English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language

Old 30 May 2012, 10:53   #21
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mindie View Post
Why code in a dead BASIC?
Old 8 bit BASIC interpreters are slow and unstructured, no fun to be had for me.

Quote:
Why code on a dead computer in the first place?
For fun and the challenge.
Old 31 May 2012, 18:20   #22
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Old 8 bit BASIC interpreters are slow and unstructured, no fun to be had for me.

For fun and the challenge.
Excactly. some people think the C=64 BASIC is fun and challenging. Some people thinks AmigaBASIC is fun and challenging

And there's even perverts who thinks Windows if fun, it's certainly a challenge to stay calm, though.
Old 31 May 2012, 22:52   #23
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
BUT: To create the "same" demo on a Speccy with only a 6502 (or was it the Z-80?) at 1MHz and 48kB, Now THAT is satisfaction.
Spectrums (Z80, Z81, Spectrum 48K, Spectrum 128K (+2/+2a/+2b/+2c/+3)) all had the Z80 at the helm

Regards,
Lonewolf10

Last edited by Lonewolf10; 31 May 2012 at 22:53. Reason: missed out a closed bracket!
Old 06 June 2012, 23:55   #24
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
Spectrums (Z80, Z81, Spectrum 48K, Spectrum 128K (+2/+2a/+2b/+2c/+3)) all had the Z80 at the helm

Regards,
Lonewolf10
The principle remains, though... to make a superstunning demo on such a limited piece of hardware, is a real challenge and also (I would believe) for most people, give a real satisfaction.

Doesn't really matter what language you're coding in, though the more limited, the more the challenge, and thus the more satisfaction when you see it working ^^

And of course... if you make... say... "State of the Art" for the C=64 utilising only C=64 BASIC, your epeen will grow to extreme proportions :P
Old 07 June 2012, 00:47   #25
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Quote:
Doesn't really matter what language you're coding in, though the more limited, the more the challenge, and thus the more satisfaction when you see it working ^^
true, I have been most chuffed when I've accomplished something the language I've used isn't supposed to be able to do! (Usually a BASIC!)
Old 07 June 2012, 16:55   #26
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Excactly. some people think the C=64 BASIC is fun and challenging. Some people thinks AmigaBASIC is fun and challenging
Okay, okay, I got it It's just that I only use 680x0 for fun and the challenge, while I use FreeBasic on the peecee as a utility language, so I never expected people to enjoy old Basic dialects.

Quote:
And there's even perverts who thinks Windows if fun, it's certainly a challenge to stay calm, though.
Really? Hard to believe...
Old 25 July 2012, 23:32   #27
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

There was an article about it on the Onion, so it must be true :P
Old 02 October 2012, 18:59   #28
Eygthene

Which free BASIC that runs under LINUX fore my Raspberry Pi?

Having got my Raspberry Pi up and running, I was hoping (as a 74 year-old) to be able to draw on past experience so as to be able to drive the GPIO in BASIC. However I quickly discovered that bwBASIC does not have the necessary PEEK and POKE statements and GWBASIC only handles 8 bit registers.

Is there a BASIC which will run under the Raspberry Pi version of LINUX and which will enable me to load 32 bit registers having 32 bit Adresses?

Old 03 October 2012, 08:01   #29
ajk

I am not an expert on the Raspberry Pi, and not really Linux either, but as far as I can imagine, you can't have old-style PEEK and POKE commands in a program running on Linux. Each of the programs will have a virtual address space and can't operate on the actual physical addresses directly - any access to peripherals would have to go through the operating system (Linux).

This is not to say that a Basic interpreter that emulates this behaviour somehow might not exist, but I don't know of such a thing at least.
Old 04 October 2012, 00:08   #30
Eygthene

Thanks very much ajk. I have had some great advice from posters on my ybw.com forum (Practical Boat Owner!) and they have explained that I need to "export" the GPIO pins with a bit of LINUX. Then I can access the direction and value files of the GPIO pins through a BASIC OPEN statement and I am trying to use INPUT# and PRINT# to read and write into those files.

One of the posters is kindly having a look at my first attempt at the code, so I'm waiting to see what he says.

I lent the R-Pi and the Input/output experimental board to a pal, so I will have to get it back before I can try out the code.