English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 17 November 2012, 00:17   #21
roy bates

actually its a very usable system for whdload gaming

i have one very similar,if you like i can take a picture of it and post it here for you.
Old 17 November 2012, 00:22   #22
clitosa
CLI

Floppy disk Games Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Before considering buying more memory, it's probably better to see if you can run the games you want to play with what you have
Sensible response T This thread looks set to doom this amigas hopes for OS4 anyway. However most game playing seems sufficient with a CF HD.
Old 17 November 2012, 00:35   #23
clitosa
CLI

Post Higher hopes for OS 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Why do you want to run OS4?
Hi Nova. At first i thought it would enable me to do more on the 1200 by using different amiga OS software (word processing, internet etc) Now I am not so convinced. Seems it could run 3.5, but not well. Some consider later versions of the amiga OS to be bloated and for users playing mainly games, then WB3.1 is more suitable (and cheaper). Would you agree?
Old 17 November 2012, 00:38   #24
roy bates

this is the amiga 1200 thats closest to yours it has 8mbs of fastram and a 10 gig hardrive.

tis is the back,as you can see it has a cd rom drive installed

and this is my wifes a600 with kickstart 3.1 and workbench 3.1 with 4mbs of fastram

take no notice of the background i have a few old machines,i like fixing them can you tell lol.
Old 17 November 2012, 00:40   #25
clitosa
CLI

Picture of Expansion

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
take a picture of the card and place it in this thread.its in the trapdoor under the amiga.
Okay R. You upload tomorrow
Old 17 November 2012, 09:55   #26
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by clitosa View Post
Hi Nova. At first i thought it would enable me to do more on the 1200 by using different amiga OS software (word processing, internet etc) Now I am not so convinced. Seems it could run 3.5, but not well. Some consider later versions of the amiga OS to be bloated and for users playing mainly games, then WB3.1 is more suitable (and cheaper). Would you agree?
Yep sure, if you are just after retro games then 3.1 is perfect. Personally I like my WB to look a bit more modern so I've gone for a patched 3.9 setup (AGA).

OS4 for classics is a waste of time as far as I can see.
Old 17 November 2012, 11:49   #27
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Good man - thank u. Have heard those CF HD's are faster and that the old 3.5" HD will not last forever (magnetic media) CLI question, does that version of WHDLoad included with the CF come with all the games?
You are welcome. No, it won't have all the games, I think it will only have the partitions, and if you want just to install OS3.1 it has somekind of easy-installer, so if you want CWB you'll have to install it by yourself, but better ask them. Anyway a thing you have to start using is WinUAE or buy Amiga Forever. You can find a lot of threads about them. There you can install things for the Amiga using a card reader for the CF that you will be using later on the miggy.
Old 17 November 2012, 11:58   #28
clitosa
CLI

Thumbs up Rip Os4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Yep sure, if you are just after retro games then 3.1 is perfect. Personally I like my WB to look a bit more modern so I've gone for a patched 3.9 setup (AGA).

OS4 for classics is a waste of time as far as I can see.
Thanks NOVA. Guess that's the last nail in the coffin for OS4 in this a1200. People here has suggested WB Classic, which looks a little less dated than 3.1. So we may go for that. Your set up does sound very good though. I only have 020 cpu and a 8mb FPU expansion card (says 4mb in the sysinfo!) which I hear can run 3.5 (but not well). Is this accurate? I take it that your 3.9 is running on hardware with a PPC Accelerator?

Last edited by clitosa; 17 November 2012 at 12:42.
Old 17 November 2012, 12:24   #29
clitosa
CLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
You are welcome. No, it won't have all the games, I think it will only have the partitions, and if you want just to install OS3.1 it has somekind of easy-installer, so if you want CWB you'll have to install it by yourself, but better ask them. Anyway a thing you have to start using is WinUAE or buy Amiga Forever. You can find a lot of threads about them. There you can install things for the Amiga using a card reader for the CF that you will be using later on the miggy.
Thanks Retro . I've heard you really need Amiga Forever to use UAE because AF comes with those necessary ROM files which are otherwise copyright. Is that correct? Although i was thinking of avoiding UAE entirely as my past experiences of attempting UAE 1200 configurations have been done incorrectly. Online help for a stable expanded 1200 config (for games & if possible internet) on UAE latest 2.4.1 seems illusive.

