English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 July 2012, 15:52   #1
SimonLCFC

Is my PCMCIA slot dead?

Hi

Just bought myself an Amiga 1200, which came with a ton of disks, two hard drives (4gb and 1.6gb) external floppy, a PCMCIA CF Adapter and 2gb Kingston card, and got 4mb trapdoor ram seperately.

Frankly the machine is a mess, but after much playing and opening up i've got the HD's working and the trapdoor ram running.

However, I can't get anything out of PCMCIA slot. Borrowed a friends adaptor and card (I know it works, I set up ClassicWB on his 1200 using it) but still nothing. I'm not really 100% on hardware, but the machine is filthy, and although i've cleared up most of the dirt on it, i'm still getting no joy from any combination of adaptors or CF cards (as I said, i've installed ClassicWB before using the CF method, so all the drivers have been set up correctly.)

I've just ordered a CF-IDE adaptor to connect it internally, but is there anything i'm doing wrong with the PCMCIA slot? Or is it just knackered.

Cheers

Si
Old 05 July 2012, 19:13   #2
Andrew1971

Hi
Have you checked for any bent pins in the slot on Amiga.
Sounds like it might need a good strip clean and rebuild.
You might find some thing side that not quite right.
Many Thanks
Andrew

Old 05 July 2012, 22:12   #3
keitha1200

A wee thought! I could borrow a CF card and adaptor from Bill and Ted but it wouldn't make one little bit of difference!

1) cf
2) fat95

You need both and they both need to be installed either auto or manually.

Not meaning to be disrespectful (as it can be stressful) but just spend a few hours reading through EAB that's how I sussed it

GL
Old 05 July 2012, 23:30   #4
SimonLCFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by keitha1200 View Post
Not meaning to be disrespectful (as it can be stressful) but just spend a few hours reading through EAB that's how I sussed it

GL
As I mentioned though i've actually got it all set up before on a friends 1200 so knowing what i'm doing isn't the issue - I do

It's just strange that the Adaptor and CF Card used to set up his 1200 completely fails to work in mine, which made me think it was an issue with the actual slot.

BUT, after reading through some threads/posts and doing some minor file shuffling, CF0: is recognised, but freezes the machine when one of the CF's is inserted into the adaptor (both adaptors seem to work, but not the Kingston CF Card - that's not working) so that leads me to believe that the PCMCIA slot works, but the CF card isn't compatible, although it is for the other 1200.

As you can see, it's bloody frustrating. I've ordered a CF-IDE adaptor now, so I should be able to hook that up and install ClassicWB + some WHDLoad stuff that way, which is all I want to do (for now, anyway - and i've got everything set up via WinUAE ready to go...)

Not really a noob, but no expert, and searching for this weird problem produced very little in the way of results, which is why I asked!

Cheers

Si
Old 06 July 2012, 11:15   #5
keitha1200

I had the same problem as yourself on different machines

There's another thread on here about a same/similar problem (You've probably already read it).
Old 10 July 2012, 16:51   #6
N-Ed

I had the same issue, with the miggy freezing up, and if I remember correctly I just downloaded newer drivers for the CF at Aminet and it has worked well since that day. Going for WiFi next
Old 11 July 2012, 01:16   #7
fgh

I can confirm that Kingston 4GB cards (with the flower image) do not work with amiga+compactflash.device, for reasons not yet known.
The 2GB I don't know, but it's possible it acts like the 4GB card..

However I am pretty sure the computer didn't freeze with the 4GB card, so I'm with N-Ed here - you should check the version of compactflash.device before drawing any conclusions.
The latest version is 1.27. Upgrading helped a couple of guys that had freezes with v1.21..

Good luck!
Old 11 July 2012, 05:35   #8
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgh View Post
I can confirm that Kingston 4GB cards (with the flower image) do not work with amiga+compactflash.device, for reasons not yet known.
The 2GB I don't know, but it's possible it acts like the 4GB card..

However I am pretty sure the computer didn't freeze with the 4GB card, so I'm with N-Ed here - you should check the version of compactflash.device before drawing any conclusions.
The latest version is 1.27. Upgrading helped a couple of guys that had freezes with v1.21..

Good luck!
Strange, the 4gb Kingston with the flowers on it works fine on mine. I did download the latest cf device from aminet and no problems after that
Old 11 July 2012, 06:45   #9
N-Ed

I had freeze problems with both the Kingston flower and Trancend 133, both 4GB, before replacing the drivers. I could use them when i booted up with them already inserted, but both would make the miggy freeze when I tried inserting them when the system was up and running.

Spec in those days were:
A1200 2b, Blizzard 1220/4, 3.1 roms, Amigakit CF-HD running "normal" WB 3.1.

Might try to downgrade older drivers this weekend just to see if I can reproduce the issue on my current setup, just for the hell of it
Old 11 July 2012, 11:58   #10
fgh

Ok. I just tried the Kingston flower card again with my a600 and CFD v1.27..
It doesn't freeze the system. Info just shows "no disk inserted". Same with my 16GB Kingston card.
Tried my 4GB Transcend card again as well, (just to confirm that nothing else is wrong), and it still works

If your cards work in the PCMCIA with v1.27, some revisions of the card might behave differently.
But I guess we could investigate the amiga side a bit more anyway...

Kipper: Did you try this card on your a600? With which kickstart and workbench version?
N-Ed: You are also sure the Kingston card works in the PCMCIA with v1.27?

My a600 has KS 37.300, WB2.1 (ClassicWB GAAE) I tried booting with and without startup-sequence.
Old 11 July 2012, 21:35   #11
N-Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgh View Post
Ok. I just tried the Kingston flower card again with my a600 and CFD v1.27..
It doesn't freeze the system. Info just shows "no disk inserted". Same with my 16GB Kingston card.
Tried my 4GB Transcend card again as well, (just to confirm that nothing else is wrong), and it still works

If your cards work in the PCMCIA with v1.27, some revisions of the card might behave differently.
But I guess we could investigate the amiga side a bit more anyway...

Kipper: Did you try this card on your a600? With which kickstart and workbench version?
N-Ed: You are also sure the Kingston card works in the PCMCIA with v1.27?

My a600 has KS 37.300, WB2.1 (ClassicWB GAAE) I tried booting with and without startup-sequence.
Pretty sure, yeah. But it's been a while since I used it Now I have it loaded with a kinda normal 3.1 OS, and right now the miggy won't pick it up at all(which might not be toooo strange). If I can backup this card I'll try it in the PCMCIA adapter!!!

So this thread made me try to use my transcend again to transfer some files to the miggy, and now the transcend card seems shot. But it's my peecee that doesn't like to copy to the card. Files that I successfully copy to the card takes ages, but the peecee complains about the I/O while copying most files Have to get the WiFi working asap
Old 12 July 2012, 00:05   #12
fgh

This issue should not be related to the file system, so you can test the card just like it is, without reformatting it as FAT.
The thing to check would be if the machine hangs, and if not whether info shows "No disk inserted" or "Not a dos disk".
So you can boot off a wb disk or any other card as long as it has CFD installed and mounted.
Old 12 July 2012, 00:11   #13
kipper2k

I'm back in town Friday so i'll do some checking, but all my A600's are using 3.1. I'll check revisions of CF drivers when i get home, but i do have about 6 of the Kingston cards. I remember Miflos saying he had issues wiuth Transcends on my adapter on his amiga 600, its a fickle beast!@