English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 April 2019, 22:23   #3181
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by drluking View Post
tested with ATX 550W psu and an AT 200W psu; with AT 200W I have about +4.98V on P9 AT connector of the mediator 4000D 3v and about +4.95V on 5V pin of the core logic oscillator of mediator pci/zorro card (while about +4.92V using the ATX 550 psu), when the ppc card is working (K1 or M1) ... but I have reset/guru testing voxelspace demo (after for exemple 15 minutes)

how to do this?

Will be possibile to use two PSU, or Is It dangerous for the A4000 ? the AT 200W psu connected only with P9 AT to the mediator 4000D 3v and the ATX 550W psu connected to the A4000 mainboard and hd/cdrom/floppy.
If It's possibile, I should first turn on the AT 200W (to power on the mediator) and then the ATX 550W to power on the A4000,
or they should be turned on at the same time ?
I'm not sure if it is possible, also because if I remember correctly, if only the P9 AT turns on, it also partially powers the Amiga 4000 ... (+ 5V, but not + 12V)

Looking back now, almost all the problems I had setting up a working system were down to bad power. The first thing is that modern PSUs have low currents on the 5V line. The AT PSU ought to be better. But more than that, I think there is bad power distribution around the Amiga system, so across the motherboard, across the daughterboard connectors, the PCI connectors, all of it added together. So even though volts are good in one place, they may not be somewhere else.

The 5V injector I made was just a piece of Vero strip with a Molex connector soldered to the correct connections and then inserted into a spare Zorro connector. For anyone reading this: YOU COULD DESTROY YOUR BELOVED AMIGA IF YOU DO THIS WRONG! But it sorted out the power problems I had, especially with the Rapture card, which is very choosy about power.

I don't think 2 PSUs is a good idea, but I'll let the experts answer that.
Old 01 May 2019, 00:47   #3182
drluking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
Looking back now, almost all the problems I had setting up a working system were down to bad power. The first thing is that modern PSUs have low currents on the 5V line. The AT PSU ought to be better. But more than that, I think there is bad power distribution around the Amiga system, so across the motherboard, across the daughterboard connectors, the PCI connectors, all of it added together. So even though volts are good in one place, they may not be somewhere else.
I am of the same opinion as you;.
It is the same conclusion that I arrived after many tests, verifications (the last tests that I have left are to test the workbench 3.1 and the libraries muilib, but I doubt that they will solve these type of problems of random reboot)

Quote:
The 5V injector I made was just a piece of Vero strip with a Molex connector soldered to the correct connections and then inserted into a spare Zorro connector. For anyone reading this: YOU COULD DESTROY YOUR BELOVED AMIGA IF YOU DO THIS WRONG! But it sorted out the power problems I had, especially with the Rapture card, which is very choosy about power.

excellent, could you tell me (publicly or privately if you prefer) all the necessary steps (pins to be welded, scheme ... etc ... and images); so I realize one and finally I will be able to use my ppc cards (publicly or privately if you prefer) all the necessary steps (pins to be welded, scheme ... etc ... and images); so that I can make one and finally I will be able to use my ppc cards

Quote:
I don't think 2 PSUs is a good idea, but I'll let the experts answer that.
I would also like to avoid the double power supply if possible.
The best solution would be yours (5V injector)

thanks
Old 01 May 2019, 04:13   #3183
grelbfarlk

Have you replaced or cleaned your A4000 motherboard power connector? Everything else aside, power supplies, the P9 connector, whatever, if that 5V pin is dirty inside then you will get system instability somewhere.
Old 02 May 2019, 08:47   #3184
spudje

In case anybody is still looking for some RAM for his Sonnet, I have some for sale up at Amibay: http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...-(New-unopened)
Old 02 May 2019, 22:57   #3185
Wrangler

@drluking

This is the kind of thing I made. I'm not going to give instructions because (with no disrepect to you or anyone else reading this) if you don't know how to make one of these, you shouldn't be using one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180403_185705.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	62967  
Old 03 May 2019, 00:30   #3186
Stedy