Last edited by clitosa; 17 November 2012 at 12:47.
Old 17 November 2012, 12:36   #30
clitosa
CLI

Exclamation 8MB FPU expansion card

Quote:
take a picture of the card and place it in this thread.its in the trapdoor under the amiga.
Hi Roy Here is a picture of the expansion card. I originally thought it was a 4MB expansion, like it says on the Sysinfo screen shot (3rd attached image at the top of this thread) - but the board says 8mb, unless it's refering to those simms? Would appreciate your feedback

ps - nice machines you got there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8mbfpu.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	33208  

Last edited by clitosa; 17 November 2012 at 12:51.
Old 17 November 2012, 12:55   #31
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Thanks Retro . I've heard you really need Amiga Forever to use UAE because AF comes with those necessary ROM files which are otherwise copyright. Is that correct? Although i was thinking of avoiding UAE entirely as my past experiences of attempting UAE 1200 configurations have been done incorrectly. Online help for a stable expanded 1200 config (for games & if possible internet) on UAE latest 2.4.1 seems illusive.
If you want a heavy updated and already configured experience using WinUAE but without selecting anything, and if you have OS3.9 or OS3.5 (and the roms of A-Forever) you can install in your PC Amikit http://amikit.amiga.sk/

Yes you need the rom files that are in Amiga Forever to use WinUAE, and it has also preconfigured OS's like Amikit and AmigaSYS or others.

Edit: That ram expansion you've got can have till 8Mb, and you could buy also a FPU and a crystal for it. http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/magnum1200 , http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showha...gi?HARDID=1025
That's a perfect board for WHDLoad, internet even. You should find the manual for it to see how the jumpers have to be changed for changing memory and using the FPU if you buy them.

Edit: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=46588

Last edited by Retrofan; 17 November 2012 at 13:09.
Old 17 November 2012, 13:55   #32
clitosa
CLI

Floppy disk 8MB FPU expansion card

Quote:
If you want a heavy updated and already configured experience using WinUAE but without selecting anything, and if you have OS3.9 or OS3.5 (and the roms of A-Forever) you can install in your PC Amikit http://amikit.amiga.sk/

Yes you need the rom files that are in Amiga Forever to use WinUAE, and it has also preconfigured OS's like Amikit and AmigaSYS or others.

Edit: That ram expansion you've got can have till 8Mb, and you could buy also a FPU and a crystal for it. http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/magnum1200 , http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showha...gi?HARDID=1025
That's a perfect board for WHDLoad, internet even. You should find the manual for it to see how the jumpers have to be changed for changing memory and using the FPU if you buy them.

Edit: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=46588
Hi Retro - Unfortunately no, we do not have an emulated 3.5 or 3.9 as we are without Amiga Forever. AF sounds good though. Yeah, i'd rather have the preconfigured OS's that AF comes with, rather than attempt any further self configuration (lol)

Thanks for the board feedback. By being perfect for the internet, i take it you mean - not in it's present state - but if I purchased a FPU & Crystal for it?

Changing jumpers so that the crystal & fpu can be used with this board sounds a little out of my league though. But it's good to know it can be done. Good idea in locating the manual for it. I shall try for sure. Cheers
Old 17 November 2012, 14:49   #33
roy bates

could you pull the card out and take a picture of the other side.

theres probably a 4mb simm in it,or its been jumpered for 4mb.

retrofan, do you know weither these cards are pcmcia freindly? he has kick3.1.

Last edited by roy bates; 17 November 2012 at 14:57.
Old 17 November 2012, 15:27   #34
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

No, I haven't found any more info. I guess it can have that problem, so to use internet it should use only 4Mb.

Edit: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=581133&postcount=2 :
"P.S. I changed that page on BBoAH to take out the line:
Quote:
It has been reported to recognise 8MB even if the PCMCIA slot is in use, but there's no guarantee that it will not cause problems if memory usage becomes high.
It is inaccurate as no 8MB A1200 RAM cards can be PCMCIA safe and have 8MB. "

clitosa no, you don't need fpu to use Ibrowse and have internet. There are browsers that work without it (AWeb, IBrowse, Voyager...). The ACA's don't have it either. Your problem is that surely you only can use 4mb to keep using the pcmcia, which you will need to connect wifi or ethernet or to transfer files. For what I've heard you can use kickstarts 3.0 and use the 8mb still using Pcmcia.

