English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 15 February 2012, 21:33   #981
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I have that same relationship with Steven Seagal movies.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 22 February 2012, 02:22   #982
pubzombie

watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, its made in classic in media res style; starts un the middle of the narrative then progresses through the story in a mixture of flasbacks and actual forward progression. Very little false exposition so you really have to watch closely and listen to conversations to even grasp what is going on. Had to watch it twice to really follow it and then went back and read the book again. Enjoyed it as I like films to make me work for my story, but not one to watch with somebody who keeps asking questions about what is goin on.
Old 22 February 2012, 11:07   #983
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I watched Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy again. Perhaps not the perfect translation of the book, but it still makes me laugh
Old 24 February 2012, 00:37   #984
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Watched The Woman in Black. Better than expected. Quite jumpy! Classic British Hammer horror.
Old 24 February 2012, 10:46   #985
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Amazing. So the first movie with Radcliffe after HP... is actually GOOD!?

What a shocker. Although I've seen him on the Graham Norton show a couple of times now and he's actually quite funny, also completely against my expectations. I believe I have to rethink my opinion of him.

Speaking of movies: this Sunday I'm going to flush some more money and go see Star Wars in 3D. When I saw Avatar the first thing that popped into my head was how awesome Star Wars could be in 3D, and of course Lucas thought how much more money he could make off of idiots like me
Old 24 February 2012, 10:59   #986
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I watched Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy again. Perhaps not the perfect translation of the book, but it still makes me laugh
BBC or that recent one? I'm a huge fan of BBC productions. Kinda enjoyed the movie as well, though it feels strange when Bil Nighy neither bites nor sucks anybody's blood.
Old 24 February 2012, 11:29   #987
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The 2005 Hollywood movie, or what you call the 'recent' one In my opinion Bill Nighy actually delivers the best performance in the movie. When I read the book that was exactly how I imagined the character to be.

Its sad the movie wasn't received well, I would have liked to see how the second and especially the third book would be adapted to the screen. I say especially because when I read the third book my brain went to outer space itself - its so crazy I had a real hard time imagining it all :/ Best part of it: the "its not my problem" invisibility
Old 24 February 2012, 17:28   #988
pubzombie

Watching Threads again.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threads
Its is perhaps the darkest most captivating, in a horrible way, enthralling film I have ever seen.
Takes me back to the 1980s and sense of doom me and my school friends had that we were all going to get fried and turned to ash. YOU NEED TO WATCH this film if you never seen it.
My memories of the time were punctuated by the horror of this drama and the hours we spent playing RPG games as kids.
Its on google vids and YouTube (may have gone from utube) in parts.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...90698427111488
Threads caused a lot of bother for the BBC as Maggy T blamed it for fuelling the recruitment of the CND campaign - it wasnt shown again for years.
It wasnt the first film to do this - the war game was;
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...71032688882557
The US version was called The Day After -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwfWvBqkPu4
happy viewing

Last edited by pubzombie; 24 February 2012 at 18:46. Reason: linky
Old 27 February 2012, 11:03   #989
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Well, I went to see Star Wars the Phantom Menace in 3D. After Avatar that was the first thing that popped into my head that I thought would be cool to actually see in 3D. A side note to make this a little sad: this marks the THIRD time I saw the movie in the cinemas. But at least I didn't dress up at of those instances

I went basically for only one reason: to see the epic pod racing section in 3D, which I find audio-visually spectacular even today. one of the highlight in movie making IMO. I got what I expected; to almost be in the race itself! So me personally I got my money's worth.

But the movie as a whole? It wasn't made to be 3D and it shows. The movie is a cross over between CGI things which translate nicely to 3D and non-cgi flat things which absolutely do NOT translate nicely to 3D. Imagine a 2.5D sprite based game, you'll get the picture of what I had to witness for 2.5 hours. Not 3D but very visually present overlays. The whole problem there is the clash of CGI VS non-CGI; your brain is constantly going "hey, that isn't right! Hey, that isn't right!" and makes the sprite-overlays only too clear. The brain is too good for this movie to fool
Old 11 March 2012, 22:55   #990
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

John Carter.... good movie, excellent visuals, some good humour moments that were not overdone, great cast, even the unheard of to me Taylor Kitsch was alright in the role of John Carter.

I don't see many 3D movies, but as with Avatar, it was a compliment to the movie, not a glaring irritation.

It may seem a little bit familiar, but the source material is over 100 years old, and pretty much most sci-fi movies have cribbed off it, even recently Attack of the Clones.

