English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 May 2024, 08:25   #21
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver View Post
a lot of games on the amiga could be improved if it was coded with support for better hardware and not be limited for stock machines. [...]
BitD, as a teenager who had put a lot of his small pocket money in his Amiga, I have always regretted that game were not taking advantage of the extra material I bought. Nevertheless, I was even more disappointed that coders were not taking advantage of the 'stock', and amazing for its time, Amiga hardware specifications and that were already there !

On stock Amiga, new games/projects like Hamulet, Grind, Outrun AGA, Metro siege, etc. are some of the best to prove how most (fortunately not all) of the gaming industry BitD was misconsidering the Amiga and not takincg advantage of the material they had under their hands.

Therefore I would better prefer continuing exploring the 'stock' hardware at disposal instead of taking the PC path which consist of requiring more powerful hardware without thinking about a different coding approach. At the end we ate talking about a hobby
Old 07 May 2024, 08:42   #22
sokolovic

Since stock A500 is only 512Kb there is quite some games that recquires expanded Amiga to work.
I believe that SF2 on the Amiga only recquires 512Kb.
Could it have been better if they had targeted 1Mb machines like MK, Elfmania or Shadow Fighter ?
Probably but I don't know to what extent.

Last edited by sokolovic; 07 May 2024 at 09:57.
Old 07 May 2024, 08:58   #23
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
On stock Amiga, new games/projects like Hamulet, Grind, Outrun AGA, Metro siege, etc. are some of the best to prove how most (fortunately not all) of the gaming industry BitD was misconsidering the Amiga and not takincg advantage of the material they had under their hands.
You don't think that things like 30+ years of hindsight and experience in favour of modern coders, and deadlines, low budgets, inexperience, etc against the old ones might be crucial factors here?
Old 07 May 2024, 09:01   #24
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
BitD, as a teenager who had put a lot of his small pocket money in his Amiga, I have always regretted that game were not taking advantage of the extra material I bought. Nevertheless, I was even more disappointed that coders were not taking advantage of the 'stock', and amazing for its time, Amiga hardware specifications and that were already there !

Therefore I would better prefer continuing exploring the 'stock' hardware at disposal instead of taking the PC path which consist of requiring more powerful hardware without thinking about a different coding approach. At the end we ate talking about a hobby
The japanese were using excellent production tools to make their games. It's not only great and beautiful assets, they had great coders, and also great tools to produce the animations, datas, AI, etc.....

All those things were absent or very poor in the euro softwares.
Old 07 May 2024, 13:02   #25
oscar_ates

Honestly since I had played arcade SF2, SF2 on Amiga, shadow fighter, fighting spirit, etc. did not amuse me. There was something always missing. SSF2T on AGA was good in static graphics but terrible in animation and frame skipping. There was a game called Brutals Paws of Fury, this was somewhat entertaining.
Old 07 May 2024, 14:15   #26
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by albino View Post
It doesn't make any sense to me, if you compare shadow fighter to ssfighter 2 it have bigger sprite, more colors, plenty parallaxes....if freestyles coder had less skills why at least they didn't manages to improve the sprites or bobs size?
Don't understand above message.
You asked what would be the best SF2 port for OCS, and I gave you Shadow Fighter as an example where I think they put OCS to the limit... additionally I linked Mortal Kombat 2.

I highly doubt that port of SF2 on OCS could be done without many compromises.

There is actually Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers port for OCS, that does amazing job, if you ignore, not so good graphics conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar_ates View Post
There was a game called Brutals Paws of Fury, this was somewhat entertaining.
Yup.
I love Brutals Paws of Fury
Old 07 May 2024, 15:37   #27
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Don't understand above message.
You asked what would be the best SF2 port for OCS, and I gave you Shadow Fighter as an example where I think they put OCS to the limit... additionally I linked Mortal Kombat 2.