Last edited by Retrofan; 17 November 2012 at 15:41.
Old 17 November 2012, 15:28   #35
Vegas

Quote:
Hi clitosa! Yeah, setting up WinUAE can be difficult. I guess we all spent several nights fiddling around with it. However, its a nice way to learn about, how the Amiga and the Workbench works and also to try out things without messing up your real-Amiga system every time. For example, trying different Workbench setups.

For the Kickstart Rom files, you dont necessarily need AmigaForever. If you have a real Amiga, you can use tools like GrabKick (http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/GrabKick). It reads the installed Rom from the Amiga and writes the content into a small file, which you can then use in WinUAE. Maybe this sounds difficult, but its actually really easy.

On the other hand, AmigaForever is an awesome thing to get started with the Amiga. Its really well done and comes with tons of additional content, up to you
Old 17 November 2012, 18:07   #36
clitosa
CLI

Thumbs down Only 4mb...

Quote:
No, I haven't found any more info. I guess it can have that problem, so to use internet it should use only 4Mb.

Edit: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=581133&postcount=2 :
"P.S. I changed that page on BBoAH to take out the line:
Quote:
It has been reported to recognise 8MB even if the PCMCIA slot is in use, but there's no guarantee that it will not cause problems if memory usage becomes high.
It is inaccurate as no 8MB A1200 RAM cards can be PCMCIA safe and have 8MB. "

clitosa no, you don't need fpu to use Ibrowse and have internet. There are browsers that work without it (AWeb, IBrowse, Voyager...). The ACA's don't have it either. Your problem is that surely you only can use 4mb to keep using the pcmcia, which you will need to connect wifi or ethernet or to transfer files. For what I've heard you can use kickstarts 3.0 and use the 8mb still using Pcmcia.
Hi R, good news then. It's a not the fpu (which i understand this expansion board is without?)

So with our 4mb expansion and something like AWeb, IBrowse, Voyager, would we then be able to go line to go?
Old 17 November 2012, 18:14   #37
clitosa
CLI

8mb FPU Expansion board (other side)

Quote:
could you pull the card out and take a picture of the other side.

theres probably a 4mb simm in it,or its been jumpered for 4mb.

retrofan, do you know weither these cards are pcmcia freindly? he has kick3.1.
Hi Roy, here's the other side of that board. Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8mbfpu2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	33213  
Old 17 November 2012, 18:16   #38
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yes, actually the best (for me) is IBrowse http://www.ibrowse-dev.net/download.php The install will ask you what do you have, so you install it for 020, no fpu. Anyway I believe the next is 040 fpu, but you've got 020. The keyfile sometimes can be found googling, it's something like ibrowse2.key and goes in the IBrowse drawer.

You can do it when you'll have your CWB running, but understand that it doesn't go very fast.

Edit: Another thing: if you just install Workbench 3.1 it would waste a lot of chip mem. CWB packs have patches to avoid loosing it, so you are using from your 4mb.

Last edited by Retrofan; 17 November 2012 at 18:26.
Old 17 November 2012, 18:26   #39
clitosa
CLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
Hi clitosa! Yeah, setting up WinUAE can be difficult. I guess we all spent several nights fiddling around with it. However, its a nice way to learn about, how the Amiga and the Workbench works and also to try out things without messing up your real-Amiga system every time. For example, trying different Workbench setups.

For the Kickstart Rom files, you dont necessarily need AmigaForever. If you have a real Amiga, you can use tools like GrabKick (http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/GrabKick). It reads the installed Rom from the Amiga and writes the content into a small file, which you can then use in WinUAE. Maybe this sounds difficult, but its actually really easy.

On the other hand, AmigaForever is an awesome thing to get started with the Amiga. Its really well done and comes with tons of additional content, up to you
Thanks Vegas. Yep, guess it easier than it sounds. Especially for those more knowledgeable on such matters. But as a novice working alone, I'd do well not to touch it - previous mistakes have been costly

AF UAE preconfigs sound much better than anything i could currently assemble and therefore a safer option.
Old 17 November 2012, 19:00   #40
roy bates

the simm looks to be a 4mb 60ns edo ram simm.