English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 07 June 2016, 12:42   #201
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
@demolition yes, if WB runs in RTG. (I have a Vampire too) but the part I don't get is the future SAGA implementation where we are running AGA on A600. For legacy software (non RTG) to run you need to "fake" chipRAM, no?
Will you be able to run your Amiga in classic AGA screenmodes/resolutions that don't require P96?
I don't know if SAGA will be able to access the chip mem on the motherboard. If not, it needs to be implemented on the Vampire (and then the chips on the motherboard will not be able to access it any longer so they need a full chipset implementation).

With SAGA, it should function just like any A1200 and be able to run regular AGA screenmodes, although not through the RGB connector, only HDMI. But who would want to use an AGA screenmode in WB if they have RTG available, except for debugging situations?
Old 07 June 2016, 13:31   #202
eXeler0

I dont know how much of the old Natami SuperAGA that's planned for the new cores, but my understanding was that is was not only going to be an AGA replica + some P96 RTG stuff thrown in, but rather, the SAGA chipset would be an improved version yet backward compatible with legacy software. (In the same way they are extending the 68k architecture with 64-bit, SIMD and what not without breaking 68k compatibility.
For me that experience should be transparent, you would in theory only need SAGA driver, no P96 to enjoy the enhanced AGA whatever it might be.

Skickat från min HTC One via Tapatalk
Old 14 July 2016, 18:01   #203
Ratteler

Majsta's sit is apparently empty. I'm getting blanks screens for all links. :-(
Old 18 July 2016, 21:53   #204
Romanujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Even if you made a system with >2MB chip, I think lots of software may have issues with it if they were forced to operate outside the normal 2MB address range.
UAE users are able to have >2MB chip configurations since years and, as far as I know, there are no incompatibilities.

Also, I suppose >2MB chip can be helpful while running some WHDLoad games from Workbench (like using the iGame tool).
Old 19 July 2016, 06:33   #205
emufan

Majsta got a new toy - [ Show youtube player ]. his website tells more about that device
Old 19 July 2016, 13:09   #206
thellier

>Majsta got a new toy - Liteplacer.
It seems that Majsta did an excellent works (very impressive Liteplacer) but also had lots of troubles because he was missing of money...

So my question : How can the Amiga community give a donation to the Vampire project ?

I mean for people that dont want anything in exchange but just help this nice project

Alain Thellier
Old 19 July 2016, 13:35   #207
wawa

amazing.

ill be damned if this all goes well, but, hell i must say, upon previous experience i trust him everything. i really start to like the anarchy involved in this project, on the contrary to "companies", hundreds thousands of investments, professional resellers, "official" labels, military specs and all that bullshit. it becomes more and more obvious, where the "amiga spirit" lies in.
Old 19 July 2016, 14:38   #208
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
amazing.

ill be damned if this all goes well, but, hell i must say, upon previous experience i trust him everything. i really start to like the anarchy involved in this project, on the contrary to "companies", hundreds thousands of investments, professional resellers, "official" labels, military specs and all that bullshit. it becomes more and more obvious, where the "amiga spirit" lies in.

You can call this - BBM - Balkan Business Model...
Old 28 July 2016, 01:21   #209
jediknight

if it comes with a way to get 2mb chip ill buy it , if not i probs wont i need 2mb chip and if you make it so you can have my wife lol ... sweet.
Old 28 July 2016, 01:45   #210
Ratteler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight View Post
if it comes with a way to get 2mb chip ill buy it , if not i probs wont i need 2mb chip and if you make it so you can have my wife lol ... sweet.
We really need to source some new 2MB Megachip style boards.
Old 28 July 2016, 15:23   #211
eXeler0

Quote:
Are you saying you need the Vampire but only if you can have your ECS with 2MB chip?

Trying to understand why this is a dealbreaker :-)
Either you need 2MB chip with your ECS graphics for something very specific... (Hmmm..what. exactly?)
...or you can use the Vampire with its native screenmodes for RTG stuff (now) and (s)AGA (later).

What am I missing here. What software are you using that runs in ECS but requires 2MB chip?

Old 28 July 2016, 16:30   #212
Ratteler

It's certainly not a deal breaker for me. But I WOULD really like 2MB on my 500.
Old 29 July 2016, 00:50   #213
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratteler View Post
It's certainly not a deal breaker for me. But I WOULD really like 2MB on my 500.
I'll confess to having expanded my A600 to 2MB chip (a604n), but it was mostly so that I could have the RTC module on it ;-)
What do you do with your 2MB ChipRAM in ECS mode that you can't do in RTG mode?

Old 29 July 2016, 02:15   #214
Ratteler

Quote:
I'll confess to having expanded my A600 to 2MB chip (a604n), but it was mostly so that I could have the RTC module on it ;-)
What do you do with your 2MB ChipRAM in ECS mode that you can't do in RTG mode?
I remember many times working on my old 500 with 8MB of external RAM being told I had run out of chip RAM because I was multitasking like a fiend.
Even with a 68030, because back then there was no RAM on the 030 boards for the 500. There was nothing you could do it about back then.

Then I got a 1200 an the problem "went away" as soon as I had 8MB in it.
I sold my A500 and never looked back. My next machine was Windows 95 P100 because at that point I was doing my Resume in Lightwave.

I realize the "Chip RAM" issue probably will be mitigated of eliminated by the Vampire, but I still have a long wait until the Vampire 500 is available and this 500 is sitting here.
Old 13 August 2016, 02:08   #215
jediknight

sa,e here the 1200 doesnt run out as quick when multitasking so yeah i would love 2mb chip and know i would still buy this without it just i really want chiippy ram so i can eat my chips in piece.
Old 13 August 2016, 20:09   #216
eXeler0

Quote:
sa,e here the 1200 doesnt run out as quick when multitasking so yeah i would love 2mb chip and know i would still buy this without it just i really want chiippy ram so i can eat my chips in piece.
Ok, lemme see.. You've had 25+years to do something about it and *now* when the Vampire is around the corner which will actually solve this problem, it's becoming urgent to expand the ChipMem? :-) :-) Cheers mate :-)

Old 13 August 2016, 21:20   #217
portarinos

2mb Chip are utterly necessary for many Whdload games. Does this make any sense? Take SWOS 96-97 for example. No matter how much fast ram your Amiga has, you can't get away with less than 2mb chip. This is a rule for many many games unless you are not interested in whdload.
Old 13 August 2016, 21:27   #218
Ratteler

Quote:
Ok, lemme see.. You've had 25+years to do something about it and *now* when the Vampire is around the corner which will actually solve this problem, it's becoming urgent to expand the ChipMem? :-) :-) Cheers mate :-)

Actually , I HAD is solved in 1994 when I sold my Amiga 1200.
Now that I've bought an A500 JUST for a Vampire... I ned to solve it again for THIS machine.
It's not hard to understand.
Old 16 August 2016, 09:49   #219
spudje

Did I miss something? Did the Vampire 500 go on pre-sale and has Kipper2k's site succumbed to the high demand, or has kipper2k just another challenge on his over busy schedule with fixing his website?
Old 16 August 2016, 10:52   #220
dirkies
Zone Friend

maybe Kipper's site is being in maintenance for changes to prepare for the V500 onslaught, but AFAIK no pre-sales yet. Keep an eye on the Apollo forum I'd say.