English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga File Server

Old 22 February 2018, 17:51   #321
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post
While testing this, and it looks good, I'm questioning why you would need this. Its very simple to just download Retroplays full pack and extract it yourself..

Does anyone see a need for a .hdf file with all the WHDLoad games and demos ready to go on it? For emulation, sure, its convenient, but for your real Amiga, you have to remove the HD, put it in the PC, run WinUAE, mount it and the .hdf file with the WHDLoad pack on it and copy what you want across. In that case, you might just as well extract what you want from Retroplay directly instead.

Previously, you could copy the games over the network to the Amiga. At least, that is what I did.

So not sure what good this does really.
Exactly, I always wondered why there was this project also.

Just takes up extra space and it's very easy to extract Retroplay's packs in emulation or on a real Amiga
Old 22 February 2018, 17:54   #322
Amiga1992

Quote:
While testing this, and it looks good, I'm questioning why you would need this. Its very simple to just download Retroplays full pack and extract it yourself..
Well personally my main attraction to your pack is updates. Once I already have the stuff on my CF, your update tool takes care of updating what is needed precisely.

I don't want to copy the whole pack every single time there is an update, or go hunting for what has changed. This is what in the past has driven me off using the Retroplay pack and/or updating it. I just couldn't care, I'm lazy (or rather, I don't want to do all that work every time, it takes forever).

So yeah for the first time, it is the same, but on subsequent updates, it isn't.

Quote:
Does anyone see a need for a .hdf file with all the WHDLoad games and demos ready to go on it? For emulation, sure, its convenient, but for your real Amiga, you have to remove the HD, put it in the PC, run WinUAE, mount it and the .hdf file with the WHDLoad pack on it and copy what you want across. In that case, you might just as well extract what you want from Retroplay directly instead.
You can just maybe use the HDF to image directly onto a card. As long as the HDF matches the card size, it would be good to have.
Old 22 February 2018, 22:09   #323
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Well personally my main attraction to your pack is updates. Once I already have the stuff on my CF, your update tool takes care of updating what is needed precisely.
Gotcha. That was my main reason for doing this as well. Having physical access to the FTP puts me in a rather unique perspective in that I can run scripts to find out just what has been updated since my last package.

However, if we go this route, how would you propose updates be made? A full new .hdf with everything or just the updates from last time?

And while I'm at it, is there a way to mount a .hdf file for direct access in Windows? That would at least allow transfers over the network more easily.

Edit: Or, if Retroplay says OK to it, I can change the date on the files to correspond to the last modified time of the Readme in each package. That is how I find new updates to games with my scripts today and has worked fine so far. If I modify the dates on all games using that, it would be easier for users to find what is new since their last check.

Last edited by Turran; 22 February 2018 at 22:20.
Old 22 February 2018, 22:40   #324
Amiga1992

Yeah it's a hard question, I don't know. HDF does indeed seem impractical. However, and this again is just MY personal view, if there were issues with files, I never cared, I just can't possibly play all of those games. I haven't tested each and every one of them!

So if there are a few with issues, I don't mind. I always extracted them all to my real CF under WinUAE and never had issues.
Old 23 February 2018, 11:23   #325
Turran

Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat. I don't really care if a few games does not work. At the same time, I do not want to create a pack for others where a few games does not work.

Also, getting the list of "These games should also be moved" just AFTER I released a new update is a bit disheartening.

We'll see what I can come up with. Perhaps I can make a little program that downloads the full pack the first time and allows you to check for updates to your downloaded pack whenever you want.
Old 23 February 2018, 23:44   #326
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Such a program already exists, it's called Clrmame Pro.
Seriously, use the dats I provide to check for new and obsolete files.
Old 23 February 2018, 23:47   #327
Amiga1992

I hate CLRMame Pro, it's such an inconvenient program.
Turran's program is easy and to the point, and custom-made for this task.

It's still a pain in the ass to have to redo everything by hand after checking what I have to redo. I guess this is the main reason why I download a pack and then never bother updating ever again unless something happens (like a card upgrade or a crash).

I have to go through all this again now, because a PFS3 bug took my hard drive away with it, for example.
Old 24 February 2018, 00:14   #328
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Well use RomVault then, but you're making it harder than it really is.

The only thing you have to do by hand is download the updated files and let Clrmame or RomVault rebuild the missing files to your WHDLoad directories, couldn't be easier if you ask me.
Old 24 February 2018, 00:20   #329
Amiga1992

Hey this is not your fault or anyone, you didn't make those dreary, nerdy, UI-void tools like CLRMame Pro or RomVault.

