English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 15 August 2011, 17:42   #1
Nut

Keyboard buffer problem

I've done a program in ASM and it works fine. I can detect keys and qualifier keys by using a routine in lowlevel.library (so the background I/O system interrupt is running). BUT when I exit my program back to DOS some of the keys I had pressed get written to the DOS window. I suppose they come out of the keyboard buffer or maybe some system structure in memory that holds this stuff. I don't want this to happen. It looks like this in DOS...

1> myprogram
asdqwreytqrwyratsrdtrastrdtsrtrqywetrwterwtetwettqerwetqrwe
1>

I've tried to communicate with the keyboard.device and send a CMD_CLEAR for it and judging from the error codes this succeeded BUT it didn't fix the problem.

I haven't much played with devices (or libraries) before so what should I do???

There's probably something very basic that I have missed.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 16 August 2011, 09:46   #2
Siggy999

I know Piru's startup.asm creates an input handler to swallow input so it doesn't drop through to the cli.

A link to it here:

http://www.sintonen.fi/src/hwstartup/hwstartup.asm

I picked up a lot going over that and trying to work out exactly what it does and how it goes about it.
Old 16 August 2011, 15:39   #3
Nut

Thank you. It has good stuff in it. Also WB support and disabling requesters. Just what I needed. Case closed
Old 16 August 2011, 20:55   #4
Nut

Got it done. Solution was - add an input handler for the input device that tags events as NULL. The details I don't understand much but it works.
Old 08 May 2012, 16:28   #5
Nut

Piru's solution has the disadvantage that it eats all the keys, so you can't close requesters for example. I kind of want it to prevent the echoing of characters on CLI only and not to prevent keystokes.

I found a new very simple solution. I open a small RAW window as first thing in my code. Then close it as last thing in my code. This window will eat all the keys but I will still be able to close requesters in error situations. It was super simple just call Open in exec library and have the filename as 'RAW:50/25/200/50/My Program',0.
Old 08 May 2012, 16:53   #6
Ed Cruse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut View Post
I've done a program in ASM and it works fine. I can detect keys and qualifier keys by using a routine in lowlevel.library (so the background I/O system interrupt is running). BUT when I exit my program back to DOS some of the keys I had pressed get written to the DOS window. I suppose they come out of the keyboard buffer or maybe some system structure in memory that holds this stuff. I don't want this to happen. It looks like this in DOS...

1> myprogram
asdqwreytqrwyratsrdtrastrdtsrtrqywetrwterwtetwettqerwetqrwe
1>

I've tried to communicate with the keyboard.device and send a CMD_CLEAR for it and judging from the error codes this succeeded BUT it didn't fix the problem.

I haven't much played with devices (or libraries) before so what should I do???

There's probably something very basic that I have missed.
Could you have a bug in your program that is causing it to output to the Standard FileHandle (print to dos) during the program clean up before it exits? I've seen this before but the program was actually doing the printing. The keyboard buffer should be empty as long as the Input Handler Chain is working properly.
AdSense AdSense