I highly doubt that port of SF2 on OCS could be done without many compromises.
As I've said above, SF2 OCS is a 512Kb game. For a game like that they should have at least targeted 1Mb minimum Amigas like every others VS fighters we had. In early 1993, 1Mb minimum games were becoming the norm on the Amiga
Old 07 May 2024, 16:15   #28
Rob68K

I'm confused. Has there been a SFII conversion to the Amiga or not?
Old 07 May 2024, 16:30   #29
kriz

Only the originals back in the days
Old 07 May 2024, 18:07   #30
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Apparently they used Richard Alphin graphics ripper for the PC and Amiga versions. You have to wonder if it was just some reworked Final Fight code
Old 07 May 2024, 18:41   #31
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
The japanese were using excellent production tools to make their games. It's not only great and beautiful assets, they had great coders, and also great tools to produce the animations, datas, AI, etc.....
Hey, i would keep a Deluxe Paint 4 ten thousand times compared to the joystick driven tool that SEGA used!
Then some other tools like Debabelizer came later...
Old 07 May 2024, 19:37   #32
sokolovic

Around 20 people working on SNES SF2 or Megadrive version.
Probably 3 people on the Amiga/Atari ST one.
Don't look further.
Old 07 May 2024, 20:45   #33
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Don't look further.
Your numbers (for the amiga version) MIGHT be optimistically too high :P
Old 07 May 2024, 21:29   #34
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

@sokolovic : my 'stock' A2000 was 1MB but you are right for A500.

@dreadnought: I mostly believe the PC had the "chance" to have a different CPU/architecture than the ST and thus it forced coders to better look at the hardware instead of copy-pasting an existing code as many did to reduce production costs. They should have looked at the Amiga as a computer by itself to target the market.
But we are not going to rewrite the history...
Old 07 May 2024, 22:36   #35
Megalomaniac

I'm fairly sure Amiga SFII did need one megabyte (512 Chip + 512 other - same as Shadow Fighter / Elfmania / both MKs / Fighting Spirit AFAIK). I've always perceived it to have been an incredibly late ST port, the main coder was primarily an ST guy (sadly, giving such a big project to an inexperienced coder with little support and a tight deadline was all too common for Amiga coin-op conversions). However, Amiga Power's review specifically mentions 32 colour graphics, and I think the Amiga version came out before the ST one, so it may not have purely been a straight port.
Old 08 May 2024, 00:29   #36
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
I'm fairly sure Amiga SFII did need one megabyte (512 Chip + 512 other - same as Shadow Fighter / Elfmania / both MKs / Fighting Spirit AFAIK). I've always perceived it to have been an incredibly late ST port, the main coder was primarily an ST guy (sadly, giving such a big project to an inexperienced coder with little support and a tight deadline was all too common for Amiga coin-op conversions). However, Amiga Power's review specifically mentions 32 colour graphics, and I think the Amiga version came out before the ST one, so it may not have purely been a straight port.
According to the manual it is a 512kb game. They dont even mention the possibility of having more ram.
Old 08 May 2024, 02:07   #37
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Your numbers (for the amiga version) MIGHT be optimistically too high :P
40 people worked on the arcade version, paid for each month between 7000 and 10000 euros during 24 months.
Old 08 May 2024, 02:08   #38
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Hey, i would keep a Deluxe Paint 4 ten thousand times compared to the joystick driven tool that SEGA used!
Then some other tools like Debabelizer came later...
It was incredibly better to draw sprites, position them and animate them than any other tools around.
Old 08 May 2024, 10:30   #39
Megalomaniac

Quote:
According to the manual it is a 512kb game. They dont even mention the possibility of having more ram.
Manuals are printed before games are completed though, it wasn't unknown for the system requirements to increase at the last minute. Multiple reviews said it was 1 Meg only, and I've a feeling I've read that the ST version was 1 Meg only, in which case the Amiga one is bound to be, especially if 32 colours rather than 16.

In fact - https://www.mobygames.com/game/6239/...6/cover-55803/
Old 08 May 2024, 11:03   #40
masteries

Quote:
Don't look further.

Probably only one person worked on it,

like Final Fight version for Amiga and ST,
that was programmed by a single guy,

in a tight deadline