Hi,

I was discussing with grebfarlk a while ago about a plug in power injector card with PCI riser, with an onboard 3.3V supply and 5V distribution. It would cost around £40-£50 each in small batches. I put the design on hold as interest was too low to consider a small batch run. With more PPC cards in the wild now, would there be interest in a plug-in PCI riser card?
Old 03 May 2019, 04:04   #3187
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stedy View Post
Hi,

I was discussing with grebfarlk a while ago about a plug in power injector card with PCI riser, with an onboard 3.3V supply and 5V distribution. It would cost around £40-£50 each in small batches. I put the design on hold as interest was too low to consider a small batch run. With more PPC cards in the wild now, would there be interest in a plug-in PCI riser card?

And the idea is that it would have a drive type "molex" connector so rather than making your own 5V power injector into a Zorro slot, you could just plug this into a PCI slot, plug a drive power cable into it and then plug a maybe power hungry PCI card into this adapter.

If you have a 5V only mediator or a 3.3V Friendly Black Edition Mediator this might be useful for a couple reasons:
1) If you don't have a 3.3V VRM on your Mediator so unless you mod either your 3.3V only PCI card or your Mediator you can just use this and it'll shoot magical 3.3V into your 3.3V only card (and the busboard too?).

2) The 3.3 VRM on the Black Mediators is only good for 3A giving you about 10W 3.3V load total. This is fine for the K1 and a Voodoo. But guessing from how hot the VRM on a Black Mediator a K1 and 3.3V-only Radeon 9200 are together this could help (at the expense of additonal 5V {or 12v was that an option?} load which is also being "boosted" to the PCI bus by this adapter.
Old 03 May 2019, 23:20   #3188
drluking

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Have you replaced or cleaned your A4000 motherboard power connector? Everything else aside, power supplies, the P9 connector, whatever, if that 5V pin is dirty inside then you will get system instability somewhere.
everything is perfectly clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
@drluking

This is the kind of thing I made. I'm not going to give instructions because (with no disrepect to you or anyone else reading this) if you don't know how to make one of these, you shouldn't be using one.
a few days ago I made my own "injector" by connecting the +5V to pins 5 and 6 and the GND to pins 1 and 2 of the Zorro1 connector from the molex of the PSU AT 200W.
The result is that I went from + 4.97V/4.98V to + 4.99V/5.00V on the 5V pin of the Core Logic oscillator and on the pins 5 and 6 of the Zorro connectors, while on the P9 AT connector of the Mediator 4000D I have now + 5.02V.
I now have also +4.99V/5.00V on the 5V power supply connector on the A4000 mainboard.
Then using the 5V injector the voltage increase is 0.02V
However, I have not noticed a significant improvement in terms of stability or at least I am not sure of this.
What are the +5V values you have in your Mediator configurations ?

I connected the +5V of the injector to pins 5 and 6 of the Zorro connector, while you only connected pin 6 ?
I connected the injector GND to pins 1 and 2 of the Zorro connector, while you only connected pin 4 ?
I connected the injector 5V in the Zorro1 connector, while you in which Zorro connector ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
2) The 3.3 VRM on the Black Mediators is only good for 3A giving you about 10W 3.3V load total. This is fine for the K1 and a Voodoo. But guessing from how hot the VRM on a Black Mediator a K1 and 3.3V-only Radeon 9200 are together this could help (at the expense of additonal 5V {or 12v was that an option?} load which is also being "boosted" to the PCI bus by this adapter.
apparently the most stable system I' am currently having is the following:
PCI1 K1 ppc (interrupt1)
PCI2 Voodoo3 (interrupt2)
PCI3 free
PCI4 free
PCI5 free
Today I have run 32 times Sulaco demo ppc-warp3d and only twice a crash/reboot of the system, moreover Quake WOS is apparently working correctly from 04:00 hours without crash

Could it be that the K1 ppc card works better if it is in the PCI1 slot ?
Wanting to try adding the 10/100 (or 10) nic ethernet card, should I put it in the PCI3 or PCI4 slot? If I put it in the PCI5 slot it will take the interrupt1 in sharing with the K1 ppc, which it would be better to avoid from what I understood (in doing so I have already tried, and the system seems to be less stable ...)

