English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 July 2020, 10:16   #21
Mathesar

The electrical properties of this PSU are probably just fine.
Although you can discuss whether it solves a "real" problem.

But I agree, it does look ugly. A C64 cartridge housing might be cheap, it also looks very cheap. The greyish smartphone pictures don't help either.
Old 06 July 2020, 21:45   #22
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post

But I agree, it does look ugly. A C64 cartridge housing might be cheap, it also looks very cheap. The greyish smartphone pictures don't help either.
Ok it won't win the Apple Design award, but you could say he is cutting corners in the true spirit of Commodore. They would always reuse whatever crap they had on their shelves rather than doing something new (thats why cd32 PSU says "C65") . iComp is using the same case for the C64 cartridge cases, Nordic Replay cart, Turbo Chameleon and now the PSU.
While not stylish, it does the job. We've learned now that custom injection molding isn't a cheap business and nearly impossible in low volumes. he could have probably bought some plastic boxes from Ali Express at $5 a piece but that would be an extra cost and it would still need customization on each case which would make the price go up again.. So.. it was the most cost effective solution for Jens, I'm pretty sure of that.
Old 06 July 2020, 22:00   #23
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post

Interesting point about if this answers a question nobody asked, but I think the design is pretty spot-on IMHO.
Old 06 July 2020, 22:06   #24
d4rk3lf

So, when we are announcing contest: Miss of the PSU's?
Old 07 July 2020, 00:40   #25
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
So, when we are announcing contest: Miss of the PSU's?
The C65 PSU was so sexy even Atari used the same design ;-)

http://www.exretro.com/galleries/com..._3_PSUs_01.jpg

http://www.exretro.com/galleries/com..._3_PSUs_02.jpg
Old 07 July 2020, 13:20   #26
rabidgerry

I am in the market for a new power supply and naturally I looked at the new ones from individual. I remember speaking with Jens about in an email and he basically told me no other power supplies have what is needed for Amigas, and that was the "cable drop" compensation. Now I was holding off for his PSU solution but I can't say I'm really interested in this product and for me it does seem more expensive.

How I tend to look at this whole picture is, who has been using alternative power supplies? What are you using? And how long have you been using for? Have you had any issues? And I guess if there haven't been issues with your alternative Amiga PSU then perhaps safe to bet on that as an option may be? I don't know. But having looked into this topic recently I might be going down the meanwell route.

Or just buy one of those polish offerings of which plenty other people seem to have bought and without issue. Anyone here have one of those Polish PSUs that are all over ebay?
Old 07 July 2020, 13:46   #27
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Individual Computers
It is the first power supply on the market that fully complies with the original Commodore specifications
And we all know how many times Commodore fucked up. What makes the original Amiga PSUs so perfect that you shouldn't use any other PSU with the Amiga? This sounds like typical marketing speech to me.

I use an unofficial A-Power PSU, and what they did to assure the rails were within specs was to have a shorter output cable. Annoying, but it works. A non-icomp Amiga PSU that actually compensates for the voltage drop, how about that.
Old 07 July 2020, 14:04   #28
viddi

I'm also using the A-Power PSU.

I really don't get all this techy stuff.
So according to Icomp my PSU can damage the Amiga?

Really?!
Old 07 July 2020, 14:20   #29
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
And we all know how many times Commodore fucked up. What makes the original Amiga PSUs so perfect that you shouldn't use any other PSU with the Amiga? This sounds like typical marketing speech to me.

I use an unofficial A-Power PSU, and what they did to assure the rails were within specs was to have a shorter output cable. Annoying, but it works. A non-icomp Amiga PSU that actually compensates for the voltage drop, how about that.
LOL true. So this cable drop thing is eliminated by using a shorter cable then? Sounds like a good way around it. How long have you used this A-Power PSU? Would you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viddi View Post
I'm also using the A-Power PSU.

Really?!
And how long have you been using it? This is simply for my own personal knowledge so I can decide if I should get one myself Sounds like an option that I haven't heard of before.
Old 07 July 2020, 14:21   #30
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by viddi View Post

Really?!
I am no hardware guy, but as I see it, it's not only damaging stuff.
I use original PSU for my Amiga 500 and Aca500+, and it's working Ok, and all, but I am not sure if it's going to be enough, if I place some another card (020/030) on top of my Aca 500 +.

And, many of us use PSU's old 30 years, and that itself shouldn't be taken lightly.

