English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 27 March 2002, 19:25   #21
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Big grin

If I was stranded on a desert island with one game (apart from SWOS) it would have to be the game Robinsons Requiem. In the game you are lost on a strange island and you have to use your wits and survival skills to stay alive. Hopefully I'd learn a thing or two from it and be able to live for more than a day. Maybe I'd be able to build a raft and escape back to civilization! All thanks to a video game.
Old 27 March 2002, 19:39   #22
Drake1009

I never got the Amiga version working of that. And the PC version I have is in german, and the downloadable versions lack speech.
Old 27 March 2002, 19:57   #23
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

I'd take Pirates! It will probably take me 5 years to get from 99 to 100 with the highest ranking. No matter how many savegames I made I could never get to the highest ranking!!
Old 27 March 2002, 20:15   #24
Bloodwych

Just to be different (because Frontier is such a good choice):

Has to be F1GP!!!

Or perhaps Populous 2 with its 1000 levels. Hmmmmmm.

Old 27 March 2002, 22:40   #25
Djay
95th User

ermmm, could i take something like Amos/Blitzbasic/Devpac/C++, this way i could make any game i like and i'd probably get a good job when i'm rescued!!!

if so, i'll cancel my original choice, Frontier - Elite 2, because it would take me 5 years to make my own version
Old 27 March 2002, 22:43   #26
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay
...because it would take me 5 years to make my own version
Hey, that´s pretty fast
Old 27 March 2002, 23:59   #27
Drake1009

It's not that fast if he's got nothing to do with his time other than program. That is of course if he knows how to program and what to do. I found lately that getting the graphics to match up with the game mechanics is actually fairly tricky when it has to be done with math. And frontier uses maths for graphics.

And I wouldn't chose populus if I had to go for sheer level numbers. How about Gauntlet or Sentinel? Those have quite a lot of levels as well, as far as I recall Gauntlet will randomly generate as it goes on. Which was alos a reason I chose the two I had mentioned. Lotus 3 has that string of letters to input while Jaguar has a track design kit.
Old 28 March 2002, 00:23   #28
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Hey, that´s pretty fast
true, took David Braben 5 years

i was involved in a flashback clone with never passed beta stage with took 6 months
there was only 4 guys working on the project...

i did main code, other guy did a bit of code, but mainly gfx, one only did gfx and one did sound recording and sfx/music...

we ended up with a fairly good product, the game engine was complete, the animation (hand-drawn not rotoscoped) was in place, main title music and most of the spot sfx was done.

the only thing really left to do was level design, level objectives and some of the main code...

but we (as a group) went our seperate ways, two guys went to uni, i got a job and the other got a job.

i did keep a copy of the disk with all the work on, i don't think the other guys did........ however it got sold with my original A1200....OUCH!!!!!!!!!

Old 28 March 2002, 22:50   #29
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by Walker
I would take "Gazza's Super Soccer". It's so bleeding boring I would stop playing after 5 minutes and do something useful instead. Build a hut, catch some fish and find a volleyball to talk to.

Retroman and my old freind from the Emulation Talk Bored, CPC464 are right on with Pirates. I still play the NES version! So I would take it as a second resort. Civilization and Colinization are awesome as well.
Sid Maier could make a great game using shells and rocks if he were on an island

On another note , I'd take 4 other things:

1. My entire Liberace collection
2. Life size Liberace blow up doll.......ummmm forget I mentioned this.
3. A whole pallet of Fruit Roll ups (Not that crappy "Fruit by the Foot" shite.
4. A dartboard and darts, the dartboard face decorated with Twist's pic

Thats a sad story DJay Damn, imagine if It was still around, We all (Ok, those of us who had programming knowledge, which excludes me) could pool together to finish it. Awww.
Old 28 March 2002, 22:59   #30
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

The only things I agree with from Fred's post is: 1) the sad story part...yes, Deej...that one hurts! and 2) Fruit Roll-Ups over crappy Fruit By The Foot (man, that stuff is gross!)

I'd either have to take Vampire's Empire or CygnusEd (my original first choice, but I didn't post about it because someone might have thought of me as offbeat ).
Old 28 March 2002, 23:01   #31
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Thats a sad story DJay Damn, imagine if It was still around, We all (Ok, those of us who had programming knowledge, which excludes me) could pool together to finish it. Awww.
mmm, i did once try to get EAB members and other Amiga websites to produce a demo called "Out Of Focus"

http://www.amiga.ukhq.co.uk/out-of-focus.htm

but only a handful of people submitted pics, i still needed a musican, and i asked for people to send pics etc...

but not much happened.

ho hum!
Old 28 March 2002, 23:21   #32
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Fruit roll ups???? Fruit by the foot???? Is this an American thing?
Explain please I dont know what they are.
Old 28 March 2002, 23:30   #33
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay

mmm, i did once try to get EAB members and other Amiga websites to produce a demo called "Out Of Focus"

http://www.amiga.ukhq.co.uk/out-of-focus.htm

but only a handful of people submitted pics, i still needed a musican, and i asked for people to send pics etc...

but not much happened.

ho hum!
lol !
this pic is out-dated djay, if the project start again one day, ask me for one better gfx (like for the TShirt)
Old 28 March 2002, 23:46   #34
Djay
95th User

Quote:
i think they are like our Kelloggs Fruit wraps, blackcurrent wins everytime!!!

Quote:
this pic is out-dated djay, if the project start again one day, ask me for one better gfx
i would like to start the project again, i always wanted to make a co-operative demo by Amiga sceners for future Amiga sceners.
Old 29 March 2002, 03:25   #35
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Dastardly
Explain please I dont know what they are.
Supposedly healthy sweets for kids either packed in their lunches or for afterschool snacks, they are made from dried fruit. Heavily advertised on kids TV.
Old 29 March 2002, 04:38   #36
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Off topic again guys?? tsk tsk.
How about Chessmaster 2000? Thats another good, endless possibility game to take
Old 29 March 2002, 05:55   #37
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
Off topic again guys?? tsk tsk.
How about Chessmaster 2000? Thats another good, endless possibility game to take
and the other fun thing with the Chessmaster series is that when you get tired of playing against the computer, you can configure it to play with itself
Old 29 March 2002, 08:18   #38
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I can imagine if one is alone on a desert island, there will be a lot of playing with oneself...
Old 29 March 2002, 08:52   #39
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
I can imagine if one is alone on a desert island, there will be a lot of playing with oneself...
I guess nobody else wanted to touch that one :hooooo

Say, your new avatar, is that the Cro-Magnon kid from the Land of the Lost TV series???
Old 29 March 2002, 10:31   #40
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by jmmijo
I guess nobody else wanted to touch that one :hooooo
I'm a pig...
Quote:
Originally posted by jmmijo
Say, your new avatar, is that the Cro-Magnon kid from the Land of the Lost TV series???
Yes, as a matter of fact. A natural progression from Bobby Brady to Chaka...making me somewhat of an evolutionary revolutionary.