I think It could be useful to have a PCI connector-adapter with + 3.3V power supply taken directly from the molex of ATX PSU for PCI PPC cards and a PCI connector-adapter with + 3.3V power supply taken directly from VRG 12V-->3.3V for AT PSU

Could you tell me please all the tooltypes settings you have in devs:monitors/Voodoo monitor icon ?

Sonnet library powerpc works correctly using Workbench 3.1 ?
I was thinking of trying to use a basic Workbench 3.1 system plus MMULib, what do you think ?

In AmigaOS3.9 I added stackattack2, but I didn't notice any differences, is it important to have it installed ? and in this case can I use it together with MMULib without problems ?

What are the real advantages of using MMULib libraries VS 68040.library (of OS3.9 or WB3.1) with WarpEngine040@40 + PPC K1? Would the PowerPC board or the 68040 board or both boards be more stable ? Could I have less crash / reboot and therefore more stability ?

Last edited by drluking; 03 May 2019 at 23:32.
Old 03 May 2019, 23:20   #3189
k0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULI View Post
I got info from my Friend from the USA- there is a hope to happy end.

Fingers crossed!
Old 04 May 2019, 00:40   #3190
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by drluking View Post

What are the +5V values you have in your Mediator configurations ?

What are the real advantages of using MMULib libraries VS 68040.library (of OS3.9 or WB3.1) with WarpEngine040@40 + PPC K1? Would the PowerPC board or the 68040 board or both boards be more stable ? Could I have less crash / reboot and therefore more stability ?

Again, some have perfectly stable systems at 4.80V, measuring from C188 on the A4000 motherboard, not easy to check there with a Towerized A4000. Other systems depending on where I measure anywhere from 4.75V to 4.98V.

You say it's perfectly clean inside of the 5V connector on the A4000 motherboard, like stripping down a Q-tip to the cardboard and stripping that until it can fit inside of the female connector and wetting it with alcohol and swipe around in that connector, if it comes out grey then it is not clean. But if you've done that and it comes out still perfectly white, ok it's clean.

One of the main things that the mmu.library does is let you mark the PCI space occupied by the PPC card as CacheInhibit. Which you can run the included MuScan program to see. Somewhere in the past two hundred pages of this thread you can see we were editing the MMU-Configuration file to mark the memory space of the PPC card as CacheInhibit, but I've noticed running MuScan that I think Hedeon changed how this memory is mapped in the library so that might not be needed any more. But without running Muscan how does one know?

And like I said already I think everyone who is using a PCI PPC card successfully is using the MMULib, though some may not use the 68040/060 libs included.

Other than that the MMULib doesn't really do much unless the 68040/68060 library has fixes that yours does not. Which I have been using the MMUlib so long I don't even know how the OS3.9 or OS3.1 68040 libraries act any more.
There are various utilities to map the Kickstart into FastRAM, which the WarpEngine has it's own utility for. As well as other MMU-hack replacements.

On my 5V-only 5 slot Mediator I used the K1 in the PCI slot I indicated on a previous post.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 04 May 2019 at 01:12.
Old 06 May 2019, 11:14   #3191
Wrangler

@drluking: Based on what you've done the volts would seem to be OK now. As you are getting random crashes after a while of operating, my next guess would be heat. Those Voodoos chuck out a lot of heat and I had problems with the Voodoo radiating onto either the CPU or the Mediator logic board. Have you fitted a fan to the Voodoo? And case fans? Amiga cases aren't great for air flow.

Stackattack isn't necessary as the logic behind it is built into the powerpc library itself as I understand it.
Old 08 May 2019, 09:41   #3192
BULI

My Friend from USA sent to me correct card.
I put it in to Mediator slot (place after Sonnet), and everything works fine :-)
Many thank for All, for your support

And quick question:
Should I change something in settings for Ragnarok, if i had before, correct working Sonnet?

Quote:
I got info from my Friend from the USA- there is a hope to happy end.
Old 08 May 2019, 10:59   #3193
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
My Friend from USA sent to me correct card.
I put it in to Mediator slot (place after Sonnet), and everything works fine :-)
Many thank for All, for your support

And quick question:
Should I change something in settings for Ragnarok, if i had before, correct working Sonnet?
Glad it got fixed :-) You still have the previous card? If so, what does pciinfo say about the card?

You don't need to adjust settings for this card compared to sonnet.
Old 08 May 2019, 16:22   #3194
BULI

The card is back in my Friend's hands.

I made a screen from pciinfo before run InitPPC, and after, look in this post:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=1315514&postcount=3139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
Glad it got fixed :-) You still have the previous card? If so, what does pciinfo say about the card?

You don't need to adjust settings for this card compared to sonnet.
Old 21 May 2019, 16:09   #3195
k0x

J4YI - last week we attended Amiga party - Resetkani in Czech republic - arranged by Jack-3D. Two Ragnaroks, two Killers and two Sonnets were there to see

Jack-3D presented current state of Sonnet project

We took the opportunity to test Ragnarok in Hall80's machine with black Mediator A1200TX.

After much attempts we succesfully run getinfo and bogomips. Further attempts to start Workbenh were failing. The reason could be that Hall80 runs BlizzardPPC with BlizzardVision together with mediator and Voodoo 3 but we had no option to test it with other CPU accelerator since removing BPPC from tower would lead to complete dissasembly of the machine (disadvantage of new Elbox BlackBox tower).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190518_095952 (Large).jpg
Views:	143
Size:	288.7 KB
ID:	63196   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190518_100040 (Large).jpg
Views:	142
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	63197  
Old 23 May 2019, 03:30   #3196
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0x View Post
J4YI - last week we attended Amiga party - Resetkani in Czech republic - arranged by Jack-3D. Two Ragnaroks, two Killers and two Sonnets were there to see

Jack-3D presented current state of Sonnet project

We took the opportunity to test Ragnarok in Hall80's machine with black Mediator A1200TX.

After much attempts we succesfully run getinfo and bogomips. Further attempts to start Workbenh were failing. The reason could be that Hall80 runs BlizzardPPC with BlizzardVision together with mediator and Voodoo 3 but we had no option to test it with other CPU accelerator since removing BPPC from tower would lead to complete dissasembly of the machine (disadvantage of new Elbox BlackBox tower).

Is Hall80 the one other than Indiegolemon that has a K1 working in the machine otherwise?

I would say just make sure P96 is running and CGX is removed, make sure ppc.library in rom is killed with Terminator... and I don't know enough about Blizzards to recommend much else.
Old 23 May 2019, 10:33   #3197
BULI

I congratulate this community

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0x View Post

Jack-3D presented current state of Sonnet projec.
Old 23 May 2019, 16:22   #3198
jack-3d
kLiker

Yeah! Party was great and during the party my sonnet was confirmed dead status after reballing ram controller. So now I am looking for a replacement, anybody has a spare one available for sale?
Old 23 May 2019, 17:13   #3199
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack-3d View Post
Yeah! Party was great and during the party my sonnet was confirmed dead status after reballing ram controller. So now I am looking for a replacement, anybody has a spare one available for sale?
Me, for the same price I bought it from a friend of yours.
Old 23 May 2019, 17:51   #3200
jack-3d
kLiker

Yes yes I know, but I still think mine can become alive if ram controller is exchanged. If not ram controller, then we will change cpu (I have spare CPU ready).