English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 February 2021, 02:32   #261
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post

What if I told you that this one was only 4 colours per line ?
Looks excellent, goes to show that OCS 7/8 colour isnt as limited as it may seem.

Are OCS sprites different, can they use the 16 colours from both planes wjen attached?
Old 04 February 2021, 04:23   #262
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmimmfn View Post
Looks excellent, goes to show that OCS 7/8 colour isnt as limited as it may seem.
I've always telling that.
Only gradients are tricky, but the other stuff could be done amazingly with small number of colors, thanks to the mighty palette of 4096 colors.

I've been blown away how Tsak did weapon sprites in the Dread thread,
I Wonder what Tsak results would be in character and BG conversion for Streeet Fighter 2.
Old 04 February 2021, 05:49   #263
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
sorry I don't get it youve used the copper to create a different colour per line? not a different pallet per line.
Technically he said to the copper to change one of the palette values so virtually is one palette BUT the value change during the rendering on the screen via raster (that creates several subpalettes every n lines)
Old 04 February 2021, 05:55   #264
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
[removed image but is over there]

What if I told you that this one was only 4 colours per line ?
Copper rulez!

Question: the seeming vertical lack of consistency of color in some areas is deliberate or a side effect of copper at work?
[i answer myself, definitely copper artifacts and i can well live with it]
Old 04 February 2021, 08:17   #265
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

With a static image, Copper reloading can really wield amazing results even with a few colours.
Would love to see how good this works with the whole stage and not a part of it, though..

Tweaking the stages to look good with this 8+7 setup is surely a fun thing.

add/edit:

Put this together for shits and giggles.
Dans Stage with Master484s Bobs...

Looks crazy good, imo..

Now imagine this with the perspective warped floor animating, the lantern parallaxing, and chars moving and animating in 50 FPS...
And like I said, I think this is very very doable on a stock 512/512 Amiga 500.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sf2_stage8col_final.png
Views:	623
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	70763  

Last edited by Tigerskunk; 04 February 2021 at 08:48.
Old 04 February 2021, 08:48   #266
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Even if it's actually only a still image on the paper (screen ) what could be achieve looks really impressive indeed guys !
Old 04 February 2021, 09:10   #267
sokolovic

Well that escalated quickly from "No way an unexpanded Amiga 1200 could do a proper SF2 version" to "let's do an OCS version with just 512Kb of chip ram".

By the way, I don't understand why the game would have necessary to have a 1 button mode. Even MD and PC Engine version also recquires a special pad to be really playable (game is almost unplayable with original pad on these console). A 2 button version should be the bare minimum, with a classic 6 button version with the CD32 (or comptaible) pads. We're in 2021, I guess almost everybody now have at least a 2 button pad/stick to play an Amiga game.

Last edited by sokolovic; 04 February 2021 at 09:19.
Old 04 February 2021, 09:23   #268
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
We're in 2021, I guess almost everybody now have at least a 2 button pad/stick to play an Amiga game.
I hear ya, my friend.

Experience tells me though, that those people who buy 1000 euro accelerator cards for their Amigas are not willing to buy a 10 euro joystick with two buttons and prefer to stay with their one button model for "nostalgia" reasons...

Anyway, two button should be minimum here.
Hard to map this to two buttons anyway.
Old 04 February 2021, 09:28   #269
sokolovic

I'd say that a 2 button version should have just middle punch / kick on each button. And one button version middle punch/kick sharre the button and are switched via space bar.
That would be very uncomfortable but hey, that's the cost of not willing to expand
Old 04 February 2021, 10:40   #270
Valken

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Well that escalated quickly from "No way an unexpanded Amiga 1200 could do a proper SF2 version" to "let's do an OCS version with just 512Kb of chip ram".

By the way, I don't understand why the game would have necessary to have a 1 button mode. Even MD and PC Engine version also recquires a special pad to be really playable (game is almost unplayable with original pad on these console). A 2 button version should be the bare minimum, with a classic 6 button version with the CD32 (or comptaible) pads. We're in 2021, I guess almost everybody now have at least a 2 button pad/stick to play an Amiga game.
I agree it seems the direction has strayed from how to make a near arcade perfect version but ends up setting the bar at an Amiga 500 with 1 MB of ram. AGAIN. Sigh...

