English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 February 2023, 09:59   #361
A500

The game looks and feels amazing on my CRT & A1200. Thank you once more!
Old 19 February 2023, 23:29   #362
vroom6sri

Thanks to the save game feature I completed it on hard difficulty with all the secrets and unlocking the prize. Absolutely great fun and an amazing looking and sounding game. It’s gotta be the ultimate version now.

Or is it, Muzza? Have you got any other enchantments/versions planned? Is it possible to improve this masterpiece further?
Old 19 February 2023, 23:32   #363
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom6sri View Post
Thanks to the save game feature I completed it on hard difficulty with all the secrets and unlocking the prize. Absolutely great fun and an amazing looking and sounding game. It’s gotta be the ultimate version now.

Or is it, Muzza? Have you got any other enchantments/versions planned? Is it possible to improve this masterpiece further?
We have turrican 3 amiga source code handy. I wonder if we could have Turrican 3 megadrive running on A1200 in 64 colors
Old 20 February 2023, 09:22   #364
vulture

Well, our T3 is not all that inferior to the Mega Drive's, especially if you consider it requires only 512k and it was essentialy an one-man project.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind an AGA version or an improved 1mb OCS one.
Old 20 February 2023, 09:36   #365
Muzza

Thanks for the positive comments, they mean a lot for a project like this. I don't plan on further updates, unless a serious bug shows up. I'm not sure people have really tried the new game modes as it is.

There were intriguing ideas about possible follow up projects, including the fact that T3 had a partially complete PC version - something that would be much more interesting to convert than the MegaDrive version. The increased used of parallax in T3 is a limitation for any Amiga conversion (as it was for OCS T3), but I expect the rest of it could be converted fairly faithfully to AGA.

As of right now though, the massive time investment for non-money-making ventures like converting Amiga games means I can't justify it any time soon. Maybe it will become a background project for me at some point (which is how T2 started!)
Old 20 February 2023, 10:01   #366
vulture

@Muzza

is there a place to check the pc version of T3? Didn't know it existed!
Old 20 February 2023, 10:27   #367
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
Well, our T3 is not all that inferior to the Mega Drive's, especially if you consider it requires only 512k and it was essentialy an one-man project.

Agree with that. Considering T3 runs on an unexpanded A500, an AGA version with more colors for both dualplayfied and sprites and the 2MB chipram could greatly enhance this game.
Old 20 February 2023, 10:41   #368
Gzegzolka

It would be awesome to have Turrican 3 AGA version next but not straight port, something like Turrican 2 AGA would be perfect. While T3 miss on Amiga some effects I think some that were put there was still cool like background with pipes changing colour in first levels. To build best version using both megadrive and amiga sources.
Old 20 February 2023, 11:11   #369
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:

Turrican 3 OCS already support 1 or 2mb of chip (use it) and check if you have a 68020 or above.

the OCS version is already the best possible..... the AGA version should be like the Megadrive one.
Old 20 February 2023, 11:21   #370
AmyMor

I try ... but a HURRICANE conversion on the T2AGA engine?!?!?!?
Old 20 February 2023, 11:28   #371
sokolovic

It would be interesting to list some games that could use this Engine... Maybe a Contra /Megaman type of game ? Or a Castlevania / Metroidvania one ?
Old 20 February 2023, 11:36   #372
vulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Turrican 3 OCS already support 1 or 2mb of chip (use it) and check if you have a 68020 or above.

the OCS version is already the best possible..... the AGA version should be like the Megadrive one.

In what capacity is it using it tho? Does it have extra gfx/sound or does it just preload more stuff to minimize disk swapping?
Old 20 February 2023, 11:56   #373
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
In what capacity is it using it tho? Does it have extra gfx/sound or does it just preload more stuff to minimize disk swapping?
Extra sound and minimize disk swapping, more sprites displayed.
Old 20 February 2023, 11:57   #374
sokolovic

Quote:
Yeah I dont't think there is any gfx improvements. Just more sfx and better memory management.
Aldo I don't think that having a 68020 over a 68000 serve at all in this game
Old 20 February 2023, 12:02   #375
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
Thanks for the positive comments, they mean a lot for a project like this. I don't plan on further updates, unless a serious bug shows up. I'm not sure people have really tried the new game modes as it is.

There were intriguing ideas about possible follow up projects, including the fact that T3 had a partially complete PC version - something that would be much more interesting to convert than the MegaDrive version. The increased used of parallax in T3 is a limitation for any Amiga conversion (as it was for OCS T3), but I expect the rest of it could be converted fairly faithfully to AGA.

As of right now though, the massive time investment for non-money-making ventures like converting Amiga games means I can't justify it any time soon. Maybe it will become a background project for me at some point (which is how T2 started!)
Muzza, if you need to get paid to make it, most of us will happy pay considering the work you did on T2 AGA.

Simply tell us what you want/need
Old 20 February 2023, 12:26   #376
vulture

Quote:

More sprites displayed due to extra RAM?
Is there an article about it? Not disputing you, but as it's the first time I've heard of this (nothing about it in the programmer's diary of development iirc), I'd just be genuienely interested to read about it, thx.

Last edited by vulture; 20 February 2023 at 14:28.
Old 20 February 2023, 12:51   #377
sokolovic

Quote:
Muzza, if you need to get paid to make it, most of us will happy pay considering the work you did on T2 AGA.

Simply tell us what you want/need

Definitively. Now that the engine is made and tested with a free release of a wonderful game, let's hope it will be used in a commercial game that can give Muzza some financial retribution.
An AGA sequel of Lionheart with this engine and Henk Nieborg at the gfx (since he's still working on retro projects why not ? ) would surely breaks a kickstarter project.

Maybe we'll need an executive producer to make this happens.
Old 20 February 2023, 13:59   #378
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Disk...swapping? For a 1 disk game?
Old 20 February 2023, 14:10   #379
vroom6sri

I might be wrong but I think the concept of the "engine" of this amazing Turrican 2 version is a misnomer as the levels are coded almost individually so it's not as simple as changing the assets and maps to get new versions of it. Of course I could be completely wrong though.
Old 20 February 2023, 14:13   #380
vulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Definitively. Now that the engine is made and tested with a free release of a wonderful game, let's hope it will be used in a commercial game that can give Muzza some financial retribution.
An AGA sequel of Lionheart with this engine and Henk Nieborg at the gfx (since he's still working on retro projects why not ? ) would surely breaks a kickstarter project.

Maybe we'll need an executive producer to make this happens.

I second that, I gladly bought Muzza's pc game to support him for T2 AGA and I would more than gladly pay full price for an original amiga project of his

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan View Post
Disk...swapping? For a 1 disk game?
Ha, good catch! Indeed it's a mere 1 disk game. Maybe it preloads stuff and needs less between-levels disk access tho.