So, replacing PSU that old, is definitely not bad idea, but I agree that this one is a little bit to expensive.
Old 07 July 2020, 14:33   #31
rabidgerry

Quote:
I am no hardware guy, but as I see it, it's not only damaging stuff.
Not sure I know what you mean? Does this mean you agree that other replacement PSU's are damaging Amigas?

Just asking

Viddi has a new modern PSU A-Power, not an old original commodore PSU.
Old 07 July 2020, 14:36   #32
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
You’re an expert in power supply design, are you?
You hardly need to be an expert to tell that this isn't a quality product. Look at it.
Old 07 July 2020, 14:41   #33
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
And how long have you been using it? This is simply for my own personal knowledge so I can decide if I should get one myself Sounds like an option that I haven't heard of before.
Using it since ten days.
Replaced the old C= PSU due to interference problems after recapping.
Plus there´s a lot of stuff connected to my A1200 (Vampire, CD-ROM, second disk drive...)

I´d say it´s a fantastic replacement PSU and I don´t believe this C= specs stuff Jens is talking about...or better said that it´s important.

But please correct me, if I´m wrong.

Last edited by viddi; 07 July 2020 at 14:46.
Old 07 July 2020, 14:42   #34
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Not sure I know what you mean? Does this mean you agree that other replacement PSU's are damaging Amigas?

Just asking

Viddi has a new modern PSU A-Power, not an old original commodore PSU.
No no.. I don't agree to that.
I don't know about other PSU's, neighter of this new one.

I was just talking about old ones, like the one I have.
Old 07 July 2020, 14:44   #35
rabidgerry

Quote:
No no.. I don't agree to that.
I don't know about other PSU's, neighter of this new one.

I was just talking about old ones, like the one I have.

Thought so

Check out this one? The features are a little crazy sounding to me

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amiga-DUO...wAAOSw2Vpeymqt
Old 07 July 2020, 15:04   #36
rabidgerry

Even more fancy

https://www.c64psu.com/c64psu/70-489...c_c5-no_thanks

Has anyone ever got a PSU from this guy? Claims "Quality approved by thousands of Amiga users worldwide!"
Old 07 July 2020, 23:55   #37
aeberbach

Looks ridiculous rabidgerry!

THREE power switches.

65W is a good capacity but not split over two Amigas. Says 5V @4A per channel - no better than the Mean Well RPT-60B.

Adjustable voltage from the exterior? If your supply requires frequent output adjustment then your circuit has problems. If you believe that every user will have an accurate multimeter and can be trusted to make that adjustment your problems are even bigger.

Chances are it's some module (or two of them) from Mean Well in there anyway.
Old 08 July 2020, 00:13   #38
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
Looks ridiculous rabidgerry!

THREE power switches.

65W is a good capacity but not split over two Amigas. Says 5V @4A per channel - no better than the Mean Well RPT-60B.

Adjustable voltage from the exterior? If your supply requires frequent output adjustment then your circuit has problems. If you believe that every user will have an accurate multimeter and can be trusted to make that adjustment your problems are even bigger.

Chances are it's some module (or two of them) from Mean Well in there anyway.

Don't tell me I didn't invent it. Who said it was better than a meanwell RPT-60B?

I'm more interested in knowing if it worth buying the bog standard one which has a meanwell RPT-60B in it as the guy clearly states on the spec.

I will say that the guy has obviously put those options in for a reason. May be ask him? I don't want to run multiple Amigas of one power supply (which I think would be a good thing had you got two of them) so I don't really care.
Old 08 July 2020, 10:45   #39
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
You hardly need to be an expert to tell that this isn't a quality product. Look at it.
Basing your ‘review’ of a product that’s not been released on how it looks. Nice one. I’m glad we don’t have to rely on your detailed analysis for all new Amiga products.
Old 13 July 2020, 14:18   #40
Akiko

The way I look at it is you can be fairly confident Jens will stand over the warranty period and he won't try to fob you off if something goes wrong with it after several months, whereas if I buy from eBay, even Amigakit, or Amigastore, from personal experience I have no confidence that these vendors would do the same, especially if it's a solution purchased from eBay. I recently bought a popular uprated power supply from Amibay which as I mentioned before is incompatible with my Elsat Pro module making it go haywire. I reverted back to an A500 power supply that works but being 30+ years old it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence, and even less so if I later add a TF360 to my setup. I will go with Jen's product over the Polish offering simply knowing that it is more likely to be agreeable with my hardware, also the warranty situation is a bonus, and the built-in protections even if some here seem to be saying it only theoretically minimizes the chance of damage, to me anything that even slightly reduces the chances of a mishap on aging and hard to replace hardware is a good thing in my book.