English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Contest

Old 01 September 2018, 21:31   #221
ross
Defendit numerus

oh sure, so pedantic
Amazing work, I can't wait to see your videos with your progress!
Old 01 September 2018, 22:54   #222
buzzybee

Regarding optimized blitter handling: Consider using coding a blitter based interrupt queue. When one object has been blitted, the "blitter finished bit" may call an interrupt which handles the next blitter object, and so on and so on. It´s not the easiest technique to implement, but can save a lot of time waiting for the blitter to finished its job. Especially if you blit rather large objects as you do.

But from what I see in your video, optimization of the rendering engine is probably not even needed any more.
Old 01 September 2018, 23:02   #223
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
Regarding optimized blitter handling: Consider using coding a blitter based interrupt queue. When one object has been blitted, the "blitter finished bit" may call an interrupt which handles the next blitter object, and so on and so on. It´s not the easiest technique to implement, but can save a lot of time waiting for the blitter to finished its job. Especially if you blit rather large objects as you do.

But from what I see in your video, optimization of the rendering engine is probably not even needed any more.
Yeah thanks, I'm aware of the technique but it could be a real pain in the arse to code. If I need to I'll do it but it's probably over kill as you've mentioned.
Old 02 September 2018, 23:14   #224
mcgeezer

After finally getting the scrolling and sprite engine sorted out I've moved on to the collision stuff. This basically means that I need to have a sprite to work with so the video below is showing the main player sprite movements implemented.

The game will now follow the same process as Beer Edition, although I still haven't quite worked out the algorithm for making the enemies appear and the difficulty, that will come though as it did with BJ.

Enjoy.

[ Show youtube player ]

Over the coming week I might record some coding sessions which some might find interesting, probably very boring in parts though but you'll get the idea.
Old 02 September 2018, 23:20   #225
DamienD
Banned

Looking good my friend; love watching all your progress videos and detailed explanations
Old 03 September 2018, 07:51   #226
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Same here. Nice to see your progress documented here...
Old 03 September 2018, 12:44   #227
phx
Natteravn

I love that too. It's impressive and entertaining to witness the great progress!

And it's fascinating for me that mcgeezer's public development style is the extreme contrast to mine. I couldn't stand the stress having the public watch each of my steps. I do not even mention that I'm working on something, until it is finished.
Old 03 September 2018, 13:01   #228
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
I love that too. It's impressive and entertaining to witness the great progress!

And it's fascinating for me that mcgeezer's public development style is the extreme contrast to mine. I couldn't stand the stress having the public watch each of my steps. I do not even mention that I'm working on something, until it is finished.
Well as i told him, his way is very professional. He is not afraid to make mistake, passion and fun can be felt in his explanations.

He make me think of some coding guys i knew in the companies i worked for but applied to the Amiga.

I wish him all the best. He is the kind of guy able to make people dream
Old 03 September 2018, 14:06   #229
AChristian

hi i had some questions, sorry if you've answered them before.

1-you are using a text editor and a script to compile using VASM and then the script injects the compiled file into WinUAE?

2- the rygar level background is one big image?
Old 03 September 2018, 14:23   #230
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Looking good my friend; love watching all your progress videos and detailed explanations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Same here. Nice to see your progress documented here...
Quote:
Thanks for the kind comments guys. Rygar is a game I love alongside the likes of Rolling Thunder, Kung Fu Master, Side Arms, Hyper Sports, Bomb Jack, Nemesis, Bubble Bobble, Outrun, Space Harrier etc.... all brilliant games.

Quote:
This is a strange one for me, I post videos and document stuff for a few reasons. One of them is so that I can watch the videos back... sometimes I spot things and I'm able to fix them. The other thing is the feedback I get from the likes of you guys which really inspires me to finish the project - it really does help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Well as i told him, his way is very professional. He is not afraid to make mistake, passion and fun can be felt in his explanations.

He make me think of some coding guys i knew in the companies i worked for but applied to the Amiga.

I wish him all the best. He is the kind of guy able to make people dream
Very kind of you, the conditions between myself and back in the day commercial games developers are very different. Had it not been for financial pressures the game developers would have produced much better games... financial pressure leads to time pressure which leads to loss of creativity which then leads to poor games. Bet yes, I try to remain professional and methodical in everything I do and hope that others learn from my explanations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AChristian View Post
hi i had some questions, sorry if you've answered them before.

1-you are using a text editor and a script to compile using VASM and then the script injects the compiled file into WinUAE?

2- the rygar level background is one big image?

3-those complicated calculations you had to do on paper, what was that to achieve?
1. Yes I use notepad++ and have 3 hotkeys setup, shift F10 compiles my code and sends it to an Amiga Harddrive configured in WinUAE. shift F11 then runs WinUAE with the configuration of the harddrive, the startup sequence then just executes the output binary that was copied earlier. shift F12 does the same as Shift F11 except it boots into debug mode with MonAm... this is extremely handy. Another thing I do is have the A1200 Action Replay cart configured so I can see screen displays mainly - again very handy.

2. Yes, it's a 3 bitplane image that is 1600x112 in resolution.

3. Those were to define the required palette for the foreground and background scrolling bit planes. So when one bitplane overlaps another it either needs to show one colour or another. Sometimes it can be mind bending.
Old 03 September 2018, 18:01   #231
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

I am bit sad though, that you left us OCS dudes already after one game...
Old 03 September 2018, 18:08   #232
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
converting to OCS will be mostly easier once the best version is done.
Old 03 September 2018, 19:02   #233
mcgeezer

Quote:
I'll still do OCS stuff, it just depends on the project really.

Rygar on OCS is a suicide mission really when you look at it.

The closest the A500 got to it was this heap of shit.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 03 September 2018, 19:07   #234
Ian
Global Moderator

Lol I'm sure you could do better than that
Old 03 September 2018, 19:16   #235
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Lol I'm sure you could do better than that
Can you believe people paid £19.95 for that? Ofcourse it had nothing to do with the page 3 bird on the box cover and the mags at the time featuring her.

Sex sells I guess. Elvira also springs to mind but I don't recall that game being as crap (although I never played either).
Old 03 September 2018, 19:42   #236
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
The closest the A500 got to it was this heap of shit.

[ Show youtube player ]
Don't you mean either one of these?

... Evil Dawn
... King Of The Barbarians
Old 03 September 2018, 20:13   #237
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Don't you mean either one of these?

... Evil Dawn
... King Of The Barbarians
Umm don't know, I don't recall any of those being hyped to the hilt.
Old 03 September 2018, 20:32   #238
seuden
uber cool demi god

This is a very fascinating thread mcgeezer. The effort you're putting in to the game and this thread is amazing. Keep up the great work. If I had more time I know for a fact this would inspire me to learn to code.
Old 03 September 2018, 22:03   #239
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Umm don't know, I don't recall any of those being hyped to the hilt.
...definitely not hyped but clearly supposed to be "Rygar" clones i.e. the player and weapon... but that's where they stop
Old 03 September 2018, 22:40   #240
mcgeezer

Here's my efforts for tonight...

A very very primitive tile based collision detection... it is very broken and needs a fair bit of work. Doing this properly is quite imperative to the game so don't be surprised if there's no updates after this one for a while (maybe a week or so).

I also have an "off by one" bug which is occurring after the first round which I really must iron out as it will come back to haunt me later.

There's been lots of great activity on my discussion thread today and I really do appreciate all the positive feedback and general banter!

Geezer

[ Show youtube player ]