English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 March 2020, 18:49   #201
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
Full game is on the ftp, for PPC support you need update 7. http://grandis.nu/eabsearch/
Thanks spudje! Downloading now, will test later today!

FYI - I found the Image Mount program on Aminet to mount ISO's, works great on AmigaOS 3.x and I find it very handy!

http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/ImageMount
Old 30 March 2020, 19:47   #202
spudje

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboknekten View Post
At the moment I am trying to get PaybackPPC to start. The 68k version runs fine. But the PPC version doesn´t start at all.
I always have a bit of a struggle before the PPC version works. What I mostly do is first run non PPC with software rendering, than run it with software rendering and then try the PPC version.
Old 30 March 2020, 21:45   #203
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
I’ll just throw this in here - believe it or not I tracked down a cause of instability in my Ragnarok system to a case fan. Whether it was causing noise or ripple or something on the 5v line, I don’t know, but removing it definitely stopped some random instability that was causing ppc crashes....

Ahhh!! Beliefs require a while to develop. I accept that a little fan could do that. Hmm..*Scratching chin* I suppose I could fiddle with my older X-Surf 100 between Z2 and Z3 modes (hadn't considered that..) or remove it. See if A4K is then stable with SF450. Next, argh..haha, remove my Picasso 4...which would inform me it has problems which I am not noticing at all. Good clue, though, about the fan. I thought your system IS/Was stable with SF600. Hmm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenHD View Post
AC/DC HACKER!, is there a demo of Payback PPC you can download? I don't have that game.

Darrenhd (hehe), Payback can only have PPC added if installing from CD. If....I recall correctly. Or you have to do a work-around. You'll also need Warp3D installed, whether using AGA or Graphics board.
Old 30 March 2020, 21:52   #204
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenHD View Post
Thanks spudje! Downloading now, will test later today!

FYI - I found the Image Mount program on Aminet to mount ISO's, works great on AmigaOS 3.x and I find it very handy!

http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/ImageMount
DiskImageGUI is also very handy.

Quote:
I always have a bit of a struggle before the PPC version works. What I mostly do is first run non PPC with software rendering, than run it with software rendering and then try the PPC version.

The Setup is a little tricky / buggy. If you set the 2D screen mode first with whatever board you have, even if the 3D screen mode is accessible then you'll not have black or grey screen problems. If your Amiga's Screen Modes for P96 or CGX4 are changed, and you've set the Setup modes..it could cause a lock. Make sure both are set before starting.

Also, if you have Picasso96 and CyberGraphX V4 drivers in HWdrivers it can cause problems. They don't tend to "play well with each other". Make sure to be using 4.2 for normal and PPC drivers. Previous versions cause odd effects and have bugs with Payback PPC.
Old 30 March 2020, 23:11   #205
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
DiskImageGUI is also very handy.

The Setup is a little tricky / buggy. If you set the 2D screen mode first with whatever board you have, even if the 3D screen mode is accessible then you'll not have black or grey screen problems. If your Amiga's Screen Modes for P96 or CGX4 are changed, and you've set the Setup modes..it could cause a lock. Make sure both are set before starting.

Also, if you have Picasso96 and CyberGraphX V4 drivers in HWdrivers it can cause problems. They don't tend to "play well with each other". Make sure to be using 4.2 for normal and PPC drivers. Previous versions cause odd effects and have bugs with Payback PPC.
How about running Wipeout 2097 in demo mode? That seems to put the PPC at 89 to 92% usage on my 233MHz 604e. Let that run for 4 hours a good test?
Old 30 March 2020, 23:20   #206
AC/DC HACKER!

Play 1 game with 2097, if you win or killed...let it sit. Same as playing. I've done 2 hours..but sure.

I've removed my X-Surf..changed Memory type to Free Config in CSPPC menu..saved. Checking that. Memory setting hasn't been a problem with A4K PSU but might be for SF450.

Update: Memory had zero effect. Figured. Next...*Tears* Haha, removing Picasso 4.. That's not fun. Haa!

Last edited by AC/DC HACKER!; 30 March 2020 at 23:29.
Old 30 March 2020, 23:48   #207
DarrenHD

Quote:
Play 1 game with 2097, if you win or killed...let it sit. Same as playing. I've done 2 hours..but sure.

I've removed my X-Surf..changed Memory type to Free Config in CSPPC menu..saved. Checking that. Memory setting hasn't been a problem with A4K PSU but might be for SF450.

Update: Memory had zero effect. Figured. Next...*Tears* Haha, removing Picasso 4.. That's not fun. Haa!
Ok first test with Wipeout 2097 did not go so well...not sure how long it was, maybe 20 minutes...left the machine running the demo...came back (maybe after 20 minutes)....and the machine had rebooted.

My RAM was set for 60ns.....changed to 70ns now re-trying...

Edit/Update: 26 minutes and counting at 70ns ram, no crash yet.

Last edited by DarrenHD; 31 March 2020 at 00:23.
Old 31 March 2020, 00:25   #208
AC/DC HACKER!

Haha! Yup... Been there!

Funky-dunky..my 64GB SD Card just croaked. Was testing Payback PPC when it crashed, and reboot my A4K..and card is not recognized by Windows either. My PNY Elite 64GB is toasted. Glad I have some more. Also glad I made dump of the SD 2 days ago. Reminder, Kiddies..backups are GOOD! Haaahaa. Now rebuild with another.

