English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 03 April 2024, 22:49   #181
pixie

The latest final fight enhanced sees Denise as an Amiga OCS only. Does anyone have had the same problem? I tested it on 2.2.1

PS- it works in the nightly build
NB- in windows to enter into Amiga I click with middle mouse button, any idea how to do it on macbook touchpad?

Last edited by pixie; 05 April 2024 at 00:07.
Old 04 April 2024, 17:08   #182
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Final Fight Enhanced works fine in A500 ECS KS2.04 2MB Chip + 0.5 Slow/Fast + enabled "Fake ECS Denise" in Amiga/System/Model.

Post #173:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiCiJi View Post
support Final Fight Enhanced
therefore added option to fake ECS Denise.
The game reads DENISEID register to check if there is at least a A500+.
This option disappears when ECS Denise is emulated.

Last edited by amilo3438; 04 April 2024 at 17:14.
Old 04 April 2024, 22:22   #183
PiCiJi

Brataccas: audio problems are the same on real ECS
Bundesliga Manager Professional: what the ... mouse movement decides if the game stops at loading or not. Furthermore it accesses unmapped memory. needs to investigate more.
always works on real system. IPF -> HFEv3 -> Gotek
Old 05 April 2024, 14:27   #184
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
Bundesliga Manager Professional: what the ... mouse movement decides if the game stops at loading or not. Furthermore it accesses unmapped memory. needs to investigate more.
always works on real system. IPF -> HFEv3 -> Gotek
I checked again and it works in Denise 221 and nightly 1030, although at disk location 11:1 a quick glitch appears at the top of the screen.
But from nightly 1031 (improve amiga disk emulation) it stops at 11:1 ?!
So there you have it, an interesting discovery.

PS.
I also noticed on WinUAE 5300 beta2 that some quick glitch appears on screen top at track 11?! Does the same occur on the real machine?

Last edited by amilo3438; 05 April 2024 at 14:34.
Old 05 April 2024, 19:08   #185
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
NB- in windows to enter into Amiga I click with middle mouse button, any idea how to do it on macbook touchpad?
Control, Amiga Configuration, Hotkeys and there change the key for capture mouse!

Note: Click again to Hotkeys to return back to joypad settings!
Old 05 April 2024, 23:02   #186
PiCiJi

Quote:
Originally Posted by amilo3438
I also noticed on WinUAE 5300 beta2 that some quick glitch appears on screen top at track 11?! Does the same occur on the real machine?
yes

This game doesn't always load even on the original. (crash on track 11) I had 3 failures out of 10 attempts.
If you leave the mouse alone, it always works. Move the mouse up and down in the title screen without stopping and then press the mouse button
there is a chance for failure.

The problem is input polling.

"static" input polling
With a traditional input polling in emulators, all input devices are queried once per frame at a fixed location (usually between the frames).
If the emulated system then queries somewhere in the frame, it falls back on these values, which in the worst case can be 20 ms old and may no longer show the current state.

Usually, this setting only affects the input LAG. In very rare cases (e.g. C64 WWF has the same problem) this can lead to game errors or as in this case crashes.
Changing the query position in the frame will either result in the behavior: it always works or it never works.
On the real system, however, it works with a certain probability, which is usually very high. Otherwise, the software developers themselves would have a problem with it.

"dynamic" input polling. (JIT -> Just in time polling)
This is much closer to the real system, as it checks the input devices when the emulated system actually needs the input.
In the last nightly there is a bug (because of Backgammon) that causes JIT polling to behave like "static" polling when using the mouse.

nightly coming later
Old 06 April 2024, 14:38   #187
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Castle of Dr. Brain v1.000 (1992)(Sierra)(US)[1287]
Castle of Dr. Brain v1.0 (1992)(Sierra)(DE)(de-en)[0304]

Stops loading at track 41 after changing the disks to start disk again?!

Checked also in WinUAE latest beta on A500, A500+, A1200 and it stops there too?!

Not sure does this game need some special configuration?
Old 06 April 2024, 17:57   #188
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Champion Driver (1991)(Idea)[1292] ... it stops when need to load the race? (in WinUAE beta too)

Champion Driver (1991)(Idea)[cr QTX] ... same game but .adf file = it works but have problem when go to Enter Shop = sound go crazy? (in WinUAE beta too)
Old 07 April 2024, 11:03   #189
PiCiJi

Quote:
Castle of Dr. Brain v1.000 (1992)(Sierra)(US)[1287]
Castle of Dr. Brain v1.0 (1992)(Sierra)(DE)(de-en)[0304]
you need two disk drives

would be helpful if the game would let the user know this.
Old 07 April 2024, 11:32   #190
PiCiJi

Quote:
Champion Driver (1991)(Idea)[1292]
manual protection

a little help:
Map the savestate save/load functions on your controller's shoulder buttons. If you see the green protection map, save state. Then try the keyboard buttons. If you're wrong, just reload the savegame.
Old 07 April 2024, 12:02   #191
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
you need two disk drives

would be helpful if the game would let the user know this.
That's right, it needs 2 disk drives to run! I totally missed it, I guess because so far the tested ones worked with one disk drive. (something I need to consider from now on)

Quote:
manual protection

a little help:
Map the savestate save/load functions on your controller's shoulder buttons. If you see the green protection map, save state. Then try the keyboard buttons. If you're wrong, just reload the savegame.
So the game is protected! (ugh, I'll have to start reading the instructions for the games as well)

What about .adf version and the problem when go to Enter Shop = sound go crazy? (Does it happens on a real machine too?)

BTW.
One more thing, I notice in the latest denise nightly versions that the scanline option in presentation tab is dimmed?

Last edited by amilo3438; 07 April 2024 at 12:25.
Old 07 April 2024, 16:44   #192
PiCiJi

Quote:
What about .adf version and the problem when go to Enter Shop = sound go crazy? (Does it happens on a real machine too?)
yeah, one wonders that the cracker did not notice this or the ADF is generally broken.

Quote:
One more thing, I notice in the latest denise nightly versions that the scanline option in presentation tab is dimmed?
Yes, for the RGB option, it is removed. Do you want to see scanlines as the only CRT effect? I can also turn it back on. But I think it's only the combination of effects that makes a CRT.
If you have more than an Intel onboard graphics chip, I recommend using the CRT shaders from RetroArch, especially for Amiga: shaders_slang/bezel/koko-aio/Presets-4.1/monitor-bloom.slangp
Old 07 April 2024, 20:20   #193
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
Yes, for the RGB option, it is removed. Do you want to see scanlines as the only CRT effect? I can also turn it back on.
It won't be necessary! I found a shader that is not too heavy for my gfx card and that does what I wanted: shaders_slang/scanelines/scaneline.slangp

PS. This with shaders and viewing different ones in real time is really cool!

EDIT: Found another one maybe even better and sharper: shaders_slang/crt/zfast-crt.slangp (currently my favorite)

EDIT2: Maybe a little too contrasting and hard on the eyes so I go back to the first choice!

EDIT3: When I change a parameter in the shader and then go to options/save preferences, when reloading the emulator, the shader parameters are back to default?
How to save preferences with changed parameters in the shader?

Last edited by amilo3438; 08 April 2024 at 16:08.
Old 08 April 2024, 21:41   #194
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Corruption v1.11 (1988)(Rainbird)[0308] ... the title screen glitches badly if ECS (just for info)

Regarding previous post EDIT3:
I change parameters in that scaneline.slangp shader inside denise emulator, but it seems it goes on default values every time when exit the emulator.
How to make shader parameter changes saved? With options/save preferences it does not keep shader parameter changes.

Last edited by amilo3438; 08 April 2024 at 21:48.
Old 08 April 2024, 21:49   #195
PiCiJi

nightly:
- add one more firmware slot
- read zero when accessing unmapped memory
- improve dynamic sampling (fix Bundesliga )
- improve keyboard emulation
- add strequ emulation
- add one more display line (shows the last shorter line) (only visible if there is no cropping active)

Quote:
When I change a parameter in the shader and then go to options/save preferences, when reloading the emulator, the shader parameters are back to default?
How to save preferences with changed parameters in the shader?
The shaders are now an external module (e.g. copyright reasons) from the emulator's point of view and the parameters are no longer saved with the emulator options, only the selected shader itself. If all shader parameters are adjusted, the changed parameters can be saved as a reference to a shader preset. In the shader menu there is a save button. A file dialog can be used to save the changed parameters in a file. (reference to original shader) However, you should not overwrite the original shader files.

Last edited by PiCiJi; 08 April 2024 at 22:01.
Old 08 April 2024, 22:05   #196
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Post #186
Quote:
"dynamic" input polling. (JIT -> Just in time polling)
This is much closer to the real system, as it checks the input devices when the emulated system actually needs the input.
In the last nightly there is a bug (because of Backgammon) that causes JIT polling to behave like "static" polling when using the mouse.

nightly coming later
Post #195
Quote:
nightly:
- improve dynamic sampling (fix Bundesliga )
Did you meant Backgammon instead of Bundesliga? (possible lapsus)

Quote:
The shaders are now an external module (e.g. copyright reasons) from the emulator's point of view and the parameters are no longer saved with the emulator options, only the selected shader itself. If all shader parameters are adjusted, the changed parameters can be saved as a reference to a shader preset. In the shader menu there is a save button. A file dialog can be used to save the changed parameters in a file. (reference to original shader) However, you should not overwrite the original shader files.
Thanks for the explanation!

Edit: Managed to save parameter changes and it works fine!

Last edited by amilo3438; 08 April 2024 at 22:31.
Old 08 April 2024, 22:44   #197
PiCiJi

Quote:
Did you meant Backgammon instead of Bundesliga? (possible lapsus)
in fact, both
The Backgammon fix was bad and broke Bundesliga.
Backgammon (LMB pressed), Bundesliga (LMB trigger position) and Archer Maclean's Pool (keyboard) need very realistic input polling.
simply polling one time per frame at fixed position (static) is not enough.
"dynamic" polling is default option.

For example, ranAhead can evaluate the inputs much earlier, but it is not realistic input polling. This is not a general problem, only for very few programs.

Edit: If you save shader parameters to a separate file, you can also save this new shader reference file as a favorite, or save it in the emulator settings. This way, an edited shader doesn't have to be manually reloaded after restarting the emulator.

Edit2: too fast movement in Backgammon (LMB pressed) causes mouse jumps (same on real machine)

Last edited by PiCiJi; 08 April 2024 at 22:51.
Old 08 April 2024, 23:08   #198
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
Edit: If you save shader parameters to a separate file, you can also save this new shader reference file as a favorite, or save it in the emulator settings. This way, an edited shader doesn't have to be manually reloaded after restarting the emulator.
Yes, that's exactly what I did and it works great. (I also checked in notepad whether the recorded file refers to the shader path)
Old 09 April 2024, 13:02   #199
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
... and Archer Maclean's Pool (keyboard) need very realistic input polling.
simply polling one time per frame at fixed position (static) is not enough.
"dynamic" polling is default option.
I've also noticed that with the Threaded Renderer enabled, keyboard input on Archer Maclean's Pool works better for some reason than when it's disabled. (even with static)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crazy Cars (1987)(Titus)[2959] ... stops loading at some point in the game - Malibu race (last track)(Note:CrazyCars_0 in save state and A500 KS12 was KS13 OCS 512 config)(Checked in WinUAE A500 KS12 OCS 512 config: fine)
Crazy Cars (19xx)(Titus)[compilation Action d'Enfer][2960] ... stops at some point (Note:CrazyCars in save state and A500 KS13 ECS 512+512 config)

Savestate files in TheZone with 2 different configurations!

EDIT: It works in denise with A500 KS12 OCS 512 also! (in The Zone) (above 1st test was wrong with A500 KS13 OCS 512 config) Edit: Now, not sure if it was KS13 at 1st above test or is it happening randomly!?
Now, not sure should the game work with KS13 as it crashes before starting the 4th track Arizona? (in The Zone) Edit: Checked with KS13 in WinUAE= good!

EDIT2: Note: Used denise for testing was last nightly 1034! (previous are incompatible with savestate files in The Zone!)
Also, tried again with WinUAE and my standard config: A500 ECS KS13 512+512 and no problem! So must be something with denise or it is happening randomly also on a real machine?

EDIT3: Testing again in denise nightly 1030 with standard config A500 ECS KS13 512+512 and no problem! (so something is broken in some of newer nightly versions)
EDIT4: Checked denise nightly 1032= good! (so it must be broken in 1034)
EDIT5: Chacked denise nightly 1034 with standard config A500 ECS KS13 512+512 and no problem! (this is crazy and one of savestate's file proves that it crashed, but what was the cause of it?)
So, let see, all of tests from EDIT was on Crazy Cars (1987)(Titus)[2959] file. Savestate files was in OCS 512 KS12/KS13 and from EDIT3 all tests in ECS KS13 512+512.

All these tests from EDIT3 to 5 that were good were done on a fresh booted Denise. I'm not sure if a hard reset, which I know I use a lot in testing, could cause some possible problems!?
And the disk was always inserted after the hand with the diskette appeared. (meaning no hard reset with a disc already inserted)
I know of some demos who are sensitive about that, but I'm not sure if that's the case here as well.
In any case, there is a problematic savestate file in the Zone, as proof that it happened.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT6: (the next day)
I put in The Zone the another savestate file that crashes with KS12. (the 1st one from yesterday)
So, in The Zone there are two savestate files, one with KS13 and the other with KS12, that crashes at different locations.
Savestate itself is recorded so that the next track is loaded first, where it asks to press the fire, and then everything freezes.

I tested again today and was able to finish the game without any problems. (on denise nightly 1034)
I couldn't say what was the reason for the problems with the game yesterday, but I know it was frustrating to not been able to figure out what is happening.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by amilo3438; 10 April 2024 at 14:02.
Old 10 April 2024, 22:15   #200
PiCiJi

You think the loaded save game is causing the error? Maybe I didn't store the last changes properly in the savegame.
I'll take a look.