English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 17 February 2011, 22:57   #21
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ber7 View Post
8. miami 3.2b
it can find the 3c589.device and query it succesfully.
If you click on Query Device, does the MAC address change to something meaningful (i.e. not 00:00:00:00:00:00 or ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff) ?
Old 17 February 2011, 23:19   #22
r0ber7
it's all in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
If you click on Query Device, does the MAC address change to something meaningful (i.e. not 00:00:00:00:00:00 or ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff) ?
Yes.
Old 18 February 2011, 00:47   #23
r0ber7
it's all in your head

configured both laptop and amiga according to what you said, but neither of them can ping the other one. maybe something on the amiga is interfering. pcmcia slot works fine with my cd reader though. to be honest i have no clue anymore, i can't think of anything else i can try.
Old 18 February 2011, 01:07   #24
amigakit.com

Installing lots of TCP/IP stacks on your Amiga is not a good idea unless you un-install the software cleanly.

If you are using an EasyNet network card, install EasyNet - do not start using AmiTCP scripts which will conflict with EasyNet.

EasyNet generates all the scripts to Go Online / Offline as it needs them. It also has a Network Diagnostic section in the Help menu.

Reading the printed EasyNet manual is a good start as it has example pictures.
Old 18 February 2011, 09:54   #25
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
Installing lots of TCP/IP stacks on your Amiga is not a good idea unless you un-install the software cleanly.

If you are using an EasyNet network card, install EasyNet - do not start using AmiTCP scripts which will conflict with EasyNet.

EasyNet generates all the scripts to Go Online / Offline as it needs them. It also has a Network Diagnostic section in the Help menu.

Reading the printed EasyNet manual is a good start as it has example pictures.
The EasyNet software is superb. It installed with ease, and within a few minutes I had my Amiga online and also networked to my Mac Mini.
Old 18 February 2011, 11:57   #26
r0ber7
it's all in your head

That's nice, but it wouldn't work for me. I installed according to instructions from the received manual, and when I click "online" it tells me it's online but I can't ping the router. Help menu diagnostics wouldn't work, because it said it couldn't find the necessary files.

Removing all other stacks and re-installing Easynet now, although I doubt it'll make a difference.
Old 18 February 2011, 12:16   #27
amigakit.com

If you goto Help Menu and then click on Configuration Settings a text file will be created in RAM:T/ called EasyNet.Settings

Open that file in Multiview - also post the output here.

Does your router allow static connections? What is the IP address range of the router?
Old 18 February 2011, 13:11   #28
r0ber7
it's all in your head

the router supports static connections, i changed its dhcp range to 192.168.2.10 - 192.168.2.20 so the amiga's ip (192.168.2.202) wouldn't interfere for sure.

here's everything i've done, so you can check:

1. removed all miami & amitcp directories, and their s:user-startup assigns. left cardreset & patch & 3c589 installed
2. re-installed easynet from cd (pcmcia, asimcdfs), configured (see easynet.settings below)
3. reboot, insert ethernet card into pcmcia slot
- ethernet card led goes on&off during boot (cardreset i suppose)
4. start up easynet
- click "Online":
ethernet card led blinks again
link/act led on lan router port goes on
easynet tells me "Going Online" for about a minute
after that, the output in debug window:
HOSTNAME:
amiga
AMITCP port found
add host amiga: gateway localhost
add net default: gateway 192.168.2.1
bsdsocket.library 3.28
tells me "Accessing Live Update Server" for about a minute
tells me "Time Online:" and starts counting

5. in cli -> ping 192.168.2.1 gives 100% packet loss
ping 192.168.2.202 replies
ping 127.0.0.1 replies

6. easynet
- help -> configuration help: cannot open ram:t/easynet.settings
- help -> using easynet: cannot open amitcp/easynet.guide
- help -> easynet log: cannot open ram:t/easynet.log
7. in cli -> ram:t -> more easynet.settings
tells me everything i've just entered into the config GUI:

Code:
Version = Easynet 0.172 (12/04/09) AmigaKit.com Leaman Computing Ltd
File Size = 377972 bytes
bsdsocket.library = 3.28

Your IP address = 192.168.2.202
Network Mask = 255.255.255.0
Router/Gateway IP = 192.168.2.1
Your hostname = amiga
Network domainname = home

Primary DNS = 192.168.2.1 (in use)

Device = 3c589.device (unknown version installed)
Unit Number = 0
Library = pccard.library (unknown version installed)

MBUF_CONF MAXMEM = 256K
Use Loopback = Yes
Debug SANA = No
Gateway Mode = No

192.168.2.1 gateway
192.168.2.202 amiga
192.168.2.100 laptop

Assign AmiTCP: "Games:AmiTCP"

ifconfig EASYNET01 tells me:
EASYNET01: flags=863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING>
inet 192.168.2.202 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255
Old 18 February 2011, 13:34   #29
thomas

Quote:
5. in cli -> ping 192.168.2.1 gives 100% packet loss
Does Link/Act LED blink when a packet is transmitted?
Old 18 February 2011, 13:37   #30
amigakit.com

The network configuration looks fine. You can query the network card so that is fine. The Amiga thinks it is online and the BSDsocketlibrary is running, so TCP/IP is active. So it must be another factor.

