English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 26 June 2009, 07:57   #21
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Slayer

to be fair that has happened to me.

but I can understand why a seller might think that your trying to be underhanded and there are some as you say think they have potential gold.

I looooong while back I offered £100 for a full Micronik Tower (4x 5.25 bays) with A1200 no roms (not that i care)

he said exactly the same, "No, I would like to see the end of the auction"....

it sold for £68 to ME!!!! HA!

eBay is not a buyers or sellers market.... its a market for eBay to make money. with a 10% final value fee + Paypal Fees its night on 15% of YOUR sale.

sickens me, that is the only reason I deal out side eBay, I deal with a lot of online ebay companies from China and even in the UK, since I buy in bulk I prefer to do it outside of ebay, not becuase it may cost less... but because it doesn't give eBay anything!!! and it goes to the provider!!! much better.

@cebulba / skateblind

dont get me wrong guys, I do share your pain.... but its a fault of the system not its members, infact to get a decent transaction half the time the rules are in the way!

I remember once I was bidding on a 68030 full core and an PGA FPU rated at 50mhz..

I was one of three bidders, at the top with 20 hours to go... I was quite confident in winning, and then both items were removed from ebay.... strangely enough, there was the same guy in the 030 auction and in the fpu auction as well as me and 3 others.....

low and behold no word of a lie 2 weeks later there was the matchin pair from that buyer for £60 the pair...

y'know... i still think he's trying to sell 'em...
Old 26 June 2009, 09:08   #22
Slayer
Amiga Member

Well, at least you could look past that 'suit yourself' mentality and brought it because you wanted it ultimately...

Me, I thought, well, stuff your lousy Game collection! I owned most of what he was selling anyway... and just observed the auction and didn't bid...

I had to resist the urge to enlighten him prior to the auctions completion, but I'm sure he now understands... heh... although more than likely would rather convince himself I wasn't serious simply because I didn't bid... People who make a wrong choice need to find comfort in a less than desirable outcome... there's no wrong in making this choice but people will always try to make themselves feel better... The same reason I said Stuff his auction... throwing a genuine offer back in MY face earns you ZERO! LOL

Last edited by Slayer; 26 June 2009 at 09:13.
Old 26 June 2009, 09:10   #23
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Lol!!!
Old 26 June 2009, 09:47   #24
Slayer
Amiga Member

pssst Zetr0

check it out

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=224796899

I asked the Q before any bids were placed (the dreaded $1 bid or whatever) that is the only time you can add a Buy Now...
Old 26 June 2009, 09:50   #25
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateblind View Post
I am absolutely disgusted by alexh
I get that a lot, especially naked.

Quote:
He was complaining about ebay prices being too high, meanwhile he/she has been doing under handed tactics to get what he wanted.
Prices are too high, this sort of tactic gets you the items you want for a lower price and avoids the pain of snipe bidding and the time invested in waiting for an auction to end.

Quote:
Ebay has become popular because of the way it works and how well it is maintained/run, if they had tried it your way, they probably would have not become the leading online auction site.
Yeah right, not.

Quote:
Go to any live auction in person and you will see it is exactly the same as the way they do it....
Bollocks, real auctions do not end at a specific time. They end when the bidding is over. Each additional bid adds time to an auction. This prevents snipe bidding. Also almost auctions will accept private side bids prior to the auction.
Old 26 June 2009, 09:55   #26
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I get that a lot, especially naked.
That made me lol.
Old 26 June 2009, 11:11   #27
chiark
Needs a life

it made me slightly bilious

I think everyone can just about agree that ebay isn't in it to provide the best and fairest service, it's all about the fees.
Old 26 June 2009, 11:29   #28
Paul_s

Hickory Dickory Dock
Shadow of the Beast sold for £1.50 on BIN
Now with fee's I'm - 50p down
Paypal fees that's another £1
But I got some positive feedback
Hickory Dickory Dock

The morale to this story
is that selling Amiga games
should be made a criminal offence
coz I said so
and by the way
Great Giana sisters is crap so don't you pay 400 euros!
Play Mario... or have a night out with two women or something... instead
Old 26 June 2009, 12:32   #29
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Sorry to bring an old thread up, but I am absolutely disgusted by alexh. He/She was complaining about ebay prices being too high, meanwhile he/she has been doing under handed tactics to get what he/she wanted. Ebay has become popular because of the way it works and how well it is maintained/run, if they had tried it your way, they probably would have not become the leading online auction site.

Go to any live auction in person and you will see it is exactly the same as the way they do it....

