English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 June 2012, 19:03   #21
protek
Amiga hobbyist

Hate to nitpick but as I pointed in my first post, let's stick to 8-bit and 16-bit computer joysticks. Let's leave the consoles and PC out.
Old 20 June 2012, 21:06   #22
magnetic
Banned

Well I never used this stick but saw a pic of it in a UK amiga mag..

The "Bart Simpson" joystick. It was in the shape of bart simpson. How dumb is that?

I too dislike the comp pro. I think my fav joystick is the epyx 500xj.
Old 20 June 2012, 21:24   #23
brett71

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic View Post

I too dislike the comp pro. I think my fav joystick is the epyx 500xj.
Just as proof that opinions are like assholes (everybody has one), my least favorite joystick I've ever used is the epyx 500xj. I got two of them recently with a used A3000D I bought and for any shoot-em-ups, I just can't use it because my index finger almost immediately cramps up. Too much first-person-shooter action, I suppose.

On the other hand, my favorite joysticks to use back in the day were the original Atari 2600 ones. Those things rocked and the ones I had held up to all sorts of punishment.
Old 20 June 2012, 23:49   #24
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett71 View Post
my least favorite joystick I've ever used is the epyx 500xj.
Which is a rebadged Konix Speedking which MrCheese nominated a few posts back.

I wouldn't mind getting hold of one of those one of these days actually - just for old times' sake - I did have one with a Vic 20 in the dim and distant past. (I've just got hold of a Konix Navigator for the same reason - I quite like those.)
Old 21 June 2012, 00:08   #25
protek
Amiga hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
Which is a rebadged Konix Speedking which MrCheese nominated a few posts back.

I wouldn't mind getting hold of one of those one of these days actually - just for old times' sake - I did have one with a Vic 20 in the dim and distant past. (I've just got hold of a Konix Navigator for the same reason - I quite like those.)
I used to have the Speed King back in the good old days. Nothing wrong with the accuracy and feel but couldn't ever figure whose arm had been used as the model, when they designed it. At least I didn't feel comfortable having my fingers in the appointed grooves. Especially the thumb was in an unnatural position.

I do too like the Navigator and I now have two of those. The cardinal directions could be better, though.
Old 21 June 2012, 01:17   #26
ubermick

The Konix Speedking was a weird one - I had one and loved it, but it ended up dying a death. So I went out and bought another one... and hated it. Switched to my trusty black and yellow Zipstick, and that was it until I sold up. (Ironically, I see everyone knocking Competition Pros, I had one as well and quite liked it.)

The worst of the worst however, has already been mentioned, and Zetr0 has it.

The Cheetah 125+ was in stock EVERYWHERE on the cheap, and I think everyone I knew had one as their "backup" stick. (In otherwords, they bought one or got one as a pressie, hated it like everyone else, and flung it in a drawer.) It was always the default stick given to anyone who showed up for a Kick Off match, but didn't bring their own. Everything about it just felt cheap and flimsy. Absolutely horrendous, and absolutely the undisputed king of lame joysticks.

Wasn't the Quickshot II that was basically identical to this?
Old 21 June 2012, 01:40   #27
lesta_smsc

Haha - I recall having some of these... don't recall them lasting though! Quickshot all the way
Old 21 June 2012, 02:19   #28
protek
Amiga hobbyist

I had both Quickshot I and Quickshot II. Played them to death. Never had the Quickshot II Turbo, which was equipped with micro switches. The Quickshot II does bear a striking resemblance to the Cheetah but there are differences too. QS II didn't have buttons on the base.
Old 21 June 2012, 04:45   #29
desiv

It was weird. I remembered having a Pointmaster growing up, and I thought it was great.
Used it on my C64 and Amiga, until I went to the Arcade parts store and bought and built a real joystick..

So, after I got Amiga's recently, I was really happy to see a Pointmaster in the thrift shop.

Got it, and started playing...
It moved OK, but..
OW...

I ended up with this curved groove in my palm where the circular ridge was digging in as I held it..

Apparently, my smaller hands didn't have this problem, but I can't use that joystick now.. ;-(

desiv
Old 21 June 2012, 10:51   #30
Christian
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by protek View Post
I had both Quickshot I and Quickshot II. Played them to death. Never had the Quickshot II Turbo, which was equipped with micro switches. The Quickshot II does bear a striking resemblance to the Cheetah but there are differences too. QS II didn't have buttons on the base.

