Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 20 October 2020, 00:31   #181
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Dev update #13 now...

Main updates are all internal - hence voice over on this one (plus I have a stotting head ache).

- All scenes now included in the A1200 memory (this was difficult)
- Ross' loader used to read packed race track data, this means making custom race tracks is easer.
- Level configuration included in the game.

Enjoy, Geezer

Might release and ADF... not sure yet.

[ Show youtube player ]
My god, this is such a good work. holy crap, Domark would had $$$ in the eyes with someone like you to convert the atari games softs on the Amiga.

I even wonder if Badlands could benefit from your source code, since it works more or less the same !
Old 20 October 2020, 09:25   #182
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
My god, this is such a good work. holy crap, Domark would had $$$ in the eyes with someone like you to convert the atari games softs on the Amiga.

I even wonder if Badlands could benefit from your source code, since it works more or less the same !
The funny thing is that I didn't even know Bad Lands was an Atari arcade game, I thought it was a rip off of Super Sprint to the Amiga.

Bad lands arcade has a resolution of 336x240 so the port that was already done looks pretty decent, I've not played it though. I don't understand why Atari dropped the resolution as it's pretty much the same game with different gfx.

The nice thing about my version of Super Sprint is that it's in hi-res lace mode, I don't remember many/(if any) games with that setup.

Some more tech detail.

One 512x384x16 colour screen buffer takes up 98kb of ram, I have to double buffer the upper and lower tracks so that's 400kb of chip ram eaten up, i also keep a post buffer so that's another 196kb so near 600kb of chip ram just in screen buffers!!!

While the explosions and choppers look small, they'll actually 64x116x16 colour sprites so in Amiga terms they are quite huge. Some may ask why I chose to use the cars as the hardware sprites and not use the 64 wide sprites for the explosion and chopper, the reason was down to the colour palette - I simply didn't have enough colours for all of the cars and track in the upper 16 colours for the cars so I had to use the extra AGA capability of a completely seperate pallette bank for sprites.

As part of the executable I keep all of the scene assets compressed, when the non-ingame scenes appear I unpack them into that 400kb screen buffer - so in effect I have my own custom memory management going on inside that 400Kb.

The music modules I have to keep unpacked in ram, you'll notice they start playing straight away at the end of the race - nothing I could do about that.

Still lots of performance improvement can be made. I'm enjoying codng this game for sure.
Old 20 October 2020, 12:20   #183
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Bad lands arcade has a resolution of 336x240 so the port that was already done looks pretty decent, I've not played it though. I don't understand why Atari dropped the resolution as it's pretty much the same game with different gfx.
Yup, Badlands on the Amiga is a great port... same as Indy Heat and Ivan ''Ironman'' Stewart's Super Off Road

Quote:
The nice thing about my version of Super Sprint is that it's in hi-res lace mode, I don't remember many/(if any) games with that setup.
That's great and all, but if the game "flickers" constantly like in your videos then it won't be fun to play unfortunately.
Old 20 October 2020, 12:33   #184
nikosidis

DamienD: Flicker fixer
Old 20 October 2020, 13:10   #185
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post

That's great and all, but if the game "flickers" constantly like in your videos then it won't be fun to play unfortunately.
Fortunately, the Youtube videos make the interlace look horrible.

You can download example ADF's from the Zone.
Old 20 October 2020, 13:57   #186
nikosidis

Quote:

It is very difficult to record from CRT exactly how it looks. I'm sorry to say but the flicker is annoying. I would recommend a flicker fixer for this game, not that I have one. It's been talk about this before. There are other AGA screenmodes that flicker less but there are drawbacks. I'm here if you like someone to test with other screenmodes etc. Multiscan - Productivity might be perfect if fast enough. Got the same resolution.

Last edited by nikosidis; 20 October 2020 at 14:07.
Old 20 October 2020, 14:19   #187
AMike

Quote:
I can only think of three games. (Super Skidmarks, Biing, Darkseed)
Great work - looking forward to the game.
Old 20 October 2020, 14:21   #188
mcgeezer

The screen mode will be staying, if people don't like it then I'm afraid the game won't be to your liking so would advise not to play it (the Amiga has plenty of top down racers in standard resolution).

I calculated this issue being a risk when I started developing the game and I deemed it still being worthwhile to code, some will disagree with my decision but I can live with that.

No more talk about flicker please, I've heard it already.

Edit:- I'll add an option in the game to select for a VGA monitor, this will switch it to 640x480 mode with non-interlacing.

Last edited by mcgeezer; 20 October 2020 at 14:51.
Old 20 October 2020, 15:04   #189
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMike View Post
I can only think of three games. (Super Skidmarks, Biing, Darkseed)
Great work - looking forward to the game.
Probably "Sim City 2000" and "Wet: The Sexy Empire" also.

There may be a few more, but can't be bothered thinking further.
Old 20 October 2020, 15:32   #190
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:

Hi Graeme, it's been a long time since I tried a version of SuperSprintAGA. But with SuperSprint_EAB3 noticed a strange regular flickering on video sync (not present in the versions I had tried previously).
As if from time to time it fails to update one of the interlaced fields in time.

I hope to have time this evening to look at it better.

Cheers.
Old 20 October 2020, 17:06   #191
nikosidis

Quote:
The screen mode will be staying, if people don't like it then I'm afraid the game won't be to your liking so would advise not to play it (the Amiga has plenty of top down racers in standard resolution).

I calculated this issue being a risk when I started developing the game and I deemed it still being worthwhile to code, some will disagree with my decision but I can live with that.

No more talk about flicker please, I've heard it already.

Edit:- I'll add an option in the game to select for a VGA monitor, this will switch it to 640x480 mode with non-interlacing.
That is great. I really like the resolution. Very cool with the small cars!!
Old 20 October 2020, 18:04   #192
AMike

Quote:
Probably "Sim City 2000" and "Wet: The Sexy Empire" also.
Right, I had forgotten these games.

@mcgeezer
The resolution is a plus - ideal for this kind of game.
Old 20 October 2020, 19:29   #193
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Yup, Badlands on the Amiga is a great port... same as Indy Heat and Ivan ''Ironman'' Stewart's Super Off Road

Badlands is an ST port. Just by looking the main title screen, you see the game has the usual ST palette bug problem.
Old 20 October 2020, 20:40   #194
mcgeezer

If you want to try what is showed in the video then you can look in the zone for a new ADF
Old 20 October 2020, 20:52   #195
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Badlands is an ST port. Just by looking the main title screen, you see the game has the usual ST palette bug problem.
So?

The game plays well and is fun. That's what I care about.

IMHO it's a decent port
Old 20 October 2020, 21:57   #196
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
So?

The game plays well and is fun. That's what I care about.

IMHO it's a decent port
Ah well, it's just because Domark never shined on the Amiga really on Atari Games :/
Old 21 October 2020, 01:03   #197
alpine9000

I love the fact that this is interlaced.

Other than that, it' shaping up amazingly well, can't wait for it to be finished.
Old 24 October 2020, 01:57   #198
agermose

Quote:
Dev update #13 now...

Main updates are all internal - hence voice over on this one (plus I have a stotting head ache).

- All scenes now included in the A1200 memory (this was difficult)
- Ross' loader used to read packed race track data, this means making custom race tracks is easer.
- Level configuration included in the game.

Enjoy, Geezer

Might release and ADF... not sure yet.

[ Show youtube player ]
Unbelievable . Where were you when the gaming industry were messing up arcade conversions, back in the day?
Old 24 October 2020, 10:13   #199
jotd
This cat is no more

to be honest with old game devs, mcgeezer is talented and works hard, no doubt, but he also benefits from modern tools, emulator, cross assembler, debugger, plus internet, MAME & ripping tools, EAB community support, and all info on hardware, which makes the task (slightly) easier.

Back in the day, devs had lousy tools mostly, deadlines, bosses, and sometimes the only original material was the arcade cabinet in free play... And there's a lot of good arcade conversions (Ocean, Sales Curve). That doesn't mean that Tiertex doesn't suck though.

Don't get me wrong, Graheme is talented and works hard. With the same modern tools, a lot of people produced ... nothing I personally had a hard time pulling a very simple game off... and it's still not 50 fps on 68k.

(I hope I'm not going to be lambasted for this message. I love mcgeezer past & future work)
Old 24 October 2020, 13:36   #200
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
to be honest with old game devs, mcgeezer is talented and works hard, no doubt, but he also benefits from modern tools, emulator, cross assembler, debugger, plus internet, MAME & ripping tools, EAB community support, and all info on hardware, which makes the task (slightly) easier.

Back in the day, devs had lousy tools mostly, deadlines, bosses, and sometimes the only original material was the arcade cabinet in free play... And there's a lot of good arcade conversions (Ocean, Sales Curve). That doesn't mean that Tiertex doesn't suck though.

Don't get me wrong, Graheme is talented and works hard. With the same modern tools, a lot of people produced ... nothing I personally had a hard time pulling a very simple game off... and it's still not 50 fps on 68k.

(I hope I'm not going to be lambasted for this message. I love mcgeezer past & future work)

Yep, everything you said there is correct and i agree completely.
Other than coders on the ST i didnt have access to Amiga stuff other than the hardware reference manual, as a young lad with a paper round too i didnt have enough money for a harddrive.

If i had been a couple of years older i probably would have been a games dev and my life would be different, i’m not complaining though - i’d hate to do it for a living.