English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

View Poll Results: What could be the signal for you to buy the new amiga ?
don't need a signal, i'll buy anyway. 7 9.21%
I don't want to buy by internet it must hit the shelves. 4 5.26%
A great launch Publicity. 2 2.63%
The os4.0 or better. 6 7.89%
The support of some game designers (team17,psygnosis,...). 17 22.37%
Before it must have firefox,openoffice and some kind of program 10 13.16%
Nothing. 30 39.47%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08 July 2007, 22:37   #61
Dr. Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalion View Post
@Raid27

I'm don't want a super Amiga. (Would definately like though) but i want the power you can get from actual PPC processort and some two or three year old model of that cpu. I don't think thats too much.
I doubt Microsoft would worry about a new Amiga. Their power is far too big to get panic when a "new" computer platform would be sold.
True, the only way to let the m$ monkies run is by some Os that can do all and evrything
From reading most file types to running console stuf.
Having a "responcive" defence. So any hack atempt gets counterd in some way
But this will meen will be way out of the Amiga way

My guess is it would be cool if there would come a Amiga that can run stuf from 1.0 up to 3.1 and then futher whit 4.0 and maybe even a bit higher.
(and whit complete tosec pack)
Old 08 July 2007, 23:53   #62
mrbob2

Erm, can i just add that Mr gates and co dont make PCs.. They make windows and have spent billions doing so, nvidia and ati spend billions on Gfx cards, ram chips have dedicated companies makin them, intel and AMD spend billions on processors, Amiga if they do release hardware will probly have a few thousand. How on gods earth could they rival anything? Amiga is just an OS producing company. LINUX is an alternative to windows and MAC OS and thats a good friendly OS but isnt exactly "blowing microsoft away" is it? The amiga is DEAD, long live emulation!
Old 09 July 2007, 08:30   #63
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

I'd buy when I have a fast computer than can run Amiga Classic progs (inc games) and also run modern apps like Word, Excel etc...

Oh wait.. its called a fast PC running Win/Linux and WinUAE/UAE.... Face it the Amiga AINT coming back!
Old 09 July 2007, 18:29   #64
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
I'd buy when I have a fast computer than can run Amiga Classic progs (inc games) and also run modern apps like Word, Excel etc...

Oh wait.. its called a fast PC running Win/Linux and WinUAE/UAE.... Face it the Amiga AINT coming back!
ahmen!
Old 10 October 2014, 12:04   #65
Kola

Quote:
Underpowered and lacking in software support with an OS that's realistically ten years too late.
ahhhh, you mean the business model for the 1200? haha

eeeeee I joke but the 1200 was a fantastic machine 2 / 4 years too late. And that is a life time in doggy years. (Computer years)

If only commodore didn't commit suicide in the first place they could be what Apple are today.

But its over. Long gone and ancient history. If I say Amiga on my Facebook account people go, yeah I remember faintly, or they dont have a clue. Of course this site give sa totally distorted view of that as everyone here myself included has the Amiga in their heart.

But to the average Jo who is very happy with their iPhone, so much so they line up like sheep to get the very latest model that is at best a different shape and 10% better than the model they have, of they cannot wait to be relived of there money to buy a PS4, even though until a few years at least all the games look as good as a PS3 (Ive seen my mates)

In these days of Sheeple who simply hand over their money to these corporate monopolies do you honestly think anyone is going to buy yet another new new new new new underdog amiga?

I share your dream of it coming back but better still I fantasise in another reality commodore didn't commit suicide and are now the dominant platform and all of there machines had total compatibility with gems from the C64 onwards. But I realise this is only a dream.

Whilst I amdire your spirit Turrican3 I just don't see it. But would hate to dampen your enthusiasm.

Ultimately, the only chance of a new amiga is if Apple buy out the brand and tell everyone to buy it. Then you'll get your dream as the Steeple line up and do as there told. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

Click this link for a demo
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 10 October 2014, 13:26   #66
Amigan123

Smile Amiga Returns

As I see it at the moment even the consoles are now basically pc based with basically the same gpu systems.

The best way Amiga could make a comeback to start would be as a brand new high performance deskstop os, that works better than windows , linux or mac osx.

If it was good enough and built the right way it could work, look at the mess Windows 8 is in, never been a better time while windows is looking so weak, and company's like valve are developing SteamOS.

Trying to better intel CPU technology and Nvidia or AMD for graphics chips in the desktop arena isnt really viable they are the top of the food chain in the desktop arena.

The biggest issue is gaining developer support for software or apps as everyone now calls them, look at blackberry they now have no unique selling point anymore and are trying to compete with Apple and Android stores with millions of quality apps already available.

As said before many good consoles spec wise have died prematurely due to bad software support look at the dreamcast or saturn/playstation battle.

If you can revive amiga as a breakthrough OS then anything after that is possible, you would need some killer app or game though to make people move.

I for one kept my A1200 longer than all my friends hoping that commodore would sort itself out had an accelerator cd rom hard drive etc but in the end software dried up, no new hardware and seeing games like doom, and then tomb raider and Jedi Knight running on the first 3D cards made me want a PC.

The same thing when I first viewed shadow of the beast, made me want an amiga, got to have a killer app.
Old 12 October 2014, 15:01   #67
Twiggy
\m/

For me, some cheap(ish) low-end PPC laptop/netbook running OS4 (Like the LimePC). That'd be enough for me.
Old 12 October 2014, 15:08   #68
BippyM
Global Moderator

The Amiga won't ever make any sort of viable comeback.

Kola I see what you say about "what if" Commodore had become the giant of this world, but let's be honest.. They would have just become like Microsoft, Sony, Apple, Samsung etc.. A corporate monopoly themselves..

The Amiga lives on in our hearts, and its spirit remains here and across the various other Amiga forums, sites, gatherings etc.. Let's be grateful for what we have and thankful it didn't become the giant you all hoped!
Old 12 October 2014, 20:02   #69
john1979

The Amiga is dead.

I'd like it to stay that way. Last thing I'd ever wanted to see is it come back as some soulless PC with the word Amiga stamped on it. Because that's what it would be if a new Amiga was released now.
Old 13 October 2014, 02:35   #70
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1979 View Post
The Amiga is dead.

I'd like it to stay that way. Last thing I'd ever wanted to see is it come back as some soulless PC with the word Amiga stamped on it. Because that's what it would be if a new Amiga was released now.
Lol. I think this has already happened...more than once.
Old 13 October 2014, 03:00   #71
JimDrew

I'd buy, and even develop for, a new AmigaOS if it ran on a generic x86 box... like Mac OS, Windows, and Linux can. PPC is an absolute waste and simply too slow compared to modern x86 hardware.
Old 13 October 2014, 04:18   #72
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

OT- Why not a ps4 with the the look of the amiga ???
Something strong different with good games... But it my dreams it should run amigaos but it will never happen . I'm sure many of us would buy a ps4 with the workbench and 100 % compatible with ps4 games.
Mode dreams off.
Old 13 October 2014, 12:35   #73
BippyM
Global Moderator

Ps4.. You're mad. The only way to have amigaos is on modern pc architecture. The focus should be on developing amigaos and AmigaDOS to work natively on a pc, while at the same time bringing it up to date and keep that Amiga feeling without all the windows bloat, or difficulties experienced by other operating systems.

It's a pipe dream sadly and couldn't be viable in the modern era.
Old 13 October 2014, 14:31   #74
Lobotomika

You know, a hobby platform without mainstream interest is not all that bad unless there's no interest left at all and the platform dies. I doubt if I liked amiga as much right now if my tech retarded boss was enforcing me to use it at work because it was the standard platform or people who have no passion about computing were involved in it because everyone in their social circle did so. Right now us retro computing hobbyists can enjoy some sort of elitism with Amiga and other niche platforms. No need to be upset about it really.

Last edited by Lobotomika; 13 October 2014 at 17:00.
Old 13 October 2014, 14:41   #75
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Forget some modern up to date thing that has to emulate older stuff! Somebody needs to re-tool the A1200 and start churning out fresh machines.

Then the cost has to be right! None of this bespoke £500+ stuff that prohibits everyone except the diehard fans.
Escom did it with the remains of whatever Commodore had at the time. Do this again, A brand new fresh A1200 that just works with all the old kit knocking about.

Jens did it with the C64 board.. I know it costs a bomb but it can be done!

But in reallity I know it is all a pipedream. So I have all my old Amiga's still knocking about. I get them recapped as needed, tidy things up etc. They will serve there purpose until I am too old to use them.

The Amiga brand is dead! But the memories and spirit are not
Old 13 October 2014, 16:08   #76
Paul_s

this could be the signal for me to buy a next gen Amiga;

http://www.vincentperkins.com/AmigaNG/x5000.php

I've been wanting to try out OS4 for a while now (getting a little tired of the same old Windows).
Old 15 October 2014, 12:22   #77
Twiggy
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
this could be the signal for me to buy a next gen Amiga;

http://www.vincentperkins.com/AmigaNG/x5000.php

I've been wanting to try out OS4 for a while now (getting a little tired of the same old Windows).
Looks interesting. But wouldn't it be feasible to just create one cheap(er) board instead? Or am I missing something? Some sort of generic PPC board with OS4 slapped on it. Target something like the LimePC.
Old 15 October 2014, 13:13   #78
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

I'll wait for OS5. I have a MicroA1 that didn't do too well and I don't use it. I run AROS on VirtualBox and FS-UAE. My MorphOS Mac broke.

All that bothers me now is the stupid EFI BIOS replacement for PC that can block Linux installations and AROS native installations. Maybe ARM Linux hosted AROS next?

Otherwise they all suck! I'll get an FPGA system!
Old 19 October 2014, 01:02   #79
JimDrew

It shouldn't be that much of a stretch to recompile OS4.x to work on a x86 motherboard. The graphics cards are already used with PCs/Macs/Linux boxes, USB is USB, etc.

The speed difference between the fastest PPC and a middle of the road x86 is staggering. Apple dumped PPC for many reasons, but the biggest reason to switch to x86 was the performance gain. There won't be any faster PPC's made, and such is not the case for the x86 family.