English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 26 September 2013, 22:14   #21
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiac64 View Post
kipper2k can send me only board, i have all components, but for test on cdtv i need place fastram at address 600000-A00000

thanks in advance

PM sent
Old 27 September 2013, 09:30   #22
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
I'll take one of the 4mb ones mate :-)
Old 27 September 2013, 15:58   #23
Hewitson

Wow, this is a very impressive project to say the least.

How difficult would it be to make an SCSI version of these boards?

May I ask why you decided to do a 4mb version? Is there any disadvantage to the 8mb?
Old 27 September 2013, 16:05   #24
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Wow, this is a very impressive project to say the least.

May I ask why you decided to do a 4mb version? Is there any disadvantage to the 8mb?

Hi,

I done the 4mb version as i was impatient to try it so as soon as i got the 4mb on it, i booted it up to test it, it is good for either 4 or 8mb and no PCMCIA slot incompatibilities to worry about. I'll let someone else field the other question
Old 27 September 2013, 17:11   #25
Promilus

Quote:
I believe kipper2k based on CPLD Gayle IDE logic. It just *might* be possible to reimplement A590 logic or some CDTV stuff (33C93A chip?) but I doubt there'd be much speed improvement over CF@ ide&ram
Old 27 September 2013, 17:20   #26
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promilus View Post
I believe kipper2k based on CPLD Gayle IDE logic. It just *might* be possible to reimplement A590 logic or some CDTV stuff (33C93A chip?) but I doubt there'd be much speed improvement over CF@ ide&ram
Surely a DMA SCSI solution would provide a significant improvement in performance over PIO IDE.
Old 27 September 2013, 17:20   #27
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Not practical. This plugs into the 68000 socket. AFAIK that socket does not have the DMA signals going to it required to implement a DMA SCSI controller.

Quote:
Surely a DMA SCSI solution would provide a significant improvement in performance over PIO IDE.
With a 7MHz 68000, yes. But you would be limited to Zorro II DMA bandwidth of ~3Mbyte/s. If you had a much faster CPU you would be able to beat 3Mbyte/s.
Old 27 September 2013, 18:29   #28
Promilus

Quote:
IIRC typically CFIDE68k can make 0.8-1.5MB/s with stock 7MHz 68k and nice CF card. Faster CPU, better speed, so any 520/530 board around or future viper 500, or zeus (i believe it's author wrote something about ide speed) and all those differences vanishes. Plus - as HDD on A500 is all about pure storage and it's always faster than FDD I doubt there'd be much difference in users experience.
Old 27 September 2013, 20:25   #29
kipper2k

due to the average file sizes that we are talking about here, i really cant see us seeing too much of a gain in speed. I could understand if we were talking about reading/writing of huge files but on the Amiga where the max file size is ~1mb for maybe a few games/apps the saving in time must be almost negligable.
Old 28 September 2013, 07:57   #30
jiffy

Brilliant! :-)

Count me in for a 8 MB version, too.

That would give me the A500 I always wanted back in the day: internal hard drive (CF), ram maxed out, an Indivision ECS, OS 3.1 and a KCS Power PC Board. I'm a happy camper! :-)

Last edited by jiffy; 28 September 2013 at 08:20.
Old 28 September 2013, 22:36   #31
psygnosis

Cool stuff will the cf cards you can get off ebay loaded with games work with this

Last edited by psygnosis; 28 September 2013 at 23:30.
Old 29 September 2013, 02:11   #32
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by psygnosis View Post
Cool stuff will the cf cards you can get off ebay loaded with games work with this

yup, providing they aren't fake CF cards are really cheap now so they are definitely worth buying a couple.
Old 29 September 2013, 03:57   #33
Photon

Looking good! Sign me up for one 8MB version!
Old 29 September 2013, 19:34   #34
jiffy

When checking both this thread and the one on Amibay, it seems you're going to have quite a few preorders! :-)

Is there an easy way to connect this board to the floppy led on the A500's case? Would be cool to see drive activity that way. And with 'easy' I mean 'no soldering required when installing'... ;-)
Old 29 September 2013, 20:10   #35
Photon

So you want to rewire the signals... without rewiring? Looks like the LED isn't socketed, so it's impossible even with some adapter. I'll probably keep the floppy led as it is, and just connect my own led to the board's led. That's really easy to do, I think you underestimate your powers
Old 29 September 2013, 21:05   #36
jiffy

No, I don't mean no rewiring, I mean no soldering.

But why would the led need to be socketed to achieve this? The led is currently connected to some pins on the motherboard with a wire, right? Am I thinking in the wrong direction if an extra wire would run from the ram/ide board and connect it to the current led-wire? Something with a Y-cable? Or just an extension cable, in which case the drive led would only show CF activity, no floppy drive activity.

And if that's going to be a hassle, just a simple connector would also be nice. I can scrounge up an extra led from an old pc case without trouble.

Ah well, just a thought.

Last edited by jiffy; 29 September 2013 at 21:18.
Old 30 September 2013, 00:15   #37
TjLaZer

The Novia and AdIDE kit did that, connected 1 wire to allow the HD access light to emit on the floppy LED. Can this be done with this?
Old 30 September 2013, 02:26   #38
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffy View Post
No, I don't mean no rewiring, I mean no soldering.
Rewiring requires soldering, period. You want something impossible. The floppy led is soldered to the keyboard. Kipper2k would have to remove the built in led and solder on an adapter to the keyboard connector, and that would then fit A500 and nothing else.

"Your request is ... unlikely." (c) Spock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffy View Post
But why would the led need to be socketed to achieve this?
Because if it's soldered on, you have to desolder it to connect anything. Like wires to another led or the floppy led via an adapter you make for the keyboard connector.

Just explaining, I understand that you're not proficient so don't take it as an attack. These are the two best options to do what you want: mod it yourself (requires soldering) or Kipper mods all his cards and makes an adapter for A500, even though his board works for many Amiga models.

It really isn't that hard to mod it, and we'll help you if you ask. It's just that your request is a bit silly at this stage and with a card you can use in many Amigas.
Old 30 September 2013, 04:45   #39
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Rewiring requires soldering, period. You want something impossible. The floppy led is soldered to the keyboard.
I'm not sure that's actually true...

The LED is soldered to the keyboard, but the keyboard is connected to the motherboard via wires. If (and I haven't checked) on of those wires is the Floppy LED, then it's perfectly feasible to have what he's asked for.

In fact, even if it's not in those wires, you might even clip a wire to the exposed LED pin, if there's enough space.

So, there might be options for that..

desiv
Old 30 September 2013, 08:53   #40
jiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Because if it's soldered on, you have to desolder it to connect anything.
Yes, I understand that.

It's been years since I opened up an A500, I thought it wasn't soldered on, but connected with a wire. If that was the case, it would've been easy.

But since it seems to be soldered on...

A header on the ram/ide board to connect an activity led would be nice, though.