

Alien Breed (+ sequels) - Team17 make good by ripping off popular Aliens film.

Alien Breed 3D - seemed so important at the time.

Cannon Fodder - just brilliant, and do you remember the controversy?

Frontier Elite 2 - lets not pretend it was intended for any other system!!

Turrican 2 - even though i dont like the game much, the music is still widely acclaimed!

It Came From the Desert - it's a B-movie!! that you can play!!!

Cruise for a Corpse - it was unique at the time, maybe not a classic, but a good one to talk about i think.

DarkSeed - it's nasty! and dark!

onEscapee - was this meant to be the pinacle of 2d gaming? it looks lovely and plays nicely. so why doesnt it seem as good as Flashback?

Another World / Flashback - they just stand out as great.

Pinball Dreams -> Illusions - The pinball sims that every one afterwards wanted to be.

Quake - becuase they said it would never happen.

Captive - to keep the freaks happy.

Last edited by Hungry Horace; 17 December 2007 at 00:03.
Old 17 December 2007, 00:24   #35
Capitaine

I spent days on these classics :

- Monkey Island 1/2
- EOB 2
- Black Crypt
- The Settlers
- Maupiti Island
- Lemmings

Action Games :

- Speedball 2
- SWIV
- Hybris & Battle Squadron
- Turrican (all)
- Alien Breed (the 2D ones)
- Pac Mania

Racing :

- Lotus Challenge (all)
- Vroom

Ahh memories...
Old 17 December 2007, 09:50   #36
andrew_rollings

Good selection of games here... Most I knew (and had, and played), but some I did not, as I sold my Amiga in about 98...

Still, keep 'em coming - particularly the more obscure ones with interesting histories... As a rule, I prefer commercial releases, but I'm not ruling out any PD out of hand.

Incidentally, what's with the love/hate relationship with Total Chaos?

Andrew

Last edited by andrew_rollings; 17 December 2007 at 10:00.
Old 17 December 2007, 10:32   #37
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_rollings View Post
I don't hate the game at all - I haven't played it a lot but I quite liked what I saw. My point is that it isn't a historically significant game for the Amiga - if it arrived in the early 90s then maybe but a game released long after the Amiga died is hardly going to have a massive impact, is it?
Old 17 December 2007, 18:02   #38
paranoid
Phone Zen

I think it still figures in. I think it shows there was still interest, even if just by a few, to carry out the project. Perhaps it would make an appendix or something. Granted, I've not played the game and don't know a lot about it, but I think if I were checking out a book about Amiga games, I'd want to know about it. I'd figure someone would check out the book for nostalgia or perhaps as a catalog of what to check out (maybe "I always wanted an Amiga.. What did I miss?"). For the former, it might be a "where are they now" kind of thing, for the latter they might go out of their way to check out what would be more modern of a game.
Old 17 December 2007, 18:13   #39
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_rollings View Post
It has been backed by a shameless hype campaign with one review giving it 100% and hijacked threads along the lines of "I don't know much about the strategy game you've mentioned but why don't you try Total Chaos?".

This has had the effect of irritating many and putting them off ever trying the game. Me, I'll stick to King's Bounty.
Old 17 December 2007, 18:20   #40
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett View Post
It has been backed by a shameless hype campaign with one review giving it 100% and hijacked threads along the lines of "I don't know much about the strategy game you've mentioned but why don't you try Total Chaos?".

This has had the effect of irritating many and putting them off ever trying the game. Me, I'll stick to King's Bounty.
I agree with that. Tried this game several times. There is nothing "evolutionary" in TC. Looks like an enhanced Archon clone instead of a traditional fantasy strategy game. Maybe complex, but it lacks decent controls/menues. It's a mediocre freeware game, nothing more.

I'll stick to Death or Glory, which is surspringly a decent Langrisser/Warsong clone.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 17 December 2007 at 19:56.