Only thing thats letting it down is Disneys utterly inept marketing for the movie!
Old 11 March 2012, 23:56   #991
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Only thing thats letting it down is Disneys utterly inept marketing for the movie!
No shit, when I saw the trailer I thought it was for some kiddie Star Wars movie. They even stole the alien language style.

I saw Puss in Boots, and it was pure joy. Don't think that this movie is just quick cash in now that the Shrek franchise is basically dead, PnB is far better than any of them IMO. Good laughs, wacky characters, entertaining story. I'm not bored yet with it by far, I hope this gets at least one sequel.
Old 19 March 2012, 02:23   #992
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Saw the Thing 2011. Blegh, totally misses the point much like Alien VS Predator 2. Its not about putting all the creepiness on screen and make sure you see it happen from every angle, its about putting the images in your mind and then letting them go their own way there...

And Immortals. Certainly a very pretty movie, but they forgot to put anything in there that is actually ENTERTAINING to watch :/ What a waste of time!
Old 19 March 2012, 21:03   #993
skateblind
Village Idiot

I liked the immortals, mainly cause of the flash and epicness, but it is not a good film overall.
Old 26 March 2012, 11:27   #994
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Saw In Time with effing Justin Timberlake.

I was highly entertained; the plot is a bit lost; the characters are basically just sent to and fro a couple of times with people chasing them, but the main winner of the movie is the concept of time (your time to live) replacing cash; the movie depicts quite well (at least to my imagination) how people would react to such a life and how that impacts the lower and upper classes differently.

Who knew that Amanda Seyfried could be that bloody sexy too, its almost criminal!
Old 26 March 2012, 17:48   #995
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
I watched Drive last week. Cracking film!
Old 02 April 2012, 10:58   #996
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Mating Habits of the Earthbound Human. Its a witty and quite original thing narrated very dryly (seriously? That is a valid word?) by David Hyde Pierce - better known as Niles from Frasier.

What is it? Its a documentary on the "mating habits" of humans from the perspective of highly evolved Aliens. Apparently humans are a lesser known species and the aliens are just getting to know us, as they comically get many things wrong. The pulling of a hairpin to loosen the female's hair becomes "she pulls a bone from her skull to impress the male", etc. etc.

I would recommend it for its originality, but the fact of the matter is that it is actually quite hard to sit this movie out. Don't get me wrong, I quite enjoy DHP's voice, but I hope he doesn't do real documentaries to make a buck because he can put people to sleep with his monotonous tone! I recommend not even making the attempt and just seeing the thing in two or even three sittings; as a sort of miniseries it is a lot better

Normally I'd give this thing a 7, but because of the drowsiness problem I give it no more than a 6.
Old 04 April 2012, 23:48   #997
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
I watched Drive last week. Cracking film!
Yeah, great film!

I just watched Lady Snowblood and it was exactly what I thought it was gonna be since I knew it was what "inspired" Kill BIll. I really enjoyed it and I think I'm gonna watch more Japanese films. Highly recommend this if you've seen Kill Bill and enjoyed it. I fyou haven't seen Kill Bill, I'd still recommend it but watch out for the gore as there is a lot of it.

Btw, I watched it with Japanese audio and English subtitles.

8.9/10
Old 12 April 2012, 23:19   #998
Paul_s
Stuck in 1985

Watched Tron/Tron Legacy.... back to back last week

Got to say that Tron Legacy sucks compared to the original which is 30 minutes shorter!

The Legacy story is ludicrous and very little character development/story telling. Graphics might look good in a computer game but I've said this before, CGI if overly done looks rediculous in films - check out the trailer for Total Recall 2012 if you want to know what I'm on about! The fight scene is crap!
Old 14 April 2012, 16:36   #999
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yeah it isn't great, but it is still entertaining enough IMO. They don't tell stories anymore like they used too. Filmmakers should take a good look at the works of Jim Henson and learn a thing or two.

They don't make music anymore like they used too either, inspiration has become so low that I've had to listen to horrible rapes of a few 90's favorites of mine over the last few days Note to artists: you can't improve on the Cranberries or the Smashing Pumpkins. You just don't have the skill, don't even attempt it.
Old 07 May 2012, 21:24   #1000
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

And now for something completely different: Eva, a quaint Spanish science fiction movie with quite nice use of CGI. Use, not abuse.

Only worth it if you can find it on DVD or you can find proper subtitles, the ones I had were -horrible- (think Google translate). Luckily I had a live translator sitting next to me.
AdSense AdSense