My point is I like Turran's "update packs" more than merging new files into the same directories and having to download it all every time and then working with that to figure out exactly what has changed. I am trying to update a real Amiga CF full of the stuff, I need just the updated files, not the whole thing over (it takes a million years to copy stuff over to CFs), it's not convenient.

So maybe you too can switch to an "update pack" method? It would be the best for real Amiga users.

If you never copied all your collection to CF, you don't know the suffering you are missing :P
Old 24 February 2018, 00:45   #330
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
Such a program already exists, it's called Clrmame Pro.
Seriously, use the dats I provide to check for new and obsolete files.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
Well use RomVault then, but you're making it harder than it really is.
Ahem to that Retro

ClrMAME Pro is the definitive tool indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I hate CLRMame Pro, it's such an inconvenient program.
How else do you look after / manage sets without it; especially for MAME???

Yes, it takes a little to master but once you know how it operates.

...and it's so powerful you can use for all emulator, just need .DATs. Plus you can create .DATs from your original collection to share with others.
Old 24 February 2018, 15:44   #331
Stl75

Hello, Turran...

Put whdload pack as hardfile - is good...
But why is updated???
And grandis.nu - given downloading speed -
50 kB/sec...
Why is 9-10 Gb downloading - this such
speed???
Old 24 February 2018, 16:10   #332
DamienD
Banned

You need a proper account for better download speeds Stl75

There are restrictions though for new members, please read post #1 of this thread.

...you can also find alternatives in the above 1st post.
Old 24 February 2018, 18:18   #333
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
How else do you look after / manage sets without it; especially for MAME???
I'm not that much into any of that, to need it. I have used it, but not often, just when I have no choice (for example, finding the ROMs for a specific version of an emulator, say, for FBA on Wii).

I haven't had a complete MAME ROM set in ages. I don't care. I don't even have the computer to run it (and I don't use the computer for games). Whatever collection I do have i tend to try to manage by hand, unless it's impossible (MAME case is impossible).

Anyway, in this case, I do wan t to have the complete collection, but I usually trim it down to my needs afterwards, by hand. And then if I need an update, I want to see exactly what has been updated, so I replace just that, otherwise it becomes a nightmare. Having it all in just one zipfile isn't ideal except on your very first download. Again, this is for -real Amiga users-, WinUAE users can manage everything with CLRMame Pro or whatever.
Old 24 February 2018, 18:42   #334
DamienD
Banned

All your reasons are fair enough Akira.

...but, don't be complaining when you can't work out / see what's been changed via manual efforts.

There are simple tools for that and the "author of the hard work" i.e. Retroplay has provided these for you

If you choose to ignore the above, repeat it's too much effort / you're too lazy / whatever; well then... your problem.

Actually think about the amount of time the original person has put into bringing this to the community (understand / install, extract / package back up / upload) instead of complaining and following a few simple steps

No one says you need it all; it's about "what's changed" as you've said repeatedly; and ClrMAMEPro can give you that information.

How you use it is your choice (or failure)
Old 25 February 2018, 12:54   #335
Turran

Any program that I do not remember to use when I have not opened it in a month is shit in my view, so I'm with Akira on this one =) Of course, its more likely its my brain that is shit, but anyway, I will not put any fault or require that, for example, Retroplay changes his ways because I'm stupid.

Think I've learned how to use CLRMame 5 times now. Still as confused =)

Luckily, I solve my own problems by little programs =)
Try this little program and see what you think (attached). Put it in its own, otherwise empty, folder and just run it. Self explaining I hope.

(removed program. See first post)

Last edited by Turran; 27 February 2018 at 08:42.
Old 25 February 2018, 12:57   #336
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Actually Romvault/CLRmame dats sounds good idea to me.. I always end up downloading the lot again every year ;-)
Old 25 February 2018, 14:10   #337
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Think I've learned how to use CLRMame 5 times now. Still as confused =)
Once you use it say 10 times it gets easier

There are loads of good tutorials on the net; one for example:

http://www.mameworld.info/easyemu/cl...ame-guide.html
Old 25 February 2018, 14:45   #338
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Once you use it say 10 times it gets easier

There are loads of good tutorials on the net; one for example:

http://www.mameworld.info/easyemu/cl...ame-guide.html
Thanks Damien.. I was hoping soneone would be kind enough to point out a good tutorial.
Old 25 February 2018, 16:42   #339
Turran

Retired the WHDLoad packs from the FTP and updated the first post.
Old 26 February 2018, 07:49   #340
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

I made a quick Clrmame how-to video:
https://streamable.com/bk1vi