English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 09 November 2014, 13:35   #41
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
I'm pretty sure only the 1-31 swap is necessary in this flash board application, the 21 to bent up pin 31 part is to force the 27c200/27c400 into 16bit mode.

K, thanks for the info i will do some tests

edit; for the A500 v3 and 5 motherboard i can simply remove a pin and run a jumper wire, for those that would need this, let me know and i can make the change when building. I have added 2 solder bridges to my circuit that will make the next batch simpler
to mod

Last edited by kipper2k; 09 November 2014 at 15:42.
Old 09 November 2014, 17:48   #42
Jope
-

Yeh, the easiest way would be to just add a jumper that shorts 1 to 31.. The wrong pin is NC in the old A500/A2000 mobos.
Old 11 November 2014, 04:22   #43
kipper2k

here is a peek at the A1200 rom board it has the same capabilities as the 1 rom board...

The 4 pin header on the right hand side is used for remote switch etc... etc... etc
Old 11 November 2014, 07:29   #44
seb132
French in Australia

Send a message via MSN to seb132 Send a message via Yahoo to seb132
When will these beauties be available for sale ?
I'd love 1.3 + 3.1 (or 3.9) on A600 and A1200... To me 4 ROMS is a bit too much.lol
Old 11 November 2014, 22:38   #45
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb132 View Post
When will these beauties be available for sale ?
I'd love 1.3 + 3.1 (or 3.9) on A600 and A1200... To me 4 ROMS is a bit too much.lol

I should have the boards hopefully late next week and will give them a test. I think most people would want the 1mb 2 image kickstart. i kinda like the idea of a quad 1.2, 1.3, 2.05 and 3.1 for the a500 and 1.3, 3.1, 3.9 and another one to fill up the 2mb chip for the a1200
Old 12 November 2014, 06:02   #46
dirkies
Zone Friend

Definitely interested in this, esp since i still did not hear back from Amikit why their 3.1 rom does not work on my rev5 a500, losing hope they actually
will solve this. May ask for a refund. Kipper may come to the rescue once more!
Old 12 November 2014, 07:38   #47
demolition
Unregistered User

Maybe this has already been answered but will it support 1MB ROMs (most 3.9s probably are)? And in both 1 chip and 2 chip variants?
Old 13 November 2014, 20:51   #48
Knight2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
I kinda like the idea of a quad 1.2, 1.3, 2.05 and 3.1 for the a500
I TOTALLY agree with you .

Is there a real price difference between 1mb and 2mb chips? I mean for A500 having 1.2 and 1.3 for games and 2.05 or upper for workbench is like being in heaven.

kipper2k, you were talking about a special way to switch between ROMs, can you tell more or do you wait for the patent to be registered?
To me, a key on the keyboard plus sound feedback is enough, I just wish not fighting with the thing to get the right ROM activated. Of course the ROM activated shall stay until the switching trick is done once again.

BTW, very great job!
Old 13 November 2014, 23:37   #49
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2011 View Post
I TOTALLY agree with you .

Is there a real price difference between 1mb and 2mb chips? I mean for A500 having 1.2 and 1.3 for games and 2.05 or upper for workbench is like being in heaven.

kipper2k, you were talking about a special way to switch between ROMs, can you tell more or do you wait for the patent to be registered?
To me, a key on the keyboard plus sound feedback is enough, I just wish not fighting with the thing to get the right ROM activated. Of course the ROM activated shall stay until the switching trick is done once again.

BTW, very great job!
There won't actually be much of a difference between the 2 ROM chips, i am having difficulty getting the 2mb 29f160 chip to work, it just doesn't want to boot any of the images. The 1mb version works fine. No errors when programming and verifying and images do work fine in testing

The way that i intend to make the ROM boot the correct one will be achieved by a couple of steps, first off, the default loading ROM will be the one that you use the most and that will be achieved by its address location in the ROM. the way to boot the other image(s) will be by saying "Brian says run 3.1" ... I'll post a video The images should also be able to be selected by toggle switch and hopefully key press as well if i got the circuit right

Once i have the board working i'll make the circuit public domain, it is a VERY!! simple circuit and has a lot of uses around the home, car, beer fridge and other things that need a little help.. there, said too much

Does anyone have a AM29f160 flash rom working with 4 x 512K images ? I can get the 27C160 working for 4 images but the 29f160 does not want to play, seems to want to load then fails to initialize. I've had success getting 2 images to work on it but not all 4.

Last edited by kipper2k; 14 November 2014 at 00:17.
Old 20 November 2014, 03:14   #50
kipper2k

vadeo of rom select

Hi All,

Here is a little video i done of an Amiga 600 using a dual boot rom and my new Rom select gizmo. The gizmo doesn't need any switches, no holes need to be cut in the case, keys do not need to be pressed and the little gizmo will be able to replace anyone's multirom chips that use a toggle switch. The video shows me selecting the rom to load, i did not touch the amiga, and there are no hidden switches that i was flipping to make it work. I ran out of 29f800's so i am waiting for more to arrive. I'll reveal the secret in a couple of days \

Here is a link to the video.

http://www.kipper2k.com/dualboot/dualboot.html
Old 20 November 2014, 03:56   #51
supaduper

awesome !! want one now Kip,excellent work dude !
Old 20 November 2014, 11:36   #52
dirkies
Zone Friend

I think it has to do with a capacitor that if you switch off long enough it switches to the other rom. Short cold cycles will keep the current rom enabled.
...unless it is voice controlled

Good work as usual from Kipper!
Old 20 November 2014, 14:10   #53
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkies View Post
I think it has to do with a capacitor that if you switch off long enough it switches to the other rom. Short cold cycles will keep the current rom enabled.
...unless it is voice controlled

Good work as usual from Kipper!
I was actually thinking of doing a capacitice touch circuit (more for fun than anything else) but decided not to. The answer to what rom boots is actually in my hand that turns on the power supply somehow
Old 20 November 2014, 14:59   #54
Knight2011

Quote:
I was actually thinking of doing a capacitice touch circuit (more for fun than anything else) but decided not to. The answer to what rom boots is actually in my hand that turns on the power supply somehow
My guess: you have a smart watch being able to read in your mind then send the info to the cloud which computes the data and then send back the ROM choosen to a 3G/4G modem installed inside your A600

Or more simply you have a magnet in your hand and there's a reed switch to detect the magnetic field :-)
But BTW, having a reed switch inside the Amiga case and you apply a magnet above the reed switch (only at start) when you wish to toggle the ROM...and the rest of the time the ROM cannot toggle!
Old 20 November 2014, 15:15   #55
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2011 View Post
My guess: you have a smart watch being able to read in your mind then send the info to the cloud which computes the data and then send back the ROM choosen to a 3G/4G modem installed inside your A600

Or more simply you have a magnet in your hand and there's a reed switch to detect the magnetic field :-)
But BTW, having a reed switch inside the Amiga case and you apply a magnet above the reed switch (only at start) when you wish to toggle the ROM...and the rest of the time the ROM cannot toggle!

Hehe, no magnetism., no reed switches or relays, just a simple logic chip being controlled somehow to either output 0 or 1 which sends logic 0 or 1 to A18 on the ROM allowing either 1.3ks or 3.1ks to load.

P.S. The Amiga 500 actually has one of these IC chips in it (albeit multi output instead of single output and of course much more bigger. Take a look at post 33, on the right hand side the small circuit board is the control board for it, you can see where the tiny 6 pin IC sits. The board itself can be half that size if it only catered for dual boot roms but i set it up to allow for quad boot as well.

Last edited by kipper2k; 20 November 2014 at 15:23.
Old 21 November 2014, 03:38   #56
demolition
Unregistered User

A photo-diode perhaps? Although triggering on the light from the room is quite dependent on current light conditions..
Old 21 November 2014, 04:23   #57
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
A photo-diode perhaps? Although triggering on the light from the room is quite dependent on current light conditions..
Give this man a cigar , the resistance spread of the LDR is enough that it can distinguish between low light and ambient light and it can be adjusted quite well via trimmers and its physical location. In the video the photocell is actually located in the grill of the A600. The LDR slid in quite nicely with no glue or tape.
Using my right hand didn't cast a shadow over the LDR and it booted 3.1. Using my left hand cast a shadow over the LDR causing the computer to boot 1.3KS. The sensitivity can be adjusted well enough so that triggering 1.3KS requires very low light. It can be adjusted so that you would need to pretty well block most of the light by putting your hand over the grill to cause the LDR to trigger a low light condition

Last edited by kipper2k; 21 November 2014 at 04:39.
Old 21 November 2014, 16:11   #58
Knight2011

Quote:
Give this man a cigar , the resistance spread of the LDR is enough that it can distinguish between low light and ambient light and it can be adjusted quite well via trimmers and its physical location. In the video the photocell is actually located in the grill of the A600. The LDR slid in quite nicely with no glue or tape.
Using my right hand didn't cast a shadow over the LDR and it booted 3.1. Using my left hand cast a shadow over the LDR causing the computer to boot 1.3KS. The sensitivity can be adjusted well enough so that triggering 1.3KS requires very low light. It can be adjusted so that you would need to pretty well block most of the light by putting your hand over the grill to cause the LDR to trigger a low light condition
And what do you think about using a reed switch? It's even more simple and requires no fine tune according to ambient light...and moreover it can be placed almost everywhere in the case.
Old 21 November 2014, 16:16   #59
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
What about us Amiga gamers that always play during the night with the lights turned off? Won't that way always default to "low light" and load a certain kickstart?
Old 21 November 2014, 16:35   #60
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
What about us Amiga gamers that always play during the night with the lights turned off? Won't that way always default to "low light" and load a certain kickstart?

Haha if you smoke, just draw on the cigarette at the appropriate time . Don't forget that i plan for this to be able to load via keypresses, toggle switch or the optical sensor so there options for the night owls.

@Knight2011,

What do you think would be an appropriate way to activate a reed switch, i know there are lots of different types of reed switches.