Also,all Amigas since day 1, real or virtual, can support more than 1 button controllers.

Let's have some progress and consider 2 controller options:

1 or 6 button support so we can try to target that "arcade" perfect version but leave room for an Amiga 500 optimized version.
Old 04 February 2021, 10:45   #271
vulture

Actually SSF2 has a very nice way (considering the limitations) of context moves on 2-button controllers that mostly preserves all strengths forkicks and punches. Dunno how easy or hard is to replicate this tho.

Last edited by vulture; 04 February 2021 at 10:50.
Old 04 February 2021, 10:50   #272
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valken View Post
I agree it seems the direction has strayed from how to make a near arcade perfect version but ends up setting the bar at an Amiga 500 with 1 MB of ram. AGAIN. Sigh...
n.
I am very sure nobody will threaten you with violence here if you start creating an arcade perfect AGA version of SF2...

It's just, I am very sure that the concept that was shown in the video that started this thread would work. So there is not much more to talk about on a hypthetical AGA version, really.
Except the State machine and Hit box stuff (and rest of the game loop, etc), which could be shared between both versions, anyway.

Creating a great playable OCS version is a more interesting subject from a coders perspective, since it poses a lot of inherent challenges which AGA simply doesn't do.
Old 04 February 2021, 10:56   #273
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
[...] Creating a great playable OCS version is a more interesting subject from a coders perspective, since it poses a lot of inherent challenges which AGA simply doesn't do.
This is the mindset that I appreciate in the 'retro-community' .
Old 04 February 2021, 12:07   #274
Torti-the-Smurf

This is amazing. Looking at this footage and what KK have done with his doom like engine is just incredible.
He also joined TITAN if i am not mistaken.

I really do hope that one day TITAN makes an Amiga OCS/ECS Demo that blew people away like Overdrive 2 did.

Thank you guys, you are the best !
Old 04 February 2021, 12:25   #275
Valken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
I am very sure nobody will threaten you with violence here if you start creating an arcade perfect AGA version of SF2...

It's just, I am very sure that the concept that was shown in the video that started this thread would work. So there is not much more to talk about on a hypthetical AGA version, really.
Except the State machine and Hit box stuff (and rest of the game loop, etc), which could be shared between both versions, anyway.

Creating a great playable OCS version is a more interesting subject from a coders perspective, since it poses a lot of inherent challenges which AGA simply doesn't do.
I never offered to code this nor can I! I'm not a coder! Code illiterate!

I was just commenting on the OP direction and was naive to think "ARCADE PERFECT" to AGA was challenging for you guys. Seems less IS more!

I do thank you for the insight of where you and other coding wizards find the parts most interesting and agree sharing playable code base would benefit both ECS and AGA chipset Amigas!

Carry on coding wizards!
Old 04 February 2021, 12:28   #276
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valken View Post
I was just commenting on the OP direction and was naive to think "ARCADE PERFECT" to AGA was challenging for you guys. Seems less IS more!
Not sure about "Arcade perfect", but I never questioned personally that a version could be made for AGA Amigas that looked and sounded very very similar to the arcade version. So my initial reaction wasn't as big as other people in the internet, I guess.

But yeah, either way it would be much work, off course..
Old 04 February 2021, 13:24   #277
kamelito
Zone Friend

I guess some limitations could be removed by designing the game around the monitor being put In vertical position (90 degree rotation) it might help for some games but will create other limitations.
Does anybody ever thought of doing that?
Old 04 February 2021, 13:42   #278
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
I guess some limitations could be removed by designing the game around the monitor being put In vertical position (90 degree rotation) it might help for some games but will create other limitations.
Certainly wouldn't work for SF2... but it might work for vertical shooters (just to get that tall narrow playfield style)

Only problem with that is the way hardware sprites work... kind of vertically

Last edited by DanScott; 04 February 2021 at 14:19.
Old 04 February 2021, 13:47   #279
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

I had fiddled with the idea to put the monitor on its head. But then I noticed, it would only complicate things and had no real benefit.
Old 04 February 2021, 14:20   #280
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
How about some turn based game, where you rotate the screen during turns?