Well what is the big deal, I am all too quick to whine about the "Bloody prices Amiga go for on Egay", but, i am all too willing as well to try to get a hold of stuff for as little as i can.
Old 26 June 2009, 12:33   #30
Slayer
Amiga Member

hey!

I used to be able to finish GGS without dying!

I hired this out quite a few times from a hire club, I also remember I was successful in copying it once and decided I'd swap the actual floppy disks... so even though my copy is in a blank disk case it is the actual original floppy disk heh

Then I got the idea to get the highest score I could by repeating certain levels that had the most crystals etc... I could never get 100k but I'm sure I made 90k but not much more than that...
Old 26 June 2009, 12:35   #31
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
Ya know what's funny, being an Amiga Buyer from way back when I make someone an offer it's a serious offer and more than most people would even think of paying. But some people still do not know who I am. Last week I offered a new auction in the questions about putting a buy now for $50 and I'll pay for postage.

Person replies, No, I'd like to see the Auction run its course.

It closed for $11.00

Hahahaha that's a classic, I love it when that happens.
Old 26 June 2009, 13:29   #32
chiark
Needs a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Hickory Dickory Dock
is that selling Amiga games
should be made a criminal offence
coz I said so
Right, agreed, let's close the thread
Mods?

In fact: Paul_S for mod!
Old 26 June 2009, 14:19   #33
skateblind
Village Idiot

why? Its a good discussion, besides me being a bit offensive that is.

Amibay is a great place to buy stuff, I do recommend it. It can be a bit annoying cause there are a few people who sit on the forum for ages and are usually the first one to see the new posts, which means they get first dibs, I think ebay is slighty better in that respect. I know the rules are being updated at the moment, hopefully they will be clearer, as I have broken them a couple of times due to miss-understandings.

Sniping can be avoided by placing a maximum bid, there is absolutely no reason why it should affect you. I would say you are only moaning about sniping because you are not willing to bid higher than what someone else might bid.
Old 26 June 2009, 14:23   #34
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Sniping can be avoided by placing a maximum bid...
That was a good one
Old 26 June 2009, 14:50   #35
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Sniping can be avoided by placing a maximum bid
I wasnt so much complaining about being sniped by other people, but having to expend time sniping myself in order to get the items I want at the lowest price.

Quote:
there is absolutely no reason why it should affect you.
Even if you employ one of the numerous Sniping utilities it still requires extra time over just asking the seller to end their item early for a fixed price.

Quote:
I would say you are only moaning about sniping because you are not willing to bid higher than what someone else might bid.
Damn right thats the reason!

The maximum bid system is flawed for me. Someone, somewhere is ALWAYS willing to spend more money than myself for the items I want.

If I were to place my sensible maximum bid early on, other buyers would apply incremental bids fuelled by "bidding fever" until they are the highest bidder, usually going way beyond their original pre-conceived level for their maximum bid. This pushes up the eventual final price of the item and if I always did this I'd never win an auction.

By waiting until the last possible second to unveil your hand usually results in a lower price as bidders keep to their preconceived "acceptable" max bids having no time to respond and go stoopid.
Old 26 June 2009, 15:05   #36
skateblind
Village Idiot

Quote:
Bollocks, real auctions do not end at a specific time. They end when the bidding is over. Each additional bid adds time to an auction. This prevents snipe bidding. Also almost auctions will accept private side bids prior to the auction.
Quote:
The maximum bid system is flawed for me. Someone, somewhere is ALWAYS willing to spend more money than myself for the items I want
You can also keep bidding for something at a real auction and you may have to pay a high price if someone else wants it too. With ebay, there is an end time, which means won't just keep on going up and up until someone runs out of money. When others are bidding on something, its not right for the seller to close the auction for someone else imho and its also not right for that person to be asking for an early end either.
Old 26 June 2009, 16:20   #37
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I encourage more people to do what is clearly wrong
Old 26 June 2009, 17:35   #38
jmmijo

Quote:
I encourage more people to do what is clearly wrong
I agree with you on this one

@Skateblind, you are a tool of what is clearly wrong in this world of ours, GREED mongering corporations. You are being used by fleabay and other auction sites like them that promote more and more greed by both the sellers and the buyers
Old 26 June 2009, 19:25   #39
skateblind
Village Idiot

right...

Thank you for the constructive input there...
Old 26 June 2009, 21:42   #40
jmmijo

Quote:
right...

Thank you for the constructive input there...
Not meant to be either way, just a sad commentary on the whole auction site scene, there are issues on both sides.

Sellers who are too greedy wanting to sell belly button lint for a mint and buyers that want that same lint for next to nothing.

Classic Machine enthusiasts like pretty much all of us on this board are being screwed by these sellers and hence we have to either play this silly game or go without.