I wouldn't nesessally agree with with leaving it in demo mode. Could come across a bug (highly doubt it). Better to play a game and leave it then after it's over.
Old 31 March 2020, 00:33   #209
DarrenHD

Quote:
Haha! Yup... Been there!

Funky-dunky..my 64GB SD Card just croaked. Was testing Payback PPC when it crashed, and reboot my A4K..and card is not recognized by Windows either. My PNY Elite 64GB is toasted. Glad I have some more. Also glad I made dump of the SD 2 days ago. Reminder, Kiddies..backups are GOOD! Haaahaa. Now rebuild with another.

I wouldn't nesessally agree with with leaving it in demo mode. Could come across a bug (highly doubt it). Better to play a game and leave it then after it's over.
OK. I will let it run...here side by side. Cs ppc on left, cs mk2 with sonnet on right (yes ppc is faster)...37 minutes and counting no crash....both still running.

Update: 2+ Hours both running, no crashes. I guess I need to run my CS PPC ram at 70ns...will do more testing though.

Update: 3+ hours both running, no crashes. I had to turn them off at this point and go out...

Last edited by DarrenHD; 09 August 2020 at 06:24.
Old 31 March 2020, 04:26   #210
AC/DC HACKER!

I just ran my A4K without the Picasso 4, using CVisionPPC with SF450..as I've done in the past..and there is #4000 0003 crash. Only thing I can think of is the CHIP RAM is bad. But...I don't have any problems with A4K PSU. So...I'm still not sure what is causing it.

3+ hours is pretty good for 2097. May I suggest Payback PPC next? I don't consider 1 game to be conclusive. Not for the tests I've done.
Old 31 March 2020, 22:10   #211
DarrenHD

Quote:
I just ran my A4K without the Picasso 4, using CVisionPPC with SF450..as I've done in the past..and there is #4000 0003 crash. Only thing I can think of is the CHIP RAM is bad. But...I don't have any problems with A4K PSU. So...I'm still not sure what is causing it.

3+ hours is pretty good for 2097. May I suggest Payback PPC next? I don't consider 1 game to be conclusive. Not for the tests I've done.
I will do some more stress testing soon. But first I wanted to try out the GREX again. So I put it back in with Voodoo 3 and RTL8029. Did a *clean* install of OS 3.1.4, WarpOS, MUI, etc... and now the encore by night and encore sulaco demos are working...no freezing. I also switched to a lower version of AHI (4.18) using paula.audio... Anyway I'm happy the GREX is working!

Ok so I will install stuff incrementally and keep testing the encore demos and gears demos....then move onto wipeout 2097 and paypack for stress testing!
Old 31 March 2020, 22:25   #212
AC/DC HACKER!

Great about GREX. For sure! Newer AHI don't always work well with other programs. Abuse being one of the games you need the original for. As for the rest, gotcha.
Old 05 April 2020, 21:02   #213
spudje

Mmm, I just tried Quake 2 with software rendering only and that crashed too. So would that start to rule out the Mediator too (still running over the Voodoo)? So either power or CSPPC is at fault. then?

I can't run (Hyperion) Quake 2 over AGA Is there a PPC WOS Quake 2 I can run over AGA?
Old 05 April 2020, 23:05   #214
trixster
Guru Meditating

I think ADoomPPC can use AGA
Old 06 April 2020, 13:16   #215
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Mmm, I just tried Quake 2 with software rendering only and that crashed too. So would that start to rule out the Mediator too (still running over the Voodoo)?
Depends on the guru. 80000002 (bus error) can also happen when the 68k is writing to a failing V3, or a failing mediator.

Memory guru 81000005 can happen if you have part of the voodoo mem as system mem and due to mediator or voodoo failure the memory list gets corrupted.
Old 06 April 2020, 13:26   #216
spudje

Most of the time the system just freezes, so no guru.
Old 06 April 2020, 13:59   #217
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Some debuggers like COP can be very handy in this case.
Old 06 April 2020, 20:02   #218
AC/DC HACKER!

@Trixster

I've been pondering about your A4K, SF600, and the fan you removed..that your system then became more stable. What was your fan connected to again? Before the fan was removed, your PPC was not stable for 2+ hours running PPC games, correct?
Old 06 April 2020, 20:40   #219
trixster
Guru Meditating

That's correct. a 12V fan running at 5V off a molex.

My system is now stable - tested over many hours with warp3d BlitzQuake, Quake3 and Clickboom Quake2, no issues with 2 different graphics cards and 2 different types of ppc pci card.
Old 06 April 2020, 23:27   #220
AC/DC HACKER!

@ Trixster

Hmm..okay. I started pondering.. I had my IDE CF connected to a molex, then my SCSI2SD V6 flippy header connected to another, and my CVisionPPC connected to another. I noticed I didn't have them in a line on the 450's cable. So I gave that a shot from bottom to top, then reversed it. Nada for differences. Your Amiga-Kit adapter is not modified, so I wonder if something in the wires or?...isn't correct. Consider odering another from eBay before I go SF600 route. Sometimes it best to check the simple first...and since I'm not good enough with wires yet...I don't want to modify this modified adapter.

I'm trying to figure what questions to ask you to pick your brain more.

This IS where you got it from? https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-SF600...6208475&sr=8-2

Do you have a floppy header connected to the CyberStormPPC?

Last edited by AC/DC HACKER!; 07 April 2020 at 02:01.