English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 March 2012, 12:13   #1
kixs

What about this joystick - Quickshot 128F & 138F

Does anyone have any experience with this joystick?

I like arcade stick design but would like some feedback about its robustness & durability and overall game play feeling. Is it any good?

On PC I manly use Street Fighter IV FightStick TE for emulation purposes.

Thanks
Old 09 March 2012, 12:51   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
I have a similar one and it's awesome, mine is made by Quickshot - I can't vouch though if this brand is the same (i.e re badged same stick) or a copycat version.

Mine also works as a two button Joystick on Amiga (like B-C on Sega Pad) and as you can see in my Video works great for SFII

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 March 2012, 14:41   #3
kixs

Jap, by design it looks the same as Spectravideo Quick Shot Professional 2-Player Board QS-128F. I'd guess its just re-badged.

So durability and game play (stick control) is fine?

The stick doesn't use micro-switches how do the rubber contacts feel?
Old 09 March 2012, 14:54   #4
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
It's a great stick, I've been using it for a couple if years without issues. It's not like an arcade feel but very smooth and easy to pull a fire ball etc

The two player facility is handy if you use it for two different machines like I had it hooked to an A1200T and my A1200D at the same time

Last edited by fitzsteve; 09 March 2012 at 15:01.
Old 09 March 2012, 15:42   #5
Old Fool
Zone Friend

Well I have the Quickshot version (I think its the same thing but different brand). It's OK but don't exept even near to arcade hall feeling. The stick is with micro switches and the bottom move doesn't work sometimes on my joy. Buttons are okay but a bit clonky as they also use cheap micro switches. Well I'm a gamepad lover so this is only my opinion!
Old 09 March 2012, 18:08   #6
kixs

I also own a Playstation Namco arcade stick and I'm thinking of PSX to Genesis converter. Sega Genesis controllers should work with Amigas and Ataris.
http://www.tototek.com/store/index.p...products_id=54

How about a Sega Arcade Power Stick? Looks nice.
http://segaretro.org/Arcade_Power_Stick
Old 12 September 2012, 19:40   #7
kixs

I finally bought Quickshot QS-138F that has microswitches. Movement is smooth and playing with it is great.

I also bought PSX-Genesis converter from Totek, made the mod for Amiga, and now I can use Namco Arcade stick on Amiga/Atari

Namco Arcade stick has quite good reviews and I like it a lot. But that QS-138F isn't far behind
Old 12 September 2012, 21:38   #8
sneeker

There must be a few versions of this about, Ive got a maverick 3 (Megadrive version) and I had one back in the day, but the maverick 3 isnt microswitched, and Im pretty sure mine was that I had originally, so its back to the powerplay cruiser (that I also had first time rount, and powerplay where about 15 mins from here, so I used to just take them back when they broke)
Old 12 September 2012, 21:44   #9
kixs

Quickshot model QS-138F is actually named as Maverick 1M.
Old 12 September 2012, 22:31   #10
clebin

Yep, I've got a few Mavericks and they're probably my favourite joystick ever, even edging out the Zipstick.

This grey one should be micro-switched as it's the black ones that have the poorer leaf-switches.
Old 13 September 2012, 12:17   #11
kixs

I don't see any differance on the outside between QS-128F that uses leaf contacts and QS-138F that uses microswitches.

Images of QS-128F VS QS-138F
Old 13 September 2012, 19:46   #12
Anna

The best joystick ever for the Amiga )
Old 29 January 2019, 23:00   #13
Nightshft

I know this thread is old, but my question fits best here.
In order to have a logical second firebutton on this joystick does anybody use other modes than "A..Atari and Commodore" or do people mod it internally?

PS: This joystick has a quite unique feature: a 4-position host-system-switch with the following positions: A..Atari and Commodore, B..MSX, C..Amstrad, D..Sega
Old 29 January 2019, 23:10   #14
Marchie

Setting it to 'Sega' will get 2-button mode.

My understanding is that 'Sega' mode works fine for Master System era controllers, but not for Mega-drive pads which need to be modded to work with Amiga.
Old 30 January 2019, 02:43   #15
Nobby_UK

"Mega-drive pads which need to be modded to work with Amiga."

Says Who ?
Old 30 January 2019, 07:35   #16
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=907587&postcount=8
Old 30 January 2019, 08:34   #17
Jope
-

The need for modification when used with an Amiga is basically to enable that the computer can control the multiplexer inside the pad. If you do not modify, you cannot read all of the buttons, as the multiplexer control line is constantly driven high by the Amiga's joystick port's Vcc pin.

I did a little update to the link above.
Old 31 January 2019, 04:03   #18
Nightshft

Thanks for all the Info. I tested Host Mode D and Button B works fine.
(Even some USB-Joystick-Adapters recognise Button B, which is useful with WinUAE or MAME )

Before, I was reluctant to test the B,C and D Modes because of this - very interesting - table.
http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/DB9-Joystick#Pinout

According to it, MSX and Amstrad controllers (or MSX and Amstrad mode) connect Pin 7 (which the Amiga supplies with +5V) with Gnd. Which would mean its not a good idea to use this controllers on our systems. And this matches the info in stingrays link.

Looks like Mode D .. Sega works like column "Mastersystem" and hence Button A and B work.

I really would like to know if an accidentally set Mode B or C (and Buttonpress) could fry an Amiga Paula or C64 CIA Chip. I guess they use current protection resistors in the Quickshot 128/138, but I'm not sure.

Otherwise I must say, I just digged out this joystick because of some 2-button-joystick discussion going on, and it's better than i thought. I also removed the 2nd cable which I can only recommend.

Last edited by Nightshft; 31 January 2019 at 04:12. Reason: better link
Old 31 January 2019, 07:14   #19
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
The need for modification when used with an Amiga is basically to enable that the computer can control the multiplexer inside the pad. If you do not modify, you cannot read all of the buttons, as the multiplexer control line is constantly driven high by the Amiga's joystick port's Vcc pin.
What games (if any) support this modification? Unmodified 2 buttons (B & C) are available, which should be sufficient for almost all Amiga games.

For interests sake, is there any risk of damage if this modified MD pad is accidentally used on an MD?
Old 31 January 2019, 08:27   #20
Jope
-

That's a good question. I seem to remember there being talk that some street fighter-esque game of fisticuffs supports a modified pad's three buttons, but I don't play those games nor do I use gamepads, so I never committed that info into long term memory..

The megadrive won't really like that modded pad at all, you will get totally incorrect button presses. Not sure who drives the select signal in the megadrive, but likely it will survive the short period of time it takes for the user to realise that the pad is totally unusable. :-)