TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
The Amiga was a machine with a soul
Amen to that.
Old 21 February 2012, 15:01   #42
moxavius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarival View Post
Amiga was a very important computer, the first real multitasking capable computer
My PC is a real multi-tasker. It can display 10 errors, all at the same time!
Old 21 February 2012, 15:05   #43
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
The Amiga was a machine with a soul.
Absolutely! The disk drive has a character of it's own - NO other computer disk drives made the same 'music' as the amiga drives when loading disks. The 'custom chips' all have soul: - agnus, paula, kickstart. The LED drive lights have soul - they are long and in three coloured parallel bars - so much nicer than a single red 'HAL' LED like most PCs have - and anyone who had an amiga will have goosebumps just remembering those classic drive lights. And then there's the design. And then there's the logo. And then there's the applications and the games and the workbench. The amiga is almost a character - and a mascot - all by itself. Yes I couldn't agree more.

Other annoying things: when they say 'but the PC version is so much better' - oh yeah??!! Keyboard driven CGA/EGA graphics on most games pre-1990, dire sound, clunky gameplay - yeah the amiga still beats some PCs (outside of 3D gaming) even today!
Old 21 February 2012, 15:45   #44
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
the first real multitasking capable computer and you're an IT guy! Know your roots, man!
Eh, no. The Amiga is not the first multi tasking capable computer. Any computer with a programmable timer with interrupt and a changeable stack pointer can do preemptive multitasking.
Old 21 February 2012, 17:27   #45
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Eh, no. The Amiga is not the first multi tasking capable computer. Any computer with a programmable timer with interrupt and a changeable stack pointer can do preemptive multitasking.
Wow you know your stuff Thorham...Well regardless of what the first real multi tasking computer was I think we can all pretty much agree that the Amiga was the first "successful" multi tasking computer, this reminds me of another argument, who invented the world's first working computer, coming first doesn't always seem to guarantee recognition, but I digress.

One thing that always struck me as odd was why there hasn't been any real in depth documentaries about the Amiga, whenever there's a program on tv about computers it's usually geared towards Apple or Microsoft, Commodore is lucky to even get a mention in passing.

Last edited by lordofchaos; 21 February 2012 at 17:34.
Old 21 February 2012, 18:28   #46
moxavius

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
One thing that always struck me as odd was why there hasn't been any real in depth documentaries about the Amiga, whenever there's a program on tv about computers it's usually geared towards Apple or Microsoft, Commodore is lucky to even get a mention in passing.

Because history is written by the winners.
Old 21 February 2012, 19:07   #47
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxavius View Post
Because history is written by the winners.
True, still there's plenty of documentaries out there on lesser known stories and inovations, maybe because it's a computer and computers tend to get lumped together in a general sphere of ignorance...Or maybe it's a global conspiracy, dun dun dahhhh!
Old 21 February 2012, 19:25   #48
moxavius

Quote:
True, still there's plenty of documentaries out there on lesser known stories and inovations, maybe because it's a computer and computers tend to get lumped together in a general sphere of ignorance...Or maybe it's a global conspiracy, dun dun dahhhh!
I think there is valid argument that certain historical information about computers is suppressed by pop media. You will often hear it acknowledged that PCs of the 1980s took all day to boot and weighed as much as a refrigerator, but what you never hear is that Amiga computers of that same era were smaller, far more powerful, had vibrant color, stereo sound, and pre-emptive multi-tasking.

In other words, you'll hear the truth that early PCs were crap. But you rarely hear that the Amiga, an eminently superior product, existed at the same time.
Old 21 February 2012, 19:34   #49
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
In other words, you'll hear the truth that early PCs were crap. But you rarely hear that the Amiga, an eminently superior product, existed at the same time.
Yep I would agree with that. Dam it I need closure! Now you must excuse me, I have to write to Oliver Stone and get this thing straightened out once and for all.
Old 21 February 2012, 19:57   #50
Patarival

Quote:
Of course, but Workbench was the first which did it without any tricks and clever programming - just out of the box.
Old 21 February 2012, 20:20   #51
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Of course, but Workbench was the first which did it without any tricks and clever programming - just out of the box.
On machines for the consumer market, yes. Preemptive multitasking is of course much older than the Amiga, and so are quite a few of it's features. AOS is only innovative as a consumer OS (probably ).
Old 21 February 2012, 20:40   #52
moxavius

Quote:
On machines for the consumer market, yes. Preemptive multitasking is of course much older than the Amiga, and so are quite a few of it's features. AOS is only innovative as a consumer OS (probably ).

I disagree. Amigas were used for a lot of non-consumer things.

I know NASA used them. Movie production, music studios used them, TV stations. Martin-Marietta had a massive rendering farm of Amigas for many years. Military used them. Iomega rumored to use them to emulate Macs because the Macs were too slow. Kiosks, interactive educational displays.. and on and on and on.

I would argue that the Amiga was more successful for commercial and industrial applications and a failure in the consumer market, which is unfortunately the one that counts.

Last edited by moxavius; 21 February 2012 at 21:34.
Old 23 February 2012, 05:22   #53
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
I mean, it was a very important computer, the first real multitasking capable computer and you're an IT guy! Know your roots, man!
Quote:
Wow you know your stuff Thorham...Well regardless of what the first real multi tasking computer was I think we can all pretty much agree that the Amiga was the first "successful" multi tasking computer, this reminds me of another argument, who invented the world's first working computer, coming first doesn't always seem to guarantee recognition, but I digress.
I know my roots and was that "IT guy" Patarival refers to. At the time when Amiga was released my job was with mainframe computers, such as Sperry/Univac 1100 series (Unisys) and Siemens 7500 (BS2000). The bus on those computers were 1024 bits wide IIRC, which still beats the 64bit used in PC systems today, not to mention the operating systems which were multitasking indeed, long before the Amiga.

Regardless of multitasking, the Amiga has soul, no doubt about it. I think any piece of hardware which can stand the tests of time while still having flaws has character, and character is required for that "soul" to slowly build.

Last edited by modrobert; 23 February 2012 at 05:28.
Old 23 February 2012, 18:10   #54
mikele

I hate when those ignorants confuse time frames. When I refer to using Amiga in the early 90s, they usually come up with memories of playing superior Quake or some PlayStation game. It's like:

Me:"oh how I miss the 80s"
X: "yeah, Take That was blast".
Old 23 February 2012, 18:40   #55
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikele View Post
I hate when those ignorants confuse time frames. When I refer to using Amiga in the early 90s, they usually come up with memories of playing superior Quake or some PlayStation game. It's like:

Me:"oh how I miss the 80s"
X: "yeah, Take That was blast".
LOL
Old 23 February 2012, 23:24   #56
mc6809e

Quote:
But before the blitter, though, on previous machines weren't most bit blits handled directly by the CPU or some special circuit that worked together with the CPU? I think the blitter might have been an original feature.

It's a real shame that development on the blitter wasn't continued. Todays GPUs are a logical extension of the blitter. Commodore could have put the Amiga on a PC card and owned the graphics acceleration market. That foot-in-the-door might have even put the Amiga's OS in a position to displace the offerings of Microsoft.