English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 03 June 2014, 22:40   #21
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
I heard that!

Seriously though, it's always nice to see new Classic games developed....keep up the good work
Actually I think it is Amiblitz 2 so maybe version3 might work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
After you succeed you are ready for coding the new ultimate Amiga shooter in best traditions of Project X etc!
Well I do have the source to this:

http://www.havsoft.co.uk/Dark%20Space.htm

or this

http://www.havsoft.co.uk/zynaps.htm (as frankly the Amiga version was nothing like the original!!!)

But would have to get tilemaps working or as both games have maps created in Mappy.

Last edited by prowler; 03 June 2014 at 23:02. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 03 June 2014, 23:04   #22
leathered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
Actually I think it is Amiblitz 2 so maybe version3 might work?
AmiBlitz3 needs OS3.9+ so there's hope, but I couldn't find any info.
Old 03 June 2014, 23:34   #23
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathered View Post
AmiBlitz3 needs OS3.9+ so there's hope, but I couldn't find any info.
That might exlpain why I'm only wokring on version 2.
Old 04 June 2014, 03:41   #24
ransom1122

Have you guys seen this
Flappy Bird on Amiga 500 (7Mhz)
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 04 June 2014, 10:04   #25
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
Post N° #4
Old 04 June 2014, 13:30   #26
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
Have you guys seen this
Flappy Bird on Amiga 500 (7Mhz)
[ Show youtube player ]
Yep - had seen this but when you go to download the file the requirements say needs 68020 and fast ram so I think there are some porky pies being told in the youtube video!
Old 04 June 2014, 14:01   #27
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
the requirements say needs 68020 and fast ram
I still can't get over how totally insane that is A C64 could handle that with it's hands tied to it's back...
Old 04 June 2014, 14:02   #28
ransom1122

Gibs is a reputable amiga user. I have his previous version of flappy on amiga and it plays fine. Will wait for the new version
Old 04 June 2014, 20:07   #29
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
I still can't get over how totally insane that is A C64 could handle that with it's hands tied to it's back...
Does it really matter if the game is good?
Old 04 June 2014, 21:21   #30
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
Does it really matter if the game is good?
I don't know, but I still find it insane
Old 04 June 2014, 21:26   #31
britelite

Quote:
I don't know, but I still find it insane
Fair enough. Would YOU be able to do it on a c64?
Old 04 June 2014, 21:58   #32
Havie

Well I agree that an A500 should be able to run this game no probs hence my desire to get it running on one but I am using Blitz which is good but is not assembler. As i have already stated I have ideas to speed it up and the fact that I am using 'pc' style programming (i.e. blitting large shapes which is no prblem on a pc but slows the Amiga) means that this is not very efficent programming! I think the solution to getting maximum speed is to use sprites for the pipes (which I am working on) and strangely extending the screen to full width might make everything faster as I think I can move sprites smoothly off the screen and have no need to blit large black rectangles? Also, using sprites I think I won't need to double buffer and this will be a saving in CPU cycles too. This is all guess work at present but I will work on it...

Just out of interest - has anyone tried this on an A500 and is it playable?

Last edited by prowler; 05 June 2014 at 01:14. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 04 June 2014, 23:38   #33
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
Fair enough. Would YOU be able to do it on a c64?
No, I lack the knowledge, but just look at Turrican 2 on the C64. Runs at 50 FPS Vsync'd.

Quote:
I think the solution to getting maximum speed is to use sprites for the pipes (which I am working on) and strangely extending the screen to full width might make everything faster as I think I can move sprites smoothly off the screen and have no need to blit large black rectangles?
A better approach would be to use the infinite scrolling trick. I'll give some hints first. The basic ingredients are: An extra wide screen (say 320*2+16*2 pixels wide), 16 pixel wide tiles, hardware scrolling, and blitting the same two 16 pixel columns in two places at the same time. Takes almost no blitter time, and you're not restricted by the number of sprites you can have on screen.

If you need help, ask.
Quote:
Also, using sprites I think I won't need to double buffer and this will be a saving in CPU cycles too.
Double buffering shouldn't use much CPU time because you're just telling the video chip to fetch its data from somewhere else each frame.
Old 05 June 2014, 00:47   #34
Havie

Quote:
No, I lack the knowledge, but just look at Turrican 2 on the C64. Runs at 50 FPS Vsync'd.

A better approach would be to use the infinite scrolling trick. I'll give some hints first. The basic ingredients are: An extra wide screen (say 320*2+16*2 pixels wide), 16 pixel wide tiles, hardware scrolling, and blitting the same two 16 pixel columns in two places at the same time. Takes almost no blitter time, and you're not restricted by the number of sprites you can have on screen.

If you need help, ask.

Double buffering shouldn't use much CPU time because you're just telling the video chip to fetch its data from somewhere else each frame.
Doh - you're right about double buffering.

OkI-I'll bite. Explain to me how the infinite scrolling trick uses very little blitter time and how this would work.
Old 05 June 2014, 01:47   #35
Thorham
Computer Nerd

In the diagram below the red box is the visible part of the screen (320x256 pixels). The green box is the whole screen (320*2+16*2 pixels wide, 256 pixels high), and the blue and cyan boxes are the blitting areas (both 16x256 pixels). Your background tiles are all 16 pixels wide.

You start with the top box setup. First you blit one column of tiles in the blue area, then you hardware scroll 16 pixels to the left so that you get to the second box setup. There you blit the same column of tiles you blitted in step one in the cyan area.

Then you start with the blue column again, where you blit the next column of tiles. Scroll 16 pixels to the left to get to the third box setup, blit the same tiles in the cyan part, then do the next bunch of tiles in the blue part, and just repeat all that until you get to the bottom box setup.

In the bottom box setup you only blit the cyan area, after that you move the screen back to the initial position as show in the top box setup, and you repeat the whole process again, and again until you reach the end of a level.

By blitting the same tiles in the blue and cyan areas you create two identical images in both halves of the screen, so that when you move the screen back to it's initial position, you won't see anything change in the visible part of the screen, and you can simply repeat the whole process again.

You save a ton of blitter time because you're only blitting 2*16*256 pixels for every 16 pixels you scroll with hardware scrolling.

If this wasn't clear enough, I'll come up with a better diagram with some actual tiles

Edit: Seems there's an inaccuracy in here. Hmm. Doesn't matter if it's clear, though.

Last edited by Thorham; 05 June 2014 at 06:55.
Old 05 June 2014, 07:02   #36
britelite

Quote:
Sure, but now you're comparing a commercial game to something someone made in their spare time as a hobby.

And if you lack the knowledge, why should the person doing this game for 020+fastmem have the knowledge on how to do it on an A500?

Edit: I mean, if the game runs like crap on the target hardware, you'd have a point. But if it runs great, I think whining that "this could run on even lesser hardware" is unnecessary.

Last edited by britelite; 05 June 2014 at 07:10.
Old 05 June 2014, 11:33   #37
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
[ Show youtube player ]

Version for stock A500 with Parallax scrolling
Old 05 June 2014, 21:30   #38
Havie

Quote:
In the diagram below the red box is the visible part of the screen (320x256 pixels). The green box is the whole screen (320*2+16*2 pixels wide, 256 pixels high), and the blue and cyan boxes are the blitting areas (both 16x256 pixels). Your background tiles are all 16 pixels wide.

You start with the top box setup. First you blit one column of tiles in the blue area, then you hardware scroll 16 pixels to the left so that you get to the second box setup. There you blit the same column of tiles you blitted in step one in the cyan area.

Then you start with the blue column again, where you blit the next column of tiles. Scroll 16 pixels to the left to get to the third box setup, blit the same tiles in the cyan part, then do the next bunch of tiles in the blue part, and just repeat all that until you get to the bottom box setup.

In the bottom box setup you only blit the cyan area, after that you move the screen back to the initial position as show in the top box setup, and you repeat the whole process again, and again until you reach the end of a level.

By blitting the same tiles in the blue and cyan areas you create two identical images in both halves of the screen, so that when you move the screen back to it's initial position, you won't see anything change in the visible part of the screen, and you can simply repeat the whole process again.

You save a ton of blitter time because you're only blitting 2*16*256 pixels for every 16 pixels you scroll with hardware scrolling.

If this wasn't clear enough, I'll come up with a better diagram with some actual tiles

Edit: Seems there's an inaccuracy in here. Hmm. Doesn't matter if it's clear, though.

Thanks - reasonably clear although an example with tiles would be clearer.

I can see how this would save time as you are blitting less often but if you wanted to move the pipes up and down, this would be quite tricky?
Old 05 June 2014, 21:57   #39
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Thanks - reasonably clear although an example with tiles would be clearer.
Try coding it anyway, and see if you can spot the small mistake I made (box setup 4). I'll make a diagram with tiles, and without that mistake if needed, but do try first The most important thing about this is understanding the importance of building two identical images at the same time.

Quote:
if you wanted to move the pipes up and down, this would be quite tricky?
Sprites or bobs for moving the pipe ends up and down while removing/adding tiles seems to be the way to go.
Old 05 June 2014, 22:27   #40
Havie

Quote:
Try coding it anyway, and see if you can spot the small mistake I made (box setup 4). I'll make a diagram with tiles, and without that mistake if needed, but do try first The most important thing about this is understanding the importance of building two identical images at the same time.

Sprites or bobs for moving the pipe ends up and down while removing/adding tiles seems to be the way to go.
Ok - will code it although it may be more suitable for a shooter rather than Flappy Bird!