Urgh - I had a couple of Quickshot IIs and you're right re the Cheetah. Bloody terrible things though. Too big, too much travel, crappy leaf-spring type setup inside from memory. Just bad
Old 21 June 2012, 11:21   #31
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
Urgh - I had a couple of Quickshot IIs and you're right re the Cheetah. Bloody terrible things though. Too big, too much travel, crappy leaf-spring type setup inside from memory. Just bad
I had a couple of QuickShot IIs, the long shaft made them great with sports games on the c64, their terrible leaf springs made them pretty disposeable when used with sports games on the c64. Not a surprise their lifespan were pretty limited.

So good to use, didn't last long.
Old 21 June 2012, 11:46   #32
Christian
Zone Friend

Hehe, I actually found the Konix Speedking pretty good for sports games (assume you mean Track & Field clones?)

Don't jiggle me joystick so much these days... lol
Old 21 June 2012, 18:51   #33
Photon

Ha ha ha, just got a flashback... I think I have you all beat, even though I agree with Competition Pro and the pistol grip horrors.

TI-99/4A joysticks, may they burn in hell:

The sticks use rings of rubber with conductive parts, you need to exert great power to tilt the whole stick+cross package hard enough to press the rubber down. Your right hand will cramp up after 5 minutes.

But because they're rounded at the bottom, your left hand holding the joystick has to exert great power to counter the hard tilt, so your other hand will also cramp up in 5 minutes.

As if that wasn't enough, the fire buttons worked the same way (push plastic which pushes thick rubber onto a PCB) - but you also had to press the center of the button - which meant that shooting more than 1 shot per second was nigh impossible. You could use no other finger than your left thumb to shoot, and if you steered at the same time, your thumb was needed to stop the joystick from tilting, which meant that you couldn't shoot and steer at the same time.

So if a game required shooting, your left thumb as well as both your hands/underarms would cramp up in 5 minutes.

They were to industrial strength, though. They could easily be thrown into the walls and stomped on without so much as a scratch. And you'd do that a lot, I promise

I think TI is one of the companies that deserved commercial failure in the computer market. They're whole lineup of equipment were a long string of non-standard and bad design decisions.

Last edited by Photon; 21 June 2012 at 18:59.
Old 21 June 2012, 19:05   #34
Christian
Zone Friend

Hahaha, they look shit! You win
Old 21 June 2012, 19:18   #35
tomcat666
Retro Freak

ADS Joystick, made in ex-Yugoslavia... commercially sold. Mechanics were WORSE than Quickshot 2 - aluminum leafs as "switches".

and YES - that is a handle from an actual ski pole ! Your eyes do not deceive you!

Was the first joystick I had on my ZX Spectrum. When I got to C64 we changed to QuickShot II and the Turbo version... one would think we traded up... ;-)
Old 22 June 2012, 09:21   #36
Emu Amiga
Super dooper Amiga fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by protek View Post
So what's the worst joystick that you have ever crossed paths with, ergonomically or otherwise? Let's leave the PC joysticks and console pads outside and concentrate on sticks and controllers that could be connected to your favorite 8 or 16-bit computer.

For me it has to be the Commodore 1311. Luckily never owned the thing myself but have played with it on a few occasions. Stiff and the triangle shaped stick just drills into your palm. Quickshots and such may not have been the most durable sticks but at least they were pleasant to use.
Some may disagree, but the crappiest Joystick i've used was the original Atari 2600 joystick. Back in '77 as in 1977, i actually managed to break a few of these. They were never designed for pre-teen angst lol. For a game pad, that honor goes to the Gravis game pad for Windows 3.1. What a piece of shite. Off topic, the best PC controller for the money imho is the Xbox 360 wired controller. Cool thread +1

Last edited by Emu Amiga; 22 June 2012 at 09:22. Reason: spelling error
Old 22 June 2012, 09:33   #37
rampartsagain

well i think like 90 percent of them are arcade based joysticks some with crazy ideas about practical use at those days nobody cared about ergonomic design all they want was PLAY
Old 24 June 2012, 03:51   #38
john1979

Zetro has already said it but the Cheetah 125+ was really cheaply made.

Whenever we ran out of joysticks my mum would pick up 2 from poundland and we'd destroy em in a week flat.

My favourite joystick ever was the zipstik, super robust, I rate it above the competition pro.
Old 24 June 2012, 08:55   #39
magnetic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
Hehe, I actually found the Konix Speedking pretty good for sports games (assume you mean Track & Field clones?)

Don't jiggle me joystick so much these days... lol

Well for something like track and field a good joystick to have is another one of my favs and my backup stick a TAC 2. The shaft is metal and very well consructed. But i'm not thrilled with the buttons..
Old 24 June 2012, 09:05   #40
s2325
Zone Friend

My 3 worst joysticks:

Elite:

Quickjoy 120:

Colani Highscreen: