English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 14 February 2013, 22:10   #601
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Difficult? Nope.. Done it a lot.

But it's much easier to just drag/drop files onto the card from the main OS which (for me) is the point. ;-)

Remember, if you are doing it in WinUAE, you have to copy files back and forth from inside WinUAE.
So, steps:

Plug in the card.
Start WinUAE
Within WinUAE, copy files to/from a shared directory on your PC.
Shutdown WinUAE
Unplug Card

or

Plug in card
Drag/drop files
Unplug card

I actively have done both methods, and I prefer the 2nd, even tho the first isn't that tough. If you can make it a bit easier, why wouldn't you want that?

desiv

theres nothing wrong with that at all,its just having two slots and not being able to hotswap means powering down the amiga unplugging the card transfering the files on the pc plugging it back in and powering back up,which for "me" is pointless and inconvenient because i could just do the same thing with one drive.

i already transfer files with cf cards i "can" hotswap,including zips cd's dvd's and pen drives via usb.on amigas.

i would understand if just one port was not hotswappable becuase of the bootdrive but its only because you have to power down the system to transfer thats all.
Old 14 February 2013, 23:25   #602
dJOS

I completely agree, i put my cf card into my PC and actually boot winuae from the cf card - makes things very simple for copying files!

Having 2 cf slots is really not that useful on a 500 when a 4gb card with 2x 2gb partitions can hold pretty mch everything. On the other hand too much storage is never enuf!
Old 15 February 2013, 11:22   #603
zharn

Can we pre order anywhere?
Old 15 February 2013, 11:58   #604
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zharn View Post
Can we pre order anywhere?
Not yet - you don't know all the features yet, and I don't know when I'll be able to ship.

I will most probably need all your help during the pre-order phase, talking to all those ex-Amigans who may be interested in dusting off their A500.

Jens
Old 15 February 2013, 12:25   #605
dJOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post

I will most probably need all your help during the pre-order phase, talking to all those ex-Amigans who may be interested in dusting off their A500.

Jens
Unfortunately all my Amiga buddies sold their 500's like me and very few have bought back in - those who have mostly bought the 1200's they couldn't afford as poor students.
Old 15 February 2013, 13:31   #606
paulo_becas

Quote:
Not yet - you don't know all the features yet, and I don't know when I'll be able to ship.

Jens
Count me in for at least one maybe two who knows
Old 15 February 2013, 14:49   #607
roy bates

no pre order for me.
i would like to see the final specs and make sure it works 100% before i part with my cash.
Old 15 February 2013, 23:05   #608
zharn

I almost clicked buy it now for a 2mb ram expansion for my 500, It would have cost about $130 delivered, so if the aca500 that can do ram and cf i want one.

My priorities for my 500 would be RAM then CF then Acceleration. But i dont think i care about option 3 on a 500. The 500 is a nostalgia machine when compared to later amigas

Id show Jens some respect in this forum, does anyone else have a 500 expansion in the works?
Old 15 February 2013, 23:15   #609
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
@Jens, I'm ready to pre-order or test any hardware for you. I have an A500+ here with 3.1Rom and I'm extremely familiar with your ACA cards so if I can help let me know

I already own 1x ACA1230/28 1x ACA1232/33 1x ACA620EC & 1x ACA630/64

Oh and an Indy MkI & MkII

I have a pretty nice stack of Individual Boxes on the table behind me!
Old 15 February 2013, 23:36   #610
Lobotomika

Although I'll end up with multiple units when this thing is proven to be stable, I won't go for an impulse purchase. Catweasel MKIV memories are vivid and painful.
Old 16 February 2013, 12:21   #611
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomika View Post
Catweasel MKIV memories are vivid and painful.
Here's the "assuming too much and not reading enough" trouble again: What feature/function are you missing from the *advertised* features? Right, none. Oh, not to mention that you can still sell your Catweasel MK4 for good money on eBay (they sometimes go for more than 100,- EUR!). So what's your reason for such a post? Just badmouthing?

Everyone, please ask your reseller or me lots of questions before you buy, and don't just assume that a certain feature will be there. Also, asking these questions in the development phase (read: NOW!) might change my decision(s) for the final featureset.

Jens
Old 16 February 2013, 15:03   #612
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

What are the definitive specs?. Will it provide ram and storage(cf)?. What's the approx. price?
Old 16 February 2013, 19:13   #613
Calabazam

Quote:
Everyone, please ask your reseller or me lots of questions before you buy, and don't just assume that a certain feature will be there. Also, asking these questions in the development phase (read: NOW!) might change my decision(s) for the final featureset.

Jens

I have a question to ask now!
What about USB? Is there something in the design that let the possibility of a future USB expansion?

If not, what are your plans about USB and the Amiga? Rebuild Subway/DeneB? Another expansions? For what computers?
Old 17 February 2013, 06:19   #614
TjLaZer

I thought the ACA630 sold really well and sold out? Why not do another run? They will sell like hot cakes!

Damn, I'm glad I bought mine when I did!

Old 17 February 2013, 13:40   #615
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
What about USB? Is there something in the design that let the possibility of a future USB expansion?
There is a 34-pin fast expansion port (double Z2 speed) on the ACA500 that I will use for network and/or USB. You might know that I own a source code license for the USB stack Poseidon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
I thought the ACA630 sold really well and sold out? Why not do another run? They will sell like hot cakes!
I made a carefully low quantity, and it sold slow. I'm happy it sold out, but it was near a loss, despite the high price: If an investment takes longer than expected to return earnings, interest will eat any earnings up.

Just looking at single items that go on eBay for insane amounts doesn't give any reliable information about the quantity that a market needs, and how long it takes to sell a batch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ThEcRoW View Post
What are the definitive specs?. Will it provide ram and storage(cf)?. What's the approx. price?
There are no definitive specs for the ACA500 yet - it's still a "work in progress". 2MB Ram, 14MHz CPU, two CF card slots and the local expansion port are certain. More is under development and negotiation with programmers.

Jens
Old 17 February 2013, 14:24   #616
roy bates

if you had another run of the aca630 couldnt the resellers buy the entire batches from you,that way your not out of pocket.

you and your resellers would know they sell eventually.

Last edited by roy bates; 17 February 2013 at 14:29.
Old 17 February 2013, 15:56   #617
Calabazam

Quote:
There is a 34-pin fast expansion port (double Z2 speed) on the ACA500 that I will use for network and/or USB. You might know that I own a source code license for the USB stack Poseidon.
Very interesting.
Would that expansion be adaptable to big box amiga with real zorro ports?
Old 17 February 2013, 16:00   #618
demolition
Unregistered User

Then the resellers would be the ones shelling out some big money up front and I doubt they would want to do that. Having a big stock sitting on the shelves is a big risk and you lose money for every day that passes. There's no reason to think the ACA630 would sell faster today than it did back then.
Old 17 February 2013, 16:28   #619
roy bates

yes i realise that,it was a silly idea.nevermind.
Old 18 February 2013, 09:55   #620
paulo_becas

Hi, Jens,

I have a question for you, right now my 500 is equiped with a 68010-P10 CPU
Will there be any problem when pluging in the ACA500?