Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 July 2009, 22:43   #21
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishtek View Post
Hello,
For those interested,
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48277
and don't complain about price because if done properly this modification is very time consuming. You can of course use your own glue & wires - if you don't want to pay/buy. Photos show that it can be done.
Vesalia should have done this job.
Anyone wants to email me any disk images they want me to test/try out?
Do you have "Flood", i'd like to know if that one works ?
AdSense AdSense  
Advertisement:
Old 07 July 2009, 10:50   #22
quantum112

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishtek View Post
Hello,
For those interested,
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48277
and don't complain about price because if done properly this modification is very time consuming. You can of course use your own glue & wires - if you don't want to pay/buy. Photos show that it can be done.
Vesalia should have done this job.
Anyone wants to email me any disk images they want me to test/try out?
Modding a single floppy doesn't take that long, took me about 30 mins to do. I wouldn't really say it's "invisible", and sorry, but anything with glue on it is a big no to me. Call it as special as you want, but it'll come off sooner or later.
Old 08 July 2009, 05:19   #23
nishtek

@quantum112

thats fine. You can do your own modifications, but not everyone can. Anyway, this modification I have done won't fall apart as I'm using industrial type of glue (one where you can glue two of your fingers, and it burns your skin off when applied, it's meant for plastic/rubber components).

Old 10 July 2009, 02:56   #24
Cammy

I bought an apparently "Brand new" Amiga original replacement floppy drive from some jerk on eBay. It turned out to be one of AmigaKit's modified PC floppy drives, also with the cut-off and re-attached eject button. Although it annoyed me that I was misled to think it was an original replacement part and it wasn't, I was happy enough that it actually worked and could read my Amiga floppy disks...

For about two days! Then the stupid thing stupped working! All the disks I insert are NONDOS or something, not a single one works anymore, I can't format, and I am stuck having to use DF1 for everything.

Cheap PC shit.
Old 10 July 2009, 09:45   #25
quantum112

Oh yes, I'm currently using that drive with the case open, it wouldn't read a brand newly written workbench disk, said it had a read/write error, any disk I copy with it doesn't work, acts like the disk is empty, maybe it has trouble with track 0 or something, I don't know, in any case I ordered a used A500 floppy drive from a guy called AmigaRetroExperience on eBay, hope it isn't too racked up, and I bought an external floppy drive for the A500 too, in bubblewrap in the original box, so that one should hopefully be in good condition.
I couldn't believe my own eyes when I saw someone charging almost $300 for a original refurbished A500 720K Drive (I think it was Fujitsu or something) but seriously when you consider this hell you go through with the drives, is it such a crazy price?
Old 10 July 2009, 16:25   #26
Photon
Oldskool Demo Coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum112 View Post
but seriously when you consider this hell you go through with the drives, is it such a crazy price?
Yes it is.

Are there any new or NOS drives out there with the correct RPM, btw?
Old 10 July 2009, 16:37   #27
cane

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum112 View Post
Oh yes, I'm currently using that drive with the case open, it wouldn't read a brand newly written workbench disk, said it had a read/write error, any disk I copy with it doesn't work, acts like the disk is empty, maybe it has trouble with track 0 or something,
If you'll again need some disk just let me know, no problem at all.
Old 20 March 2012, 10:42   #28
Old Fool
Zone Friend

Does anyone know are those Vesalia's A500 replacement floppy drives still in such condition they cause more problem than joy to customers who have ordered them?
Old 23 March 2012, 17:21   #29
TTD

Send a message via MSN to TTD
I would just ask another way is it possible to repair the damage real amiga floppy drives instead?

It looks like I have one where XTAL is broken, and the tabs for registration about the floppy is in or out also could be damage/broken, and makes read/write problems.
AdSense AdSense  
Advertisement: