English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga File Server

Old 09 February 2022, 10:09   #2881
Turran

Now the f@cking internet is down again. Hate this shit. On the phone to the isp again. Probably take another hour to get through.

45 minutes later. "A power job in you area that should have taken 1 minute... did not"
No ETA. Use google drive for now

Last edited by Turran; 09 February 2022 at 10:22.
Old 09 February 2022, 10:21   #2882
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post
Now the f@cking internet is down again. Hate this shit. On the phone to the isp again. Probably take another hour to get throug)
Ahhh, where is the good old slogan ? : "IT makes your life easier"

Now, it's the "user experience"

PS: I feel for you Turran, take heart.
Old 09 February 2022, 11:00   #2883
Turran

Hehe, thanks for the sympathy =)

Its back again. Just got a text that its fixed.
Old 11 February 2022, 23:23   #2884
hitm4n

Hi Turran (and anyone interested). I have created a version of DamienDs WinUAE Collection that omits all the Laserdisc, MAC and (most) RTG games. I've also used 7zip to compress it and dropped the installer files in favour of a simple unpack. This has taken the set (whilst only omitting non-Amiga games) from 55.8gb to just 22.3gb.

My personal preference with this pack is that it only has native Amiga games in it. It has Host and Hardware override config files included for 1080p fullscreen, scanlines off, LEDs on, disk sound on etc. but does not override all the other config settings that Damien has painstakingly set up and tested.

My question is... Is there any demand for this or am i alone in wanting a slightly stripped back set thats less than half the size? Shout up people if interested.

If there is demand, am i able to upload it to your FTP?

I will also be doing an addon pack for this set (or for use with Damiens original set) including all the games requested by me that have to this date never been added.

These will be (as long as they work and test out okay)...

Axel Tetris
Brainbow
Coin Mania
Emerald Mine CD
GermZ
GlowTrack
Gold Mine
Hibernated 1 + Eight Feet Under addon
Imbrium
Interlock
Jelly Othelly
London Rain Matrix
Looty
Modsurfer
Not Cave Runner II (Cave Runner Enhanced)
Oubliette
Poing Collection (updated by me)
Pump Up The Volume
Quest For Galaxia
Rags AGA
Redpill Puzzle
Rings Of Zon
Schelobers Quest For A Babe
Space Pilot Of Death
The Eire Raising Adventures Of Seamus OMally
The Invaders (Mental Image Games Disk 1)
The Invaders II (Mental Image Games Disk 2)
The Lost Treasures Of Infocom Collection (updated by me)
Tomcat (maybe)
Werner Flaschbier
Wiz 2

The pack is done and ready to upload if i'm allowed and its wanted. I have the ADFs and installs for the addon packs i want to create but am yet to start creating them yet. I've been waiting for DDs return, to catch up and see all the additions and been keen to grab the latest packs. Unfortunately, even with over 100 new games added only one was from my list, "Journey". Lots more MAC and PC ports and RTG stuff was added but that is not my interest.

So i've stripped it down and will add the games myself. Shouldn't take long.
Any comments on this from anyone? Cheers.
Old 12 February 2022, 09:46   #2885
Turran

Nice work. Personally I would not be interested because of the size but if other people want it, I don't see a problem with uploading it. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitm4n View Post
Hi Turran (and anyone interested). I have created a version of DamienDs WinUAE Collection that omits all the Laserdisc, MAC and (most) RTG games. I've also used 7zip to compress it and dropped the installer files in favour of a simple unpack. This has taken the set (whilst only omitting non-Amiga games) from 55.8gb to just 22.3gb.

So i've stripped it down and will add the games myself. Shouldn't take long.
Any comments on this from anyone? Cheers.
Old 12 February 2022, 10:48   #2886
Turran

I'll post this here as well

Hi hitm4n,

Thanks for your post regarding my collection, we have had this discussion already though.

Yes, I do think that you are alone in not wanting any Laserdisc, MAC and (most) RTG games. This is your personal choice, and are welcome to it.

As I've said to you previously, you and anybody else are quite welcome to customise / remove games yourself in your copy of my collection

However, there is really no need to re-upload "your" personal choices to the TURRAN FTP. People can do this themselves if they so desire.

Turran is already doing me a massive favour by hosting my collection; we don't need 10 x people's desired versions reuploaded.

If you want to provide adjusted configurations files; then please archive and host under your ~Uploads folder.

Regarding these games you've listed that I haven't added into my collection. These are main reasons for this:

1) I haven't really had the time to go through your list.
2) If honest, from a quick scan, most are not great or my cup of tea. I totally understand that for you these hold some nostalgic value.

So if you want to create an "unofficial" Update Pack, please do so. You can post in the following thread where I've also provided some guidelines:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=98264

Ciao,
D
Old 12 February 2022, 13:11   #2887
hitm4n

For full disclosure then, seeing as Damiens message to me is also here in public (i got it as a pm to begin with)...

I have replied with...

Re: DamienD
Originally Posted by Turran
Hey. I got a response from DamienD about your stripped down version. Here it is.

Quote:
Thanks for passing this on. I didn't think i needed any comment from Damien, or would get one, since he said this...

Quote:
Bah, thought about this some more...
Host where ever, do what you like as:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
I honestly don't care anymore...
Its like passing secret notes in the classroom...

I'll only upload the full but stripped down pack if there is enough response for it and YOU (Turran) allow it as its your FTP. I'm happy to concede this might just be my preference and no-one elses. No harm done, i did this for me initially, repacked it for archival / backup purposes and just saw how much smaller it was without the huge MAC and PC games. As an emulator and retro hobbyist, i already have huge DOS collections and other system setups, for me Amiga should be just Amiga. Its not just a size thing though. Damien has acknowledged the limitations of his own laptop and the screenmodes he has settled on. The host configs i added took some work to figure out (having not messed with this part of WinUAE before) and if the works now done, why not share that too. Lets see on the responses.

To note, when i offered my configs, they were used... When i posted my request list, there was some responses of "good choices", and upon reading the release thread again today, there were/are people who struggle with the size of this pack. Damien may think theres no desire for this pack, but i think there will be. Again, lets see in that thread.

I have already had a pm from someone showing interest at least for the host configs as they "hate scanlines" as they put it.

I will be making an addon pack, maybe more than one. I have made a start today. My insistance for a list of "what will you add, won't you add" was due to every other addon pack created (for the most part) eventually getting officially added or torn apart and rebuilt by Damien. I wasn't going to waste my time to only have him rebuild it all and add it himself afterwards.

Now though, i think after waiting since late feb, early march last year, and after this comment...
Quote:
If honest, from a quick scan, most are not great or my cup of tea.
...then now's the time to put this together.

Turran, you can pass this message back if you wish, in full or in part as you see fit. Its not really a direct reply to Damien, sometimes just typing this out helps me plan my own actions and make sense of things.

The FTP rocks btw, if you do align with Damiens wishes, and he absolutely forbids the upload, and you want to adhere to that, thats fine. I would not want to jeopardise my access to your FTP.

Right then. Back to setting up some configs and taking screenshots.
Regards.
And here i go. Back to configs and screenshot creating...
Old 12 February 2022, 13:40   #2888
mrv2k

FYI the next version of DDLaunch has the ability to toggle the leds and scanlines on or off and already has full window support with aspect ratio correction. I'm just tweaking the scaling for DD's old laptop an I'll release it.
Old 12 February 2022, 13:50   #2889
Viceroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrv2k View Post
FYI the next version of DDLaunch has the ability to toggle the leds and scanlines on or off and already has full window support with aspect ratio correction. I'm just tweaking the scaling for DD's old laptop an I'll release it.
Well done!
Old 12 February 2022, 14:35   #2890
Sandancer

Awesome well done hitm4n & mrv2k
Old 12 February 2022, 15:12   #2891
hitm4n

My Host and Hardware config files are in the Zone for those that want them.
Old 12 February 2022, 21:32   #2892
vulture

DamienD asked me to post this:

Hi hitm4n,

Ok, where do I start...

Re: "Its like passing secret notes in the classroom..."

In case you haven't noticed, I've now been permanently banned from EAB. I couldn't reply even if I wanted to, so have to ask my friends to post any messages for me.

Re: "For full disclosure then, seeing as Damiens message to me is also here in public (i got it as a pm to begin with)..."

I asked Turran to post the message in thread, not PM you but that's what he did unfortunately. Once I found this out, I asked if he could please repost in the thread, like I originally asked...

Re: "I'll only upload the full but stripped down pack if there is enough response for it and YOU (Turran) allow it as its your FTP."

I'm sorry, but this is my project. Yes people can host anywhere now but not modified / stripped down versions. It needs to be in it's full entirety.

Please respect when I ask you not to upload your personal stripped down copy to the TURRAN FTP; or anywhere else for that matter.

I've already given valid reasons why not, and I shouldn't really have to...

As said, if people want to remove stuff in their own copy of my collection, then they are quite capable to do so by themselves.

You can share your configuration files and host settings though, I don't have any issue with that.

Re: turning off scanlines / LEDs or indeed any other settings... I've provided detailed instructions on how to do this, please read the first post of my thread: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=1212914&postcount=1

i.e: "Finally, if you don't like any the above settings it's very easy to change by either"

Also, I had a bunch of "host" files on my "mega.nz" account previously. I've now uploaded to "DamienD's WinUAE Collection/Host". These are as follows:

... Alt + F4 to Quit
... End to F11
... No Scanlines
... No LEDs
... No Scanlines & No LEDs

Re: "I will be making an addon pack, maybe more than one. I have made a start today. My insistance for a list of "what will you add, won't you add" was due to every other addon pack created (for the most part) eventually getting officially added or torn apart and rebuilt by Damien. I wasn't going to waste my time to only have him rebuild it all and add it himself afterwards."

Wow!!! Torn apart, only to have me rebuild it all and add everything myself afterwards you say? You are so off the mark here. Yes, I may take one or two games from the "Unoffical Update" packs; as these were already on my list to add. The rebuilding is to make things adhere to my high standards.

Ciao,
D

Quote:
For full disclosure then, seeing as Damiens message to me is also here in public (i got it as a pm to begin with)...

I have replied with...

Re: DamienD
Originally Posted by Turran
Hey. I got a response from DamienD about your stripped down version. Here it is.

And here i go. Back to configs and screenshot creating...
Old 12 February 2022, 22:18   #2893
hitm4n

Is there a forum rule for posting on behalf of a banned member? Something to consider i reckon.

I see he skipped over his own quote. The very first part of my message. What happened to "do what you like, i honestly don't care any more"?

My version of DDs pack removes some games, compresses to a higher level and removes the installer. Some people may like to download 24gb instead of 56gb. Some may like to have a ready made cleaned up Amiga only pack. Some people may like to have the altered hosts and hardware files included and not have to do searches and replacements in thousands of config files. Some people may not have the knowledge to add and use host files, i know i found them tricky to begin with. Some people may not like using another launcher for their WinUAE setups (as good as DDLaunch has become, its cool its had all these new options added) so might not have those LED and Scanline options so readily available. Some people may require a clean Amiga set to use in other scenarios like Launchbox. Some people may like the fact that the override files also raise the floppy speed, alter the sound, use more modern resolutions. Some may just like the fact that all these things have been done already. By me. And i'm willing to share.

Quote:
I've already given valid reasons why not, and I shouldn't really have to...
The only reasons that were given were "theres no need" and "people can do it themselves" with an added "we don't need 10 x people's desired versions reuploaded".

Respectfully. I will not upload my cleaned up pack with 200 non-Amiga games removed. I have shared the host and hardware override files already in the Zone and i will get back to creating my first addon pack.

I challenge you DamienD. Do not reply to this message.
GMs. Apologies for poking the bear. It won't happen again
Old 12 February 2022, 23:48   #2894
Turran

I'm a bit torn on this as well. One one hand, I do not want to act a secretary and forward messages from DamienD to this thread. In this case, I did not see any harm in doing so once since it was only about his wishes of his pack on the FTP. I've been away with family the rest of the day and missed what was said after that.

On the second hand, he is still an admin on the FTP (the only one outside myself who has helped with user problems etc on it. All other admins permissions were revoked when we "split" the FTP from EAB as per our mutual agreement that it is best to do so as RCK can not and should not have to police what contents we host on the FTP.).

Also, I am very much in good terms with DamienD and want to stay neutral in the matter of EAB vs DamienD, like the good Swede that I am =)

I suggest that you who wish to contact DamienD regarding his packs and what we host on the FTP, in regards to his pack, do so in other means outside of the EAB forums.

Peace out. Now get downloading!

Did you know that, with a registered FTP account, you can send messages to other users?
For example, raw command (not sure how to trigger in filezilla):
Code:
site msg <username> TEst. How are you? blabla
When that user browse around, they will see
226- You have messages to read.
226- [Ul: 0.0MiB] [Dl: 0.0MiB] [Speed: 1931.00KiB/s] [Free: 4393312MB]
226 [Section: DEFAULT] [Credits: 0.0MiB] [Ratio: UL&DL: Unlimited]

Yeah, its easy to miss that, but anyway..

They can then do another raw command:
Code:
site msg read
200- 
200- From: turranius (Sat Feb 12 23:50:58 2022)
200- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
200- TEst. How are you? blabla
200-  
200 Messages moved to TRASH.  Type SITE MSG SAVE to keep them.
In general
Code:
ftp> site msg
200-  ,--------------------------------------------------------.
200- | Send and receive messages. USAGE:                        |
200- | SITE MSG READ - read your messages in inbox              |
200- | SITE MSG SAVE - save messages from trash to inbox        |
200- | SITE MSG PURGE - delete messages in trash                |
200- | SITE MSG TREAD - read messages in trash                  |
200- | SITE MSG <username> <message>                            |
200- |                      - send a message to username        |
200-  `--------------------------------------------------------'

Last edited by Turran; 12 February 2022 at 23:57.
Old 13 February 2022, 10:33   #2895
hitm4n

Its all good. I'm not going to upload the revised pack.