I would check if the PCMCIA CD driver is conflicting. Also change the CAT5 cable and try a cross-over cable with another computer directly. Does your router support 10Mbps connections?
Old 18 February 2011, 13:59   #31
r0ber7
it's all in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Does Link/Act LED blink when a packet is transmitted?
Actually, now I've re-installed Easynet & removed all other stacks, the led blinks every 3 seconds or so, whether I ping or not. 10M/100M is off, so that means there's a 10M connection right.

Quote:
I would check if the PCMCIA CD driver is conflicting. Also change the CAT5 cable and try a cross-over cable with another computer directly. Does your router support 10Mbps connections?
The router supports 10M, at least, next to link/act it reads "10M/100M".
I removed the AsimCDFS & SquirrelSCSI assigns in user-startup and backed up & removed AsimCDFS dir. No luck. Anything I've forgotten? How do I check if the driver is conflicting?

I tried a crossover cable yesterday, but I could try it again now that I've only installed Easynet.

I'm thinking about re-installing workbench, so as to wipe out any possible problems with interference from stuff I've installed. But it'd be my last option. Any other ways to check would be better (less of a hassle :P).

Last edited by r0ber7; 18 February 2011 at 14:14.
Old 18 February 2011, 14:41   #32
thomas

Quote:
the led blinks every 3 seconds or so, whether I ping or not.
This information is useless. It's probably Windows trying to query shared drives on the network.

The LED is there for diagnostic purpose. Therefore it is important to watch if it acts according to the activity on the line. If you try to send ping packets to the router, the router's lamp should blink at the same clock pulse as the ping command prints "ping returns: wrote router 64 chars, ret=-1" messages to the screen. Even if the command does not print anything, you should know from your earlier attempts that it sends a packet ca. every second. So the router's LED should blink once every second while the ping command is running.

If the router's LED does not respond to the ping packets, this means that packets do not leave the Amiga's NIC. Perhaps the cable is not connected properly or is defective.

If the router's LED does blink in response to the ping packets, then the packets left the Amiga and arrived at the router, but were not answered. In this case we need to find out why the packets are not sent back to the Amiga or do not reach the Amiga.

It may also be that you need to configure the NIC driver to use halfduplex or fullduplex depending on what is default. Check the driver's instructions.
Old 18 February 2011, 16:00   #33
r0ber7
it's all in your head

Sorry, I'm not always sure which information is useful or useless. I try to supply anything I suspect might possibly be useful. I've set up networks before, but it's been a while. ;-)

In that case, the LED doesn't respond to the ping packets. I've tried several cables between the amiga's ethernet card and the router, all of which function properly when I connect the laptop to the router with them. Is there a difference between 10M and 100M cables? They're all standard CAT-5 UTP as far as I know. I can't find anything about halfduplex or fullduplex in the driver's manual.

Last edited by r0ber7; 18 February 2011 at 16:05.
Old 18 February 2011, 18:01   #34
r0ber7
it's all in your head

Re-installed a clean workbench. Installed PowerPC 060 drivers from floppy. Installed NETPCM003 drivers from floppy. Installed Easynet from a copy of the CD I put on harddisk + an assign Easynet: "Games:diskbackups/easynet" in user-startup. Installs fine.

Haven't used anything on the PCMCIA slot except the card, so there can be no conflicts, I think. Easynet gives the exact same results as before.

I'm taking a break.
Old 02 June 2011, 14:54   #35
NovaCoder

Hiya,

I'm having similar kinds of issues.

What does ClassicWB come installed with by default, I think I saw Miami mentioned before?

I've got the LAN card shown in the picture which came with a floppy and cdrom. The floppy contains the device driver.

I tried installing the device driver and then installing EasyNet but EasyNet came up with a 'unknown device driver' error message during the install and it was all downhill from there.

Anyone know the easiest way of getting my Miggy on the network using ClassicWB and these bits?

Last edited by NovaCoder; 14 December 2021 at 00:15.
Old 02 June 2011, 16:11   #36
amigakit.com

What device do you have set in the Interface Settings of EasyNet
Old 03 June 2011, 01:53   #37
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
What device do you have set in the Interface Settings of EasyNet
Hiya,

I'll have to check when I get home tonight, I assume it should be the device off the floppy....correct?

Any idea why the EasyNet setup wouldn't recognize the device and gave me that 'unknow device version' error message?

And finally, I assume I'm doing it the right thing by installing the device from the floppy and then running the EasyNet install? Does the EasyNet CD come with it's own device drivers which I should be using instead?

Finally, I take it that I won't get any kind of conficts from installing EasyNet over the top of a ClassicWB 3.9 install?

Old 03 June 2011, 11:00   #38
amigakit.com

Hello,

The disk pictured is not one of ours- you should have a NETPCM003 labeled disk from us for the SANA2 Network driver.

Run the installer on NETPCM003 disk which copies the SANA2 network driver to DEVS:Networks drawer on your System partition.

Ensure no other TCP/IP stacks are installed, then run EasyNet, goto Interface Settings and select 3c589.device, save the settings.

Review your Network IP addresses etc and then click the Online button
Old 03 June 2011, 15:10   #39
NovaCoder

Ok thanks, I'll give that a go

UPDATE: I've now got it all working fine, just had to fix up some of my network settings.

I've also found out that ClassicWB offers Miami as an user install package (no stack installed by default).

Last edited by NovaCoder; 08 June 2011 at 01:51. Reason: To update it...
Old 26 March 2014, 21:38   #40
Amigrey

Hey ya r0ber7 did you manage to fix this issue in the end? Im having the same problems I can't ping other computers, very frustrating

ping amiga from PC & PC from amiga fails

thanks,
Amigrey