So... after the brief derailment, sorry about that, i do actually have a question about the file server. I've used the ftp for a fair while, particularly for finding TOSEC additions each time they come round and its an awesome resource. I've seen the ~uploads folder with everyones names in, but i don't know how to go about having a folder there of my own.

Do i simply connect and create a folder? Or is it done by request? I am currently connecting with the username "hitm4n" and i use WinSCP.

Cheers.
Old 13 February 2022, 11:29   #2896
Turran

Thanks. Then we can put that one behind us =)

As for uploading, yepp. You simply create a folder called exactly like your username in ~Uploads. It should allow you to do that as long as its exact (case sensitive).

You then have full control in that folder to create, upload and delete. If you want things you've uploaded to be moved to a certain area afterwards, you just contact me here and I'll move it for you.

There are also specific rules in place that I can put if you want direct control over some folders outside of your upload dir. For example, Retroplay have full access to his Retroplay WHDLoad Packs directory.
CodyJarret has full access to the TOSEC folders.

Etc.

Be adviced that anything uploaded comes up in lists, such as the "Show last uploads" button on https://grandis.nu/turransearch, so follow the rules and do not upload software that are is still for sale, such as Kickstarts or APC & TCP software.
Other than that, its pretty much up to you what you think are retro and might be interesting to someone else. If you want to upload gigabyte of data, please let me know before.

Quote:
Its all good. I'm not going to upload the revised pack.

So... after the brief derailment, sorry about that, i do actually have a question about the file server. I've used the ftp for a fair while, particularly for finding TOSEC additions each time they come round and its an awesome resource. I've seen the ~uploads folder with everyones names in, but i don't know how to go about having a folder there of my own.

Do i simply connect and create a folder? Or is it done by request? I am currently connecting with the username "hitm4n" and i use WinSCP.

Cheers.
Old 13 February 2022, 11:40   #2897
hitm4n

I should only need my own folder. Nothing will be big and nothing should need moving, nothing will be APC/TCP either. Just some old Amiga games i think are worthy of adding to the mix. Cheers for the info.
Old 13 February 2022, 14:01   #2898
Dunny

You know, you could create a script that removes the games you don't want and host that instead in your uploads folder. Then anyone that wants it can just grab the full pack and apply the script. I think that might satisfy everyone.

And go for the additional pack, but try to keep it separate from the main collection when installed. We have an "Unofficial" folder for those configs.

I like the idea of unofficial packs.
Old 13 February 2022, 14:20   #2899
Viceroy

Was there not an unofficial pack before?
Old 13 February 2022, 16:34   #2900
hitm4n

Gregzolka and a couple of others made packs, and i've read everything Damien (and yourself Dunny) suggested about keeping them seperate. I am using folders titled "Unofficial" for the games and configs, these paths will be in the zip i release so people can unpack straight into their WinUAE installs. I'm also adhering to the screenshot sizes and naming, making sure its all good. I am using a stock A500 config, 720x576 fullscreenwindowed, with LEDs on and scanlines off for my games. If it doesn't work there then i step up to a stock A1200 config with some more memory. LEDs are turned off for the screenshots.

I did think about a script to do the cleanup work, but i feel this is a halfway measure as it would mean people still have to download and unpack (and it does take quite some time considering its size) the whole of DDs set to then run the script. Yeah, i agree, that would be a reasonable compromise, but i'm not going to bother. My pack would have offered the benefit of a smaller initial download, those extra override configs and the work all being done. Nevermind, i'm past the "i wanna upload mine" phase and i'm concentrating on this new addon pack instead.

And while i'm here. I just discovered something marvelous. You may all scoff and think "what a numpty", but while trying to build this addon pack, i was having a big problem grabbing screenshots without what looked like scanlines in them. Scanlines are off of course, LEDs too, but i think this is a direct3d thing. What i just discovered is that my host/hardware override files were forcing Direct3D for the graphics api. I have just changed them to force "DirectDraw" instead and screenshots are being grabbed perfectly now, no scanlines, and even while emulating and playing games, they look brighter and cleaner. Who knew? Maybe i was stuck in this Direct3D mode due to an older video card? Maybe Direct3D is the "safe" default api in WinUAE. I don't know, but i'm in heaven now. Amiga emulation has never looked so good and i thought it was spot on already!

So. Back to the pack creation. Now that i've nailed down the process and everything is working i should have this up by next weekend i think, maybe sooner in the week (i do work full time away from home).